Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default With the success of X-MEN 97 is it time to get Claremont back full time?

Should Marvel do it?

DISCUSS!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Reminder that Claremont once wrote a small story with Hellion in an anthology book or whatever. I didn't read the whole book, just the story with Hellion.

So what I'm saying is, I'd be up for Claremontian stuff if it was about Hellion. Because tbh a lot of his more recent stuff has felt very dated and bland. That might have been a limitation, since he was basically froced to stick to past stories and didn't get a chance to visit Krakoa. But we know he can write Hellion, so let's start there.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Reminder that Claremont once wrote a small story with Hellion in an anthology book or whatever. I didn't read the whole book, just the story with Hellion.

So what I'm saying is, I'd be up for Claremontian stuff if it was about Hellion. Because tbh a lot of his more recent stuff has felt very dated and bland. That might have been a limitation, since he was basically froced to stick to past stories and didn't get a chance to visit Krakoa. But we know he can write Hellion, so let's start there.
    Marvel loves Synergy this is a perfect chance for it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

The question is not should Marvel do it, but if Claremont wants to do it. I think now that he is old, he doesn't want to be tied down to a monthly.

I love Claremont's first run and that will never change but no he shouldn't be handed the keys to the franchise. At this point he's to bitter and set in his ways to ever allow the franchise to move forward beyond his vision of the X-Men.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I love Claremont's first run and that will never change but no he shouldn't be handed the keys to the franchise. At this point he's to bitter and set in his ways to ever allow the franchise to move forward beyond his vision of the X-Men.
    Except his vision of the X-Men is what Marvel/Disney/Fox is pushing. It's not like Marvel his any stars lying around. Marvel should let him cook.

No...

The series in question is literally set decades ago.

Everything else has long since moved on.

No. I'll always love his earlier work, but I haven't liked a single X-book he's written in the past 20 years. Not to mention, he left the books in 91. So I'm not sure how much credit he should get for 90's X-Men nostalgia.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    He still seems to know his craft as a writer, but he can't bring back what is long gone.

It can be argued that when people say they want him back, what they actualy mean is that they want the feeling and quality of his writing from back in the 70's and 80's back.

But that was the result of a specific environment. The state of the world, Marvel as a company, the editorial and the writer himself at the time. All of that changed. So just like someone can never experience a 1970's Rolling Stones concernt live again, it's unlikely that the man alone would be able to create another 1970/80's X-men comic.

Perhaps this wouldn't be such a problem if the X-men comics would have had another such long time of consistency and quality of writing after his run ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    No. I'll always love his earlier work, but I haven't liked a single X-book he's written in the past 20 years. Not to mention, he left the books in 91. So I'm not sure how much credit he should get for 90's X-Men nostalgia.
    90's nostalgia in regards to the X-men comics, seems to only mean everything between 1990 and 1992. With the period from 1995 to 2000 in particular having quite a bad
    reputation.

It's arguably TAS, which mainly drew from stories of the 70's and 80's stories, which dominates the X-men nostalgia of that decade.
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-21-2024 at 09:35 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    No...

The series in question is literally set decades ago.

Everything else has long since moved on.
    Exactly this.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

He had his time. CC not again. That said I do like him.
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    He had his time. CC not again. That said I do like him.
    "Had" his time? We're still in his time. His stuff connects with the only audience that matters, casuals.

Mighty Member

No. I love his stuff and his original run was great and gave a lot of great stories, but I don’t think he has “it” anymore when it comes to these characters. Magic doesn’t happen twice very often and he had several chances and they hadn’t always landed for the most part. If I want a great Claremont story, I’ll reread his uncanny run (especially the Outback era).

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    "Had" his time? We're still in his time. His stuff connects with the only audience that matters, casuals.
    No...

An incredibly small slice may have connected with whoever you are talking about.

Let me know when they are stepping over each other to get to X-Treme X-Men.

Unglaublich!

There's literally no way that CC's impact on the X-Men, and in comics in general, can or should ever be downplayed. The man absolutely changed the game forever and he should always be recognised and applauded for that.

But no, I really wouldn't want to see him given the X-reins again nowadays. To me, he seems to be quite firmly stuck in 1991 with regards to the characters and their personalities - pretty much everything he writes today is a retro piece (that may be editorial mandate, rather than his choice though) and he's made no secret that he's not a fan of the directions "his" franchise has taken.

I loved his original run, and I loved a decent chunk of his X-Treme X-Men too, but he's not a good "modern" X-Men scribe in my opinion, as much as it saddens me to say that. The guy is a legend but I really wouldn't want to see him writing a current day X-title.

Speaking very personally, given the 90s nostalgia at the moment, I'd quite like to see Scott Lobdell come back. He and Fabian pretty much shaped the 90s X-Men and I thought he was a very good successor to Claremont.