Page 113 of 657 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213613 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 9846

Berry Windsor Smith's Weapon X comic is great, but is actually a very small and intimate story with a cool twist. Very dark ending too. It's not an unpopular opinion, but I think people tend to think of Weapon X as this big epic event and it's not.

Alright , buckle up:

1) I don’t think Aaron’s run of watxm was that bad, all the vitriol doesn’t make sense to me...imo it was a fun book

2) piggy-backing off that, I think schism + regenesis makes sense as a storyline, shameless cash grab on marvel’s end but hey at least it was a logical step for a LOT of characters and actually fostered development within the line as a whole...same can’t be said for a lot of other line-wide “events”

3) avx wasn’t that bad. I said it. Not a classic by any means but I feel like it’s quality or lack thereof gets blown way outta proportion. Maybe I need to give it a re-read though

4) I like the mutants being involved in “the marvel U at large”, it gives us potential for some pretty brill moments like the FF/Cyke convo in House of X to use a recent ex. Also it holds off the same ol plot elements from stagnating, there’s just more life for writers to play with and pull from. Sure there’s fallacies like the public living the avengers and hating the xmen but cmon we’re reading comics for gods sake ...we can afford to suspend our disbelief

5) characters I’ve seen getting flack like kitty, mystique, Emma, Storm to an extent, there’s definitely more but anyways they aren’t bad *characters*, it’s the writers that have no clue how to handle them; they’re either so focused on writing a Strong Female Character that they remove any flaws that made the character interesting, or they just build and build on shoddy character work that can be traced as far back as the 80s/90s in some cases instead of pulling the character in a fresh direction. I don’t want to discredit these writers but this is a difficult medium to write for, any plans you have could be made null in an instant and you’re working with characters that have been interpreted a million different ways to varying degrees of success. I guess what I’m sayIng is we need fresh voices lol

6) Nostalgia is killing current books and alienating new readers. If you want something new, let them give it to us. Claremont did good work, now he’s done. New writers need *space* and *time* to develop fresh new storylines to draw in readers and fans and editors alike don’t seem ready to give it to them...just my humble 2 cents

That last one is far from unpopular. It's what everyone has been saying here for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    That last one is far from unpopular. It's what everyone has been saying here for years.
    hehe you got me there, at that point I was kind of vomiting out opinions...I’ve seen a good deal of people on here saying they want Claremont back or they’ve stopped reading because it wasn’t like “the old days” or whatever which is fair i mean if you aren’t enjoying something why subject yourself to it. At the same time you can’t expect a “franchise” like this to stay the same through so many years and creative teams....I guess that’s what i was getting at just piss poor wording lol

I don’t know if these are necessarily unpopular but they’re certainly controversial:

• The X-Men shouldn’t be superheroes like the Avengers or Fantastic Four but should exist in a morally grey area that’s willing to do what’s necessary to ensure mutant protection and sanctity. It also makes their eventual clashes with the Brotherhood and MLF much more interesting.
    • I love love love Mr & Mrs X, but Gambit and Cecilia Reyes was the superior ship
    • Forge should’ve stayed dead after Ghost Boxes or stayed missing until IvX as a big bad instead of Emma (where he would’ve.....died)

No, enough POC getting screwed with no-sense plots

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    3) avx wasn’t that bad. I said it. Not a classic by any means but I feel like it’s quality or lack thereof gets blown way outta proportion. Maybe I need to give it a re-read though
    because of the hickman i am rechewing thru heroic to marble now stuff to reread hickvengers, and yesterday and the day before that i consumed avx again like a whale shark opening its maw to catch the algae

it was pretty dope tbh, and that art oh god so much NUT, p5 scotty is so daddy, and the polar bear page hnnng, i give it a spicy meatball out of a pasta

