Page 388 of 664 FirstFirst ... 288338378384385386387388389390391392398438488 ... LastLast
Results 5,806 to 5,820 of 9952
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I mostly agree with you except for Jean Grey, who stays dead too long for me consider her core. I think is more like

Core 1.Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops
    Core 2. Jean, Beast,Kitty, Magneto, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Iceman,Xavier
    really close Bishop, Asian Betsy, Angel, Gambit, Colossus, Cable **Magik

They are 3 X-men who are clearly slightly important than rest but isn't important enough because of nature of the franchise to need have all three of them around. It is really hard to do a team that feels offical without someone from Core 1 but if you stick enough people from Core 2 and the "really close group" you can get away it for a little while but the big X-men formula that works normally at least 1 out of 3 of Core 1 and depending how much you use from Core 1,determines how much you use from the next group.

And my controversial opinion is that Magik is now A-list X-man, She does the berserker loose canon Wolverine thing very well and writers have recognized that and have been using her to the fullest.
    This is the biggest problem with the X-men. The X-men should not have a core set of characters. ANY X-MEN SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE THE CORE! You know what I defend? Ultimatum for killing every major X-men character and forcing the books to explore new direction (a run written by Hickman btw) they should Bench every X-men made before 2000 and just try some experimental stuff with new leaders instead of all this navel gasing! THEY BROUGHT MORIA BACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    This is the biggest problem with the X-men. The X-men should not have a core set of characters. ANY X-MEN SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE THE CORE! You know what I defend? Ultimatum for killing every major X-men character and forcing the books to explore new direction (a run written by Hickman btw) they should Bench every X-men made before 2000 and just try some experimental stuff with new leaders instead of all this navel gasing! THEY BROUGHT MORIA BACK!
    It doesn't work like that every team has its superstars, Not every character is meant to be majorly important some character are great support characters like Cecilia Reyes,Forge or Beast. The X-men franchise is the best franchise in the business at making B to B+ level characters. Once you use Core 1 and Core 2 character as an anchor, Every character in the franchise feels like they can be made useful in that scenario. Every X-MEN CHARACTER CAN BECOME CORE IF THERE IS CORE X-CHARACTER AROUND. They are 3 things you need to make the X-men work concept

1. Xavier forms the team or the X-gene
    2. Mutants are hate and feared
    3. At least one of Cyclops,Wolverine and Storm and if you only use one of those them then at least one of Kitty, Jean, Nightcrawler, etc to make fans instantly think X-men.

For a new X-character to feel like a core X-men they need meaningful adventures with characters fans recognize as core characters .The reason the X-factor, Excalibur, X-force, New Mutants characters don't feel like core characters despite being under the banner of X-men for years now ,They don't have enough meaningful stories on the biggest stage with the biggest characters. Until characters have meaningful stories with big characters Fans won't accept them as such.

X-men fans are egotistical in believing every character is important or can breakthrough to a high level. Here is the honest truth you give me Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Xavier, Magneto and Kitty and you take rest 200 plus something X-men to go make books. In a one year I will have 30 or 40 new characters the quality of your top 50 characters. You won't have ANY characters that match my top 5.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-15-2020 at 05:14 AM.

What I wonder is: “what does it mean to be a X-men?”

There is this confusion between “mutant” and “X-men”, like being a X-men is just being a “super-mutant”, a mutant that has cool powers and a sense of community.

If it’s just being that, why would any X-men be more important than any mutant? Well, any person, to be honest…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It doesn't work like that every team has its superstars, Not every character is meant to be majorly important some character are great support characters like Cecilia Reyes,Forge or Beast. The X-men franchise is the best franchise in the business at making B to B+ level characters. Once you use Core 1 and Core 2 character as an anchor, Every character in the franchise feels like they can be made useful in that scenario. Every X-MEN CHARACTER CAN BECOME CORE IF THERE IS CORE X-CHARACTER AROUND. They are 3 things you need to make the X-men work concept

1. Xavier forms the team or the X-gene
    2. Mutants are hate and feared
    3. At least one of Cyclops,Wolverine and Storm and if you only use one of those them then at least one of Kitty, Jean, Nightcrawler, etc to make fans instantly think X-men.

For a new X-character to feel like a core X-men they need meaningful adventures with characters fans recognize as core characters .The reason the X-factor, Excalibur, X-force, New Mutants characters don't feel like core characters despite being under the banner of X-men for years now ,They don't have enough meaningful stories on the biggest stage with the biggest characters. Until characters have meaningful stories with big characters Fans won't accept them as such.

X-men fans are egotistical in believing every character is important or can breakthrough to a high level. Here is the honest truth you give me Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Xavier, Magneto and Kitty and you take rest 200 plus something X-men to go make books. In a one year I will have 30 or 40 new characters the quality of your top 50 characters. You won't have ANY characters that match my top 5.
    Dude we live in a world where Morbius the living vampire is getting a movie. ANY character can be the lead and be the superstar of the story if the writer has the right imagination and pitch. The fact you believe a story must contain some links to the oldest characters just shows the X-men franchise is limited. If a book must force one of the characters from the Claremont era into the story to succeed then it was a bad story

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    What I wonder is: “what does it mean to be a X-men?”

