Page 243 of 668 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253293343 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,645 of 10014
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    IvX. Emma played and manipulated Storm into a war with the Inhumans. I dont want to debate the stupidity of that event but in canon, Storm took that hard, so much tht she stepped down from being leader. She did blame Emma and she felt Emma played her for a fool and she beat herself up for trusting Emma, looking stupid and the countless unnecesary lives that were killed as a result of this. Storm not trusting Emma now in Maraurders makes perfect sense given that fairly recent interaction when they were allied. In the Xmen Black issue, Emma manipulated the X-men again which resulted in her seizing power of the HFC. Storm declined being Emma's Red Queen bc she did not want to put herself in a position to be Emma's pawn again. How many times can she let her guard down around Emma, only to have Emma have ulterior motives and play her? Storm has strong animosity bc she is fed up with Emma's bullsh-t. She has valid reasons not to trust her
    Exactly. It's like the rat with the electrified cheese experiment: every time Ororo opens her arms, Emma stabs her in the gut.

Hell, if mutants aren't expected to like humans anymore on the whole for the wrongs they've committed, why should mutants be expected to do it with other mutants who have done similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Exactly. It's like the rat with the electrified cheese experiment: every time Ororo opens her arms, Emma stabs her in the gut.

Hell, if mutants aren't expected to like humans anymore on the whole for the wrongs they've committed, why should mutants be expected to do it with other mutants who have done similar?
    IA. Storm's reaction to Emma in Maraurders #1 was one of the most genuine written in DoX thus far. Most people in real life that have the history that they do would react the same way. Its baffling how some people cant see that

No, I don't enjoy living those pasts; I enjoy seeing the actual transitions between 'traumatised' and 'recovered' and all the nitty-gritty that it takes to get there. The suspicion, the tensions; that makes for great interaction and makes it feel all the more earned when hatchets can finally be buried!

It really isn't good enough for a writer to come in and say "Ok, pretend all that past stuff never happened!" I need to see the characters on-panel reasoning, I need to see characters prove themselves in that respect.

And that doesn't mean having issue upon issue of them arguing; it just means that their interactions have to reflect within what the plot currently demands them to do. It enriches the story.

For example: Gambit can't forgive Apocalypse in Excalibur--that's fine. Gambit still feels affected by what happened to him and Apocalypse has done nothing to atone for it in his eyes--that's where he's at right now. Will it change? Maybe; that's part of the journey.

Had Gambit just reached out to be best friends with Apocalypse? Lazy.
    I see why a writer doesn't want to include 'old history' because he takes the risk to 'burden' the story and complicate the plot.

Still, he takes the risk to confuse his readership, who has memory, which is not desirable.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

For all intents and purposes...These characters have already dealt with and moved passed those traumas. A long while now.
    Just because they're not explicitly written on the page, in the manner which satisfies you and others, does not mean the "recoveries" of which you speak did not happen.
    As these things go...as with everything comic book related...you the reader should employ heavy doses of Suspension of Disbelief.
    Not EVERY thing needs to be spelt out alphabetically and mathematically.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    For all intents and purposes...These characters have already dealt with and moved passed those traumas. A long while now.
    Just because they're not explicitly written on the page, in the manner which satisfies you and others, does not mean the "recoveries" of which you speak did not happen.
    As these things go...as with everything comic book related...you the reader should employ heavy doses of Suspension of Disbelief.
    Not really; the trauma itself, perhaps, but not the fall-out between the characters concerned. Ororo might have gotten over being possessed or the events that Emma's betrayal caused, but does that recovery truly give her cause to trust Emma? To trust that she'll never screw her over again in some form if it suits her? Has Emma truly proven herself to Ororo?

You seem very lenient to contrived writing. The 'spelling out' you speak of isn't that; it's seeing characters truly, truly interact. Seeing the plot evolve through them and from their experiences with each other. Not just get along because the plot demands.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    IvX and X-men Black were not that long ago relatively speaking and they form the foundation for why Storm wouldnt trust Emma. Not everything needs to be spelled out but when it is, you have to accept it as canon. What was spelled out is that Storm does not want anything to do with Emma which makes sense given their recent history. Storm clearly has not moved past this which again makes sense bc Emma has a pattern of betraying her and the X-men in recent continuity. IvX, X-men Black, Secret Empire, Mothervine, Uncanny X-men....there is alot to unpack there and one doesnt need to go back decades to justify Storm's current contempt with Emma
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-08-2020 at 12:47 PM.

BANNED

IA. Storm's reaction to Emma in Maraurders #1 was one of the most genuine written in DoX thus far. Most people in real life that have the history that they do would react the same way. Its baffling how some people cant see that
    That's literally the only glimmer of Storm I can actually take as genuine! That was her, Ororo Munroe! As deep-feeling as she is stand-offish. In that one little panel I felt all of that complexity! (And I say this as someone who's left Marauders!)

Everywhere else she's just this mouth-piece...like Hickman's trying to write a priestess but...not Ororo as a priestess.

