Page 272 of 668 FirstFirst ... 172222262268269270271272273274275276282322372 ... LastLast
Results 4,066 to 4,080 of 10013

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    what would you change in particular ? im honestly curious because i agree but i want to see more of him
    I’d make his nationalist and xenophobic personality a defense mechanism to rally mob support because he knows no one would like him if they really knew him and his secrets. Kinda like the japanese Aaron Schock.

Mighty Member

what would you change in particular ? im honestly curious because i agree but i want to see more of him
    First and biggest change is stop making almost all of his outfits be The Rising Sun Flag in Costume form (Really, the war crime version of Japanese Flag shouldn't be encouraged.) It's a big problem with A lot of Comic created Japanese characters. So many of them wear the Japanese flag (both the bad and not bad one) and it's fucking ridiculous. It's like almost every Japanese superhero in comics is Captain America.

Secondly, tone down the xenophobia

third, reframe his powers. Being a Japanese man, who's mother was a victim of Hiroshima and whose powers is specifically Nuclear Fire is like having a Polish Jewish character whose powers are poison gas related.

Just i dunno, frame it as Solar powered fire or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    First and biggest change is stop making almost all of his outfits be The Rising Sun Flag in Costume form (Really, the war crime version of Japanese Flag shouldn't be encouraged.) It's a big problem with A lot of Comic created Japanese characters. So many of them wear the Japanese flag (both the bad and not bad one) and it's fucking ridiculous. It's like almost every Japanese superhero in comics is Captain America.
    Sunfire's best look was his AoA reinvention. It was a badass look that they tried to bring to 616, but... not sure what happened.

I think full-body fire guys tend to get lumped in with and under the Human Torch, so you end up needing the vaguely menacing black elements and mask. I'm a fan of the mask myself, but it's fairly easy to replace the red sun with a circled X. Just gotta figure out a armor block pattern that doesn't resemble Magneto's.

Secondly, tone down the xenophobia
    He's similar in many ways to Northstar and Quicksilver. All three are standoffish elitists that contrast the close-knitted "family" of the X-Men. I like that about him --but I agree, the racist overtones are useless.

third, reframe his powers. Being a Japanese man, who's mother was a victim of Hiroshima and whose powers is specifically Nuclear Fire is like having a Polish Jewish character whose powers are poison gas related.

Just i dunno, frame it as Solar powered fire or something.
    Should be fairly easy. His name's Sun Fire, after all.

Fantastic Member SchismOfMadroces's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Sunfire's best look was his AoA reinvention. It was a badass look that they tried to bring to 616, but... not sure what happened.

I'm torn about this design, because I've loved it since I read Astonishing X-Men #1 waaaaaaaay back in the day, but it definitely falls into the trap of giving foreign / minority characters a set of powers or features that obscure their ethnicity.

I'm actually OK with his xenophobia, because it differentiates him from a lot of other X character. Especially in the current run, where everyone is super Krakoan nationalistic, having a mutant be dedicated to their original home country is an interesting thing.

The Rising Sun flag look just makes me laugh, because I've read sooooooooooooooooooooo many manga where the American characters always have an American flag on them at all times. A hat, a scarf, a bikini top, you name it.

Astonishing Member

Sunfire is an incredibly racist caricature, and in all of Marvel's time, they've never really attempted to rectify that.
    Sunfire made sense as a way of American writers trying to cope with their own actions against Japan during World War II. You know, the thought process of "We did something really awful, it would make sense that someone would hate us for it". However, it didn't make much sense as an actual Japanese hero. I mean, during the same decade, Japan's own Tsuburaya Productions created Ultraman which featured an international, multicultural organization devoted to protecting the Earth. Japan was busy thinking about moving on to a new future.

I say you can keep the patriotism and the arrogance but focus it less on "I hate Foreigners" and more on him wanting to be his home country's top hero. Beyond that, I don't know.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I'm actually OK with his xenophobia, because it differentiates him from a lot of other X character. Especially in the current run, where everyone is super Krakoan nationalistic, having a mutant be dedicated to their original home country is an interesting thing.

The Rising Sun flag look just makes me laugh, because I've read sooooooooooooooooooooo many manga where the American characters always have an American flag on them at all times. A hat, a scarf, a bikini top, you name it.
    Those are people, and that's generally something you actually can expect from Americans. Very few american heroes in manga are star spangled.

And they're not star spangled in the Confederate Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post

how people gonna know that they are japanese if they don't use the rising sun flag?

yeah it is really bad that every japanese the designers have to put the sun flag

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

They toned down Sunfire's xenophobia to below Namor levels ages ago. The rising sun motif can stay since even the Japanese use it. Only silly yankees on the internet and the South Koreans give them grief about it.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    They toned down Sunfire's xenophobia to below Namor levels ages ago. The rising sun motif can stay since even the Japanese use it. Only silly yankees on the internet and the South Koreans give them grief about it.
    kevin wada did a red and white redesign that was more kabuki mask, I really tought it was neat

BANNED

Mighty Member

This is a lot better.

I'm getting distracted by his visible nipples.

Recent activity on the Gambit Appreciation Thread has me thinking about the thing that annoys me most about the Gambit Character.

The Thieves and Assassins Guilds suck.

I don't want to get into the implied and confirmed texts that describe Remy LeBeau as a genetic composite of Essex, Summers, and unknown genetic material, because all that is incredibly unnecessary to an otherwise compelling character concept. While Xavier's represents a family of integrationists, the Acolytes a family of terrorists, the Morlocks a family of isolationists, the Hellfires a family of capitalists, the mutant community of New Orleans could be something new and different in opposition to the NYC-centric focus that weighs down the X-Books. An organized origin for adult, highly skilled mutants that aren't used as weapons, refugees, or livestock is terribly interesting, especially given the history and power of NOLA. Granted, I haven't collected Gambit's solo series, so I'd love for more dedicated posters to fill in the blanks.

I hate "assassins", point blank. They're boring, especially when you have ninjas, terrorists, serial killers and the American military output to consider. An entire guild dedicated to murder seems a bit heavy, when there's a surplus of professional killers. A guild of thieves, though, is incredibly ripe for exploration in the Marvel Universe. He could be a But the nature of their mutations leaves a lot to be desired. Are they a generational family of mutants? That suggests eugenics and breeding programs, which are squicky, despite effectiveness. I wish there were MORE Thieves for the X-Men to encounter and overcome.

They do suck and Ive always hated stories which center around them which tends to be most of Gambit's solo material.