Page 109 of 664 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159209609 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 9959
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    Goddess Ororo doesn't get to call herself oppressed just because of her skin color. If anything she feels a responsibility to help others that have been far less fortune in their lives. After all, she knowns what its like to live on the streets so she can empathise with the less fortunate but she also knows what its like to be worshiped as a goddess.

That said, I don't think Storm would get into any competition over whos oppression means more. And I think she would be much more about helping people feel empowered and in charge of their life then dwelling on any oppression in their lives. After all, Storm has not let the hardships in her life stop her from chasing her dreams.

I'm not going to get much into the whole "white mutant supremacy" message of the xmen much except to say that even as a non-white myself that still comes off as a really racists way to view the xmen.
    I agree. I don’t think being labeled a Goddess or a Queen is something Storm cares about.

Oh and I'll add I think Storm doesn't focus on solely African issues because to that would make her the token African woman there to deal with African problems. Instead, Storm helps everybody, regardless of their skin color and regardless of where they live in the world. She wants to protect everyone in the whole world, not just people that look like her. And that makes her heroic to take on such an impossible task as saving the world.

I remember seeing in another thread a panel where a kid is yelling at storm for being a sell out. Just taking orders from the xmen. No doubt there would be people calling her a sell out for taking orders from white mutants. It doesn't phase her. She fights on the xmen because she believes in their cause despite the hardship and criticism she gets. That makes her heroic.
    Last edited by Wissenschaft; 07-28-2019 at 01:17 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Nope.

Has she ever, even under Claremont, the only writer that gets her according to most here? Also, this is now the character that right after M-Day ran away from the X-men to become a Queen, and now her fans love that she's a Goddess tied to Wakanda again. She's the ultimate privileged mutant, by her powers, looks, status. She's really the worst person to be doing questions of privilege to others- she's not someone that grew up in hell because of being a mutant (like Rachel, Cable, Bishop, etc), someone that got screwed up by her powers (like Cyclops or Rogue) or that can't pretend to not be a mutant (like Nightcrawler or Beast). Even people that grew up in a privileged position, like Archangel, suffered more for being a mutant than she did.

Storm really is the ultimate privileged mutant- almost every single other X-man suffered more than she did for being a mutant or being a X-man, and having her calling people on alleged privileges they have would be hypocritical, even more if she's a literal Goddess now.
    My friend, I get the impression that you don’t quite understand the phrase “white mutant supremacy”. Are you sure it’s the smartest idea to dismiss it? Could you come up with a list of the 20 most active X-men in the last 10 years? Would it be fair to say that majority of that list will be white? Lol the list of 14 omegas is predominantly white. (Be careful. Some people don’t like when that’s highlighted.) The X-men show a united white front of mutant faces with Storm thrown in. Have you seen Dark Phoenix? Have you been paying attention to X-men comics at all? When most of the mutants in the books and on teams are white it pushes the narrative that mutants are predominantly white by default. That makes Storm the token amongst a white majority. Did I mention X-men: Dark Phoenix? Come back to me and we’ll talk.

No. She clearly has not questioned her privilege until a child threw it in her face. But you’re missing a crucial piece of the puzzle. Storm has been written as the mainstay black team member for most of her career. The issue about what it means to be both mutant and black never comes up because it’s irrelevant to the narrative of the predominantly white X-men. But it would not and could not be irrelevant to the narrative of a woman like Storm. She’s a celebrity like Captain Marvel and Invisible Woman. She represents something more as a black woman. Look no further that Michael Jackson, Prince, Beyoncé or Serena Willians. All the top of their field. None of them are too removed from society that they forget the expectations and preconceived notions placed on black people. A fully realized Storm would recognize her celebrity and how much she inspires little black girls the world over.

But Storm doesn’t acknowledge that in the X-men books. Admitting this would mean that writers would have to do more to make her feel a little more human. A little more like a real black woman. Instead of that forward momentum, which is really the only reasonable direction for her to go in, we get he eternal X-man. She’s just there. No voice for her other than to reinforce the narrative that he white majority has set. But you don’t get it. There isn’t a massive push by fans for Storm to be portrayed by a dark skinned black woman. That push has absolutely nothing to do with all that she represents to black culture, right? (I’m guessing you’re one of the “ Storm is colorless” crowd?)

