Page 240 of 662 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244250290340 ... LastLast
Results 3,586 to 3,600 of 9925
    Fantastic Member

I have issues with Emma's character. And her ascendancy to Queen of the X-Men.

Jean's co-worker carried on a cyber-affair with her husband, just for LOL's. I think it's terrible that writers seem intent on robbing the Jean character of well earned enmity towards Emma. They should NEVER be anything near friends. A cold civility from Jean is as far as it should ever go. I just don't see anyone ever getting passed what Emma did to her.

Emma used her powers to put herself in Storm's body and then had sex with Sebastian Shaw. That is WAY to near to rape for my comfort. If Storm ever gets passed this, it will be a disservice to her character.

Certain characters having a civil relationship with Emma, reeks of white washing.
    Last edited by PowerPlay25; 01-07-2020 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay25 View Post

Jean's co-worker carried on a cyber-affair with her husband, just for LOL's. I think it's terrible that writers seem intent on robbing the Jean character of well earned enmity towards Emma. They should NEVER be anything near friends. A cold civility from Jean is as far as it should ever go. I just don't see anyone ever getting passed what Emma did to her.

Emma used her powers to put herself in Storm's body and then had sex with Sebastian Shaw. That is WAY to near to rape for my comfort. If Storm ever gets passed this, it will be a disservice to her character.
    That’s not an unpopular opinion. At all.

BANNED

Edit: Why is it mandatory that Jean/Storm be enthralled with their abuser, especially without a balancing of the scales or acknowledgment of wrongdoing? Would people demand the same thing of a male character?

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    All I said was them going out for drinks isn’t a stretch. A friendship shouldn’t be either given that Jean clearly found resolution with Emma before she died in Morrison’s run and was mentored by her when she went to the future as a teenager. I could literally draw you a picture, but I’m sure that isn’t necessary.
    Jean Grey hasn't had on-panel thoughts about Emma since Tern Jean's solo, where they weren't friends or even friendly, but still got together to accomplish the task at hand. Not only is that how they left off with that story, but thats' how the characters acted in the majority of their stories before. Besides that detail, "not chums, but still formidable allies" is the better take, especially given the characters' history together, but absent of that history too, really. Their appearance in X-Men was incredibly awful.

Funny enough though, as far as Emma training Teen Jean, in the issue before that, Teen Jean does come to the resolution that what happened during New X-Men doesn't matter off panel after she straddles Emma for some reason (cheese) and they become friends. So then again, if we ignore everything with 616 Jean and make that one issue with Teen Jean the point of reference, then there is basis for them being friends and lovers and I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I’m curious so I’ll bite: in your mind, what makes the most sense for Jean and Emma in 2020? Jealous teammates? Mortal foes? I sense you want them to harbour negativity towards each other and I feel like this won’t undo the “sins” of past writers, if you will. Where’s the empowerment in that, for either of them? pinned against each other in permanence because of a man between them...if their relationship must be defined by their “shared”(-ish) lover, then I’d rather see an allyship bloom. And I’d rather see the messy complexities of a relationship between messy, complex people under a spotlight than shoved into the unseen space offstage.
    I don't see why "empowerment" means they either both have to be with the man or be best friends.

That seems like a lack of power, a lack of choice.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 01-07-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Certain characters having a civil relationship with Emma, reeks of white washing.
    Earned enmity. Thats a great way to put it especially since was Jean was killed off so soon after she learned of what was done with her and Emma never really had to deal with the long term ramifications of that

