Page 108 of 666 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158208608 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 9989

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Storm's still a lame character, but I'm glad some discussion came about this.
    I mean, I know it's an opinion, but...

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    First of all, Storm outgrowing the X-men has nothing to do with her abandonment of the team all together. It has everything to do with her the image the X-men present as a whole. It’s even reflected the latest bomb at the box office. For all the metaphors of inclusion, the X-men still present a message of white mutant supremacy. She is the picture of tokenized representation in the movies. Any wonder where the movies get their source material? A fully realized Storm would undoubtedly question her place of privilege in mutant society. If not, why’d she get so upset with Marisol Guerra for throwing it in her face? No, a fully realized Storm would recognize her cultural significance in that world. The X-men’s brand of white supremacy is a message that Storm has outgrown. A Storm that is oblivious to her place in the mutant hierarchy is like Wakanda playing coy about the history of the rest of the African continent.

Second, the mission of the team doesn’t need to change. Storm’s affiliation with the team doesn’t need to change. Her place in mutant society and her relationship with the X-men is what needs to change. The funniest thing about this point is Storm was doing this and fulfilling Xavier’s dream before he came to recruit her. Her decision to go with him and adopt the name “Storm” technically put her in a box. At this point she’s been there, done that.

Third, nothing I’ve suggested means cutting ties with the team all together. Her role is what needs to be redefined. I’m not saying she can’t go on missions occasionally. What does she personally bring to the X-men? It isn’t her unique voice in a world that mistreats Africans in general, women, mutants or the people bold enough to speak up for them? She is all of those. Storm’s intersectionality is a major point that never gets addressed. It never gets addressed because she’s the tokenized/romanticized black friend of the X-men team. Suffice it to say that if a fully realized Storm read that version of herself, I doubt she’d have much self pride for reinforcing the narratives she does under the past 10 years or so of X-writers.
    that's it. you nailed it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

For all the metaphors of inclusion, the X-men still present a message of white mutant supremacy.
    Nope.

A fully realized Storm would undoubtedly question her place of privilege in mutant society.
    Has she ever, even under Claremont, the only writer that gets her according to most here? Also, this is now the character that right after M-Day ran away from the X-men to become a Queen, and now her fans love that she's a Goddess tied to Wakanda again. She's the ultimate privileged mutant, by her powers, looks, status. She's really the worst person to be doing questions of privilege to others- she's not someone that grew up in hell because of being a mutant (like Rachel, Cable, Bishop, etc), someone that got screwed up by her powers (like Cyclops or Rogue) or that can't pretend to not be a mutant (like Nightcrawler or Beast). Even people that grew up in a privileged position, like Archangel, suffered more for being a mutant than she did.

Storm really is the ultimate privileged mutant- almost every single other X-man suffered more than she did for being a mutant or being a X-man, and having her calling people on alleged privileges they have would be hypocritical, even more if she's a literal Goddess now.

That’s an interesting point. She’d consistently been put in positions of authority over disenfranchised segments, be it the 80s nomadic X-Men or the Morlocks. And while her success as “leader of the X-Men” is debated, she famously failed the latter.

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Now that I think about House of X the more that I would like the concept of a mutant safety zone like Krakoa if only to give mutants some breathing room without having to worry about getting blown up. I would like the X-Men to spread out more and establish some more bases so that they wouldn't have any single target to attack as Jean Grey put it in Red. I like the idea of building a base in a powerful and friendly country like Jean did for a bit in Red with Searebro in Atlantis. Another good idea would be to get on the good side of an alien empire and setting up a base on a world where the aliens can help defend it with advanced weaponry. I think that putting another base in Limbo might even be a good idea if it could be secured from demon attacks as the logistics of attacking it would be challenging. Some people would call this segregationist but don't think this can be comparable to the likes of Jim Crow at all. Mutants can do this voluntarily for their own protection after all and can still be free to mingle with the regular human world if they so choose. Perhaps even some trustworthy humans can be allowed to immigrate to mutant zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Nope.
    Has she ever, even under Claremont, the only writer that gets her according to most here? Also, this is now the character that right after M-Day ran away from the X-men to become a Queen, and now her fans love that she's a Goddess tied to Wakanda again. She's the ultimate privileged mutant, by her powers, looks, status. She's really the worst person to be doing questions of privilege to others- she's not someone that grew up in hell because of being a mutant (like Rachel, Cable, Bishop, etc), someone that got screwed up by her powers (like Cyclops or Rogue) or that can't pretend to not be a mutant (like Nightcrawler or Beast). Even people that grew up in a privileged position, like Archangel, suffered more for being a mutant than she did.

