Page 281 of 668 FirstFirst ... 181231271277278279280281282283284285291331381 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 10014
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Cyclops and Rogue should have both gotten control over their powers.

Writers should stop writing Rogue and Gambit with accents since they clearly don't know how to.
    Yes totally agree it's ridiculous that every iteration they don't have a handle on them. While we're on Cyke I always thought it would be cool if his beams were not always one continuous beam but could be pulses of light like in star wars that he could send out in a series

I don't find Hickman's X-men sympathetic.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Cyclops controlling his powers would be as if Spider-man could fly, Banner controlling the Hulk, Ben Grimm transforming himself at will into The Thing. You'd be removing an iconic item without a good reason for it.

Cyclops should be more powerful. Like a LOT more powerful.

And before anyone says overpowered characters are boring. No, characters with overly convenient powers are boring. Looking at you, telepathy.

Amazing Member

As an X-men newbie (just started reading about a year ago in marvel unlimited) and having only read Joss Whedon, Grant Morrison’s run, all of Bendis’s, and some of those Grand Design and Magneto books/mini- almost scared to say this but here goes:

1: while I think it is awesome to have a major player in the X-men be gay while reading the coming out of ice man it felt like it came out of nowhere. My only other exposure to him was as a total playboy in ultimate spider man so even though I really wanted it to work it just felt really forced like “oh, by the way this major character is gay.” After reading online message boards of people following from the beginning it felt better but in the context of the story where Jean Gray reads his mind and forces him out while his current time line version is able to “make himself not gay” just didn’t land with me. I think they could have made it so much more powerful if they hadn’t just quick thrown it in our face without any hints along the way

2: I tried reading the legendary runs of Chris Claremont but as a modern comic reader who didn’t grow up with them they feel corny. A lot of dialogue and text boxes and they just feel a little silly. I plan to give them more of a shot as reading 2-3 issues doesn’t give the full picture but they are hard to get through. Kind of like Jack Kirby and Stan Lee’s stuff. I recognize how pivotally important it is and do value it as industry changing, but man those books are just hard to get through for me

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

And before anyone says overpowered characters are boring. No, characters with overly convenient powers are boring. Looking at you, telepathy.
    Totally agree on the telepathy. Sometimes I read Emma Frost and it is almost like why does anyone else exist because she can just turn everyone’s brain off or make them see what she wants them too. It is a little too convenient to have an Alpha love telepath in a team

Amazing Member

Also Emma Frost should not fight in the outfits she does. It would be a total distraction to be trying to land a punch with a neckline plunging to your waist. I mean who fights in stuff like this?!
    434E771F-1EF5-4B28-9B7D-E8D4BE42EC64.jpg
    Last edited by zsizzle; 04-18-2020 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zsizzle View Post
    Also Emma Frost should not fight in the outfits she does. It would be a total distraction to be trying to land a punch with a neckline plunging to your waist. I mean who fights in stuff like this?!
    434E771F-1EF5-4B28-9B7D-E8D4BE42EC64.jpg
    I generally agree with this, but Emma is the one character who pulls it off, imo. She doesn't fight, she has a long range power and even in diamond form is rarely seen brawling.

But Cyclops is already extremely powerful.

If he fought without a visor using his 100% power it would be extremely easy for him to kill a teammate in a distraction. Magneto has commented on occasions that when Scott gets serious, his shields can barely contain his optic beams.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Cyclops controlling his powers would be as if Spider-man could fly, Banner controlling the Hulk, Ben Grimm transforming himself at will into The Thing. You'd be removing an iconic item without a good reason for it.
    Spider-Man flying is giving him a power he never had before and which doesn't match the animal motif he has. Cyclops controlling his powers would be character progression for someone who has been stuck in the same rut since conception.

Rogue and Scott controlling their powers is not character progression because those are not actually parts of their character as people, they are disabilities that make them potentially dangerous to themselves and others, which means their lives are harder, which means they are more interesting to read about, more unique compared to other characters, and potentially more relatable to people with disabilities. It's like if Daredevil kept all his powers but could also see, and the reason given was "character progression."
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Rogue and Scott controlling their powers is not character progression because those are not actually parts of their character as people, they are disabilities that make them potentially dangerous to themselves and others, which means their lives are harder, which means they are more interesting to read about, more unique compared to other characters, and potentially more relatable to people with disabilities. It's like if Daredevil kept all his powers but could also see, and the reason given was "character progression."
    Their powers are a part of their character. It has informed and even defined their personalities and histories for decades. You yourself even said it makes them "relatable" (we'll tackle that later) so it is a part of their character.

If making your life harder makes you more interesting to read about, X-Men fans would not be treating Hickman's new status quo like a godsend.

Daredevil is a better depiction of a disabled person since he actually has a handicap that real people have unlike Rogue and Scott. Hell, Xavier was a better example of disabled representation and they gave him the ability to walk.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-18-2020 at 09:58 AM.

BANNED

If he was any more powerful he would be like Lille Barro from Bleach. Whatever he locks his eyes on should be immediately pierced, no matter how many layers of protection it has. You could make that into an emergency/last resource move, but it should have proportional drawbacks, for the sake of balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If making your life harder makes you more interesting to read about, X-Men fans would not be treating Hickman's writing like a godsend.
    When Hickman makes the X-Men's lives hard, it'll be because of alien stuff, international politics, genetically engineered species, government secrets, mystical gods, or the assload of (new!) villains, and not PURPLE ROBOTS SHOOT LASER, MAGNETO MAKE CAR GO WHOOSH, ESSEX DO THE BAD SCIENCE, PURPLE ROBOT FROM FUTURE SHOOT BIGGER LASER, KENTUCKY FRIED PHOENIX, SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED IN ANOTHER BOOK IS GONNA WIPE OUT YOUR SPECIES UWU, THE MOST POWER MUTANT EVA IS HERE!!!" on a perpetual loop.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by zsizzle View Post
    As an X-men newbie (just started reading about a year ago in marvel unlimited) and having only read Joss Whedon, Grant Morrison’s run, all of Bendis’s, and some of those Grand Design and Magneto books/mini- almost scared to say this but here goes:

1: while I think it is awesome to have a major player in the X-men be gay while reading the coming out of ice man it felt like it came out of nowhere. My only other exposure to him was as a total playboy in ultimate spider man so even though I really wanted it to work it just felt really forced like “oh, by the way this major character is gay.” After reading online message boards of people following from the beginning it felt better but in the context of the story where Jean Gray reads his mind and forces him out while his current time line version is able to “make himself not gay” just didn’t land with me. I think they could have made it so much more powerful if they hadn’t just quick thrown it in our face without any hints along the way

2: I tried reading the legendary runs of Chris Claremont but as a modern comic reader who didn’t grow up with them they feel corny. A lot of dialogue and text boxes and they just feel a little silly. I plan to give them more of a shot as reading 2-3 issues doesn’t give the full picture but they are hard to get through. Kind of like Jack Kirby and Stan Lee’s stuff. I recognize how pivotally important it is and do value it as industry changing, but man those books are just hard to get through for me

yeah the iceman outing was so tasteless. they could've done a killer story about sexual fluidity, repression, etc....what makes it okay to me is the amount of visibility its lead to in the franchise. It was a big step that could've been taken better but at least it was taken I guess.

In regards to Claremont's run, I implore you to give it another go. Admittedly I haven't read his entire run either but I can tell you with confidence that part of the joy is his tendency to play the long game and to watch how his stories unfold piece by piece over hundreds of issues. You'll get used to his verbosity along the way - very different from how comics are written now and even how they were written then but imo his style was a crucial piece in developing the characters and plot elements into who and what we read about now