Page 13 of 668 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    - I hate Southern Belle Anna Marie. To me, my dearest Rogue died the moment she crossed the Siege Perilous.

- Jim Lee made only a few (very) good X-Men issues: 248, 256-258 and 267. That was an interesting style, the remaining (that is, his classic era, the one which everybody imitated) is pretty bad, but unfortunately it set the trend.

- I like the notion of the former costume design (black/blue and yellow, with boots and gloves) for every X-Men, each one with his/her own variation in order to adjust it to his/her taste and necessity. It's elegant and it gives a sense of unity.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question quite well (blame my poor English). Could you possibily express it in other words?
    What do you mean by "Southern Belle Anna Marie"?

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Rogue was a lot more of a sort of wild punk back then. She later became a bit too coy perhaps for Rita's taste
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question quite well (blame my poor English). Could you possibily express it in other words?
    Oh wait, are you implying that maybe this pairing was a reflection of the relationship between the editor and the editor-in-chief? So they get along in bed, but they were not in love, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What do you mean by "Southern Belle Anna Marie"?
    I mean this:

Rogue playing the bimbo, posturing at a macho chest!!!, being the X-Men official cheerful airhead hot chick and drama queen at the same time, melting for Gambit. Where's our raw self-sufficient riot girl? :'(

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Oh wait, are you implying that maybe this pairing was a reflection of the relationship between the editor and the editor-in-chief? So they get along in bed, but they were not in love, LOL.

I mean this:

Rogue playing the bimbo, posturing at a macho chest!!!, being the X-Men official cheerful airhead hot chick and drama queen at the same time, melting for Gambit. Where's our raw self-sufficient riot girl? :'(
    Well.. that IS controversial. Mostly because... well... Thats the Rogue that I'd estimate most people are familiar with. I vaguely remember her before, but Sassy-class-southern-brawler is the characterization of Rogue I fell in love with.
    Perspective is a crazy thing.
    Being the Spirit of the team = The X-Men official cheerful airhead
    Powerhouse w/developed relationships = Hot chick/drama queen
    Falling in love and growing as a character = Melting for gambit.

In someways I'd say our self-sufficient Riot girl became something more than a mere caricature of rebellion, but a fully flushed out member of a team.

I really want her back in the x-pantheon with her Ms.Marvel(++) powers. Secondary mutation/Effect of Age of X? She learns to control the memory and power absorption, and find that using it increases her lifespan.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I actually thought She Lies With Angels had a lot of potential (thus why I reworked it for my fic), it just failed in the execution.
    I might even give Austen more credit if he weren't the one who killed off Skin and had him buried under the wrong name (Grrr!).

Since we seem to be mixing in Unpopular Opinions about X-Fandom too, here's mine:

- Almost all our opinions and attitudes whether controversial or not can be traced to when we fell in love with the franchise. And for those of us who got into it as kids, that can be a surprisingly short period of time. For example, my own tastes seem to come from a combination of the Fox cartoon series and about a year of comics ranging from roughly Uncanny X-Men #309 to Uncanny X-Men #321. My love for Generation X and Jubilee in particular, Iceman and Banshee both being faves, the big family soap opera stuff, my feeling that Wolverine isn't a completely necessary character (this is coming in after Fatal Attractions, remember). It's all there.

Think about it for yourselves. There's a good chance it's true.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I might even give Austen more credit if he weren't the one who killed off Skin and had him buried under the wrong name (Grrr!).

Since we seem to be mixing in Unpopular Opinions about X-Fandom too, here's mine:

- Almost all our opinions and attitudes whether controversial or not can be traced to when we fell in love with the franchise. And for those of us who got into it as kids, that can be a surprisingly short period of time. For example, my own tastes seem to come from a combination of the Fox cartoon series and about a year of comics ranging from roughly Uncanny X-Men #309 to Uncanny X-Men #321. My love for Generation X and Jubilee in particular, Iceman and Banshee both being faves, the big family soap opera stuff, my feeling that Wolverine isn't a completely necessary character (this is coming in after Fatal Attractions, remember). It's all there.

I think a great deal of X-Men fans came into it when it was at peak popularity, i.e. 1991 through 1996.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Most people have already mentioned the things I would mention. e.g Morrison's run (awful stories, and had ugly art) – Carey's Rogue – who was that character? Omega anything is a waste.

Re: Iceman
    It was a publicity stunt that really did nothing for the character. The idea with this new development that he'll get loads more stories and blah blah. Nope, he is still ignored and written the same way as he was before he was outed. IMO

I don't like savior/super babies (Hope, Shogo) …. I never understood the need for the plot device.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    -Having a villain or hero dying simply as a excuse by the writer to upgrade the characters powers. It cheapens the concept of death and why would coming back from the dead suddenly upgrade a characters powers.
    Or to bolster another character because the power set the character has isn't desired by the writer.
    Last edited by Neko; 06-28-2016 at 08:18 AM.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

- I hate Southern Belle Anna Marie. To me, my dearest Rogue died the moment she crossed the Siege Perilous.
    Rogue was different back in the day. Was the change around the time Jim Lee showed up? In the early 80's Rogue wasn't really drawn as a "hot chick".

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Rogue was different back in the day. Was the change around the time Jim Lee showed up? In the early 80's Rogue wasn't really drawn as a "hot chick".
    She wasn't really drawn that way at first(not to the extent Jim Lee took her), but even back then she was intended to be attractive.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    She wasn't really drawn that way at first(not to the extent Jim Lee took her), but even back then she was intended to be attractive.

Maybe it's the super-long and curly hair and, of course, the uniform. Maybe the change kinda got started with her black bodysuit w/the green top and that belt? She was pretty hot in that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    I don't like savior/super babies (Hope, Shogo) …. I never understood the need for the plot device.
    Shogo ended up being just a regular baby with some unusual connections, though.

Agreed completely. And that is why I think the fans are sometimes the worst.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. As kids, we've formed deep impressions on how X-Men should be and once the franchise strays a little bit from that, the complaints begin. It's stifling the franchise from progressing.

So another unpopular opinion of mine. Really glad I didn't grow up with the X-Men.

BANNED

I think regarding X fans that fans that entered when they're younger will have always a favorite portrayal of the X men over everything else but will be reluctant to change and always want their X men.
    As for me I became a fan when I was around 18 years old, around the beggining of the Bendis Era but previously I had already watched X men evolution and original x men cartoon, so I was more open to new ideas of what to do with the X men, as long as they're good. That's why I enjoyed the Utopia Era and the X factor Era a lot, they're interesting takes that moved the x men away from their comfort zone and had them face the world in a way instead of hiding

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by iacobusleo View Post
    Agreed completely. And that is why I think the fans are sometimes the worst.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. As kids, we've formed deep impressions on how X-Men should be and once the franchise strays a little bit from that, the complaints begin. It's stifling the franchise from progressing.

So another unpopular opinion of mine. Really glad I didn't grow up with the X-Men.
    I'm not going to say that nostalgia is all bad. Sometimes it can come in handy. But I will say that it can be a double-edged sword.

Though, I find your comment about the franchise "progressing" interesting. Progress indicates a forward momentum. How do you know which way is forward?

Though, I find your comment about the franchise "progressing" interesting. Progress indicates a forward momentum. How do you know which way is forward?

Would love to hear a spin doctor try to say the franchise is in a better position now.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!