Page 489 of 657 FirstFirst ... 389439479485486487488489490491492493499539589 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,335 of 9847
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Unpopular opinion: the mutant metaphor has failed as an analogy and has not evolved since the 1970s because the primary writers for the X-Men lack the factual knowledge and nuanced experiences of actual racism.
    Or most kinds of bigotry, really.

The fact that the primary writers of the franchise have largely just been straight white men (or identified as such when they were writing the title) really colors things improperly.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Unpopular opinion: the mutant metaphor has failed as an analogy and has not evolved since the 1970s because the primary writers for the X-Men lack the factual knowledge and nuanced experiences of actual racism.
    The mutant metaphor fails if you still view it as 1:1 for racism instead of through an intersectional lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Or most kinds of bigotry, really.

The fact that the primary writers of the franchise have largely just been straight white men (or identified as such when they were writing the title) really colors things improperly.

I totally agree.

I don’t think there’s a mutant metaphor per se. It’s just something that is superficial and works sometimes as a plot device.

At first, X-men creators didn’t want to be bothered with origins and just said: “Our super-beings will just be born like that.” I don’t think there were any mutant at the beginning that just looked differently and had no super-powers…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I don’t think there’s a mutant metaphor per se. It’s just something that is superficial and works sometimes as a plot device.

At first, X-men creators didn’t want to be bothered with origins and just said: “Our super-beings will just be born like that.” I don’t think there were any mutant at the beginning that just looked differently and had no super-powers…
    X-men is a narrative open enough that many people from different backgrounds can indentify theirselves on it

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    X-men is a narrative open enough that many people from different backgrounds can indentify theirselves on it
    Xmen is specifically a metaphor against prejudice of any kind. Hating a person before you even know them because of something that is associated with them, in this case being a mutant. I would say it has and has not evolved. In its essence, it has not evolved and really should not because it is so broad a statement it gives plenty of freedom on social commentary. From a narrative aspect, it has evolved with every era of xmen. They have went from trying to just be mutant super hero team, to being hated and feared, then so much in between, with now forming an entire nation and dealing with the trappings that nations fall into. Xmen has always been deeper than most comics in this aspect. I’m sorry if some people disagree but even though the xmen still needs work in the diversity department its still been one of the most socially aware comics of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    Xmen is specifically a metaphor against prejudice of any kind. Hating a person before you even know them because of something that is associated with them, in this case being a mutant. I would say it has and has not evolved. In its essence, it has not evolved and really should not because it is so broad a statement it gives plenty of freedom on social commentary. From a narrative aspect, it has evolved with every era of xmen. They have went from trying to just be mutant super hero team, to being hated and feared, then so much in between, with now forming an entire nation and dealing with the trappings that nations fall into. Xmen has always been deeper than most comics in this aspect. I’m sorry if some people disagree but even though the xmen still needs work in the diversity department its still been one of the most socially aware comics of all time.
    X-men only started to feel more like a minority alegory when Claremont took over. Kirby idea was to play on the new nuclar atomic age as causing mutations on people.
    This is kinda of funny now, that whena teacher was telling about the atomic bombs and victims get muttions, everyone on the class mentioned X-men

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    The mutant metaphor fails if you still view it as 1:1 for racism instead of through an intersectional lens.
    Even under a broader definition of oppressed minorities there is still only tokenism. I'm interested in seeing more diversity in writers and characters and an effort to make that as relevant as the theme that makes this group of heroes distinct.

Even under a broader definition of oppressed minorities there is still only tokenism. I'm interested in seeing more diversity in writers and characters and an effort to make that as relevant as the theme that makes this group of heroes distinct.
    It's funny - I've actually never cared one way or another about writers/artists race/creed/sexual orientation - as long as they deliver a good story.
    Chris Clairemont is as white as white comes - and he wrote an incredible Storm. Because of him I absolutely love Storm. (As well as Colossus, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, etc).

Jim Lee - never even CONSIDERED what he might be - when he drew X-Men. When I finally met him in person, it was fantastic. But I wasn't like, "Oh, thank God you're not white!"

He delivered incredible art. That's all I cared about.

Louise Simonson on X-Factor. Freaking amazing. FREAKING AMAZING.

But not because she's a woman. It's because she's a great writer.

So whether white, black, asian, straight, gay, bisexual, christian, athiest, jewish - I don't mind. Just write/draw a story of these characters I enjoy.

That said - yes, we could use some more diversity - or at least give more people the chance to get in there and tell a good story.

For example, if Gail Simone (whom I loved her Bat Girl!) - but let's pretend I HATED her Bat Girl - I wouldn't continue to support her or the book just because she's a woman.

I don't want the quality of stories to suffer because of an agenda. If we can get black, asian, gay, straight, whatever in there - and they tell stories I wanna read - that's what counts.

Hell - Chris Clairemont - who gave us the new X-Men (Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler, etc) - was my favorite forever. But even he fell, for me. His story with the NEO Mutants. Effing hated it. Was utter trash in my mind.

So it's not about the person - it's about their ability to weave a story.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Can't argue with that, I love a well written story. I was advocating for more first-person perspectives on the main themes. But if I had a choice between the Diary of Anne Frank vs Jojo Rabbit...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    It's funny - I've actually never cared one way or another about writers/artists race/creed/sexual orientation - as long as they deliver a good story.
    Chris Clairemont is as white as white comes - and he wrote an incredible Storm. Because of him I absolutely love Storm. (As well as Colossus, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, etc).

Jim Lee - never even CONSIDERED what he might be - when he drew X-Men. When I finally met him in person, it was fantastic. But I wasn't like, "Oh, thank God you're not white!"

So whether white, black, asian, straight, gay, bisexual, christian, athiest, jewish - I don't mind. Just write/draw a story of these characters I enjoy.

That said - yes, we could use some more diversity - or at least give more people the chance to get in there and tell a good story.

For example, if Gail Simone (whom I loved her Bat Girl!) - but let's pretend I HATED her Bat Girl - I wouldn't continue to support her or the book just because she's a woman.

I don't want the quality of stories to suffer because of an agenda. If we can get black, asian, gay, straight, whatever in there - and they tell stories I wanna read - that's what counts.

Hell - Chris Clairemont - who gave us the new X-Men (Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler, etc) - was my favorite forever. But even he fell, for me. His story with the NEO Mutants. Effing hated it. Was utter trash in my mind.

Wholeheartedly agree...I don't care about what demographic boxes a creator checks...just that they deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post

I agree. Nothing unpopular or controversial here as far as I'm concerned.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree...I don't care about what demographic boxes a creator checks...just that they deliver.
    Exactatiously. Same here.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member

I want to see a new Brotherhood that still believes in mutant dominance through force and wants nothing to so with Krakoa.

I dont know if Hickman knows this but he doesn't need Xavier at all fir his story. Fixx has all those powers and more. That is the major flaw in his story.
    The dream is dead, so wake up and fight!