Page 259 of 664 FirstFirst ... 159209249255256257258259260261262263269309359 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,885 of 9959
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Aaron does nothing but butcher everything they get their hands on.
    My main Problem with his writing is that he gets overboard with stuff he wants to make a Point out of. It happened during all of his runs. Cyclops during his X-Men run for example.

But I must say after seeing the new "costume" of She-Hulk i laughed, because during his Thor run he had a certain Shield Agent make snide comments against Angela for wearing an "inappropriate" costume even as Angela saved her live.
    Comparing the costumes Angelas Outfits are harmless (even the first one at Marvel). Makes Aaron look more than a Little hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    The only way Emma Frost could be more white privilege incarnate is if she was named Karen. I know mean girls are popular, but I'll never understand her huge fanbase. When it comes to being a voice for an oppressed minority, there aren't many worse choices for your viewpoint character than the rich, straight white woman with powers she can hide.
    Why single out one character for this offense when most of the well-known X-characters are white (or passing), cis-het and have powers with no apparent disadvantages? Not really a lack of well-off characters either, including quite a few men even!

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Why single out one character for this offense when most of the well-known X-characters are white (or passing), cis-het and have powers with no apparent disadvantages? Not really a lack of well-off characters either, including quite a few men even!
    Oh definitely. But the only other character approaching her level of white-privilege BINGO is Charles Xavier. Rich, good looking, passing privileges, cis-het, white, straight.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Oh definitely. But the only other character approaching her level of white-privilege BINGO is Charles Xavier. Rich, good looking, passing privileges, cis-het, white, straight.
    i alo criticized Scott. When he and Emma were leading, it was super pivilege

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Even if Emma is rich, incredibly smart, and cool AF, she is still a woman. It's part of why she does get singled out andso much. If she was a guy, she'd be running the show.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I'm already seeing the same characters overlap in books and stories and it's taking me out of the Mutant Dawn fantasy.

Spectacular Member

Mutants aren't a minority metaphor, they are human condition metaphor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    They began as a metaphor for the minority experience, but yeah, now they're closer to that sweet metaphor on the human condition...maybe...at this point, they're also a lesson in extremism and if it is ever justified or practical.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    They began as a metaphor for the minority experience, but yeah, now they're closer to that sweet metaphor on the human condition...maybe...at this point, they're also a lesson in extremism and if it is ever justified or practical.
    I wouldn't say that what Lee/Kirby really conceptualize them after. Atomic age's repercussions for humanity was more like it.
    But overall, exploration of tribalism did play a huge role in Xmen becoming who they are. It really is a long and interesting discussion, the way I see it.

How could they be a metaphor about human condition with the immortality thing? That removes them of any existential angst. (Well, if Magneto has stayed in Susan's bubble forever, he would have ended to feel a bit angsty… surely)
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

This 5678910
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't say that what Lee/Kirby really conceptualize them after. Atomic age's repercussions for humanity was more like it.
    But overall, exploration of tribalism did play a huge role in Xmen becoming who they are. It really is a long and interesting discussion, the way I see it.
    Yeah, when talking about this stuff, you really do have to treat Lee and Kirby's original creation almost as a different thing entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    How could they be a metaphor about human condition with the immortality thing? That removes them of any existential angst. (Well, if Magneto has stayed in Susan's bubble forever, he would have ended to feel a bit angsty… surely)
    What we will likely see coming up are the costs of this "immortality" and why it isn't a good, sustainable thing.

BANNED

yeah cause death was ever that interesting or imporant in comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    yeah cause death was ever that interesting or imporant in comics
    It is when you don't know they're just going to be resurrected in a couple months to years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    It is when you don't know they're just going to be resurrected in a couple months to years.
    And in the X-Men’s case, unless you’re obscure, you’re always coming back so where was the tension? When was the last time there was a death in X-Men that came off as permanent to you?