Page 305 of 657 FirstFirst ... 205255295301302303304305306307308309315355405 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,575 of 9846

Well, pre-cogs aren’t being resurrected for a reason...

Surely it’s not because of the COVID-19 victory tea party in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'd rather they try to keep some heroic aspects of the team around. Otherwise you might as well just replace their X belt buckles with Punisher logos.

I miss the days when we had one team that was the militant strike force and the other teams that didn't approve. You actually saw multiple views on the subject and it provided some nice contrast and character conflict

The idea that EVERYONE on Krakoa is okay playing by the same rules robs us a lot of that.
    I agree: I liked the dialectic of old days. The current statu quo feels anti-climatic for me.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    The not kill humans rule is stupid.
    There is no do not kill humans rule

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    The not kill humans rule is stupid.
    Nothing wrong with the mutants keeping themselves in check while making a safe place for them in the world and winning humans over economically, politically, and such, with the understanding of what has happened in the past. The constant destruction of more bodies piling up and blood being spilled won’t do any favors for anyone.

Am I wrong, or are they WAAAAAAY more killing and maiming crazy than they used to be? I might just be underappreciating how brutal they used to be. The extra emphasis they've placed on themselves with the never-enforced Rule and the lack of danger because of the respawn system isn't doing them any favors.

Literally every book is a black ops strike team. The only one that technically isn't is New Mutants, and Magik is certainly acting like she's leading one.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Am I wrong, or are they WAAAAAAY more killing and maiming crazy than they used to be? I might just be underappreciating how brutal they used to be. The extra emphasis they've placed on themselves with the never-enforced Rule and the lack of danger because of the respawn system isn't doing them any favors.

Literally every book is a black ops strike team. The only one that technically isn't is New Mutants, and Magik is certainly acting like she's leading one.
    that pretty much only applies to x-force, who are exempt from the rule and try to avoid killing as much a possible - see Domino being encouraged not to kill in the issue where they're protecting that human philanthropist collective or whatever it was. I'll come back with pics lol

also, re: magik : is killing Shi'Ar commandos really that bad? they just grow back . maybe that's too flippant of me. I don't think her being a lil unhinged is anything new and its not like she encouraged the NM to do the same. they weren't exactly her team that issue
    Last edited by houndsofluv; 05-27-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Nothing wrong with the mutants keeping themselves in check while making a safe place for them in the world and winning humans over economically, politically, and such, with the understanding of what has happened in the past. The constant destruction of more bodies piling up and blood being spilled won’t do any favors for anyone.
    I am not saying kill all humans just the ones stupid enough to attack them. When humans realize attacking them only results in their death and yet continue to do so they can blame no one but themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    that pretty much only applies to x-force, who are exempt from the rule and try to avoid killing as much a possible - see Domino being encouraged not to kill in the issue where they're protecting that human philanthropist collective or whatever it was. I'll come back with pics lol

also, re: magik : is killing Shi'Ar commandos really that bad? they just grow back . maybe that's too flippant of me. I don't think her being a lil unhinged is anything new and its not like she encouraged the NM to do the same. they weren't exactly her team that issue
    That's fair. That's always kind of been Magik. I was mostly talking about her conversation with Cyclops when he tried to talk to her about the fiasco around Beak.

But seriously: Fallen Angels: strike team book. X-force: Strike team book. Marauders: ostensibly pirates, but has become a strike team book. Hellions: strike team! Wolverine: acting as a one man black ops agent in one of his storylines, not so much the vampire one. Excalibur: acting as Apocalypse' black ops team to further his agenda. Here's hoping X-Factor keeps the investigation angle.

I'm oversimplifying a bit, I know. But everything is kind of same-y, and nowhere is anything resembling straight superheroics.

Here's hoping X-Factor keeps the investigation angle.

I'm oversimplifying a bit, I know. But everything is kind of same-y, and nowhere is anything resembling straight superheroics.
    You want straight black and white super hero theatrics. I feel they should have a constellation of points of view on the same books doing different things.

To make a point I would say X-Factor would get boring fast if there was no philosophical ambiguity. That doesn’t mean the team should spend its days eliminating the mass murders of mutants, but there are also those on the team who very much see it as their civic duty to do so. You want to have built in tension and debates between characters that doesn’t feel forced. You take the drama out of it though if a title has too many characters on the same side of an issue.

If you don’t have philosophical divergence what do you have? Super hero battles and typically blood awful romance/soap theatrics. That isn’t enough.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-27-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Honestly, yeah, I kind of want one book out of the almost 10 book line to be closer to straight superheroics. The problem I have is that they all feel really similar with each other. And when everything they're doing is kinda-shady morally dubious 'national security' junk, it gets old. Plus it makes it harder to root for them, or at least see them as the good guys. Assholes vs. assholes is tough to make interesting for an extended time.

The debates and discussions can be really hit or miss. Making everything some grand moral quandary is exhausting. A lot of the philosophizing feels like bog standard sci-fi schlock, with an extra dose of pretension.

It's the impression I have too… It's not there wasn't violence before, but before there was a plurality and a diversity of opinions about the means to use to achieve a goal. And it was discussed.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I feel the same way and miss how teams had different directives and there was more variance in opinions. I have for some time now. There just seems to be this single minded obsession with the black-ops stuff now and doesn't seem that it will be abating anytime soon. But there is also that there seems to always be a reboot where peoples morals will suddenly change without explanation. And no you aren't imagining it. There is definitely an increase in violence, extreme violence like ultra detailed stuff. Some seem to be gross-out shock-gore. I think people are sounding the same too and I may be alone in this but all characters doing the #@!! thing is odd. My favorite character is stuck in the complete opposite of this, though. Its to the point he is pigeon-holed as conscience and pal only and that's not all I want from the character. Probably alone in that as well.

Spectacular Member

I feel like I'm going to get butchered here given how loved it is generally, but I find myself not enjoying Remender's X-Force. I'm in the middle of Dark Angel saga and there's nothing about it that makes me want to dive into it and read it quickly. I find myself going* to other titles from that era and have an easier time reading them even though Wolverine's side after Schism seem like a bunch of hypocrites to me.

*I'm currently reading most X-Men related titles since House of M on Marvel Unlimited

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops_was_right View Post
    I feel like I'm going to get butchered here given how loved it is generally, but I find myself not enjoying Remender's X-Force. I'm in the middle of Dark Angel saga and there's nothing about it that makes me want to dive into it and read it quickly. I find myself going* to other titles from that era and have an easier time reading them even though Wolverine's side after Schism seem like a bunch of hypocrites to me.

*I'm currently reading most X-Men related titles since House of M on Marvel Unlimited
    It's an unpopular but correct opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post

No it doesnt just apply to X-Force. Kitty, Bobby and Storm have all been maiming people over in Maraurders