Page 24 of 664 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124524 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    You can't retire or kill off legacy. There's a reason the classics remain the classics. Putting a new face under a classic mask is not creativity. It's lazy at best and theft at worst.
    I'm not sure you got the point I was trying to make. It had nothing to (directly) with legacy characters. It's about allowing Cyclops and Maddie to retire like Claremont originally wanted. It's about letting Franklin Richards GROW UP and not be stuck as a child for 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian_Soul View Post
    Since this a controversial opinions I guess it's time to go full b*tch mode.

1) Emma Frost is a stereotypical rich b*itch/ highschool Alpha b*tch who gets the ability to snark and a sympathetic backstory for people to love them. It's sad and patience but not as much as the fans eating the sh*t up like bread and butter

2) Everything done with the X-Men after Grant Morrison (besides Whedon) is a cluster f*ck at best or a thirteen years old girls fanfiction at worst

3) People who say Jean Grey is boring/Mary Sue/One Dimensional either ignore the depth writers created or aren't interested in the character and should stop bashing her (goes for everyone character that is)

4) Wolverine is redundant unless he's a wise character considering his personality was built around that

5) Scemma is fanfiction

6) Scott is basically a character created in a RPG that men put themselves into making the writers the player

7) Sensible fans could come up with better stories and writing quality then what is given nowadays

8) Wolverine became a Mary Sue

9) The X-Men are better with characters like Charles Xavier and Jean Grey around to give them hope and optimism

10) The o5 was a cop out for writers who are afraid to use existing characters cause they know we'll see they can't write complex and interesting characters without derailing them

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone.
    agree on everything. ok maybe not the last. I think the O5 is a way to get teen characters but the ones that actually mattered th emost back. It's a cop out for sure

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I'm not sure you got the point I was trying to make. It had nothing to (directly) with legacy characters. It's about allowing Cyclops and Maddie to retire like Claremont originally wanted. It's about letting Franklin Richards GROW UP and not be stuck as a child for 50 years.
    Isn't it Canon that the Scarlet Witch and Franklin Richards are the reason why nothing changes? The reality warpers work together to keep the status quo. I would really like to see an alternate reality where the events of the original X-Men happened in the late 60s to the early 80s, X-Men giant sized team took place from the early 80s to the mid-90s and the New Mutants started in the late 80s till now where Sunspot and Cannonball are 45 years old. The group that contains Hellion and dust and rock slide would be the millennials. I think I would read that miniseries... even at that though I feel like Legion or some other reality warper with just bring the X-Men back as they remember them. Seems inevitable in the comic book medium when you have people of that power level in Heroes who they grew up watching . Hell even Kang has the legion of the unliving. I remember the beyonder retcon in which he went out Beyond the asteroid belt and remade 1985 Marvel. Those reality warpers are Nostalgia given form. Time Travelers can do the same type of shenanigans as well. But if we had a book that was somehow spaced to real time I would certainly give it a read or pick up the trade
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Incredible Member Victorian_Soul's Avatar

I'm back I got more things to say.

1) X-Men TAS is only remembered fondly because it brought people into comics or due to the series "following the comics page by page"

2) X-Men Evolution captured the spirit of the characters

3) X-Men Evolution was the best cartoon of all time

4) Wolverine and The X-Men should of been a solo like it was originally created to be

5) X-Men Legends 3 will be made when were all dead

6) The X-Men movies aren't good

7) First Class is the closest one to feeling like an X-Men ensemble team

8) Dofp is overrated and only remembered fondly because what it did for the X-Men on second viewing it's boring

9) X-Men would be better with the MCU

10) Storm and Jean are secretly lesbian lovers

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian_Soul View Post
    1) Emma Frost is a stereotypical rich b*itch/ highschool Alpha b*tch who gets the ability to snark and a sympathetic backstory for people to love them. It's sad and patience but not as much as the fans eating the sh*t up like bread and butter

2) Everything done with the X-Men after Grant Morrison (besides Whedon) is a cluster f*ck at best or a thirteen years old girls fanfiction at worst

3) People who say Jean Grey is boring/Mary Sue/One Dimensional either ignore the depth writers created or aren't interested in the character and should stop bashing her (goes for everyone character that is)

4) Wolverine is redundant unless he's a wise character considering his personality was built around that

5) Scemma is fanfiction

6) Scott is basically a character created in a RPG that men put themselves into making the writers the player

7) Sensible fans could come up with better stories and writing quality then what is given nowadays

8) Wolverine became a Mary Sue

9) The X-Men are better with characters like Charles Xavier and Jean Grey around to give them hope and optimism

10) The o5 was a cop out for writers who are afraid to use existing characters cause they know we'll see they can't write complex and interesting characters without derailing them
    1) Agreed. I understand why some readers find her interesting and entertaining, but I've never understood why anyone would find her sympathetic. I never have, even when I liked her in Generation X. She's not a good person. She's a bad person who wants good people to accept her.

2) An overstatement. There have been good stories, and there have been bad stories. But, I do think Morrison's run marked the point where Marvel editorial began deliberately and blatantly ignoring consistency. In terms of story continuity and, more importantly, in terms of characterization. And, of course, there's the relentless, never-ending deconstruction.