Storm really is the ultimate privileged mutant- almost every single other X-man suffered more than she did for being a mutant or being a X-man, and having her calling people on alleged privileges they have would be hypocritical, even more if she's a literal Goddess now.
    The reference is a bit old, but when she returned to Harlem in Uncanny X-men 122, she certainly felt the difference between herself and the people around her… It's not mutant society but it is still society.
    Competition about how has suffered the most and who is the most legitime to talk about suffering always sounds a bit unfair to me… Traumas are very varied and subjective.
    (Well, I liked Claremont's Storm: she was kind and sensitive.)
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Nope.

Well, this is your opinion. However, you seem to be leaving a lot of things out. But I will say A “privilege character” that is Not Storm. You might want to explain exactly how does Storm’s status and her powers makes her a privileged character?? Doesn’t reading people’s minds over the whole planet also make you just as privileged??? Storm being a Goddess of course as a fan it would be interesting because that’s a apart of her lineage. Much like how Jean is tied to the Phoenix and her whole family except Nate and Cable has tasted the power of that fiery bird. I think that’s unfair of you to say that. Also, your comment on how Storm has no right to talk to anyone about having a hard life makes no sense. Because your basically saying that being a Street Urchin Andd having your parents die in front of you and stealing and fighting to keep yourself from starving is also a privileged life correct?? Let’s not ignore Storm lost her powers saving someone she felt that did not deserve to be an X-Man(Rogue). She sided with the X-Men in AVX over her husband and duty as a Queen in front of the whole nation of Wakanda. And made herself an enemy of the country. It’s not fair to say she did nothing for the mutant population. Storm very well did the best she could and what was right. Doesn’t that not ring a bell??(Magneto, Scott) Of course writers made her feel like she was inadequate, but nevertheless Storm has always arose to do what is Necessary.

But that’s your opinion so hey.
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 07-28-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Storm's still a lame character, but I'm glad some discussion came about this.
    I actually agree with you. The more they tried turning her into the supreme x-woman the lamer she got. Her power set has never made her really viable as a solo character especially with the way lame writers kept jacking up her power levels to these near go levels. The most interesting time Storm ever had was when she lost her powers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I actually agree with you. The more they tried turning her into the supreme x-woman the lamer she got. Her power set has never made her really viable as a solo character especially with the way lame writers kept jacking up her power levels to these near go levels. The most interesting time Storm ever had was when she lost her powers.
    Of Course your entitled to your opinion, but a Lame character Storm is not. If anything it would be lame writers that don’t know how to write a good character. Storm’s powers are a good fit for a solo I don’t see how it’s not. But I will agree with you Storm was interesting when she lost her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Of Course your entitled to your opinion, but a Lame character Storm is not. If anything it would be lame writers that don’t know how to write a good character. Storm’s powers are a good fit for a solo I don’t see how it’s not. But I will agree with you Storm was interesting when she lost her powers.
    Storm has one of the most iconic powersets, of course sh ei snot lame or can't go solo with them.
    Also say that Storm is privileged when without her powers she is a black woman, one of the most opressed groups

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Storm has one of the most iconic powersets, of course sh ei snot lame or can't go solo with them.
    Also say that Storm is privileged when without her powers she is a black woman, one of the most opressed groups
    But she has her powers, and was Queen of the richest nation on Earth, and was worshipped as a Goddess.

Has she ever felt oppressed as a black woman? I've never had this feeling… As far as I can remember, she grew up in an environment without racism
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Well, that’s why I’m confused as people say she is a “Privileged Character” nothing in her life was the case. Honestly, I can say the same for Jean and Warren and Emma Frost.

But she has her powers, and was Queen of the richest nation on Earth, and was worshipped as a Goddess.
    And those same people casted her out when she sided with the X-Men in AVX. So...

Goddess Ororo doesn't get to call herself oppressed just because of her skin color. If anything she feels a responsibility to help others that have been far less fortune in their lives. After all, she knowns what its like to live on the streets so she can empathise with the less fortunate but she also knows what its like to be worshiped as a goddess. That said, I don't think Storm would get into any competition over whos oppression means more. And I think she would be much more about helping people feel empowered and in charge of their life then dwelling on any oppression in their lives. After all, Storm has not let the hardships in her life stop her from chasing her dreams.

I'm not going to get much into the whole "white mutant supremacy" message of the xmen much except to say that even as a non-white myself that still comes off as a really racist way to view the xmen. Growing up the xmen were always about helping their fellow mutants regardless of their skin color. Cyclops and the rest of the 05 delicate their lives to help any mutant regards of their skin color. Yes the original team was all white but that stopped being an issue with Giant sized Xmen #1 I have never seen anything racist from the xmen. Being white doesn't = being evil. If you think that, that itself is racist thinking. Even as a brown person I still felt a connection to white xmen like cyclops and jean grey because of how dedicated they are to helping others, even when they get nothing but hate for it. Thats inspiring and means more to me then their skin color.
    Last edited by Wissenschaft; 07-28-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Storm is whiter than Xavier, the 05, Havok, Polaris, Emma Frost and Dazzler put together.

Oh, wait, this is a thread for controversial opinions, isn't it? Nevermind, my bad.