Page 32 of 664 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132532 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    So true. Never truly bought into the idea of a bunch of white mutants being persecuted for having powers. Who has it worst, Cyclops and Emma or Luke Cage and Sam Wilson.
    Their race is irrelevant when it comes to being persecuted for their powers. The in-universe bigots don't hate Colossus any less than Storm. It's just that if you're going to make the whole thing a metaphor for real world minority struggles, then you should actually include more than one or two of those minorities at a time. The mutant metaphor has always been tone deaf, especially with the older comics.

As for Luke and Sam having it worse than Cyclops and Emma simply because they're black Americans.....eh, that doesn't sound right at all. Scott and Emma have miserable, fucked up lives.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    So true. Never truly bought into the idea of a bunch of white mutants being persecuted for having powers. Who has it worst, Cyclops and Emma or Luke Cage and Sam Wilson.
    Cyclops' life is/was significantly worse than Luke Cage's. People really like Luke Cage around the way. I don't even think Cyclops likes Cyclops.

Edit: Also Death Machines.
    Last edited by Materiel; 08-03-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    I can agree with this. I'd also add there's alot of non-white characters (alot of characters period as a whole) that fell by the wayside in the X-books. When was the last time Charlotte Jones, Edmund Atkinson or G.W. Bridge featured in the books? Or the Anarchist? Have the Dawn of the White Light Japanese version of the Brotherhood or the Children of the Vault been used since their initial storylines? Or more recently, Goldballs and Triage.
    Goldballs is co staring in Spider-Man (the Miles Morales one).
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Cypher is one of the most interesting and best X-Men characters. On both a powers and characterization / personal development level.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    There are wayyyyy too many white mutants. Mutants are a global phenomenon, white mutants should make up 10%, 14% tops. 1/7 mutants should be from India. More than 1/7 mutants should be Chinese.
    Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    Agreed. What is Mexico City's mutant scene like, or Tokyo? Shanghai, New Delhi, or Johannesburg should be hot beds of mutant activity. I desperately want a street level slice of life/Lower Decks type comic.
    Exactly. When Emma or Cyke want mutant-only countries, it looses the actual social justice metaphors, and becomes more like a supremacist thing.
    Definitely all of this. One of the most appealing points of the second generation of X-Men for me was its ethnic and cultural diversity. Without it, the X-books lose lack of interest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xargukon View Post
    Cypher is one of the most interesting and best X-Men characters. On both a powers and characterization / personal development level.
    Maybe not one of the best, but I hugely love Doug. Despite being a white blond blue-eyed american het man ^ ^
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 08-04-2017 at 02:16 AM.

BANNED

Austen, Milligan, Kyle & Yost had some of the most grounded Xmen stories in the past couple of decades.

They might have been simple, but it kept the Xmen in the school and they weren't ALWAYS fighting some evil force/mutant in the world in a global crossover.

BANNED

Wolverines new suit is freaking stupid, the greys are so dull and ruined a fantastic design and was totally unnecessary.

I wouldn't be surprised if sales dip due to how crap it is, the yellow suit was perfect and hopefully returns as it's in the generations one shot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    Wolverines new suit is freaking stupid, the greys are so dull and ruined a fantastic design and was totally unnecessary.

I wouldn't be surprised if sales dip due to how crap it is, the yellow suit was perfect and hopefully returns as it's in the generations one shot.
    From the preview we saw, the Generations one shot is using the black and gray suit and jacket.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Goldballs is co staring in Spider-Man (the Miles Morales one).
    That is something.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian_Soul View Post
    I think that has to do wi the fact most of the white characters we see are iconic and made around the 60's-90's where alot of the popular and best stories were made with some of these characters at the forefront being written comples and interesting.
    Monet and Fantomex' status in the X-books has grown in recent years, so I'm not sure that's fully true. I do think there's already a number of iconic characters in regular circulation out of the initial two X-men teams that it makes a character matching that icon status all the more difficult

Exactly. When Emma or Cyke want mutant-only countries, it looses the actual social justice metaphors, and becomes more like a supremacist thing.
    Separatism versus integration has been at the heart of the series from the beginning. I see Utopia more as an extension of the school at a time where the characters are feeling very vulnerable. Despite that, there was an attempt by the characters to work with the local San Fran government and try to mainstream their existence.

Incredible Member

For more opinions I'm not sure of the controversy levels of:

X-men: First to Last is a buried gem from the Utopia era. Best X-men book from that period.

I liked when Claremont gave X23 the costume of the Shiar imperial guardsman that Wolverine wore at one point during their original appearance. Despite her typical basic black outfits fitting the character, would've liked it as a regular costume for her, as its not a regularly used costume.

Separatism versus integration has been at the heart of the series from the beginning. I see Utopia more as an extension of the school at a time where the characters are feeling very vulnerable. Despite that, there was an attempt by the characters to work with the local San Fran government and try to mainstream their existence.
    I agree that Utopia was a stand in for the school, and they did work with San Fran and took an active role there. As much as I like the school, it can be a little weird when 90% of the people there are adults.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Maybe not one of the best, but I hugely love Doug. Despite being a white blond blue-eyed american het man ^ ^
    He got good press in the last X-Factor run as a corporate sponsored superhero. Alot of the residents in universe probably like him despite being a filthy mutie.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    I agree that Utopia was a stand in for the school, and they did work with San Fran and took an active role there. As much as I like the school, it can be a little weird when 90% of the people there are adults.
    The age thing made me laugh more than it should have.
    As much as people have problems with Singers films, positioning the characters as teachers instead of 20 to 30 something students was an improvement. There's an old issue from when Joseph was on the team where an inspector for the board of education comes to review the school. Its a bunch of adults having melodrama so it doesn't go well despite Logan trying to smooth things over

The age thing made me laugh more than it should have.
    As much as people have problems with Singers films, positioning the characters as teachers instead of 20 to 30 something students was an improvement. There's an old issue from when Joseph was on the team where an inspector for the board of education comes to review the school. Its a bunch of adults having melodrama so it doesn't go well despite Logan trying to smooth things over
    Did anybody ever really see the X-Men as students anyway besides Xavier? Ok the original 5(and the New Mutants) sure, but once they grew into adults I think they stopped being students and just heroes shacking up in a mansion... like the Avengers. Cyclops even confronted Xavier about this long ago...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xargukon View Post
    Agreed. I hate when Lazy writers don't know what to do with a person who has passive abilities. They either turn them into McNinja's or kill them off.
    It's so lazy and shows they aren't as good at writing as they should be.