Could you imagine Wakandans speaking of their wealth and prosperity without the act of turning a blind eye to the spread of colonialism across the rest of the continent? It would be ridiculous. Much in the same way, X-men writers have routinely avoided addressing Storm’s intersectionality. It’s avoided like the plague. They aren’t above throwing her in the background of some team shot for nostalgia’s sake. And on goes the cycle of never bringing her up to date. Just a rehash of her glory days.

This is the Storm that needs to show her face around the X-men. Keep all the feats. Make her aware of herself and the world in which her narrative is framed. Bring black woman Storm to the X-men books to discuss issues that uniquely effect black female mutant bisexuals. Or else keep your team of white people with a tag along Storm to make everyone comfortable about their diversity hire.

BANNED

Goddess Ororo doesn't get to call herself oppressed just because of her skin color. If anything she feels a responsibility to help others that have been far less fortune in their lives. After all, she knowns what its like to live on the streets so she can empathise with the less fortunate but she also knows what its like to be worshiped as a goddess. That said, I don't think Storm would get into any competition over whos oppression means more. And I think she would be much more about helping people feel empowered and in charge of their life then dwelling on any oppression in their lives. After all, Storm has not let the hardships in her life stop her from chasing her dreams.

I'm not going to get much into the whole "white mutant supremacy" message of the xmen much except to say that even as a non-white myself that still comes off as a really racist way to view the xmen. Growing up the xmen were always about helping their fellow mutants regardless of their skin color. Cyclops and the rest of the 05 delicate their lives to help any mutant regards of their skin color. Yes the original team was all white but that stopped being an issue with Giant sized Xmen #1 I have never seen anything racist from the xmen. Being white doesn't = being evil. If you think that, that itself is racist thinking. Even as a brown person I still felt a connection to white xmen like cyclops and jean grey because of how dedicated they are to helping others, even when they get nothing but hate for it. Thats inspiring and means more to me then their skin color.

Who said white = evil? You made that up. Then you framed an argument in defense of this mysterious white identity that was never threatened to begin with. Over the last 10 - 15 years the majority of the mainstays have been white mutants, and Storm. You’re basically saying that those issues are nonexistent when Hickman himself addressed it. Nobody claimed it to be this nefarious plot. What is being said is that the majority of the stories are framed from a white mutant POV. I commend you as a brown person that has been content with seeing no brown representation. I was introduced to Storm as a kid and she immediately stuck out to me because she looked like me. The feeling of inclusion or having skin in the game is powerful for children. At least it was for me. Even still, I’m glad the X-men are colorless for you. And many of Storm’s fans demanding a dark skinned woman to play her is just ridiculous?

BANNED

Cyclops and the rest of the 05 delicate their lives to help any mutant regards of their skin color.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Who said white = evil? You made that up. Then you framed an argument in defense of this mysterious white identity that was never threatened to begin with. Over the last 10 - 15 years the majority of the mainstays have been white mutants, and Storm. You’re basically saying that those issues are nonexistent when Hickman himself addressed it. Nobody claimed it to be this nefarious plot. What is being said is that the majority of the stories are framed from a white mutant POV. I commend you as a brown person that has been content with seeing no brown representation. I was introduced to Storm as a kid and she immediately stuck out to me because she looked like me. The feeling of inclusion or having skin in the game is powerful for children. At least it was for me. Even still, I’m glad the X-men are colorless for you. And many of Storm’s fans demanding a dark skinned woman to play her is just ridiculous?
    I'm going to need to see some recepits on that as a brown person statement. cause...reading the post you responded t. Your answer pretty much says it all. I too am glad some people are more than happy to settle. But that ain't me.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I'm going to need to see some recepits on that as a brown person statement. cause...reading the post you responded t. Your answer pretty much says it all. I too am glad some people are more than happy to settle. But that ain't me.
    After reading that post.. I am like yikes, are they really a POC and from where, because this aint it.. I wonder why the go to argument as a poc I connect to white xmen. Of course all of the poc fans do as well. They're not a enough characters for us to resonate with. If my liking the X men was predicated on me having a Black male characters that represented me then I would not be a fan period !

