Page 432 of 657 FirstFirst ... 332382422428429430431432433434435436442482532 ... LastLast
Results 6,466 to 6,480 of 9847
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    My hot take. Despite Marvel's attempts to demonize Scott, the reason why some fans were endeared to him was bc he was relatable and owned his sh-t. He wasnt a saint and did some messed up things but he's a character that has been able to have the self awareness to acknowledge that and even apologize. He's even been able to see the error of his ways and reflect on them. He saw the things he did as necessary for the time and never acted holier than thou like he was better than anyone else. I think that right there made him better than the likes of Logan and Beast bc their hypocrisy dripped off their shoulders and they judged and looked down on others for stuff that they would (and have done). Scott took accountability for his actions in a way that they never did.
    Bingo. And that's something to this day, Marvel still doesn't get.

My hot take. Despite Marvel's attempts to demonize Scott, the reason why some fans were endeared to him was bc he was relatable and owned his sh-t. He wasnt a saint and did some messed up things but he's a character that has been able to have the self awareness to acknowledge that and even apologize. He's even been able to see the error of his ways and reflect on them. He saw the things he did as necessary for the time and never acted holier than thou like he was better than anyone else. I think that right there made him better than the likes of Logan and Beast bc their hypocrisy dripped off their shoulders and they judged and looked down on others for stuff that they would (and have done). Scott took accountability for his actions in a way that they never did.
    If marvel wanted to demonize, they would let him became a mass murder.

Scott apologize? when was that? he admitted he was wrong only after years to only himself and never apologized to Beast/Logan/Captain america.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Cyclops reminds me of Luke Skywalker where a lot of people (particularly nerds which isn't a term I'm using as a pejorative) grew up envisioning themselves as him so they live vicariously through him now. And any attempts to depict either character as flawed is viewed as a personal attack against these fans since they can't separate reality from fantasy and have invested so much of their own identity in these fictional characters. Meanwhile the traditional "cool" characters like Wolverine and Han Solo, who the general pubic fell for, are demonized by these fans because they feel themselves rejected since they don't identify with them or feel they can't be like them. The major push Cyclops has gotten in the past few decades as the X-Men's figurehead is an indication of that and displays an unwillingness for typically straight, white male writers to expand beyond their own POV, which is why Storm's character has basically been sidelined since Claremont left.
    Kinda of funny that fans loved the violent Luke from mandalorian, but hated the flawed chaarcter on the last jedi.

Cyclops allow fans to imagine theirselves as alpha male and hyper violent, even the intention was good it was wrong. It's a Punisher 2.0 kida of thing.
    Last edited by Rang10; 02-22-2021 at 07:28 PM.

BANNED

Lol when they want to trash a character, they will do it without a "it wasn't actually me" scapegoat. Nuff said.

Extraordinary Member

He erases random people's memories to conceal the X-Men's identities. There's nothing wrong with that, especially considering the most famous example would be the Jedi mind trick in Star Wars. There's a difference between that and completely erasing someone's identity or mentally compelling them to stay with him in the X-Men. The only example I can think of the latter that occurred was in the 90s with Amelia Voght when she was retconned into his backstory and she left him and for a split second he reached out to her with his powers. When she realized it, that fully prompted her to leave and he was ashamed of himself.

The issue with Kitty's parents was that they were upset their daughter was in danger. It's one thing to erase their memories of the X-Men but another thing altogether to take away their objections to Kitty joining the school, a line Xavier wouldn't have crossed. Hence why when her parents move her to the Massachusetts Academy, Xavier didn't exactly go visit them and brainwash them into letting Kitty stay. Same as with Jean and Metro College. I don't know why you keep pretending that him using his telepathy to mask the X-Men's identities as at all similar, especially since every telepath (Jean, Betsy, Rachel) is guilty of doing that.

Like I said, I've never seen that MCP story ever referenced again by any other writer and for good reason.
    Sorry...but gotta disagree on that one...it is an assault. Plain and simple. Telepaths who muck around with people's minds without their consent are committing a violent crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post

Scott apologize? when was that? he admitted he was wrong only after years to only himself and never apologized to Beast/Logan/Captain america.

Kinda of funny that fans loved the violent Luke from mandalorian, but hated the flawed chaarcter on the last jedi.

