Page 30 of 668 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130530 ... LastLast
    Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Emma is the very definition of what it means to be an X-Men
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Perfection/Emma 2 View Post
    She's a reformed villain, which has become a trope of the X-books, so I can get onboard with that

-Basilisk is better name for Scott than Cyclops. It sounds cooler and makes sense with his powerset.
    -Logan is not overrated. But it's unoriginal. Like really unoriginal.
    -Most of friendships and relationships Wolverine has outside of X-Men are forced. Especially with Spider-Man. There is no reason for Peter to treat Wolverine any better than he does Punisher.
    -Telepathy(and to some extent telekenisis too) has become the worst powerset in MU. It's the reason why everyone and their grandfather has TK resistance/bloker/devices etc.
    -I love sliding timescale. I will go further and say none of the Marvel characters should age anymore. It's working for James Bond, why shouldn't it work for comics?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    -Basilisk is better name for Scott than Cyclops. It sounds cooler and makes sense with his powerset.
    -Most of friendships and relationships Wolverine has outside of X-Men are forced. Especially with Spider-Man. There is no reason for Peter to treat Wolverine any better than he does Punisher.
    -Telepathy(and to some extent telekenisis too) has become the worst powerset in MU. It's the reason why everyone and their grandfather has TK resistance/bloker/devices etc.
    -I love sliding timescale. I will go further and say none of the Marvel characters should age anymore. It's working for James Bond, why shouldn't it work for comics?
    It works for James Bond because of lack of continuity between each film series. When the current actor ages out of the role, they replace him and reboot the franchise

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It works for James Bond because of lack of continuity between each film series. When the current actor ages out of the role, they replace him and reboot the franchise
    Not really. I'm no expert on James Bond, but as far as I know, all of them are sequels of previous movies, even when the actor is replaced. It's a very loose continuity, but it's still the same continuity. Except maybe Craig Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfection/Emma 2 View Post
    Most of the X-Men are damaged goods so I can agree with this. Sadly.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I like Kitty's speechs in TNM #45 and UXM #210. Now we are looking them up and down with adult conceit and jaundice --back then, though, I read these stories for the first time as a teenager (the target comic-books were destined for) and they left a (good) impression on me. Cheap trick? Maybe. Good reason? This, too.

BANNED

Marrow and Reyes are far more interesting than most X-men characters in books today.

Storm is so boring and dull and has been for over a decade now, she use to be great in the 90s and very cool.

Kitty is being pushed for some weird reason above all others and she's a jerk

Beast is a great character thats been ruined by Bendis and the Inhuman pushers.

All new X-men/Uncanny by bendis is one of the worst runs I've ever read, so boring and dull with nothing but talking and laying in snow like a teenage girls diary.

I want the X-men to stay with fox to spite Marvel/Ike for screwing over the X-men and FF in comics/games/media

Ultimate Member

I loved Storm when she was somewhat unsure of her place in this new world, fresh off of a stint of being a goddess who wandered around without a top. She criticized Wolverine for 'hunting' (before he explained that he wasn't killing anything, just practicing sneaking up on skittish animals to refine his sneaky skills). She flipped out when a bowl of soggy potato salad splorched into her face at a party at Colleen and Jean's apartment (during a classic mistaken identity super-fight between some X-Men and Iron Fist). She pleaded with Jean, whom she 'loved like a sister,' when Jean went all Dark Phoenix. She was frustrated, but resolved, attempting to pick locks with her teeth (with the reflexes of a child!) while Magneto held them captive in Antarctica. She would generate pea-soup fog, or attempt to dehydrate Magneto (whose force fields would protect him from her lightning), or make it super-cold to sap Sebastian Shaw's strength, because she was smart enough to realize that he'd just get stronger if she zapped him with lightning, and that a passive attack like this would be his weakness. I just loved her to bits, for all these reasons and more.

I fell out of love with her when she knifed Callisto, and the writing implied that she was good at that sort of thing because of her time as a thief in Cairo. Callisto actually *was* good at knife-fighting, because she'd done it before, to become the leader of the Morlocks, for example. Little waif Ororo, unless her history was very, very, VERY different than I remember, did not wander the streets of Cairo stabbing tourists and taking the wallets off of their bleeding corpses... She certainly did not spend the thousand hours knifing people that one would expect to reasonably master the 'knifing people' skill, to the degree of being better at it than Callisto. That, IMO, was the beginning of the end for the character.

I didn't recognize it at the time, 'cause it was a long time ago and I was young(er) and foolish(er), but I think that marked when Ororo stopped being a cool and complex character for me, and started turning into a collection of ever more over the top 'feats' and winning fights just because she was written to do so, and not because she'd done anything to *earn* that victory.

Not really. I'm no expert on James Bond, but as far as I know, all of them are sequels of previous movies, even when the actor is replaced. It's a very loose continuity, but it's still the same continuity. Except maybe Craig Bond.
    The various Bond series take place in different time periods and some of them have actually gotten endings. There are events and characters that occur in certain films that never appear or are mentioned again in others and if they were wouldn't work because of the aforementioned issues with time scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I loved Storm when she was somewhat unsure of her place in this new world, fresh off of a stint of being a goddess who wandered around without a top. She criticized Wolverine for 'hunting' (before he explained that he wasn't killing anything, just practicing sneaking up on skittish animals to refine his sneaky skills). She flipped out when a bowl of soggy potato salad splorched into her face at a party at Colleen and Jean's apartment (during a classic mistaken identity super-fight between some X-Men and Iron Fist). She pleaded with Jean, whom she 'loved like a sister,' when Jean went all Dark Phoenix. She was frustrated, but resolved, attempting to pick locks with her teeth (with the reflexes of a child!) while Magneto held them captive in Antarctica. She would generate pea-soup fog, or attempt to dehydrate Magneto (whose force fields would protect him from her lightning), or make it super-cold to sap Sebastian Shaw's strength, because she was smart enough to realize that he'd just get stronger if she zapped him with lightning, and that a passive attack like this would be his weakness. I just loved her to bits, for all these reasons and more.

I fell out of love with her when she knifed Callisto, and the writing implied that she was good at that sort of thing because of her time as a thief in Cairo. Callisto actually *was* good at knife-fighting, because she'd done it before, to become the leader of the Morlocks, for example. Little waif Ororo, unless her history was very, very, VERY different than I remember, did not wander the streets of Cairo stabbing tourists and taking the wallets off of their bleeding corpses... She certainly did not spend the thousand hours knifing people that one would expect to reasonably master the 'knifing people' skill, to the degree of being better at it than Callisto. That, IMO, was the beginning of the end for the character.

I didn't recognize it at the time, 'cause it was a long time ago and I was young(er) and foolish(er), but I think that marked when Ororo stopped being a cool and complex character for me, and started turning into a collection of ever more over the top 'feats' and winning fights just because she was written to do so, and not because she'd done anything to *earn* that victory.
    Considering she was a street kid, I don't think it was unreasonable she'd learned knife fighting to take care of herself. Remember she was almost raped as one point and killed her attacker in self defense. Just because she knew how to fight doesn't mean she went around stabbing people to get their wallets.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The various Bond series take place in different time periods and some of them have actually gotten endings. There are events and characters that occur in certain films that never appear or are mentioned again in others and if they were wouldn't work because of the aforementioned issues with time scale.
    It's pretty clearly established that the Connery, Lazenby, and Moore Bonds are all the same character (the fact Moore was about the same age as Connery helps avoid the Sliding Timescale). Bond's rampage at the beginning of Diamonds are Forever was in response to Tracy's death at the end of On Her Majesty's Secret Service, while Bond finally kills Blofeld while visiting Tracy's grave during the opening of For Your Eyes Only, and her being mentioned or alluded to in other Moore films (such as Anya giving Bond her dossier on him in The Spy Who Loved M, mentioning he'd been married but his wife was killed).

Where it gets more ambiguous is with Dalton and Brosnan. License to Kill alludes to Bond having been married before, and his friendship with Felix Leiter works best if you assume it's in continuity with Connery and Moore, but otherwise it stands on its own. Brosnan sets itself apart a bit more, though there's still some vague hints trying to connect it to the past films (especially the scene with all the past gadgets in Die Another Day).

Craig's Bond is unambiguously a continuity reboot, completely unconnected with the prior films beyond Judi Dench returning as M.

I think the issue is that there are too many telepathy. Its an incredibly powerful skill, but they need to balance out the fact that so many teams are have a telepath. Hell, that's like one of the requirements for an X-team.
    I'd like to see them explain that the telepaths are still really strong. Just that this technology or resistances only slow them down if they are trying to be subtle or nice. If (at least the powerful ones) really wanted in, they could do it with ease, just that it would make the person a vegetable or insane. And that it would be hard to put them back together or to find what your looking for after that point.

The difference between how Logan and Frank treat Spidey is that Logan actually respects him... even though some of the things he says on panel might make others see differently. Franks respects Spidey too in a way, but at the end of the day he's just another idiot in tights to him. To me, Logan and Pete have a Red and Eric Foreman type relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    The difference between how Logan and Frank treat Spidey is that Logan actually respects him... even though some of the things he says on panel might make others see differently. Franks respects Spidey too in a way, but at the end of the day he's just another idiot in tights to him. To me, Logan and Pete have a Red and Eric Foreman type relationship.
    Eh, respecting someone doesn't mean having a close friendship with them. 90% of Marvel treats Spider-Man with high respect(when they're not writing him as a bafoon).