Page 245 of 668 FirstFirst ... 145195235241242243244245246247248249255295345 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,675 of 10014

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I grew up on golf courses and going to public parks. I've seen sick trees and trees with tumors and fungal growths. That what Krakoa makes me think of. Something rotted and diseases. It could just be choice of color pallets.
    In ancient times, people were afraid of going to the forest: a dark place where beasts and thieves can hide, probably…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    and rushed.
    Some of these characters haven't seen each other for more than a decade and everything went of panel, no reunions, no talks, not anything, everybody acted like nothing.
    For example Cyclops and Xavier's relationship was on a very complicated place and Cyclops possessed by the Phoenix accidentally killed Xavier. They shouldn't be enemies but they should talk and reconcile. Instead everything was handwaved.
    And that happened with many other characters.
    Exactly!! Like, suddenly...everything's just back to square one? After all the turmoil Scott felt for Xavier, how complicated it was between them...Scott's just back to being his yes-man? That's why people were saying he sounded brainwashed. Because of exactly what you've pointed out: where's the questioning he was likely to do at the time? Where's the turning around and saying "Ok, but why am I trusting you here?" from, actually, both of these dudes. It's the kind of thing that you just can't do off-panel and you certainly can't do a year or so down the line; the damage is done. It's just gonna look like back-tracking rather than an actual, organic and natural progression. That's why I've been saying; if we are to expect these things to be dealt with later then that needs to be shown or hinted on panel at the beginning. And Scott's voicing about how he has 'questions' to Xavier really, really doesn't count because of how easily he seemed to be dismissed. Hell, Xavier basically just gas-lighted him; "Oh, yes, you always have questions, but you're going to need to put them aside." And Scott's just...ok with that? With not even getting a chance to voice what those questions are? Is he frightened to push too much or something? Who the hell knows!

And don't even get me started on Jean!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Edit: The bad-faith argument that character development/changes must necessarily happen off-panel because...reasons is only slightly amusing.
    If I read books and character development happen off page, I really lost my time. We read story to get characters reacting and learning things, if I don't see that the story isn't complete

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    If I read books and character development happen off page, I really lost my time. We read story to get characters reacting and learning things, if I don't see that the story isn't complete
    Right? Like, if you don't want to see characters reacting and experiencing things, then what's actually the point?

BANNED

Ok, here's something:

Mutant culture is never going to be completely divorced from human culture.

Just based on the sheer diversity of mutants, and how they were raised and such within those situations, there's always going to be a connection to their human roots.

Food might be made up of Krakoan plants, but they'll be cooked similarly to, say, a Cajun or Nigerian manner--even blended perhaps. Mannerisms will never be totally divorced from their human counterparts; there'll always be fond memories, a little tradition that'll sneak its way in to daily life, even if it's just because it made the mutant in question feel good as a kid.

And even then, we can't say that Mutant culture will be monolithic. Who's to say those from America don't keep chilling with others from there, while those from Nigeria don't group up in a similar fashion? There might be terms such as American-Krakoan or Nigerian-Krakoan, Irish-Krakoan even.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Ok, here's something:

Mutant culture is never going to be completely divorced from human culture.

Just based on the sheer diversity of mutants, and how they were raised and such within those situations, there's always going to be a connection to their human roots.

Food might be made up of Krakoan plants, but they'll be cooked similarly to, say, a Cajun or Nigerian manner--even blended perhaps. Mannerisms will never be totally divorced from their human counterparts; there'll always be fond memories, a little tradition that'll sneak its way in to daily life, even if it's just because it made the mutant in question feel good as a kid.

And even then, we can't say that Mutant culture will be monolithic. Who's to say those from America don't keep chilling with others from there, while those from Nigeria don't group up in a similar fashion? There might be terms such as American-Krakoan or Nigerian-Krakoan, Irish-Krakoan even.
    What is Mutant culture anyway? Something edicted by the authorities and considered as mutant? Anything that cannot be related to 'human culture' and made by mutants? Anything made by a mutant?
    Just to think how much the people care for their religion, their sport, their football team… Their favourite TV show… To me Krakoa feels very provincial… nice and boring like life in countryside. The perfect place to rest and lick the wounds though. It is like this place made by the Chinese where all the most famous monuments in the world have been reproduced but in a smaller size. It is supposed to suffice to those who want to travel but cannot. The next best thing. Krakoa is supposed to suffice to mutants, to be "all the world".
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    What is Mutant culture anyway? Something edicted by the authorities and considered as mutant? Anything that cannot be related to 'human culture' and made by mutants? Anything made by a mutant?
    Just to think how much the people care for their religion, their sport, their football team… Their favourite TV show… To me Krakoa feels very provincial… nice and boring like life in countryside. The perfect place to rest and lick the wounds though. It is like this place made by the Chinese where all the most famous monuments in the world have been reproduced but in a smaller size. It is supposed to suffice to those who want to travel but cannot. The next best thing. Krakoa is supposed to suffice to mutants, to be "all the world".
    That feels really small and limiting though? Like, it might be a 'new' place...but it's still only one place...and if things outside those gates don't get any friendlier then, well...is that it?

BANNED

Also, yeah, those are really good points! What dictates that distinction?

That feels really small and limiting though? Like, it might be a 'new' place...but it's still only one place...and if things outside those gates don't get any friendlier then, well...is that it?
    It would be surprising if mutants don't feel any homesickness and don't try to reproduce what they cannot have outside without being totally satisfied by the substitute.

BANNED

It would be surprising if mutants don't feel any homesickness and don't try to reproduce what they cannot have outside without being totally satisfied by the substitute
    That'd be an interesting plot-point to be honest! I bet Paige Guthrie might, I mean, c'mon; nothing's better than your mother's home-cooking right?

That'd be an interesting plot-point to be honest! I bet Paige Guthrie might, I mean, c'mon; nothing's better than your mother's home-cooking right?
    It's true.

Also, yeah, those are really good points! What dictates that distinction?
    I'm hoping this was what was referenced in HoX/PoX when they mentioned language being necessary for a true society.

Some schools of anthropology dictate 4 categories to a 'culture': 1) Language (and the ontology that the language defines); 2) material and artistic culture (physical artifacts, Krakoan tech and bio-tools would be applicable as well as future literature and other arts using the Krakoan language); 3) laws and customs; 4) religion and mythology (anthropogony, anthropology, cosmogony, cosmology, and echatology - things that Apocalypse's background and history is probably going to provide... at least one aspect of).

If they create distinct aspects in those four categories, they could be considered a different culture. If not, they are a subset of the human cultures they came from.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    I'm hoping this was what was referenced in HoX/PoX when they mentioned language being necessary for a true society.

Some schools of anthropology dictate 4 categories to a 'culture': 1) Language (and the ontology that the language defines); 2) material and artistic culture (physical artifacts, Krakoan tech and bio-tools would be applicable as well as future literature and other arts using the Krakoan language); 3) laws and customs; 4) religion and mythology (anthropogony, anthropology, cosmogony, cosmology, and echatology - things that Apocalypse's background and history is probably going to provide... at least one aspect of).

If they create distinct aspects in those four categories, they could be considered a different culture. If not, they are a subset of the human cultures they came from.
    But even then the human cultures they came from will never completely be bred out from them; actions carry, much like stories over the ages. There'll always be a connection.

Telepathy is mutant culture.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Telepathy is mutant culture.
    Yeah it's part of it, that's true. Be careful of blatant telekinetic erasure though.