Page 302 of 668 FirstFirst ... 202252292298299300301302303304305306312352402 ... LastLast
Results 4,516 to 4,530 of 10013
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    You do lose a lot of story potential that way, though. And any cross-over would have to be some sort of “multiversal threat” kind of deal. So I don’t see it as anything really gained.

Maybe if X-Men had been that way from the beginning, but it’d just be awkward at this point.

Better, I think, to just be a reasonable reader and understand that the Avengers don’t help the X-Men when some specific Sentinel attack happens because they’re busy, just like the X-Men don’t help the Avengers when Ultron is rampaging Slorenia.
    "a lot of story potential"
    Like what? popular x-men characters shoved into non x-men books to promote them? lore and concepts being butchered by every type of story? versus and team ups that just serve to both highlight the rest of marvel but make the x-men look terrible?
    Cause that's 99 % of interactions with the rest of marvel for over a decade, The x-men are both the prime punching bag and the cowcashes, the freaking mother theresas that must share with the rest of the marvel universe witout any sort of reward.
    X-men DON'T need the larger marvel universe, it's the other way around and its time to allow the line to grow unstiffled

BANNED

But we need the Cap and Cyclops flex-off!

How can we get the badly needed stories about the X-Men interacting with the Avengers if they are in two separate universes? How could Storm get a thor-hammer thingy then?

We would miss out on so much.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post

How can we get the badly needed stories about the X-Men interacting with the Avengers if they are in two separate universes? How could Storm get a thor-hammer thingy then?

omg think of the poor male characters writers wont be able to project their 80's crush on kitty pryde, think of the phoenix sexin up odin.
    the calamity of that loss is too harsh even thinkin of it

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I liked Storm's solo series a while back I think it tried to go into her backstories and give her some depth and exploration

I agree that in general she is used as "black woman tied to nature, shoots lightning blasts and intimidates foes while being warm yet stern to friends" something like that lol. Not a ton of evolution. Her punk rock days when she was in a pseudo fling with Yukio, now that's the stuff. I think anytime Yukio, Forge, or Callisto is brought up with Storm, it's to her benefit.

As for Mystique, A) She's not overused B) she's amazing C) Currently in Dawn of X she's kind of like... one of the most important characters to the entire plot? So... and she doesn't come off as "Wackadoo Evil Lady" at least not to me. Speaking of her issues there, Bunn tried getting that resolved when Betsy psychically rejiggered Raven's mind. But idk if any writers care he did that. IN any event, Raven in Dawn of X has Destiny as a focus which is keeping her more sympathetic for readers and more humane/complex (plus we get into the idea Moira might be the looming ominous shadow which Raven is going to kinda heroically go up against)

Wolverine absolutely no doubt whatsoever is overused and unlike Storm, yeah Logan does get to change, his issue is he changes WAY too much to the point he has no real definition anymore. The Wolverine I grew up with in the early mid 90s was a badass loner rebel antihero, his vicious violence fit in with that. Then we flash forward,he's the public face of mutantkind on Avengers what the actual? And then HE is the "Kind Saintly Pro Peace" faction leaders vs Cyclops in Schism LMFAO. And I can go on. It's just nuts
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 05-10-2020 at 02:54 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Wolverine absolutely no doubt whatsoever is overused and unlike Storm, yeah Logan does get to change, his issue is he changes WAY too much to the point he has no real definition anymore. The Wolverine I grew up with in the early mid 90s was a badass loner rebel antihero, his vicious violence fit in with that. Then we flash forward,he's the public face of mutantkind on Avengers what the actual? And then HE is the "Kind Saintly Pro Peace" faction leaders vs Cyclops in Schism LMFAO. And I can go on. It's just nuts
    I see more Logan as an anti-conformist, never where you expect him most.

So, he can think what he wants, doesn't care much about others think. A loner, yes, but not a caricature of it (he has been a part of the X-men during many years, after all…).