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I didn’t wanna say it. The staunch defense of the ever elusive white identity raised more than a few eyebrows. I didn’t want to accuse one of our brown brothers or sisters of perpetuating anti-blackness (even though it is).

Storm's parents were casualties of a colonial war and she grew up in poverty and had a life-long trauma. Her father is an African-American and likely a descendant of enslaved Africans. I think there are amazing stories yet to be written about Storm and her perspective on the world.

Black lives don't always need to be depicted as pure suffering. Storm is a power fantasy and a symbol of a black life that can thrive, not just survive. Obviously, white writers don't know how to balance the real-world oppression black women like Storm face with the fantasy of a world where impossible things are possible (like a black woman who is possibly fully free).
    Last edited by Strong Girl Daken; 07-28-2019 at 04:07 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Storm's parents were casualties of a colonial war and she grew up in poverty and had a life-long trauma. Her father is an African-American and likely a descendant of enslaved Africans. I think there are amazing stories yet to be written about Storm and her perspective on the world.

Black lives don't always need to be depicted as pure suffering. Storm is a power fantasy and a symbol of a black life that can thrive, not just survive. Obviously, white writers don't know how to balance the real-world oppression black women like Storm face with the fantasy of a world where impossible things are possible (like a black woman who is possibly fully free).
    Every word of this. Every single word. She is Marvel’s Serena Williams. Her fans know she’s great. We’ve followed her career. There’s just an added sense of pride when I see a black woman in love with her melanin, doing the damn thing, being the woman she wants to be, aware of all the obstacles in her path, but keeps fighting because her spirit won’t let her quit. I personally interpret the message of the X-men differently from Storm than I do Cyclops or Havok. It is what it is and I make no apologies about that. Confidence just looks different on a chocolate black woman.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Every word of this. Every single word. She is Marvel’s Serena Williams. Her fans know she’s great. We’ve followed her career. There’s just an added sense of pride when I see a black woman in love with her melanin, doing the damn thing, being the woman she wants to be, aware of all the obstacles in her path, but keeps fighting because her spirit won’t let her quit. I personally interpret the message of the X-men differently from Storm than I do Cyclops or Havok. It is what it is and I make no apologies about that. Confidence just looks different on a chocolate black woman.
    Which is why I loved me some chocolate Monet. She's arrogant, but for a change it's nice seeing a boujee dark-skinned black girl for a change.

Nowadays, I don't care if she's dark. Long as she's not white.

Sad...
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 07-28-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    hahhahhaa.

Well, I said my bit. I've no intention of starting an argument. This is the unpopular/controversial opinions thread and I said my piece.
    Last edited by Wissenschaft; 07-28-2019 at 05:10 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Which is why I loved me some chocolate Monet. She's arrogant, but for a change it's nice seeing a boujee dark-skinned black girl for a change.

Nowadays, I don't care if she's dark. Long as she's not white.

Sad...
    Just reposting for the grandiosity of boujee black women. Bring back chocolate Monet!
    hahhahhaa.

Well, I said my bit. I've no intention of starting an argument. This is the unpopular/controversial opinions thread and I said my piece.
    I promise you there was no intention of starting an argument with you. I was interested in getting a better understanding of how you believe intersectionality should play a role in advancing mutant culture. You seemed to be of a mind to ignore that aspect of human identity. Would gay mutants clique up? Would black mutants have their own slang? Are gay or black readers wrong for wanting to know? As far as your stance in support of Storm ignoring all of what she represents? I promise you that opinion is neither unpopular or controversial. The fact that her fans have to ask for this proves that leaving it out is the popular option. Instead we get nostalgic safe Storm that goes along to get along.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Just reposting for the grandiosity of boujee black women. Bring back chocolate Monet!
    She did come back very briefly, but it was a cameo where we only see her from the chin down. It was the darkest she'd been since GenX. In the Mojo Black one-shot.

Otherwise, the Ken Lashley version is her darkest.

I actually think the franchise needs a decent Storm, as much as the character needs to have her point of view shown. Someone said "there are amazing stories yet to be written about Storm and her perspective on the world". The character desperately needs a sensible writer to address those stories.

The ideal would be having a book built around her, like X-Men Red was to Jean.