I also read that um, What If? mini for it, and it's the worst thing I have consumed in a hot goddamn minute. Makes Rosenberg look omega galaxy brain. Palmiotti may be the god of MK, but his actual stories are straight ass. A recommend it to everyone who wants a hearty laugh. Sick art, tho.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    hehe you got me there, at that point I was kind of vomiting out opinions...I've seen a good deal of people on here saying they want Claremont back or they’ve stopped reading because it wasn’t like “the old days” or whatever which is fair i mean if you aren’t enjoying something why subject yourself to it. At the same time you can’t expect a “franchise” like this to stay the same through so many years and creative teams....I guess that’s what i was getting at just piss poor wording lol
    Is it a controversial opinion… I miss the many panels on each page. Now there are just a few of them and the text is so scarce that reading a comic only lasts about ten minutes.
    It isn't about the story itself but the way stories are told: in the past, comics felt like graphic novels, now it feels more like movies: we knew what the characters thought, what were their motivations (yes, Claremont was very wordy…), it created a intimate relationship between the reader and the characters. I don't say it is not the case anymore, it is just rarer. Now usually we have to guess.
    Now it's true, it's the past, the wheel has turned like it is the case for many things…
    Last edited by Zelena; 08-03-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    No, enough POC getting screwed with no-sense plots
    Yeah but Forge never recovered from being the “creepy, bordline-obsessed lover” that Ellis cranked up to the 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Yeah but Forge never recovered from being the “creepy, bordline-obsessed lover” that Ellis cranked up to the 11.
    When/where was that?

BANNED

People like to blame all the relationship problems to Scott but the truth is that Jean had been teasing Wolverine for years (she also dumped him all the time)

Before Scott messed up Jean had already some kisses with wolverine over the years, all when she was in a "serious relationship" with Cyclops. She kissed Wolverine two times on the Morrison era, in one of them she went looking for him, and all was before Scott had even the smallest contact with Emma (he didn't even have sex with Emma until Jean was dead)

so yeah, stop that, they both messed up. Not only Cyclops.

Edit: "But CuteNimrod, Scott wasn't being a husband to her" Well Jean wasn't even being a good wife neither. Good wifes don't go kissing other guys.
    Last edited by CuteNimrod; 08-03-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    When/where was that?
    Ghost Boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Is it a controversial opinion… I miss the many panels on each page. Now there are just a few of them and the text is so scarce that reading a comic only lasts about ten minutes.
    It isn't about the story itself but the way stories are told: in the past, comics felt like graphic novels, now it feels more like movies: we knew what the characters thought, what were their motivations (yes, Claremont was very wordy…), it created a intimate relationship between the reader and the characters. I don't say it is not the case anymore, it is just rarer. Now usually we have to guess.
    Now it's true, it's the past, the wheel has turned like it is the case for many things…
    This gave me some more perspective to chew on, so thanks you for that I wonder if the shift from "graphic Novel" to "movie" can be attributed simply to the styles of a different generation of writers with a different range of influences being hired on or if it was editorially encouraged to mirror marvel's growing film catalogue...food for thought...

Believe me I love Claremont's wordiness, but I feel like no one quite does it like him; if someone were to write the X-men like that today it'd probs just fall flat in contrast

BANNED

I liked Aaron's WATXM and AVX a lot. Those and Gillen's brief run (as well as Remender's X-Force and Carey on adjectiveless) were the most I'd been into the books since Morrison. WATXM was a lot of fun with characters I found fresh. And as someone alluded to above re: themes, for me, for better or worse, Gillen and AVX was the last time X-Men felt transgressive and dangerous to me. The world should be afraid of the X-Men; the Avengers should be willing to go to the wall in a morally gray situation which takes our mutant heroes to the limit and beyond. People weren't happy bc they felt Scott and co. were vilified. I didn't see it like that. I found it fascinating.

I have next to no use for anything Messiah Complex or Hope-related. Or Brubaker's run for that matter. I enjoyed his DD and Cap, but he was a bad fit for the books and I wanted to drive an ingot into my head due to his love of ending every line like this....
    Last edited by powerpax; 08-03-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I liked Aaron's WATXM and AVX a lot. Those and Gillen's brief run (as well as Remender's X-Force and Carey on adjectiveless) were the most I'd been into the books since Morrison. WATXM was a lot of fun with characters I found fresh. And as someone alluded to above re: themes, for me, for better or worse, Gillen and AVX was the last time X-Men felt transgressive and dangerous to me. The world should be afraid of the X-Men; the Avengers should be willing to go to the wall in a morally gray situation which takes our mutant heroes to the limit and beyond. People weren't happy bc they felt Scott and co. were vilified. I didn't see it like that. I found it fascinating.

I have next to no use for anything Messiah Complex or Hope-related. Or Brubaker's run for that matter. I enjoyed his DD and Cap, but he was a bad fit for the books and I wanted to drive an ingot into my head due to his love of ending every line like this....
    BIG agree. Never read messiah but I like Hope enough ig, seemed like a plot device for a hot minute but it looks like they're moving on from that. And thank youuuu for completely vindicating all my thoughts on watxm no one wants the xmen to be fun