There is this confusion between “mutant” and “X-men”, like being a X-men is just being a “super-mutant”, a mutant that has cool powers and a sense of community.

If it’s just being that, why would any X-men be more important than any mutant? Well, any person, to be honest…
    They wouldn’t it’s just in the current status quo every mutant is meant to be a soldier to defend the holy land of krakoa against the infidels that wish to share in the wealth and prosperity of this glorious promised land and everyone knows that only the chosen people can go there and the rest must be pushed to the sea.

And before people say I’m reading to much into this remember hox 1 literally ended with magneto in Israel declaring mutants the new gods.

It’s not a subtle metaphor but that’s Hickman for ya. The guy who gave us an indie comic that depicted the X-men as rapist monkeys (google it)

They wouldn’t it’s just in the current status quo every mutant is meant to be a soldier to defend the holy land of krakoa against the infidels that wish to share in the wealth and prosperity of this glorious promised land and everyone knows that only the chosen people can go there and the rest must be pushed to the sea.

And before people say I’m reading to much into this remember hox 1 literally ended with magneto in Israel declaring mutants the new gods.
    I liked the X-men because I followed the stories and got to know them.

So, it’s not so much that they were really special (yes, they were courageous and good people and all…) but more they were people I knew, so I cringe at this “stardom”, this “exceptionalism”.

It’s not a subtle metaphor but that’s Hickman for ya. The guy who gave us an indie comic that depicted the X-men as rapist monkeys (google it)
    This monkey stuff is for me a confirmation that Hickman loves more ideas than characters.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Dude we live in a world where Morbius the living vampire is getting a movie. ANY character can be the lead and be the superstar of the story if the writer has the right imagination and pitch. The fact you believe a story must contain some links to the oldest characters just shows the X-men franchise is limited. If a book must force one of the characters from the Claremont era into the story to succeed then it was a bad story
    What if it bombs though.

Nah, ain't no way in hell characters like Beak or Eyeboy will ever be the lead/main protagonist in a story. Besides, Morbius had his own solo before and was pretty popular in the 90s(The Midnight Sons). He also has the vampire thing going for him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Nah, ain't no way in hell characters like Beak or Eyeboy will ever be the lead/main protagonist in a story. Besides, Morbius had his own solo before and was pretty popular in the 90s(The Midnight Sons). He also has the vampire thing going for him.
    Morbius is a spider-man villain, so he gets lots of popularity points for that. Sony is mining their spider-man license.

Ultimatum killed the Ultimate universe, so this is a bad idea
    Last edited by baxer; 11-16-2020 at 10:06 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    It doesn’t matter if the characters are popular to comic fans we are not the audience for the films. The gotg movies have nothing to do with the comics in fact they have spent the last 5 years trying to make the comics more like the movies. If groot the talking tree can be the heart of a film then beak can get a tv show. That’s the world we live in now. Plus why can’t beak get a tv show? Him with his bug wife and kids on wacky adventures I would watch that

BANNED

It doesn’t matter if the characters are popular to comic fans we are not the audience for the films. The gotg movies have nothing to do with the comics in fact they have spent the last 5 years trying to make the comics more like the movies. If groot the talking tree can be the heart of a film then beak can get a tv show. That’s the world we live in now. Plus why can’t beak get a tv show? Him with his bug wife and kids on wacky adventures I would watch that
    you just jumped a shark here

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    you just jumped a shark here
    And I’m gonna ride that shark to Valhalla!

I do think it would interest a movie maker if the story is good. Alas it would need costly special effects and these kind of films are targeting a large audience with little audacity. So, hard to produce.

It reminds me a movie, Ratboy.

That is the biggest lie in all of comics, It is true all characters can become superstars with a great writer and set up(because you can change old character into a new character). GREAT characters(well-designed characters) can work with multiple setups and bad writers, Bad characters need everything to line up perfectly. How many of these writers who can make any character is working in the industry today? In most cases, you aren't getting the writer with the right imagination and pitch which why you use proven good character concepts. Plus if you why in the world would you tie a design concept that works to a thing that limits it, when you can create a new character without that old baggage.

This isn't some complex thing People associate X-men with certain CHARACTERS and their adventurers. It is not that you can never move on from Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Jean, etc but if you are starting a book and calling it X-men. You need certain characters to anchor the concept. No, where I am saying X-men can't work with other characters we have tons of spin-off books that have various degrees of success. But as good as any of those books are they never maintain consistent success and there is a reason.

We(fans) associate concepts with characters and it is very hard to establish the x-men concept out those characters, It very hard to maintain interest without those characters showing up again at some point. The Fast and furious movie franchise on from Vin Diesel but he came back and the franchise clicked BUT franchise has been cultivating the Rock character and he could if they wanted to take over the franchise( saw this in Hobbs and Shaw it could work). Most times you can't establish a character as a legit part of the franchise without the CORE characters around to establish this is the concept. The Rock doesn't get established in the franchise without Vin Diesel being around.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-16-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    X-men fans are way too quiet about Sinister stealing Thunderbird's DNA.
    He wasn't using it.