Mighty Member

Maybe if Emma actually said the words "I'm sorry" or offered some sort of genuine apology to Storm and Jean that would go a long way to healing the animosity between them. But its doubtful she would ever do that, and her fans wouldn't want her to. Its not something their "mama" would ever do, its beneath her. Its up to others to get past their negative feelings towards Emma.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Maybe if Emma actually said the words "I'm sorry" or offered some sort of genuine apology to Storm and Jean that would go a long way to healing the animosity between them. But its doubtful she would ever do that, and her fans wouldn't want her to. Its not something their "mama" would ever do, its beneath her. Its up to others to get past their negative feelings towards Emma.
    Two both very good points; it wouldn't be out of character for Emma never to apologise though, but that doesn't mean she can't compromise her morals a bit, if only for the sake of looking like she's making an effort to make amends with Ororo.

Considering all she's put Storm through, though, nah; she's within her right to not want anything to do with her. Let Emma make the first move.

IvX and X-men Black were not that long ago relatively speaking and they form the foundation for why Storm wouldnt trust Emma. Not everything needs to be spelled out but when it is, you have to accept it as canon. What was spelled out is that Storm does not want anything to do with Emma which makes sense given their recent history. Storm clearly has not moved past this which again makes sense bc Emma has a pattern of betraying her and the X-men in recent continuity. IvX, X-men Black, Secret Empire, Mothervine, Uncanny X-men....there is alot to unpack there and one doesnt need to go back decades to justify Storm's current contempt with Emma
    Ororo still works for Emma, is not like she is unreasonable about it. She just got cold feet after so many betrayals.
    This was very genuine not wanting to be Red queen or being close to her

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Not really; the trauma itself, perhaps, but not the fall-out between the characters concerned. Ororo might have gotten over being possessed or the events that Emma's betrayal caused, but does that recovery truly give her cause to trust Emma? To trust that she'll never screw her over again in some form if it suits her? Has Emma truly proven herself to Ororo?

You seem very lenient to contrived writing. The 'spelling out' you speak of isn't that; it's seeing characters truly, truly interact. Seeing the plot evolve through them and from their experiences with each other. Not just get along because the plot demands.
    Truly contrived writing is IvX the same event recently used as a supporting example. So...it appears I am not the only one.

What you and others seem to be interested in reading is a 600 page novel.
    This is a comic book with limited pages and a limiting publication schedule...even at a bi-monthly rate. As any good writer worth his salt will do, elements of the plot that don't significantly serve the story and characters, going forward are usually left out so as to tell the clearest most direct story possible.
    As with that panel in M 01....Storm obviously harbours certain feelings because of Emma. That is understood. Does it necessarily require three to six pages of dialogue between her and Emma hashing out "why" (because it will take that many pages and perhaps more to fully satisfy you lot)...no it doesn't.
    The same way it took a two page snippy exchange between Jean and Emma in XM 03 to aptly show where they are with each other....and still that wasn't enough for some.

There's "mileage" and then there's wanting and expecting writers to write your personal head-canon....and THAT's never good writing.

Anywho...it's tea time. And I have a new Krakoan blend (ginger and lemon grass) to try...care for a spot?
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-08-2020 at 01:11 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Why are you assuming people can’t see it? We just accept that those things get pushed to the side when there are bigger fish to fry or, at least, aren’t non-starters. I love the interpersonal drama, but I don’t think the same issues need to be harped on in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    That too. I never felt she was really sorry for it as sh enever make up for Ororo and Jean.

Meanwhile Rogue made up for what she did with Carol.

The closest I got from a situation like that was when I co-worker told me her ex-husband cheated her with a women. Then they wen to to her home talked to her, coworker forgave then even if she felt super humiliated. But she didn't became friends with them, she wants none to do with them. Recently the ex-husband was then cheated by the woman. pure karma

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    Why are you assuming people can’t see it? We just accept that those things get pushed to the side when there are bigger fish to fry or, at least, aren’t non-starters. I love the interpersonal drama, but I don’t think the same issues need to be harped on in perpetuity.
    Im not assuming anything. Posters in here have flat out stated they dont see why Storm would resent Emma today.

BANNED

Alright, here's a new one:

I wish Benjamin Percy would have been the architect for this new X-era. Or, alternatively, I wish he would have been the main writer with Hickman as the background architect. Clearly all the writers are responding well to the concept, however, Percy has a much, much better execution.

Like, right now, he's in charge of what surely should be the most anti-human title in the X-Line and yet, he's handling it with so much nuance!! The antagonists are clear and malicious, but there's so much grey-area he offers in who works for who, what's going on and everything! Not every human is a foaming-at-the-mouth bigot, there's implied (not shown, because it's a data page, not part of the story) allyship still between mutant and human, he's gotten everyone's voices down pat! There's distinctness between them, his pacing of events is perfect too! Not too much lag, just the right amount of exposition, action that doesn't come at the sacrifice of spirit or real character moments! Attitudes are varied, world building happens alongside the characters!