3) Agreed.

4) Disagree.

5) Agreed. It was a decade-long Ashley Madison ad.

6) Beginning with Whedon's run, agreed.

7) Some of them, yes. The problem is breaking into the industry is difficult, the pay (at least starting out) is not good, and writing work-for-hire means conforming to whatever editorial and the marketing/sales people tell you to do. TL;DR: the problem goes higher than the writers.

8) Not sure about that. Overused and overexposed, certainly.

9) Agreed.

10) Originally, the O5 were a device for meta-commentary. Bendis intended them as an in-story way to hold up a mirror to the contemporary X-Men and force them to face how far they'd fallen. I also suspect they were intended as a turn-key mechanism to reboot the franchise when sent back to their own time, but for whatever reason Marvel changed its mind about following through. Now, Marvel editorial and the current writers view the O5 as cleaner, baggage-free alternate versions to play with i.e. do-overs.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The sliding timescale is one of the biggest problems with both Big Two publishers. Characters should be allowed to grow, move on, retire, and die without coming back, with the younger generations taking over permanently. That gives characters with extended lifespans (IE Wolverine) more significance as the world changes around them, and encourages more creativity from writers rather than allowing them to focus everything on the same core cast locked at a particular stage of their lives.
    I generally agree.

Bluntly, there are only so many stories you can tell about a character in the same continuity. At some point, they either need to be succeeded by a new character or continuity needs to be rebooted.

For example, I've long felt the way to move forward with the Spider-Man franchise would be to undo One More Day, reveal that Peter & MJ's kid is alive, have Peter retire from superheroics to be with his family, and have Miles Morales take over with Peter as a mentor/supporting character.

Regarding the X-Men, what I'd like to see is a setup where the older X-Men have retired from the field and become mentors and managers. Meanwhile, Sam, Dani, Kitty, and Rogue lead X-Men teams. Scott and Storm stay on in the background as trainers and "generals". Jean serves as a counselor and teacher to the new generation coming of age, including Scott and Jean's kids*, Warren & Betsy's kids, and so on.

*Apropos of nothing, I've always wanted to see a bit where Scott and Jean finally have a Rachel native to 616, and the older Rachel from DoFP gets to babysit, and later mentor, her younger self.

Logan and DoFP are very overrated movies.
    The O5 and OML don't belong here and should go back to their own time or all be killed off. Nostalgia is ruining the current X-books.

BANNED

Kitty Pryde is not a leader, she's annoying and dull.

X23 is NOT wolverine and should have her own name, OML outsells her every month and will never be accepted as Wolverine so bring him back.

Generation X team were more interesting then New mutants.

Onslaught is one of the best crossovers of all time.

Teen Jean is a rude, nasty character.

Marrow is more interesting than half the current Xmen

The early 2000s ruined the Xmen

Jubilee needs to be restored to living homo sapiens.

BANNED

The writing and art has been completely $*!t for a good decade. People are just clinging to hope that "it'll get better soon" and it really isn't it just keeps going down hill.

Marvel is a toxic commodity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    The writing and art has been completely $*!t for a good decade. People are just clinging to hope that "it'll get better soon" and it really isn't it just keeps going down hill.

Marvel is a toxic commodity.
    this.

Gone are the days of Lee, Kubert, Mad, Pacheco, Bachalo and Larrocca, They're reserved for MCU, Star wars or DC now.

BANNED

The majority of time displaced/alternate reality/doppelgänger characters are tacky and useless. They should be treated as lesser characters.

It is known.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 07-28-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Incredible Member

Unpopular opinions I hold.

X-men The End was a very good sendoff for the X-men universe.

Uncanny X-men: the Draco is a really enjoyable story and Azazels design and backstory are well done in it.

I liked Maggott and would like to see a competent writer bring him back.

Same with Neal Sharra (Thunderbird 3).

Joss Whedons X-men run is wholly disposable. Outside of the first arc being a story told in X-men comics plenty of times (not quite on that scale though) the second arc is overindulgent with the A.I. concept, gives Professor Xavier a robot slave with big lips and cables resembling dreadlocks. The third arc is look how wacky and crazed everyone's being for six issues and oh, Cyclops ability is under control because of "clarity". The fourth is gibberish about an alien prophecy and ends with a giant bullet being fired at earth from assumedly hundreds if not thousands of lightyears away (giant beartrap to set up around the earth wasn't an option?) It arrives on Earth within moments, no one like Reed Richards or Dr.Strange have a chance to stop it and Kitty Pryde phases a giant bullet through a planet (premium power upgrade, I remember when phasing a handful of people put a strain on her.)

Kieron Gillen used the Breakworld concept far better than Whedon.

I enjoyed Howard Mackies X-Factor run and Mutant X (though I have gaps in both runs).

Cyclops Tron outfit designed by Bachalo is one of his best outfits (even if the visor design is impractical for vision).

Colossus death was the best X-men death I can think of and it shouldn't have been reversed (this one may not be that controversial).

Closure, where characters with no plans are written out of the books. No more wallpaper or forgotten people. A mutant witness protection program (where it's acknowledged they left the team), go to Nova Roma/the Savage Land/ to escape, whatever. Graduates leave the school or actively participate, not hang around.