Page 246 of 669 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256296346 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,690 of 10029

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    But even then the human cultures they came from will never completely be bred out from them; actions carry, much like stories over the ages. There'll always be a connection.
    Completely being discrete doesn't define what is a "culture." Cultures are aggregative and not taxonomical that way.

For example Anglo-Saxon culture is distinct from the Saxon, Angle, and Jute cultures that came before. It is distinct and worthy of study on its own, but is different enough to be a separate area of study.

Same with the way Haitian culture is distinct but still a descendent of the Dahomean culture that came before and has elements of French culture.

I could see a number of academic approaches that would fill dissertations and journals arguing back-and-forth as to how much "human" culture is still present in "mutant" culture 100 years in the in-story future.

Entire tenures and careers would be built on the vagueness and disagreements over those sorts of points... just like people who still argue over how much Indo-European culture influenced the natives in India and created the Vedic culture.
    Last edited by Astroman; 01-09-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Edited to add quote

I have a hard time imagining a mutant organization without the presence of telepathy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Completely being discrete doesn't define what is a "culture." Cultures are aggregative and not taxonomical that way.

For example Anglo-Saxon culture is distinct from the Saxon, Angle, and Jute culture that came before. It is distinct and worthy of study on its own, but is different enough to be a separate area of study.

Same with the way Haitian culture is distinct but still a descendent of the Dahomean culture that came before.

I could see a number of academic approaches that would fill dissertations and journals arguing back-and-forth as to how much "human" culture is still present in "mutant" culture 100 years in the in-story future.

Entire tenures and careers would be built on the vagueness and disagreements over those sorts of points... just like people who still argue over how much Indo-European culture influenced the natives in India and created the Vedic culture.
    Yeah, I'm not denying that. You're right. I'm just saying; it's never going to be completely divorced from the human cultures it came from. The connection won't be severed as such.

Yeah, I'm not denying that. You're right. I'm just saying; it's never going to be completely divorced from the human cultures it came from. The connection won't be severed as such.
    Anyone who thinks cultures become completely divorced from what came before is completely misguided. That doesn't mean that there can't be a Mutant culture that develops in the same way that American culture developed out of the pre-existing European and other immigrant cultures that helped inform it.
    Last edited by Astroman; 01-09-2020 at 02:59 PM.

BANNED

Anyone who thinks cultures become completely divorced from what came before is completely misguided. That doesn't mean that there can't be a Mutant culture that develops in the same way that American culture developed out of the pre-existing European cultures that helped inform it.
    So it is kind of misguided for Magneto to think that he can truly 'cast of his humanity', in a sense?

So it is kind of misguided for Magneto to think that he can truly 'cast of his humanity', in a sense?
    Now we're entering the realm of individuated philosophy and metaphysics.

Can a Gnostic truly free themselves from the prison of matter? Can a Hindu truly clear their karma by working completely in harmony with their dharma?

Also, the thing in-story, that makes things slightly different is the approach that mutants are a separate species. If that is true then their limitations are very different than what human cultural limitations would be.

If the writers and editors want them to, I guess they could. Reality went out the window with the concept of mutants ever since the very first concept of the "atom" causing us to evolve in the early sci-fi stuff that informed the X-Men.

I'm hoping this was what was referenced in HoX/PoX when they mentioned language being necessary for a true society.

Some schools of anthropology dictate 4 categories to a 'culture': 1) Language (and the ontology that the language defines); 2) material and artistic culture (physical artifacts, Krakoan tech and bio-tools would be applicable as well as future literature and other arts using the Krakoan language); 3) laws and customs; 4) religion and mythology (anthropogony, anthropology, cosmogony, cosmology, and echatology - things that Apocalypse's background and history is probably going to provide... at least one aspect of).

If they create distinct aspects in those four categories, they could be considered a different culture. If not, they are a subset of the human cultures they came from.
    It seems to me that you need time, a lot of time to create a culture separated to another: it cannot be dictated. After Croatia's independence, the authorities decide people should use "new words", ones that could be considered as specifically Croatian and give up on words that could be considered as Serbian.

Well, old words are still used while little by little, the language is changing through travels and school.

Krakoa's insularity (and isolation) is encouraging a separated culture though…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Now we're entering the realm of individuated philosophy and metaphysics.

Can a Gnostic truly free themselves from the prison of matter? Can a Hindu truly clear their karma by working completely in harmony with their dharma?
    Well, I mean, based of what you've told me in terms of culture...no. Magneto probably can't cast off his humanity; he's still a Jewish boy, born in Poland who suffered at the hand of the Nazis for what he was...he carries that pain with him, it informs him. He even had a human child, Anya...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    It seems to me that you need time, a lot of time to create a culture separated to another: it cannot be dictated. After Croatia's independence, the authorities decide people should use "new words", ones that could be considered as specifically Croatian and give up on words that could be considered as Serbian.

Well, old words are still used while little by little, the language is changing through travels and school.

Krakoa's insularity (and isolation) is encouraging a separated culture though…
    That's kinda disheartening. It's probably gonna pose a bit of a 'culture shock' too for any mutants born 'outside' Krakoa who decide to come have a look around when they're old enough.

BANNED

He even had a human child, Anya...
    We don’t know that. She was killed by humans before her powers would have manifested.

Well, I mean, based of what you've told me in terms of culture...no. Magneto probably can't cast off his humanity; he's still a Jewish boy, born in Poland who suffered at the hand of the Nazis for what he was...he carries that pain with him, it informs him. He even had a human child, Anya...
    These are academic models, applied to societal groups, that doesn't necessarily apply to individuals. One map doesn't necessarily help navigate the different territory.

For personal, individual growth, much of it has to do with perspectivism and how that translates into action. In the same way in my Gnostic example a human, by virtue of being alive as a physical body, will never truly 'transcend' the prison of matter. But, if their psychology and the actions that derive from that psychology effectively attain the goal of internal liberation, then yeah... they kinda have.

And if mutants truly ARE a separate species then perhaps there would be mutant philosophical or even religious schools that would treat the pre-mutant power "Human" years (and their families, etc.) as a type of chrysalis that they develop from until all mutants are just mutants that are born of mutant parents.

Cool stuff to contemplate, no?

That's kinda disheartening. It's probably gonna pose a bit of a 'culture shock' too for any mutants born 'outside' Krakoa who decide to come have a look around when they're old enough.
    It is the same kind of shock for migrants who leave their country when they're young and keep in their memory the frozen picture of their homeland and when they come back…
    Separation has an irreversible quality.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    We don’t know that. She was killed by humans before her powers would have manifested.
    He surely had 'human' lovers and didn't speak to them much about 'mutant superiority'…

I think a fascinating philosophical school would be one in which Mutants treated Humans as "proto-Mutants" - not lesser in a superiority sense but more as "not finished." Guiding humans to try and breed Mutants would be one obvious goal of this school but also having humans adopt certain types of thought or religion to "prepare" them for their future becoming.

It could be simultaneously hopeful, creepy as hell, and very, very weird.