Page 338 of 668 FirstFirst ... 238288328334335336337338339340341342348388438 ... LastLast
Results 5,056 to 5,070 of 10014

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    As I understand it, he's got an obsession with the fact that Jean has psionic powers that ramp up exponentially without limit, if paired with the right power source (like the Phoenix Force), and Scott has a permanent portal to a dimension of unlimited infinite free energy (the 'punch' dimension). He wants a kid who has both of those things, a power that scales to unlimited degree with the right powersource *and* an unlimited powersource. All the power.
    He's a bit more obsessed with Scott than Jean though.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    He's a bit more obsessed with Scott than Jean though.
    Tis true. He's known Scott longer, it seems, having groomed him since childhood (and being more specifically the childhood boogeyman of Scott, from the orphanage, not Jean). And he seems perfectly willing to settle for a clone of Jean, with Madelyne, but has shown no real inclination for settling for a clone of Scott.

It could delve into all sorts of creepy territory, and, thankfully, has not, since that's not an association we really need.

As I understand it, he's got an obsession with the fact that Jean has psionic powers that ramp up exponentially without limit, if paired with the right power source (like the Phoenix Force), and Scott has a permanent portal to a dimension of unlimited infinite free energy (the 'punch' dimension). He wants a kid who has both of those things, a power that scales to unlimited degree with the right powersource *and* an unlimited powersource. All the power.
    The punch dimension isnt someting thats ever been mentioned in canon with Scott in the books and definitely not in relation with Sinister. Its definitely not a thing with any of the Jean/Scott offspring. Sinister was originally obsessed with the Summer/Grey genetics bc he needed a powerful mutant to defeat Apocaylpse and his research indicated that the combination of Jean and Scott would accomplish that. I think that motive was lost a long time ago and his obsession is purely personal now

Tis true. He's known Scott longer, it seems, having groomed him since childhood (and being more specifically the childhood boogeyman of Scott, from the orphanage, not Jean). And he seems perfectly willing to settle for a clone of Jean, with Madelyne, but has shown no real inclination for settling for a clone of Scott.

It could delve into all sorts of creepy territory, and, thankfully, has not, since that's not an association we really need.
    He's cloned Scott. We saw an imperfect clone in Extraordinary X-men. The reason why Madelyne existed is bc Jean died and she was backup plan to execute his plan to get a genetic offspring. It wouldnt have made sense to repeat this in the two times that Scott died bc that the baby was already born and its not really a scheme you can do more than once to the same couple
    Last edited by Havok83; 09-07-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Does Mad Scientist have to be something more than Mad Scientist? Last 10 years he has become entertainingly flamboyant mad scientist. World Conquerors gonna conquer, Mad Scientist gonna mad science. I am not sure what you are looking for exactly. Sinister shows up does mad science and be entertaining and then disappear what more are your really looking for him do?
    It's subjective, I know. When I think "mad scientist" I think of Dark Beast or maybe even Doctor Nemesis. The characterization of Sinister in the comics I've read just makes him seem insane for the sake of being insane. Sorta like Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor. I just can't get into characters like that.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    It's subjective, I know. When I think "mad scientist" I think of Dark Beast or maybe even Doctor Nemesis. The characterization of Sinister in the comics I've read just makes him seem insane for the sake of being insane. Sorta like Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor. I just can't get into characters like that.
    It seems like Sinister had a goal to make himself a powered body and live forever (and deal with anyone, like Apocalypse that threatens that 'live forever' goal), and now that he's accomplished that, he's turned into Dr. Frankenfurter, mostly farting around being decadent and enjoying the results of his success.

He's kinda gotten away with it and now gets to sit back and watch the reality TV that is everybody else's drama.

Astonishing Member

I don't know, maybe people need to reminded what a creeper Sinister has been with Scott since he was a teenager. He's responsible for destroying Scott's happiness both as a kid and an adult. He made Madelyn Pryor, for instance.

Well, I hope Cyclops didn't had a girlfriend in the orphanage, because almost everyone there was a Sinister clone... Just think about it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I don't know, maybe people need to reminded what a creeper Sinister has been with Scott since he was a teenager. He's responsible for destroying Scott's happiness both as a kid and an adult. He made Madelyn Pryor, for instance.
    I don't mind reminding people that he's a creep, but even hinting at sexualizing the abusive past, while the current Sinister is tending towards flamboyant camp, runs the risk of pointing an arrow between gay and pedo, which is not an association that's needed as it feeds into hateful stereotypes that are pretty much the gay equivalent of blood libel.

Astonishing Member

I don't mind reminding people that he's a creep, but even hinting at sexualizing the abusive past, while the current Sinister is tending towards flamboyant camp, runs the risk of pointing an arrow between gay and pedo, which is not an association that's needed as it feeds into hateful stereotypes that are pretty much the gay equivalent of blood libel.
    True, it's just frustrating that people see him as like saviour rather than the dangerous monster that he is. Gay or straight. Frankly, coding Sinister as gay by itself does this since it makes one of the highest profile Quiet Council leaders a dangerous psychopath, it's far worse than Mystique since she at least has depth and isn't an evil caricature.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    True, it's just frustrating that people see him as like saviour rather than the dangerous monster that he is. Gay or straight. Frankly, coding Sinister as gay by itself does this since it makes one of the highest profile Quiet Council leaders a dangerous psychopath, it's far worse than Mystique since she at least has depth and isn't an evil caricature.
    Literally nobody sees him as that. He's a useful monster to the X-Men in-universe and the narrative is signaling that the other shoe is going to drop with him.
    Fandom just finds him entertaining but still knows he's an awful person/villains, just one that can hold our attention for once.

Extraordinary Member

Let’s all just be thankful that Jack Winters got to Cyclops before Sinister recaptured him back to the orphanage.

Jack is the REAL hero here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I actually preferred Sinister when he was less flamboyant and more ... sinister. I've also never really cared for Sinister having tons of clones of himself.
    Agreed on both points! I once heard that Claremont's original idea of Mr. Sinister was supposed to be some mutant psychic kid's imaginary friend or something. I really like that idea so much more than the campy Sinister and his endless clones.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Blue text became too cumbersome.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Grant morrison’s run is by far the worst xmen run. His writing is pretentious and his characters are bland. I’ve tried my hardest to get into it but man... it just sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    Grant morrison’s run is by far the worst xmen run. His writing is pretentious and his characters are bland. I’ve tried my hardest to get into it but man... it just sucks.
    The X-men books still haven't recovered from how badly Grant screwed them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The X-men books still haven't recovered from how badly Grant screwed them up.
    IMO the books are much better now than before he took over. We are in a new golden age of X-men books and the last time thy were this enjoyable as a whole was arguably the mid 90s