Page 472 of 664 FirstFirst ... 372422462468469470471472473474475476482522572 ... LastLast
Results 7,066 to 7,080 of 9959

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Hmmm

So, people are debating if Morrison would have made Cyclops have an affair with Storm, but used Emma instead.
    But what we do know, is that the character Emma was replacing was Colossus, he even gave her a secundary mutation so she could fill the role of tank on the team. On that logic, is resonable to suggest that the affair would have been between Scott and Colossus.

While I'm very fond of Scemma, I have to say that if that would have freed Colossus from all the crap he got from Kitty Pride shitstorm, it would be welcome.
    oooh Yas! I wonder if Colossus is a tank in the bed as well.
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    oooh Yas! I wonder if Colossus is a tank in the bed as well.
    Like Colossus, pop culture indoctrination has forced the military to be an integral part of our shared thinking.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I like about 90% of what I've read of Morrison's work, and that includes New X-Men, but the affair is, unfortunately, just about the most consequential event from that run. It seems to me like one of those ideas Morrison had that seemed clever and interesting and transgressive on paper but no one stepped in to say "You probably shouldn't do this".

You're probably right about it being born and spread online.
    What is so transgressive about men cheating on their wives? Morrison probably was living on his own world

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    For cameos? Sure. And she even appeared in Ellis' AXM. But she was in the Avengers office at the time.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's not that's unpopular here, it's just the ones that hate it are very vocal, and it's pretty much all about sex- people upset that a character so overtly sexual came to the X-men in Emma, and broke up the "perfect" marriage of Scott & Jean.
    wow there wasn't sex before Emma was introduced on X-men LOLOLOL

broke the marriage wasn't a problem, but fridging Jean was. Jean can do a lot better than Scott
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-05-2021 at 07:02 PM.

Moira, Colossus and Storm were characters Morrison couldn't use.

Emma replaced Moira and Colossus. I do remember both, that Scott's affair was planned prior to Emma with Storm or Moira. I also know Emma was a last minute addition as a fan on a forum suggested her
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 04-05-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    What is so transgressive about men cheating on their wives? Morrison probably was living on his own world
    A psychic affair, not men cheating on their wives.

wow there wasn't sex before Emma was introduced on X-men LOLOLOL

broke the marriage wasn't a problem, but fridging Jean was. Jean can do a lot better than Scott
    Morrison left a clear path for Jean to return, Marvel chose to keep Jean on the bench.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

A psychic affair, not men cheating on their wives.

Morrison left a clear path for Jean to return, Marvel chose to keep Jean on the bench.
    That still is cheating. affair for married people is cheating.

Of course they could return, but he laid the foundation to keep her dead "she isn't good enough for Scott so she deserves to be dead" was consensus between Marvel writers

Well Moira was meant to die and then Magneto was going to control her dead body like a puppet according to the Manifesto and seed lies. Unless he was going to have her via Magneto have the affair with Scott

That still is cheating. affair for married people is cheating.

Of course they could return, but he laid the foundation to keep her dead "she isn't good enough for Scott so she deserves to be dead" was consensus between Marvel writers
    Are you deliberately being obtuse? The cheating wasn't what I meant was transgressive, and I never implied a psychic affair means it isn't cheating (heck, emotional affairs are a real thing), but that the psychic nature of the affair was clearly the great idea that Morrison had. If the affair is entirely in the mind and there's no physical aspect, is it still wrong? Yes, but Morrison intended it to be gray - unfortunately for the story, the readers didn't see it that way.

You'll have to point out where in the narrative Jean was stated as not good enough for Scott and that's why she deserved to be dead. Morrison laid no foundation for this or to keep her dead - New X-Men clearly showed (regardless of proper characterization) that Scott and Jean were no longer good for each other. And Marvel needed no excuse or pretext to kill off any of their characters or keep them dead.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Are you deliberately being obtuse? The cheating wasn't what I meant was transgressive, and I never implied a psychic affair means it isn't cheating (heck, emotional affairs are a real thing), but that the psychic nature of the affair was clearly the great idea that Morrison had. If the affair is entirely in the mind and there's no physical aspect, is it still wrong? Yes, but Morrison intended it to be gray - unfortunately for the story, the readers didn't see it that way.

