Page 130 of 655 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180230630 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 9824
    BANNED

I always thought Bachalo's Gen X art was absolutely beautiful whenever I picked an issue up, but I could never invest long-term in the book as a teen bc it was more of Scott Lobdell, the hack (and sex pest) who dominated the line for years. I did love Generation Next in AoA, and I've finally begun reading the Wood/Ellis Counter-X run.

All-New Member

hey everyone!

I just leave this article about "Dark Phoenix" here in this thread.

"Unbecoming Woman: 'Dark Phoenix' and the Dethronement of the Wealthy White Male Hero"

https://www.popmatters.com/dark-phoe...639789255.html

Cheers

Fantastic Member

even though they are great characters the x-men are villians and why would the humans ever trust a i's I think they would be luddites both anti mutant and anti a i. in reality there are people like that and I actually would be in that position if there are really super humans either evolved or made or artificial intelligence as well . But hickman refuses to talk about that third position and only writes about the machine men and homo superior

BANNED

UO? of the night: I really liked the books finally doing a Logan/Ororo romance for realsies. Claremont teed it up in Reload after all the years of teasing and then it came back more recently. If it's already done I think that's a shame. That's as close as I come to an OTP for both. It has so much history and yet is kind of elegantly simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix33 View Post
    hey everyone!

"Unbecoming Woman: 'Dark Phoenix' and the Dethronement of the Wealthy White Male Hero"

Cheers
    huh. this is a, dare I say, scorching take. thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix33 View Post
    hey everyone!

Cheers
    Interesting, a bit long. Quoting Pierre Bourdieu?
    But I disagree with:
    Charles was already portrayed as feeling uncomfortable with Raven's physical mutation, wishing that she would hide her "natural blue form" from the rest of society.
    Raven thought maybe it was the case. But, in my opinion, Charles wanted Raven to keep a low profile, to blend because he knew the effect her apparence had on humans. On the contrary, he was fascinated by all mutations. But, and I agree with the essay on this, his desire of peace, integration goaded him to ignore the need of mutants to be seen as mutants and nothing more and nothing less. Also, I agree, the desire to make of mutants heroes, perfect citizens was, indeed, a great pressure.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

I'm reading X-Men Red and it's awful. Almost as bad as Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post
    I'm reading X-Men Red and it's awful. Almost as bad as Gold.
    I think that makes two of us who didn’t like X-Men Red. Never read Gold, so I don’t have that as a point of reference though.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I can't believe there are people who don't think Emma belongs on the X-Men, but that's probably because my first run was Morrison's so she's irreplaceable to me. The team dynamics are more interesting when she's around.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I think that makes two of us who didn’t like X-Men Red. Never read Gold, so I don’t have that as a point of reference though.
    I don't MIND Red, especially compared to the utter travesties that were Gold and Blue, but for it basically being a Jean solo, a lot of agency for Jean was taken away. She barely fought, she needed reinforcements at every possible turn, and won via Care Bear Stare, which is about an empty of a comic book victory as you can have.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I can't believe there are people who don't think Emma belongs on the X-Men, but that's probably because my first run was Morrison's so she's irreplaceable to me. The team dynamics are more interesting when she's around.
    I feel like the X-Men have a history of making excuses for bad behavior on the part of fellow mutants, and have lost sight of where to draw the line. Rogue's addition to the team rattled a bunch of them, back in the day, and they were willing to argue with Xavier on the point, but more recently, Emma, Namor, Magneto, Sabertooth, Kwannon, Juggernaut, Mystique, Sebastian Shaw, even Apocalypse, have hung with the team for a time. It seems like any sort of moral authority they had is long, long gone, and there's no line any more that you can cross to be shut out, so long as you are a mutant.

And while I don't mind any one of those characters individually, it's kind of a pattern now, and I don't love the pattern...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I feel like the X-Men have a history of making excuses for bad behavior on the part of fellow mutants, and have lost sight of where to draw the line. Rogue's addition to the team rattled a bunch of them, back in the day, and they were willing to argue with Xavier on the point, but more recently, Emma, Namor, Magneto, Sabertooth, Kwannon, Juggernaut, Mystique, Sebastian Shaw, even Apocalypse, have hung with the team for a time. It seems like any sort of moral authority they had is long, long gone, and there's no line any more that you can cross to be shut out, so long as you are a mutant.

And while I don't mind any one of those characters individually, it's kind of a pattern now, and I don't love the pattern...
    I get thinking reformed villain joins the team is an overused trope, but that's true for all of comics, not just the X-Men. The Avengers have Hawkeye, Black Widow, the Maximoffs, etc. The difference between Emma and the other characters you mentioned are that A. she was reformed a lot longer than them, and had been that way quite a while before she actually joined the team, and B. she is such a longstanding "official" member (even up to becoming Headmistress of the school) whereas the other villains seem to only stay on the team for a run or two.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I can't believe there are people who don't think Emma belongs on the X-Men
    I can’t believe people think a woman who raped Storm, committed multiple mass murders, tortured children, and worst of all killed Butter Rum(RIP) belongs with the X-Men.

There’s also the fact that she’s part of the mega-rich white elite and she’s involved with a pseudo-Illuminati that undoubtedly deals in sex trafficking, assassinations, and a slew of white-collar crimes. The reality of Emma Frost and The Hellfire Club probably looks something like Jeffrey Epstein and his secret club of pedophile politicians, princes, and billionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I can’t believe people think a woman who raped Storm, committed multiple mass murders, tortured children, and worst of all killed Butter Rum(RIP) belongs with the X-Men.

There’s also the fact that she’s part of the mega-rich white elite and she’s involved with a pseudo-Illuminati that undoubtedly deals in sex trafficking, assassinations, and a slew of white-collar crimes. The reality of Emma Frost and The Hellfire Club probably looks something like Jeffrey Epstein and his secret club of pedophile politicians, princes, and billionaires.
    I can't believe a murderer of billions (Beast, Bishop, Jean, Charles), a murderer of thousands (Magneto, Wolverine), Mutant Hitler (Cyclops) or the person responsible for the massacre of the Morlocks (Gambit) belong with the X-Men either.

If you want to count Emma's control of Storm as "rape", then Charles is the largest rapist since Ted Bundy, and teen Jeen isn't far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I can't believe a murderer of billions (Beast, Bishop, Jean, Charles), a murderer of thousands (Magneto, Wolverine), Mutant Hitler (Cyclops) or the person responsible for the massacre of the Morlocks (Gambit) belong with the X-Men either.

If you want to count Emma's control of Storm as "rape", then Charles is the largest rapist since Ted Bundy, and teen Jeen isn't far behind.
    Some of that stuff should be retconed to be honest, Marvel has gone too far with certain characthers. I can understand why people would see what Emma did to her as more... lets say invasive than Xavier, because he wasn't just prying in her head, she used her body to kiss and maybe had sex with Shaw (although that last part is debatable) is almost as creepy as the shape-shifter plots that comics so often use in less than ideal ways.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona