Page 16 of 666 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116516 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Telepathy is not a real superpower. It's only one when writers want it to be one. Otherwise the opposition suddenly has implants, masks, helmets, natural resistance, sheer willpower or a ton of other things that makes them immune against it. Considering all the ways that have been introduced to make telepathy completely useless and again some of them only require you to put on a helmet or mask makes me not take it very seriously. And everyone who is still getting wrecked by it must to be an idiot on top of that.
    Hey man, check your privilege. Not all supervillains were born in Ivory Towers and can afford these wonderful toys. Some of them aren't that bright either but that also isn't their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Telepathy is not a real superpower. It's only one when writers want it to be one.
    I don't think you'll get anyone to disagree with that. I think the problem was the writers making it so overpowered, and then giving that power to practically every mutant with mental abilities. It needed strict limitations and didn't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio Garra View Post
    - All X-characters (X-23) created after 2000 are expendable and unnecessary.
    I'll agree with that except for the X-23 part. I don't like her, but she's pretty popular and sells quite a few books. If Marvel would bring the real Wolvie back, and start calling her by her real codename again, I'd get off her case.

Paul Smith is to this day the best artist the X-Men have ever had.

Agreed about Telepathy. When a writer needs it to work it works. No defense against it. The villain either forgot to use their devices that protect against it. Or it's both obvious or put in a obvious place. That it's easily destroyed or removed imo. When the writer needs a villain or hero to get away. Suddenly it's in the most secret of places and no one bothers to check. It also seems to be every character with psychic abilities not only has it. Is really good at using it. Unless of course a favored character of the writer needs to get away. Playing tabletop rpgs and superhero rpgs being a favorite. It's like BLOODwerK says it's a power that needs strict limitations and is never given any.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    JRJR was a workhorse back in the day(I hate his modern stuff, super sloppy), but I don't think any of his ladies were particularly "sexy". His style doesn't really allow for that.
    His style doesn't allow for that...and back in the day the X-Men were persons, their gender was of no importance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    I always wish Magma would have been a woman of color as she originally was depicted before the brown face washed off.
    This would have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio Garra View Post
    - Storm is the best leader the X-Men ever had as she earned the job.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    Paul Smith is to this day the best artist the X-Men have ever had.
    Considering what an amazing job of portrayal and storytelling he did in so little time...yes, he is .

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I think the reason telepathy is a nice powerset is it accomplishes easy visual storytelling

It basically is a way around way too much dialogue in the middle of tense situations

It allows for character subtle interactions and so forth

It helps with team bonding , sense of family and belonging

I actually greatly dislike how in AvX all the Avengers seemingly were immune to TP, it makes 0 sense and is just more Marvel saying F U to mutants
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

I don't know how controversial these are, but here we go:

Films
    1. X-Men: First Class is the best X-men movie to date.
    Still haven't seen Apocalypse yet.

2. X-Men: Days of Future Past was...okay.
    Good, but kinda forgettable. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as other people did.

3. I'd love to see an X-men movie from Marvel, or literally anyone else.

4. Jackman's a fine Wolverine, but I'd like for a shorter, stockier actor to take over the role.

Comics
    1. I really liked Whedon's run.
    I get that it wasn't perfect. His characterizations didn't offer depth, some of the cast was 'off', and his stories weren't the most original. But somehow it was fun, and good entry point for casual fans. Plus, he made me a Cyclops and a Scemma fan (which were pretty hard sells at the time).

2. Despite Marvel's protracted, concurrent, and often botched campaign to villainize him, Cyclops is still the best leader the X-men have ever had.

3. Cyclops should stay 'dead' and should not lead the X-men for a long while.
    He got too big. He was eclipsing books he wasn't even on, and Marvel didn't quite know what to do with him. If they're only going to keep dumping on him, he might as well be gone until they can think of something good to do with him.

4. I despise Rogneto.
    I just. Don't. Get it.

5. I have no issues with humanity's fear and hatred of mutants but not other super powered beings.
    Other super beings are 'one-offs', often have better PR, and don't pose the same unique and existential 'threat' to humanity the way the mutant race does. That, and I don't have a huge expectation of logic or consistency from bigots.

Telepathy should probably just be mind-reading.

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10" type of thing. Just gleaning someone's thoughts and possibly memories.
    Many telepaths in the X-franchise venture into manipulating someone's mind, however.

That seems more like..mind-taking.

(Bwwooeeoop!)
    Last edited by Striderblack01; 07-01-2016 at 12:12 AM.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    I don't know how controversial these are, but here we go :

3. Cyclops should stay 'dead' and should not lead the X-men for a long while.
    He got too big. He was eclipsing books he wasn't even on, and Marvel didn't quite know what to do with him. If they're only going to keep dumping on him, he might as well be gone until they can think of something good to do with him.
    Cyclops is still eclipsing books he isn't even on, everyone's getting compared to Cyclops, blaming Cyclops for something or acting because of what Cyclops did. He's certainly more influential than Xavier at this point

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Cyclops is still eclipsing books he isn't even on, everyone's getting compared to Cyclops, blaming Cyclops for something or acting because of what Cyclops did. He's certainly more influential than Xavier at this point
    Being a mass murderer isn't something to be proud of. The reason people are blaming him is because he killed a bunch of people. Who is getting compared to him? How is he more influential than Xavier when Xavier is still the motivation for everything?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post
    Being a mass murderer isn't something to be proud of. The reason people are blaming him is because he killed a bunch of people. Who is getting compared to him? How is he more influential than Xavier when Xavier is still the motivation for everything?
    I don't see anyone mentioning Xavier, the dream died like a long time ago, if you still feel that the dream is alive wait for death of X and end of X. There's no factual evidence that Cyclops is a mass murderer except for those characters that tend to overexagerate things, as far as we can tell he could have endorsed Donald Trump and everyone's saying he's the worst because they'd rather blame their problem on someone else than take some responsibility for them

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

That is an interesting point about how TP could be one-way only and doesnt have to always include both "reading" and "writing"

I guess its just a terrifying ability though which is why Claremont liked utilizing it so much

SOrt of like Mesmero and Mastermind's powers, very scary and devastating as we saw in both Dark Phoenix and Old Man Logan
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    I don't see anyone mentioning Xavier, the dream died like a long time ago, if you still feel that the dream is alive wait for death of X and end of X. There's no factual evidence that Cyclops is a mass murderer except for those characters that tend to overexagerate things, as far as we can tell he could have endorsed Donald Trump and everyone's saying he's the worst because they'd rather blame their problem on someone else than take some responsibility for them
    Holding someone accountable for what they actually do isn't blaming them. It's accountability, you know the one thing Scott always felt he was either too good for or to depressed to deal with. They have done nothing but take responsibility for his mistakes and theirs. I wish he could do the same, but he's dead.

Storm did, a few times so did Scott all of Bendis's run. His whole depression and PTSD were just a cry for his surrogate father.
    Last edited by Arya; 07-01-2016 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arya View Post
    Holding someone accountable for what they actually do isn't blaming them. It's accountability, you know the one thing Scott always felt he was either too good for or to depressed to deal with. They have done nothing but take responsibility for his mistakes and theirs. I wish he could do the same, but he's dead.

Storm did, a few times so did Scott all of Bendis's run. His whole depression and PTSD were just a cry for his surrogate father.
    Wolverine's side spent the whole time between after AvX and before Secret Wars blaming Cyclops for everything bad that happened.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I think the death of Cypher in The New Mutants was a good arc. Even though I always loved Doug and it was terrible for me :'( !