Page 400 of 668 FirstFirst ... 300350390396397398399400401402403404410450500 ... LastLast
Results 5,986 to 6,000 of 10013
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I mean some people just have personality flaws, especially people with traumas. I personally love it when other X-Men (especially Storm) put Emma in her place. I’m glad that not all the X-Men are friends because it’d be unrealistic for every mutant to get along.
    The problem is that she never want to get better than that, it her concious choice because people just ride along for reasons. Her personality flaw is copied from Saturnyne, so it makes it even worse

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    The problem is that she never want to get better than that, it her concious choice because people just ride along for reasons. Her personality flaw is copied from Saturnyne, so it makes it even worse
    I would argue that her being kind to Kate in Marauders is her working on it. Also isn’t Emma an older character than Saturnyne?

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

I would argue that her being kind to Kate in Marauders is her working on it. Also isn’t Emma an older character than Saturnyne?
    Checked the Wiki, Emma debuted Jan 1980 (CC and Byrne), Opal Luna December 1981 (Moore and Davis).
    Opal Luna was a Marvel UK character and, at that stage, Alan loathed Chris*, I very much doubt that he had any idea that Emma existed. Plus ‘blonde, sarcastic ice queen’ is a pretty common stereotype.

*to be fair, he loathed Marvel, Marvel UK, Dez Skinn, Thatcher, capitalism. Dez in particular. Genius though.

BANNED

Kitty is a exception, so not a growth

It seems to me that the “good” a character might have done has as little value as the “bad” during another’s run…

Who is really Emma? The poor rich girl misunderstood by everyone who hides her heart beneath multiple layers of snark and cynism or the ruthless bitch with a superiority complex that cares only about herself?

Both or neither of them… Hickman’s Emma? I don’t know her, I let you judge.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The closest thing Xavier has done in comparison to Emma's casual abuse of her powers is erasing the memory of the Deadly Genesis team which got him kicked out of the X-mansion by Scott.
    We're gonna pretend that Danger doesn't exist, another issue that was brought on by Cueball, also his actions involving the Illuminati, his creeping on Jean and later on, Dani, mindwiping Magneto which later spawned Onslaught, and that's just the tip of iceberg that is Charles' transgressions, transgressions that had far more in the way of consequence than anything Emma did beyond Dark Phoenix.

Says who?

Me, of course. It ain't that serious.

Emma tortured the X-Men and helped cause the Dark Phoenix.
    Which is nothing out of the ordinary of a supervillain group, which she happened to be a part of at the time. Again, in the grand scheme of things, the things Emma did were not anything horrific. Also, you may want to expand on what classifies as "torture" because that is completely subjective.
    Mutant and Proud
    Krakoa FOREVER!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Fang X View Post
    Which is nothing out of the ordinary of a supervillain group, which she happened to be a part of at the time. Again, in the grand scheme of things, the things Emma did were not anything horrific. Also, you may want to expand on what classifies as "torture" because that is completely subjective.
    No horrific? total branwash, sexual abuse,. So it is all ok if she was on a villainous group? wow

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

While this is definitely true some fans, Emma is also kind of an *******. Some fans love it and some fans hate it.
    But this isn't the real reason. It ALWAYS comes back to Jean and slut shamming on these boards, and always the same people.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The closest thing Xavier has done in comparison to Emma's casual abuse of her powers is erasing the memory of the Deadly Genesis team which got him kicked out of the X-mansion by Scott.x.
    Essentially enslaving Danger, having sex with his patient, a traumatized victim, because she would be a good match biologically, and all the crap he pulled on Micronauts.

It's particularly non-sense to complain about her in an island that has Sinister, Shaw, Mystique and Apocalypse running around. Or even as heroes, Emma's body count pales next to Wolverine's.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    But this isn't the real reason. It ALWAYS comes back to Jean and slut shamming on these boards, and always the same people.
    Slut shaming:
    goes to have se with a man because you dot like his wife.

she is his therapist so it is sexual abuse.

of course it is easy screwm slut shaming than analize it

Essentially enslaving Danger, having sex with his patient, a traumatized victim, because she would be a good match biologically, and all the crap he pulled on Micronauts.

It's particularly non-sense to complain about her in an island that has Sinister, Shaw, Mystique and Apocalypse running around. Or even as heroes, Emma's body count pales next to Wolverine's.
    Danger was a half assed retcon, Micronauts was his dark side without any piece of his good side. Sex with patients just like Emma did.

nobody tries to make Shaw or Sinister a hero

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd say what Emma was doing to Storm (psychically probing her to make her cry out in pain) was torture. But karma caught up to her for that and her role in DPS with Jean showing up right after and zapping her into a coma.

I do agree that if Magneto and Xavier are getting passes (even at the time in the 80s, Magneto had a longer villain track record than Emma when he became headmaster of the school), plus Wolverine definitely has a higher body count, Emma shouldn't be regarded as unusual.

Slut shaming:
    goes to have se with a man because you dot like his wife.

she is his therapist so it is sexual abuse.

of course it is easy screwm slut shaming than analize it

Danger was a half assed retcon, Micronauts was his dark side without any piece of his good side. Sex with patients just like Emma did.

nobody tries to make Shaw or Sinister a hero
    So now we’re just dismissing the Danger storyline because it was half-assed? Emma’s entire return to villainy during the IvX era was VERY half-assed but you counted that against her. It’s fine if you don’t like the character, but don’t get down on people if they do. Marvel has been portraying her as a hero (for the most part) for the past two decades (actually more than that with Gen X) so it makes sense that some readers have warmed up to her.

This is the unpoplar and controversial opinions thread. By that nature, people are gonna write stuff that most dont agree with. Its best to just accept that and move on, not to try and argue against it.

My unpopular opinion? Frenzy is terrible. She seems to be a cult favorite on this board but I dont get it. She is not likeable nor has she ever been. I dont see what redeeming qualities she has or whats interesting about her that makes people want more. She's just abrasive and the absolute worst

I think it stems from Age of X. She was pretty cool in that reality.

No horrific? total branwash, sexual abuse,. So it is all ok if she was on a villainous group? wow
    Yep, in a comic book. It's nothing serious nor morally debatable. Taking it seriously is usually a bad sign regarding the person making moral absolutes. Again, it ain't serious. Move on, bro.
    Mutant and Proud
    Krakoa FOREVER!!!

BANNED

Yep, in a comic book. It's nothing serious nor morally debatable. Taking it seriously is usually a bad sign regarding the person making moral absolutes. Again, it ain't serious. Move on, bro.
    Some things are moral absolutes like sexua abusel and torture. It's always good have strong ethical codes

So now we’re just dismissing the Danger storyline because it was half-assed? Emma’s entire return to villainy during the IvX era was VERY half-assed but you counted that against her. It’s fine if you don’t like the character, but don’t get down on people if they do. Marvel has been portraying her as a hero (for the most part) for the past two decades (actually more than that with Gen X) so it makes sense that some readers have warmed up to her.
    I thought the story was ok, but still a retcon. The writers started retcon so much that x-men foundation became a big lie and franchise never recovered.
    Well none of Emma doing bad things were a retcon, they happened on present time. IvX wasnt very good, but it is on average to a lot of comics now and then.
    Readers warmed up but for many years recently she did really bad things that they ignore. Some characters get worse with a lot less
    Last edited by baxer; 12-07-2020 at 06:28 PM.