Page 286 of 668 FirstFirst ... 186236276282283284285286287288289290296336386 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,290 of 10014

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Yes. In the 80s, Claremont wrote Dani and Rahne’s relationship with the same romantic subtext that he used for Destiny and Mystique. Rahne struggling with her her strict religious upbringing and learning to accept her wolf form as a gift and not a curse was a metaphor for her coming to terms with her homosexuality.
    If Claremont wrote Dani and Rahne's relationship with a romantic subtext, then you could also say that he wrote Xavier and Magneto with a romantic subtext, wrote Kitty Pryde and Illyanna with a romantic subtext…
    Maybe Claremont is just a romantic man that sees everything in a romantic way.
    Or if you're not a romantic reader, you just see a intense but non-romantic relationship.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    what are you talking about?
    In general did we ever get a reasion why the people made of metal were sent to fight the guy that controls metal ? I want a in cannon explanation for that and why they never made a macguffin that cancels magneto power over them.
    If this is confusion or makes no sence, quarantine isolation has driven me sain or insane one of the two

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    In general did we ever get a reasion why the people made of metal were sent to fight the guy that controls metal ? I want a in cannon explanation for that and why they never made a macguffin that cancels magneto power over them.
    If this is confusion or makes no sence, quarantine isolation has driven me sain or insane one of the two
    How is that any different than sending out any X-men vs a telekinetic? Its the same thing except Magneto's powers work exclusively on metal and a TK's works on anything. Piotr and Logan are soldiers and part of the team. If Magneto were to get distracted with them, that leaves an opening for the rest to attack him. Excludign them at times would have crippled the team, such as in UXM 150. It literally would have been just Storm and Nightcrawler on that mission which would have been more foolish of Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I get what you mean. Its not unlike, say "Hey, Pyro, we need you to take on Hydro Man!"

Wha??

It seems foolish to assign combatants who are specifically and uniquely vulnerable to the opponent's skill set.
    I would have personally LOVED to see Xavier or Scott or SOMEONE, at SOME point, instruct either of those metal dudes to hang back and put someone else in their place.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    It’s not just Laura I would regress in years, it’s almost everyone...

New Mutants should be college age. The eldest, Karma, at most should be 25. Jubilee’s peers should be “high school seniors”. NXM & Academy X should be 15-16. Aaron & Bendis kids should be in middle school. I want younger mutants experiencing their mutations at the onset of puberty, not the onset of adulthood. I realize this means romance plots are nixed in favor of clique switches, but I’m fine with it. Friends are more important than lovers.

This makes the Guthries easier to list out:

NM: Cannonball
    GX: Husk
    AX: Icarus
    JGS: Aero
    CotA: ?
    Did you miss all the times Husk was shagging Archangel or Monet shagging Sabretooth? The Gen X class has been out of school for awhile.

The youngest and original member, Jubilee, is a nineteen year old mom now.

Cannonball is married with a child.

The Academy kids are the “senior high school” class right now. And even there, most of the older ones like Laura, Prodigy have graduated past high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Did you miss all the times Husk was shagging Archangel or Monet shagging Sabretooth? The Gen X class has been out of school for awhile.

The youngest and original member, Jubilee, is a nineteen year old mom now.

Cannonball is married with a child.

The Academy kids are the “senior high school” class right now. And even there, most of the older ones like Laura, Prodigy have graduated past high school.
    Respectfully, I believe you've misunderstood.
    CRaymond was explaining how they would PREFER ages to be reflected.
    They were discussing how, given the opportunity, they would like the "youths" of the X-verse to be regressed to the listed categories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    CRaymond was explaining how they would PREFER ages to be reflected.
    They were discussing how, given the opportunity, they would like the "youths" of the X-verse to be regressed to the listed categories.
    You might as well merge all groups that live in the Sextant then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Going BACKWARDS is just going to make it worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The average age for all these characters is VERY similar
    Oh I don't really care about "fixing" the continuity in a way that makes sense with existing stories. I'd make a new continuity. I JUST got done saying I prefer Laura Kinney as a 10 year old, and for Prodigy to replace Synch in Generation X.

I wouldn't include hard enrollment rosters like Academy X and Jean Grey School, just providing a vague sense of class progression for the sake of conversation.

Even *IF* the "kids" we meet and engage with in print are older like 16-18, I think the X-Men need to come up with a school/refuge for children whose mutations appear much younger. A ten year old grows hair down there and burns down his parent's house in the shock and embarrassment. We need an X-Men squad designed to rescue those kids, fix the situation, and portal them to a safe-zone that allows them to learn their initial limitations. I humbly suggest RCX and the Braddock Academy, Warren Worthington, Artie, Leech, Whiz Kid and Widget. Then the kids with some semblance of control and community progress to Xavier Institute and learn combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Thanks man! I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    You might as well merge all groups that live in the Sextant then.
    Eh, don't they already kind of do that? I mean why don't older generations live there? (Because the Sextant is a slum for forgettable X-kids.)
    Last edited by CRaymond; 04-21-2020 at 07:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    If Claremont wrote Dani and Rahne's relationship with a romantic subtext, then you could also say that he wrote Xavier and Magneto with a romantic subtext, wrote Kitty Pryde and Illyanna with a romantic subtext…
    Maybe Claremont is just a romantic man that sees everything in a romantic way.
    Or if you're not a romantic reader, you just see a intense but non-romantic relationship.
    If the rumors are true and it’s in the live action New Mutants movie, I hope it happens in the comics.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Claremont's emotional/relationship "soap opera" drama is really not as interesting or entertaining as readers would like to believe it is.
    And half of the 'subtext' readers read into his work isn't really there...it's just their limited knowledge on the use and contextualisation of words/vocabulary.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 04-21-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Claremont's emotional/relationship "soap opera" drama is really not as interesting or entertaining as readers would like to believe it is.
    And half of the 'subtext' readers read into his work isn't really there...it's just their limited knowledge on the use and contextualisation of words/vocabulary.
    I agree. Certain swaths of the fandom assign gay "subtext" to any given character or relationship. Sometimes it's there (Iceman, Storm/Yukio, Mystique/Destiny most obviously before they spelled it out) but a lot of the time I don't see it. The New Mutants girls always just seemed like close female friends. I could buy Kitty as bisexual though.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I agree. Certain swaths of the fandom assign gay "subtext" to any given character or relationship. Sometimes it's there (Iceman, Storm/Yukio, Mystique/Destiny most obviously before they spelled it out) but a lot of the time I don't see it. The New Mutants girls always just seemed like close female friends. I could buy Kitty as bisexual though.
    To each their own, but it always appeared to me that Dani and Rahne displayed a higher level of vulnerability and intimacy with one another than with any of their other new mutants friends. They were literally referred to as soulmates back in those days.

Dani and Rahne were close bc of their powers. Dani's psi abilities gave her a psychic rapport with animals which extended to Rahne in her wolf form. I never got anything romantic from that either

I am aware that their friendship started because of the compatibility of their powers, but that doesn’t necessarily disprove that their relationship grew into something more later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I am aware that their friendship started because of the compatibility of their powers, but that doesn’t necessarily disprove that their relationship grew into something more later on.
    it didnt grow into something romantic which was my point