Hard to imagine he could be happy on the Merry Island, though…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

The problem with cross-overs is that they are motivated by money, not by a desire to utilize the characters in interesting or meaningful ways. Any time Wolverine gets shoved into a team-up or a mutant makes their way onto the Avengers roster its just a marketing ploy to convince x-men fans to buy more marvel books. As a result it always feels forced and awkward. The only example of a good cross-promotion I can think of is Hickman's inclusion of Roberto and Sam in his Avengers run, since he seemed to have a genuine passion for writing the two of them. If only we had more instances of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post

So, he can think what he wants, doesn't care much about others think. A loner, yes, but not a caricature of it (he has been a part of the X-men during many years, after all…).

I don't think Logan could ever be happy anyplace where he can't hide his harley down to the local bar to swap stories and get into fights with the local bikers and/or rednecks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    "a lot of story potential"
    Like what? popular x-men characters shoved into non x-men books to promote them? lore and concepts being butchered by every type of story? versus and team ups that just serve to both highlight the rest of marvel but make the x-men look terrible?
    Cause that's 99 % of interactions with the rest of marvel for over a decade, The x-men are both the prime punching bag and the cowcashes, the freaking mother theresas that must share with the rest of the marvel universe witout any sort of reward.
    X-men DON'T need the larger marvel universe, it's the other way around and its time to allow the line to grow unstiffled
    The X-men are in no way the prime punching bag for Marvel, they're a huge brand and the majority of the time teams like Avengers have other villains to fight because that's why they're super-heroes. To save the world. What did you think of Onslaught?

Every comic in Marvel is made to make money with that in mind, including the X-men. Your insistence of never giving the human characters any humanity is exhausting, as well as being wrong.

You thinking they don't need Marvel won't make it so, it's not your decision to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post

There's been some Krakoa-questioning in his solo But then again, on X-Force he seems more than happy to be part of the island's CIA .. The trademark incongruence strikes again lol

I agree with how you describe him though and that's kind of how I rationalize these "blips", I guess , where what he's doing doesn't make total sense . Hypocrisy is basically impossible to avoid w/ characters who have been around running the gamut as long as most of the A-List so I try not to get too bent about it if the stories are decent

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    The problem with cross-overs is that they are motivated by money, not by a desire to utilize the characters in interesting or meaningful ways. Any time Wolverine gets shoved into a team-up or a mutant makes their way onto the Avengers roster its just a marketing ploy to convince x-men fans to buy more marvel books. As a result it always feels forced and awkward. The only example of a good cross-promotion I can think of is Hickman's inclusion of Roberto and Sam in his Avengers run, since he seemed to have a genuine passion for writing the two of them. If only we had more instances of that.
    ugh I wish this wasn't so true. X-Men/FF could have been SO much more interesting, instead we get pages upon pages of pointless hero v. hero as filler until they decide to give us an inch of the "importance of omega mutants in the current era" storyline

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    this. all of this .

I'd argue something similar is true for Mystique...she isn't used all that often imo, certainly not as much as Wolverine or Storm. The problem is she's been used too often without consideration to her actual character. She's done so many vile and bizarre things, some OOC and some not, and no one ever seems deterred from adding to the pile. You end up with the incongruence of Wolverine but with a similar issue as Storm where she's used almost any time a Recognizable Evil Woman is required by the plot
    There's also an issue with Mystique is that, being so low-powered, makes absolutely no sense for her to get away with the evil non-sense like she does. Sure, Apocalypse or Sinister can because they're virtually unkillable, but freakin' Mystique?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    but freakin' Mystique?
    A lot of mutants should have SOME form of telepathic resistance. Maybe shapeshifters have slippery thoughts or something.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    A lot of mutants should have SOME form of telepathic resistance. Maybe shapeshifters have slippery thoughts or something.
    Bunn touched on that in his run

Mystique's powers are high tier and she's a rare Marvel case of power buffs making the character more interesting.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

why does no one ever build off of anything Bunn introduces and just ignores it now im upset !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post

If one just focus on the bad, I can understand them being so salty.