You'll have to point out where in the narrative Jean was stated as not good enough for Scott and that's why she deserved to be dead. Morrison laid no foundation for this or to keep her dead - New X-Men clearly showed (regardless of proper characterization) that Scott and Jean were no longer good for each other. And Marvel needed no excuse or pretext to kill off any of their characters or keep them dead.
    No, I'm not being obtuse on purpose, just by accident. I really understood that you said that it wasn't cheating.
    Even on mind there isn't anothing gray about it. Morrison was wrong.

Many times: on Fraction where Scott says that she is the woman of his life, When he says to Emma that he would choose her, on Gillen that he says that Emma is what he needed. Quesada saying that Jean woudn't return because Emma was better with Scott.
    I disagree, the next writers didn't misunderstood his run, they interpreted it right. It wasn't some coincidence.
    Of course Marvel was following with what Morrison build, they could had choose other way but Morrison is a iconic run even if they retconned a lot from it. I'm not blaming Morrison as it was mostly future editors fault.
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-05-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F_JuBg38lw

This is the video at the 2:28-2:29 mark about her and Cyclops.

Listen for a KEY WORD
    An alternate universe where she dates Cyclops isn't really proof of Morrison's plans for her and I don't think he even wrote that story.

What is so transgressive about men cheating on their wives?
    ... Just to be clear, do you know what transgressive means?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    It's not that's unpopular here, it's just the ones that hate it are very vocal, and it's pretty much all about sex- people upset that a character so overtly sexual came to the X-men in Emma, and broke up the "perfect" marriage of Scott & Jean.
    I don't think anyone thinks Scott had a "perfect" marriage. If anything, people recognized how effed up it all was (the way he left Maddie and the kid to rush to Jean's side)...

And for me it wasn't the sexual content. I loved how sexual Emma was. However, when she joined the X-Men - she also got a boob job, and her dress became more revealing, and artists insisted on drawing her with her legs spread wide (reference example: http://nerdist.com/wp-content/upload...rost-Comic.jpg and https://collectiblebooksandmore.com/...afrostcard.jpg and https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/com...35._SY475_.jpg).

Like, I get it. Emma is a sexual being. Never doubted it from her Hellfire Club days.

But when she joined - it got ... weird, for me. (And I do NOT offend easy!) Emma and Scott's relationship started feeling like a writer's fanfic - where they were Scott and Emma was their every fantasy.

Maybe it's just me.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

I already said it: Scott considered Jean was too good for him. Emma was at his level and it was why she was good to him. They both had baggages. Emma was willing to be the kind of woman Scott needed her to be.

Jean, on the other hand, was put on a pedestal. It wasn’t her fault. She just had a happy childhood and was a balanced and confident person.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Well Moira was meant to die and then Magneto was going to control her dead body like a puppet according to the Manifesto and seed lies. Unless he was going to have her via Magneto have the affair with Scott
    If this is true then I am glad he didnīt get to develop this story, it sounds horrible.

I never liked Scottīs affair with Emma, mostly I thought the reasons given for it to be too weak, like Scott was just trying to justify himself instead of confronting the problems of his relationship with Jean, that he felt insecure and at some point worried about Jeanīs use of her Phoenix powers which were leading her to seem less human, I think them confronting this would have been a better story but I gess Morrison probably just wanted to make a scandalous story.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    If this is true then I am glad he didnīt get to develop this story, it sounds horrible.

I never liked Scottīs affair with Emma, mostly I thought the reasons given for it to be too weak, like Scott was just trying to justify himself instead of confronting the problems of his relationship with Jean, that he felt insecure and at some point worried about Jeanīs use of her Phoenix powers which were leading her to seem less human, I think them confronting this would have been a better story but I gess Morrison probably just wanted to make a scandalous story.
    Every relationship in the history of the world that had problems, barring the cases in which one of the partners is abusive and/or violent, would be better off with more communication and directly confronting the problems. Yet most people don't do it, and would be out of character for many of them to do so, as it would be in Scott's case, at least at the time. Although to be fair, no one else had to deal with their partner becoming a nearly omnipotent cosmic parrot.