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I’m curious so I’ll bite: in your mind, what makes the most sense for Jean and Emma in 2020? Jealous teammates? Mortal foes? I sense you want them to harbour negativity towards each other and I feel like this won’t undo the “sins” of past writers, if you will. Where’s the empowerment in that, for either of them? pinned against each other in permanence because of a man between them...if their relationship must be defined by their “shared”(-ish) lover, then I’d rather see an allyship bloom. And I’d rather see the messy complexities of a relationship between messy, complex people under a spotlight than shoved into the unseen space offstage.
    Just teammates is good. Jean problem with Emma is that she destroyed her life twice, it is Emma that is jealous.
    Jean nevr liked Emma, but she could just ignore her if they aren't on same team interacting.
    What empowerment? Not everything needs to be empowerment. Not all women can be friends. Also people just remember about feminism when it comes to Emma, while Jean got and still get sexist treatment on comics.
    What man? they just don't like each other. Emma hurt the hell out of Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Edit: Why is it mandatory that Jean/Storm be enthralled with their abuser, especially without a balancing of the scales or acknowledgment of wrongdoing? Would people demand the same thing of a male character?
    We never got Emma making up for that or apologizing. I really want Jean to reflect more about it, as we never got to see her feelings on the matter. Let it be negative, show that Jean aint a saint and have negative feelings
    Emma is a abuser. People don't want to acknowledge that, she target jean to destroy her life because she was jealous. Imagine someone going after your husband just to destroy you, because the person know you are really in love with him.
    Storm also got sexually assaulted and I remember Emma insulting Ororo from nowhere.
    Empowerment is not accept your abuser
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-07-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Emma never faces consequences for her actions. Trust me, you are not alone in not liking her character. She never suffered even the slightest comeuppance for her actions in IvX (including unleashing the Sentinels on the Inhumas!), Secret Wars, Xmen Blue or Uncanny. If anything, she's been rewarded several times over. The closest thing to consequences for her was Scott seemingly choosing Jean over her at the end of Uncanny. Which was super sexist and the like.

I almost want to say its meta commentary on how rich, straight white people get away with everything, but I don't think the writers are that clever.

Despite what others may be saying...
    The current storyline is a TERRIBLE way to introduce mutants and the X-men into the MCU. Its something that needs the history and backstory and the MCU just doesn't have it. And attempting to just retcon in something massive would feel pretty darn hollow and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Emma never faces consequences for her actions. Trust me, you are not alone in not liking her character. She never suffered even the slightest comeuppance for her actions in IvX (including unleashing the Sentinels on the Inhumas!), Secret Wars, Xmen Blue or Uncanny. If anything, she's been rewarded several times over. The closest thing to consequences for her was Scott seemingly choosing Jean over her at the end of Uncanny. Which was super sexist and the like.

I almost want to say its meta commentary on how rich, straight white people get away with everything, but I don't think the writers are that clever.
    #AvengeButterRum

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Well now, Angelica's gone, "My horse wasn't a mutant. Who cares? I'm moving to Krakoa."
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Incredible Member

I believe the Mystique is coddled the same was by writers, despite her repeated betrayals of the X Men.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Oh dear...
    You sound really frayed.
    Tea? ...It will help with all those decades-long, unresolved emotions you are currently harbouring.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Oh dear...
    You sound really frayed.
    Tea? ...It will help with all those decades-long, unresolved emotions you are currently harbouring.
    Are you going to "you mad?" every time some says something you don't like? I know the board doesn't have an age restriction, but c'mon. We can pretend to be older than 12.

Well, at least on the current era where Apocalypse, Sinister, Selene, etc are allowed on Krakoa, the way they treat Emma makes more sense lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Well, at least on the current era where Apocalypse, Sinister, Selene, etc are allowed on Krakoa, the way they treat Emma makes more sense lol.
    I've given up on anybody in the X-men calling Emma out or holding her accountable. But I am hoping that Black Bolt and Medusa come back, take one look at their relationship with Emma and say "You know she committed war crimes against us and blew up 2 cities, right?"

Preferably with BB's disintegrating voice.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I've given up on anybody in the X-men calling Emma out or holding her accountable. But I am hoping that Black Bolt and Medusa come back, take one look at their relationship with Emma and say "You know she committed war crimes against us and blew up 2 cities, right?"

You do realize the Inhumans kept a toxic cloud around that harm mutants right? What part of your fantasy scenario with BB and Medusa talking War Crimes doesn't end with Magneto or any number other mutants say go kick rocks. Heck playing along with fantasy deaths maybe some mutant finally sticks a knife in Beast for working with the inhumans during that point.