Cyclops allow fans to imagine theirselves as alpha male and hyper violent, even the intention was good it was wrong. It's a Punisher 2.0 kida of thing.
    After the whole AvX things, when Cyclops wake up, Beast is there to rub it on his face, obviously. When Hank asks Cyclops if he regrets what he did, Scott's answer is that he know he did bad things and the he deserves to be punished for his actions, but that if the end result was to bring mutants back, he would knowingly do it all over again.
    You see, Cyclops response wasn't a "I was possessed" or a "If I knew the consequences I would not have done it" or even a "I wish it it didn't happened", his response was that while he wasn't proud of what he did and his actions had consequences he regreted, ultimately he would still do it because he had a goal and that goal was achieved.

That was his response, not happy, not proud, but the job was done and he was fine with that. It's a reaction we just don't see in comics very often, and it set him apart from the run of the mill "hero gone bad" storyline.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 02-22-2021 at 08:03 PM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

But they did- and for more than a year that's what they did, some horrible thing that happened off-panel, but no one talked exactly what it was. They only backed down after the horrible fan and critic reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    But they did- and for more than a year that's what they did, some horrible thing that happened off-panel, but no one talked exactly what it was. They only backed down after the horrible fan and critic reaction.
    They let people think he did something bad. The most important thing is that he did not commit any crime against inhumans, It was just a mistery to keep people guessing. Well they backed down because that was never the plan

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    After the whole AvX things, when Cyclops wake up, Beast is there to rub it on his face, obviously. When Hank asks Cyclops if he regrets what he did, Scott's answer is that he know he did bad things and the he deserves to be punished for his actions, but that if the end result was to bring mutants back, he would knowingly do it all over again.
    You see, Cyclops response wasn't a "I was possessed" or a "If I knew the consequences I would not have done it" or even a "I wish it it didn't happened", his response was that while he wasn't proud of what he did and his actions had consequences he regreted, ultimately he would still do it because he had a goal and that goal was achieved.

That was his response, not happy, not proud, but the job was done and he was fine with that. It's a reaction we just don't see in comics very often, and it set him apart from the run of the mill "hero gone bad" storyline.
    Apologize means not doing it again, means ifinding other ways, that is what heroes should do. He didn't regretted it in any way if he would do it.
    At least he accepted the punishment, that means he wasnt right. Later he run away, so he wasn't even punished
    Last edited by Rang10; 02-22-2021 at 08:19 PM.

I’m really enjoying everyone calling Logan a hypocrite like Scott isn’t also a hypocrite. Also Scott, Emma and the X-Men were 100% in the right in IvX. The inhumans were straight up villains with marvel somehow trying to make them look like heroes at worst and innocents at best. Such a garbage story all around.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Sorry...but gotta disagree on that one...it is an assault. Plain and simple. Telepaths who muck around with people's minds without their consent are committing a violent crime.
    I'm not getting into this. This is just like the people who claim Jedi Mind Tricks are akin to rape and no, they aren't, talk to any rape survivor. There's a difference between what someone like Xavier does to protect the identities of his students versus what unscrupulous telepaths like Frost or Moondragon did with their powers. By your logic, that also demonizes Peter and MJ in One More Day because they got Mephisto to erase everyone's memories of Peter being publicly known as Spider-Man and that's literally the same thing. A good portion of the X-characters, including the non-telepaths like Karma, would be charged with violent crimes according to your logic then.

He should also apologize to Wanda for literally saying he wanted to burn her at the stake for M-Day. Where was this when his sexually assaulting, horse-killing, terrorist girlfriend later actually does commit genocide? What a massive hypocrite yet the fans eat this behavior right up.

I knew you had good taste when you brought up your SW views! Luke in TLJ vs Mando is exactly what I was referring to because of that double standard with toxic masculinity. Male fans were literally shedding tears because their power fantasy was finally fulfilled onscreen for them with Luke in Mando, whereas apparently anybody who ships Reylo or cried over Ben Solo's death is weak and not a real Star Wars fan. It's all right to bully and harass female SW fans in their eyes but the second anybody dissed them for their emotional outbursts over Luke, they literally complained online and demanded a public apology from Lucasfilm. I never realized how toxic Luke stans were until the last few years, such as claiming they hated Rey, not because she was a woman, but because she wasn't a Skywalker. Yet, when Leia suddenly beat Luke in a training session in the flashback in TROS, when George Lucas confirmed that he planned on revealing Leia was the real Chosen One, and when a new canon book had Yoda state that he wanted to train Leia and not Luke, the Luke stans showed their true colors and went after Leia as well. Leia's a Skywalker so there's no excuse here that she isn't of the same bloodline like Rey for them to get upset about, which means the only common denominator is the fact that they were just angry that a woman upstaged Luke, which they flat out admit to.

Cyclops fans are exactly alike and the hypocrisy of his writers, the ones who live vicariously through him, is living proof. Just like Star Wars is not allowed to expand beyond the Skywalkers, specifically Luke, the X-Men are not allowed to grow outside of Cyclops, a discount Captain America without any of the heart or the soul that Cap has.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I just think you proved the point Omega Alpha was trying to make. The quality of the books doesn’t actually have anything to do with whether Logan and Scott are alive or not, but about the resources that the X-office has and the overall creative vision.
    But you can't deny that whenever Scott has been around (which is most of the time), he's completely dominated the stories to the detriment of most of the other mutant characters. The overall creative vision of the franchise has centered around him and before anyone could get their bearing when he was gone, he was brought back, and the pattern repeats itself. We need fresh blood, not only in characters and who the X-Men should focus on, but also with the creatives so we don't get the same bland and whitebread, straight male writers who can only see themselves in Cyclops. Even Chris Claremont, who was a big Cyclops fan, recognized his time was up and the book needed to set him aside so it could grow. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't have one of the most dynamic female characters in Storm since she would have always played second-fiddle to Cyclops.

He should also apologize to Wanda for literally saying he wanted to burn her at the stake for M-Day. Where was this when his sexually assaulting, horse-killing, terrorist girlfriend later actually does commit genocide? What a massive hypocrite yet the fans eat this behavior right up.
    Again Scott was dead during IVX. Why do you keep going back to that? You keep going in on him about things that transpired which he was not around for nor was he responsible for

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Lol when they want to trash a character, they will do it without a "it wasn't actually me" scapegoat. Nuff said.
    The problem is indeed that writers don’t think twice about “trashing a character” and after other writers use the same characters without revisit the matter because this subject doesn’t interest them.
    It creates characters with dubious baggage and the other characters don’t usually seem to bother.

The sane thing would be to not consider the past as the author generally does when it is not the stuff he has created and he doesn’t take it in account.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Again Scott was dead during IVX. Why do you keep going back to that? You keep going in on him about things that transpired which he was not around for nor was he responsible for
    Did I say he was not dead? Please read more carefully next time. He had no issue wanting to kill Wanda for her actions, yet his girlfriend actually did commit genocide and in his name, and we haven't seen him address that with the same vehemence as he did with Wanda. Why is he not calling to burn the fake blonde at the stake or put her down then going by his logic and alleged principles? Clearly a double standard here and the same is true for his supporters.

But you can't deny that whenever Scott has been around (which is most of the time), he's completely dominated the stories to the detriment of most of the other mutant characters. The overall creative vision of the franchise has centered around him and before anyone could get their bearing when he was gone, he was brought back, and the pattern repeats itself. We need fresh blood, not only in characters and who the X-Men should focus on, but also with the creatives so we don't get the same bland and whitebread, straight male writers who can only see themselves in Cyclops. Even Chris Claremont, who was a big Cyclops fan, recognized his time was up and the book needed to set him aside so it could grow. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't have one of the most dynamic female characters in Storm since she would have always played second-fiddle to Cyclops.
    I see way more writers projecting themselves onto Wolverine than Cyclops tbh. Also blaming racism, misogyny, and general bias from writers on a fictional character is ridiculous. I want a diverse X-line more than anything, but scapegoating Cyclops for all these clearly systemic problems with Marvel/ the X-Office seems like a convenient way for you to vent your frustrations about a character with no actual autonomy of his own.

Also Cyclops wasn’t even dating Emma before he died. She totally went over the line with what she did to the Inhumans, but the mutants were actually the ones who were gonna go extinct cause of that story NOT the Inhumans. I believe the next time they saw each other they weren’t even on speaking terms and mutants were facing ANOTHER extinction, so don’t really think there was time to sidebar.