Page 438 of 655 FirstFirst ... 338388428434435436437438439440441442448488538 ... LastLast
Results 6,556 to 6,570 of 9824

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Havok's speech was written in such a way as to basically erase the mutant identity. It went beyond simply calling for equality or judging people based on their actions instead of their abilities or ethnicity. He said that mutants are not a distinct group and dismissed those who think otherwise as basically being in a cult. He would ban the word mutant with nothing to replace to describe people born with an X-Gene, regardless of the opinion of every other mutant in existence. There would be no group identity for these people despite their shared history and experiences. Persecution of mutants would end because there would be no mutants to persecute.

I think he was fine until he says the M word represents everything he hates.

Mutants are just humans with a mutation on X gene, just that. he doesnt need to carry all mutantkind if he doesnt want to. Mutation is something really normal on all human beings, it happens.

What he is talking about is indetitarism, that mostly hurts instead of help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post

I think he was fine until he says the M word represents everything he hates.

Mutants are just humans with a mutation on X gene, just that. he doesnt need to carry all mutantkind if he doesnt want to. Mutation is something really normal on all human beings, it happens.

What he is talking about is indetitarism, that mostly hurts instead of help.
    thats the same flawed thinking thats been problematic from people that try to downplay the black experience in the US bc "we are all Americans". Havok's speech was damaging even if his shortsighted view was unable to realize it

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    thats the same flawed thinking thats been problematic from people that try to downplay the black experience in the US bc "we are all Americans". Havok's speech was damaging even if his shortsighted view was unable to realize it
    Nationality is different from race. Even being rich the experience is ery different from being poor in a country like USA

Nationality is different from race. Even being rich the experience is ery different from being poor in a country like USA
    It is but it would be ignorant to act as if those lines havent been blurred especially in light of everything thats happened in the past year. Those that try to downplay that race is different bc we all belong to another group (nationality) is a problem. Its what Alex did and he would be one of the people that shouted All Lives Matter at a BLM rally
    Last edited by Havok83; 02-23-2021 at 03:22 PM.

It is but it would be ignorant to act as if those lines havent been blurred especially in light of everything thats happened in the past year. Those that try to downplay that race is different bc we all belong to another group (nationality) is a problem. Its what Alex did and he would be one of the people that shouted All Lives Matter at a BLM rally
    The difference is that Havok never denied that there is persecution he was only talking about identity

The difference is that Havok never denied that there is persecution he was only talking about identity
    Thats the problem. Identity erasure is a problem

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    If a white gay man came out saying "the gay word represents everything I hate" and claiming to speak for all homossexuals then I'm sure he would have been very well liked by the LGBTQI+ community
    I’m pretty sure the word “queer” is divisive depending on ones locale.

Mutant has often been used in a derogatory fashion. It’s no surprise some might like the word.

Alex saying don't call us mutant is the equivalent of someone saying don't call us black/native/latino/asian/arab/etc. It falls into the "i don't see colour" rhetoric which is redundant and completely misses the mark. There's a difference between acknowledging people different ethnic background, race, gender, sexual orientation and othering anyone who doesn't fall into a majority group.

Plus it's easy for some like Alex to say don't call me mutant it's offensive to me when he doesn't have a physical mutation and looks like any human.

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    Alex saying don't call us mutant is the equivalent of someone saying don't call us black/native/latino/asian/arab/etc. It falls into the "i don't see colour" rhetoric which is redundant and completely misses the mark. There's a difference between acknowledging people different ethnic background, race, gender, sexual orientation and othering anyone who doesn't fall into a majority group.

Plus it's easy for some like Alex to say don't call me mutant it's offensive to me when he doesn't have a physical mutation and looks like any human.
    It’s also easy for “pretty mutants” to tell not-pretty mutants (which includes those with debilitating powers) to just suck it up and enjoy being a mutant.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    If a white gay man came out saying "the gay word represents everything I hate" and claiming to speak for all homossexuals then I'm sure he would have been very well liked by the LGBTQI+ community
    Funnily enough there is discourse around the word queer and gay with the younger generation saying the word gay is invalidating and offensive because it's used as an insult while completely erasing the fact that queer has always historically been a slur against lgbt people.

I’ll throw my two cents in. I agree with Alex sentiment in saying don’t call me a mutant call me Alex. I disagree with mutant being derogatory. Speaking of myself I’m black though based on my appearance some people ask me what race I am I just respond with I’m me and that’s all the need to know. Being black doesn’t define me and neither does it take away from the experience that others have had being discriminated against based on race, instead I try to learn of the experiences and be more aware. People are different that’s plainly clear, though I rather know their name before I want to know their race.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Thats the problem. Identity erasure is a problem
    I don't see it as a complete identity erasure. it is jus a gene that gives him powers, he doesn't need to structure all his life around that like his brother

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    I’ll throw my two cents in. I agree with Alex sentiment in saying don’t call me a mutant call me Alex. I disagree with mutant being derogatory. Speaking of myself I’m black though based on my appearance some people ask me what race I am I just respond with I’m me and that’s all the need to know. Being black doesn’t define me and neither does it take away from the experience that others have had being discriminated against based on race, instead I try to learn of the experiences and be more aware. People are different that’s plainly clear, though I rather know their name before I want to know their race.
    And you can choose to identify with whatever you want. Alex was wrong bc he got on a big platform, spoke for all of mutantkind and told the world not to call them mutants anymore while degrading the word. Its not a right that he had

I don't see it as a complete identity erasure. it is jus a gene that gives him powers, he doesn't need to structure all his life around that like his brother
    You still dont get it. Its a gene that does more than that for a good number of beings in that universe. Being a mutant is a major part of ones' identity. As mentioned above, its easy for Havok to say what he said bc he can pass. Others cant and he had no right to speak down on the word mutant on their behalf. It was damaging for those who cant escape it

Kitty Pryde said it best

Last edited by Havok83; 02-23-2021 at 04:03 PM.

And you can choose to identify with whatever you want. Alex was wrong bc he got on a big platform, spoke for all of mutantkind and told the world not to call them mutants anymore while degrading the word. Its not a right that he had

You still dont get it. Its a gene that does more than that for a good number of beings in that universe. Being a mutant is a major part of ones' identity. As mentioned above, its easy for Havok to say what he said bc he can pass. Others cant and he had no right to speak down on the word mutant on their behalf. It was damaging for those who cant escape it
    Your right he should have spoke for himself not for a whole community, though to me if powers is all that defines a person then they are being one dimensional to me
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    Your right he should have spoke for himself not for a whole community, though to me if powers is all that defines a person then they are being one dimensional to me
    But did he? Could Alex have spoken for more than himself? Had he ever any authority as an representant of the mutantkind?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe