Page 14 of 668 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114514 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

1. Wolverine is Meh!!!

2. Jean Grey should have stayed dead after the Dark Phx Saga.

3. Xmen has yet to develop a minority male character to his full extent. Despite the mutant minority metaphor to this day we still dont have an adequate black male xman.

4. Rogue should have stayed being unable to touch.

5. Mystique should have died long ago.

6. New Xmen and the squads were one of the better ideas they have had in a long, long time.

7. Magneto should have stayed mostly a villian sometime a strained ally.

8. Cable should not have been Cyclops son.

9. Gambit should have been blk(creole).

10. Generation X should have never been canceled just given to a better writer toward the end.

11. I never got the Jubilee hype.

12. Iceman always gave off closet case. Hell even Family guy spoofed him lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    11. I never got the Jubilee hype.
    Was there hype? I don't remember much hype. Usually it's just me and the other handful of people who like the character talking them up, and you get that with every character.

3. Xmen has yet to develop a minority male character to his full extent. Despite the mutant minority metaphor to this day we still dont have an adequate black male xman.

9. Gambit should have been blk(creole).

10. Generation X should have never been canceled just given to a better writer toward the end.

I can agree with these.

Particularly the black male X-Man. Bishop was ok back in the day, but then Claremont turned him into Gateway's relative(while doing some nice things with the cop persona and playing off Sage), and then they X-Office just straight threw him under the bus for all that Hope bs, so he's almost beyond repair at this point. Synch had great potential(even if he was a little too squeaky clean), but of course they blew him up.

Gambit as Creole would have been interesting, but that ship has long since sailed(interestingly Claremont did do a biracial Gambit in his Exiles).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Was there hype? I don't remember much hype. Usually it's just me and the other handful of people who like the character talking them up, and you get that with every character.
    I can understand back in the 90's, but I don't think theres too much hype for her character nowadays.

1. Wolverine is Meh!!!

6. New Xmen and the squads were one of the better ideas they have had in a long, long time.

I think most people would agree with these choices.

Mighty Member

Yes jubilee got hype, she was in the cartoon. She had Gen X centered around her for a bit. She for a time had quite the fan following.

I'm not going to say that nostalgia is all bad. Sometimes it can come in handy. But I will say that it can be a double-edged sword.

Though, I find your comment about the franchise "progressing" interesting. Progress indicates a forward momentum. How do you know which way is forward?
    Well, they seem to be focusing away from Wolverine, Jean and Scott are finally getting some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

Would love to hear a spin doctor try to say the franchise is in a better position now.
    Well, im a witch doctor, does it count ?.

Astonishing Member

Yes jubilee got hype, she was in the cartoon. She had Gen X centered around her for a bit. She for a time had quite the fan following.
    Having a fan following isn't necessarily the same as having hype. Hype is when the company itself really plays a character up as being a "hot" character. Jubilee was played up during the '90s because back then she was pretty much the only young character the X-Men had until the rest of Generation X showed up. All the previous young characters didn't seem all that young anymore, especially since a bunch of them went off and joined Cable's personal army. And by the time Generation X showed up Jubilee was a known entity, so it was easy to use her as a gateway into Generation X. Complaining about Jubilee hype from the '90s is kind of like complaining about Kitty Pryde hype from the '80s. They were just playing up the characters they had.

Look, I am personally a Jubilee fan. I said on the first page that I think she should have become a mainstay of the X-Men (what fan wouldn't say that about their character). But if there was hype, it must have only worked on a handful of us. I find it's much more common for X-Men fans to see Jubilee as the "lame mallrat with the power of sparkles" than anything else.

Though, this does allow me to bring something else up. Maybe not an opinion such as a vibe I keep picking up. Essentially, does anyone else feel like the X-Men books sometimes don't "progress" so much as they "escalate"? As an example, let's look at the backgrounds of the major teen characters introduced since the '80s.

'80s- Kitty Pryde. Kitty was very normal. She was this suburban kid who's only major differences were that she was a mutant and she was uncommonly intelligent. The most major drama she had was that her parents were getting divorced, which she reacted to in some rather over-the-top ways.

'90s- Jubilee. Jubilee is in some ways the anti-Kitty, being less bright-eyed and responsible and more cynical and rebellious. She also a character who went from rags to riches. Starting out as a Beverly Hills rich kid, she lost everything and ended up as a homeless teenage runaway before she ended up with the X-Men. Though, she plays it off with her famous attitude.

2000s- X23. They tried to make a lot of different teen characters catch on over the years (Angel, Armor, Pixie, etc), but the one that really took off was X23, who's a genetically engineered assassin with no childhood and no sense of normal.

It's like every new generation demands characters that are more miserable and messed up than the previous ones. And if the X-Men do escalate more than they move forward, is there a point where it's not possible anymore?

Having a fan following isn't necessarily the same as having hype. Hype is when the company itself really plays a character up as being a "hot" character. Jubilee was played up during the '90s because back then she was pretty much the only young character the X-Men had until the rest of Generation X showed up. All the previous young characters didn't seem all that young anymore, especially since a bunch of them went off and joined Cable's personal army. And by the time Generation X showed up Jubilee was a known entity, so it was easy to use her as a gateway into Generation X. Complaining about Jubilee hype from the '90s is kind of like complaining about Kitty Pryde hype from the '80s. They were just playing up the characters they had.

Look, I am personally a Jubilee fan. I said on the first page that I think she should have become a mainstay of the X-Men (what fan wouldn't say that about their character). But if there was hype, it must have only worked on a handful of us. I find it's much more common for X-Men fans to see Jubilee as the "lame mallrat with the power of sparkles" than anything else.

Though, this does allow me to bring something else up. Maybe not an opinion such as a vibe I keep picking up. Essentially, does anyone else feel like the X-Men books sometimes don't "progress" so much as they "escalate"? As an example, let's look at the backgrounds of the major teen characters introduced since the '80s.

'80s- Kitty Pryde. Kitty was very normal. She was this suburban kid who's only major differences were that she was a mutant and she was uncommonly intelligent. The most major drama she had was that her parents were getting divorced, which she reacted to in some rather over-the-top ways.

'90s- Jubilee. Jubilee is in some ways the anti-Kitty, being less bright-eyed and responsible and more cynical and rebellious. She also a character who went from rags to riches. Starting out as a Beverly Hills rich kid, she lost everything and ended up as a homeless teenage runaway before she ended up with the X-Men. Though, she plays it off with her famous attitude.

2000s- X23. They tried to make a lot of different teen characters catch on over the years (Angel, Armor, Pixie, etc), but the one that really took off was X23, who's a genetically engineered assassin with no childhood and no sense of normal.

It's like every new generation demands characters that are more miserable and messed up than the previous ones. And if the X-Men do escalate more than they move forward, is there a point where it's not possible anymore?
    Interesting point. Although, as popular as X-23 was, I wouldn't put her in the same league as 80's Kitty/90's Jubilee.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    - I hate Southern Belle Anna Marie. To me, my dearest Rogue died the moment she crossed the Siege Perilous.

- Jim Lee made only a few (very) good X-Men issues: 248, 256-258 and 267. That was an interesting style, the remaining (that is, his classic era, the one which everybody imitated) is pretty bad, but unfortunately it set the trend.
    I couldn't stand that Southern belle crud. I do like some of the issues with her and Psylocke competing about being who's more ladylike. Psylocke wins that hands down, lol.

I feel almost the same about Psylocke, I stopped reading her for near a decade due to her crap characterization in the mid/late 90's.
    Jim Lee is so overrated but in the minds of some he's the best thing since Shrimp and grits. Nothing better than Shrimp and Grits, except Bacon and Eggs.

Cyclops should have gotten his eye blasts stabilised years ago.

Rogue should have kept her ability to touch.

Emma took advantage of Scott during his depression.

BANNED

I might even give Austen more credit if he weren't the one who killed off Skin and had him buried under the wrong name (Grrr!).

Since we seem to be mixing in Unpopular Opinions about X-Fandom too, here's mine:

- Almost all our opinions and attitudes whether controversial or not can be traced to when we fell in love with the franchise. And for those of us who got into it as kids, that can be a surprisingly short period of time. For example, my own tastes seem to come from a combination of the Fox cartoon series and about a year of comics ranging from roughly Uncanny X-Men #309 to Uncanny X-Men #321. My love for Generation X and Jubilee in particular, Iceman and Banshee both being faves, the big family soap opera stuff, my feeling that Wolverine isn't a completely necessary character (this is coming in after Fatal Attractions, remember). It's all there.

Think about it for yourselves. There's a good chance it's true.
    You're 100% right on this. To me my favorite Era was basically 85-91, just before the EXTREME Era of Comics and Badgirls in nothing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Emma took advantage of Scott during his depression.
    And got away with it. Double standards altough if someone tried to paint Cyclops as a victim thanks to double standards he'd had end up looking as a joke.

Now I got another unpopular opinion
    MAKE THE X MEN GREAT AGAIN!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, they seem to be focusing away from Wolverine, Jean and Scott are finally getting some respect.

Well, im a witch doctor, does it count ?.
    Extraordinary is a series about "Cyclops thing" without Cyclops ...

The current leader of the young X-Men is .... young Cyclops
    we have one "teen Jean", "old" Logan .... Wolverine femele

the leader is magneto ... because nobody cares Storm as leader

fantastic "progression"

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    And got away with it. Double standards altough if someone tried to paint Cyclops as a victim thanks to double standards he'd had end up looking as a joke.

Now I got another unpopular opinion
    MAKE THE X MEN GREAT AGAIN!
    Yeah, Cyclops has been mentally and physically assaulted at least twice, but some reason it's always his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by bubibartra View Post
    Extraordinary is a series about "Cyclops thing" without Cyclops ...

The current leader of the young X-Men is .... young Cyclops
    we have one "teen Jean", "old" Logan .... Wolverine femele

the leader is magneto ... because nobody cares Storm as leader

fantastic "progression"
    Wait, are we talking about the comics or the movies ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    To me my favorite Era was basically 85-91, just before the EXTREME Era of Comics and Badgirls in nothing.
    Same here. They kick the **** out of anything coming out now with an "X" (or a "W") in the title.