Page 291 of 668 FirstFirst ... 191241281287288289290291292293294295301341391 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,365 of 10013
    Fantastic Member SchismOfMadroces's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    So basically Amalgam's Beastling.

I miss Amalgam.
    I knew that Cruz cribbed Joe Mad's style, but this is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I found the voice acting awful. The animation hideous. The story-telling bad. Some adaptations were okies, but overall they were very meh.
    (I am fully aware that my reasons for hating it are the reasons why everybody...yourself excluded...loves it.)
    I just saw that X-Men: The Animated Series and Batman: The Animated Series debuted the same year. That's shocking to me, since Batman feels leaps and bounds ahead of what X-Men was doing in terms of all the qualities you mentioned.

I agree with you completely, I've never personally understood the appeal of X-Men: TAS.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I just saw that X-Men: The Animated Series and Batman: The Animated Series debuted the same year. That's shocking to me, since Batman feels leaps and bounds ahead of what X-Men was doing in terms of all the qualities you mentioned.

I agree with you completely, I've never personally understood the appeal of X-Men: TAS.
    BTAS was coming off of the heels of the live action Tim Burton film(s). It had a giant budget compared to what X-Men had. It is more sophisticated in terms of palette and animation, but XTAS has the heart of Claremont's X-Men, and that's why people love(d) it.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

That's shocking to me, since Batman feels leaps and bounds ahead of what X-Men was doing in terms of all the qualities you mentioned.
    DC's heroes and stories lend themselves to mythic episodes and procedurals. The rhythm allows for character work to shine. Then you have to acknowledge that DC was owned by WB, who had more history with animation, and understood how to redesign everything from the architecture to anatomy in order to cost-save and help tell the story.

Marvel's heroes have always had a soapier quality, and Claremont's work with the X-Men probably the soapiest. While the stories could have been broken into episodes, they weren't as easy, and Fox learned the hard way how to deal with animation studios. TAS is a darling, but it's clearly a firstborn. Consider the sophistication in stories and artwork that came with Evolution, some years later.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    BTAS was coming off of the heels of the live action Tim Burton film(s). It had a giant budget compared to what X-Men had. It is more sophisticated in terms of palette and animation, but XTAS has the heart of Claremont's X-Men, and that's why people love(d) it.
    Mr. Freeze episode alone has more heart than all of TAS combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Look, I love both series, but no. When Storm defied the Sentinels my heart shook. When she healed a whole planet from a throne, I transcended the mortal plane. The Mr. Freeze episode compares favorably with Beast's blind lover episode; but a minor trinket in TAS's treasure chest.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Is Avengers 1Mill BC even in continuity?

That feels like some weird What if thing. At best it seems like it'll later show up as a comic or TV show I character is checking out only to have them say how silly the whole thing is.
    Technically yes, but as soon as Aaron leaves the book it will be completely forgotten, if not outright retconned.

So basically Amalgam's Beastling.

I miss Amalgam.
    Why did this book have an amalgam of Starfire and Shatterstar when Starfire is neither a Doom Patrol nor X-Men character.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why did this book have an amalgam of Starfire and Shatterstar when Starfire is neither a Doom Patrol nor X-Men character.
    The Amalgams weren't so specifically confined. Any characters they wanted to combine were up for grabs and they could then sort them out into various teams that were themselves combinations of concepts. But like, for example, there still was Ororo and Diana. Ororo became Wonder Woman by being raised on Themyscra and winning the tournament but Diana still existed and hung out with a Punisher type. It wasn't so straight forward as you are implying. Overall the oneshots were mostly cute.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Agreed.
    TAS was overblown soap opera schlock, even more so than the actual comic book from which it was derived.
    And it most certainly hasn't aged well over the decades.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-01-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Spectacular Member Voices From the Eyrie's Avatar

I was at a convention once and Frank Paur was doing a panel. Frank was a storyboard artist on X-Men, then a director on Batman: TAS. A co-producer on Gargoyles. He was also the Supervising Director on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and you could hear a collective gasp holding from a few people in the audience when he said, and I quote: "The problem with X-Men was that the animation looked like crap."

Wiz Kid should've joined Generation X.

BANNED

Its appeal is that it is what casuals know about X-Men and it's expected to be the thing the MCU mimics.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Where was he when Artie and Leech joined?

Quote Originally Posted by Voices From the Eyrie View Post
    I was at a convention once and Frank Paur was doing a panel. Frank was a storyboard artist on X-Men, then a director on Batman: TAS. A co-producer on Gargoyles. He was also the Supervising Director on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and you could hear a collective gasp holding from a few people in the audience when he said, and I quote: "The problem with X-Men was that the animation looked like crap."
    it really is so weird having grown up in he aughts and watching X-Men and Batman TAS around the same time...both were just "old shows" in a very vague sense, I never would've thought to compare them or their respective animation styles back then as products of essentially the same era...but it really is a stark contrast loll. If anything that makes me love it even more

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Taki just might be the most robbed x-character introduced before the new millennium. He's definitely Top 5 at the least