Page 107 of 670 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207607 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 10038
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I don't understand how Storm is still referred to as one of the great leaders of the X-Men by the fanbase.

When she led the team on the 80s, she made a lot of questionable choices and the team practically disbanded. I won't even start on how her leadership of the Morlocks ended up for them...

The Gold team also dismantled under her watch. Jean almost died on their first mission and Colossus defected, while Iceman had one of his first breakdowns.

Since the 2000s, she led the X-Treme (which was a proactive non-aligned-with-Xavier team) and came back to the School to call out Cyke for being proactive and "non-aligned-with-Xavier's" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also think she could (in story) have done a lot for the mutants as Queen of Wakanda, Avenger or Fantastic Four teammate.

Much of this is credited by a lack of understanding of her character by writers and the inconsistent protrayal of her motives... Still, IN STORY, we don't have much reasons to see her as a great leader.
    All the X-men Leaders are just as Bad. Storm isn’t alone.
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 07-27-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

I think before M-Day, only keeping the X-men team hidden from the NM, other X-men and X-factor was truly an unacceptable mistake.

After M-Day, however, yeah, pretty much everything she did sucked.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    me is confuse.
    Sorry. This should fill in the blanks.

This was the tip of the iceberg in conversation of this magnitude. No feats. No powers. Having a Storm that's willing to recognize herself the way this child can is more work than the writers of books are willing to tackle. Instead of giving readers an Ororo that's self-aware enough to ask herself the hard questions and strong enough to use the answers and chart a path that feels unique to her - we get nostalgically challenged Storm. She's clearly outgrown them as a symbol. Her solo series proved it. Instead of acknowledging that fact and giving her a different function within the world we get the perpetual X-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Sorry. This should fill in the blanks.

This was the tip of the iceberg in conversation of this magnitude. No feats. No powers. Having a Storm that's willing to recognize herself the way this child can is more work than the writers of books are willing to tackle. Instead of giving readers an Ororo that's self-aware enough to ask herself the hard questions and strong enough to use the answers and chart a path that feels unique to her - we get nostalgically challenged Storm. She's clearly outgrown them as a symbol. Her solo series proved it. Instead of acknowledging that fact and giving her a different function within the world we get the perpetual X-Man.
    What issue is that from?

BANNED

The first issue of her solo.

First of all, no character "outgrows" the X-men because the franchise and the team will always be bigger than any of the individual characters, even Wolverine.

Second, the mission of the team is already as big as it gets- help protect mutantkind from a world that fears and hates them, all while dealing with worldwide/universal threats.

Third, retreat Storm to a corner of the MU in Africa only serves to make her less relevant to the franchise and to comics as a whole- this already happened during the BP marriage. Surely, there would be die hard fanboys that would buy every issue, but solos rarely sell at Marvel these days, even Logan isn't the highly reliable seller he used to be, and books that tend to be in their own corner don't sell, unless you get lucky and you get an historic run like Ewing's Hulk (and even then, it's Hulk, who will always sell more than most solos).

I like Cyclops. The hate for him right now kind of scares me, quite frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I like Cyclops. The hate for him right now kind of scares me, quite frankly.
    Most people do, specially here, although Marvel has been trying to portray him as the great mutant Satan for years.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Most people do, specially here, although Marvel has been trying to portray him as the great mutant Satan for years.
    I wonder why Marvel would do that.
    Seems counterproductive to try to make the readers hate one of their own characters.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I wonder why Marvel would do that.
    Seems counterproductive to try to make the readers hate one of their own characters.
    Because, at the time, the franchise was seen as a bit of a dead end. So why worry about how the characters were perceived?

Fantastic Member

[QUOTE=CRaymond;4452018]Magma should’ve been a villain. She even spent time as a first gen Hellion right?

I’ve got a LOT of ideas about character amalgams in a rebooted X-context. Some obvious, like Jamie Braddock and Jim Jaspers. Some less so like Karma should have been Kwannon.[/QUOTE

Very interested in your amalgam ideas. I have plenty myself and funny enough one that hit similarly was tye Karma one but I actually had her as Betsy and Psylocke from the beginning. There should be a thread for the amalgamated characters because there are a few that could or should be done to remove some redundancy
    Last edited by GodfatherIV; 07-27-2019 at 10:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    First of all, no character "outgrows" the X-men because the franchise and the team will always be bigger than any of the individual characters, even Wolverine.

Second, the mission of the team is already as big as it gets- help protect mutantkind from a world that fears and hates them, all while dealing with worldwide/universal threats.

Third, retreat Storm to a corner of the MU in Africa only serves to make her less relevant to the franchise and to comics as a whole- this already happened during the BP marriage. Surely, there would be die hard fanboys that would buy every issue, but solos rarely sell at Marvel these days, even Logan isn't the highly reliable seller he used to be, and books that tend to be in their own corner don't sell, unless you get lucky and you get an historic run like Ewing's Hulk (and even then, it's Hulk, who will always sell more than most solos).
    First of all, Storm outgrowing the X-men has nothing to do with her abandonment of the team all together. It has everything to do with her the image the X-men present as a whole. It’s even reflected the latest bomb at the box office. For all the metaphors of inclusion, the X-men still present a message of white mutant supremacy. She is the picture of tokenized representation in the movies. Any wonder where the movies get their source material? A fully realized Storm would undoubtedly question her place of privilege in mutant society. If not, why’d she get so upset with Marisol Guerra for throwing it in her face? No, a fully realized Storm would recognize her cultural significance in that world. The X-men’s brand of white supremacy is a message that Storm has outgrown. A Storm that is oblivious to her place in the mutant hierarchy is like Wakanda playing coy about the history of the rest of the African continent.

Second, the mission of the team doesn’t need to change. Storm’s affiliation with the team doesn’t need to change. Her place in mutant society and her relationship with the X-men is what needs to change. The funniest thing about this point is Storm was doing this and fulfilling Xavier’s dream before he came to recruit her. Her decision to go with him and adopt the name “Storm” technically put her in a box. At this point she’s been there, done that.

Third, nothing I’ve suggested means cutting ties with the team all together. Her role is what needs to be redefined. I’m not saying she can’t go on missions occasionally. What does she personally bring to the X-men? It isn’t her unique voice in a world that mistreats Africans in general, women, mutants or the people bold enough to speak up for them? She is all of those. Storm’s intersectionality is a major point that never gets addressed. It never gets addressed because she’s the tokenized/romanticized black friend of the X-men team. Suffice it to say that if a fully realized Storm read that version of herself, I doubt she’d have much self pride for reinforcing the narratives she does under the past 10 years or so of X-writers.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

cool.jpg

this line up could be cool, right?
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Storm's still a lame character, but I'm glad some discussion came about this.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 07-28-2019 at 12:04 AM.