Page 35 of 668 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135535 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Xavier was a Fraud and not a Mutant.
    Genosha was an Inside Job.
    Adamantium is a Myth created by Canadian Propaganda.
    Morlocks are really Aliens.
    Cyclops isn't dead he's vacationing with Logan, Mar-Vell, Elvis, and JFK in the Savage Land.
    The Government created Mutants as a Distraction.
    Mystique has been President since 69.
    Colossus faked his death to up his art's Value.

Thought I'd create some Tin Hat Controversial X opinions which could exist in the Marvel Universe
    I'm pretty sure there was a thread for this.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Xavier's school was a privately funded facility. They don't seek accreditation from any board or outside source. Why would they submit to any outsiders snooping around. Remember, Xavier would mindwipe whole towns, including police, when recruiting the O5. I doubt he would let anyone interrupt the proceedings.

And no, standing around looking at a blue screen does not count as an active training sequence.
    This year Scotland investigated private schools as part of its national campaign against child abuse. Being a private school is not going to be enough to protect them. Especially once it comes to light that the teacher has had inappropriate thoughts about his female students.

And Xavier mindwiping entire towns is the type of crap that only further justifies hatred of all Mutants, X-Men or otherwise. Even Scott never resorted to this and frankly he was more transparent than Xavier had been.

You're setting up some weird arbitrary standards for why that doesn't count

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This year Scotland investigated private schools as part of its national campaign against child abuse. Being a private school is not going to be enough to protect them. Especially once it comes to light that the teacher has had inappropriate thoughts about his female students.

And Xavier mindwiping entire towns is the type of crap that only further justifies hatred of all Mutants, X-Men or otherwise. Even Scott never resorted to this and frankly he was more transparent than Xavier had been.

You're setting up some weird arbitrary standards for why that doesn't count
    Luckily Xavier's isn't in Scotland. And yes, mutants, including Charles and Scott, have done very morally questionable things, but when you have a town literally trying to lynch teenage boys[for being mutants], sometimes it makes better sense to just mindwipe everyone.

Uh, no. A training sequence would be a sequence that actually shows mutants engaged in various exercises to improve their control and use of their mutant abilities. X-Apocalypse showed people standing around and cut off before anything interesting happens. Hence, it doesn't show an active training sequence and sucks.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Luckily Xavier's isn't in Scotland. And yes, mutants, including Charles and Scott, have done very morally questionable things, but when you have a town literally trying to lynch teenage boys[for being mutants], sometimes it makes better sense to just mindwipe everyone.

Uh, no. A training sequence would be a sequence that actually shows mutants engaged in various exercises to improve their control and use of their mutant abilities. X-Apocalypse showed people standing around and cut off before anything interesting happens. Hence, it doesn't show an active training sequence and sucks.
    Private schools in the U.S aren't immune either. In hindsight I should have led with that but my point is being a private school won't stop people from asking questions

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.b...o5hkN/amp.html

So why is Scott getting vilified for essentially doing what Xavier's done?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So why is Scott getting vilified for essentially doing what Xavier's done?
    You are overthinking the feasibility of a billionaire telepath with multiple doctorates, with military and FBI connections, running a private school in his own family estate in Westchester, especially with only a handful of students, especially in a comic book. Scott sparked anti-mutant hysteria when a video of him destroying a construction site went on live news and was a homeless orphan running with a crazy diamond-skinned hustler. Iceman was almost lynched. Hank eventually got past the teasing of his classmates when he applied himself to football, but the X-Men saved him from the Conquistador who had kidnapped him and his parents, for indefinite exploitation. Jean's father was a college professor and friends/colleagues with Charles, which is why he was called in when her experience with Annie triggered her powers. Angel was already at a boarding school(and doing quite well with his powers, already a hero), so he and Jean joining is a no brainer. The other guys were really lucky to have a place at all.

Charles was vilified to make the equally if not even more morally ambiguous triumvirate of Scott-Emma-Magnus look reasonable in the post-Morrison era. Old school Charles was always harsh and would mindwipe and lie when he felt he had to(like when he faked his death to have time to prepare for the Z'Nox), but he usually did have sound reasons. The added retcons of the Krakoa team and Danger were overwrought. We've already seen Xavier's dark side, several times. Throwing an old man off of his own family estate was a low move. Scott made his own bed with the increasingly erratic behavior he displayed before the end.

Mighty Member

You are overthinking the feasibility of a billionaire telepath with multiple doctorates, with military and FBI connections, running a private school in his own family estate in Westchester, especially with only a handful of students, especially in a comic book. Scott sparked anti-mutant hysteria when a video of him destroying a construction site went on live news and was a homeless orphan running with a crazy diamond-skinned hustler. Iceman was almost lynched. Hank eventually got past the teasing of his classmates when he applied himself to football, but the X-Men saved him from the Conquistador who had kidnapped him and his parents, for indefinite exploitation. Jean's father was a college professor and friends/colleagues with Charles, which is why he was called in when her experience with Annie triggered her powers. Angel was already at a boarding school(and doing quite well with his powers, already a hero), so he and Jean joining is a no brainer. The other guys were really lucky to have a place at all.

Charles was vilified to make the equally if not even more morally ambiguous triumvirate of Scott-Emma-Magnus look reasonable in the post-Morrison era. Old school Charles was always harsh and would mindwipe and lie when he felt he had to(like when he faked his death to have time to prepare for the Z'Nox), but he usually did have sound reasons. The added retcons of the Krakoa team and Danger were overwrought. We've already seen Xavier's dark side, several times. Throwing an old man off of his own family estate was a low move. Scott made his own bed with the increasingly erratic behavior he displayed before the end.
    Agreed! Charles was never a saint but the retcons that make him out to be the biggest bastard in the MU is unforgivable. And it was all done in service of pushing Cyclops to the forefront. I mean if you want Cyclops as the undisputed leader you can't have any viable alternatives. So Xavier becomes the biggest a-hole and is kicked out of his own home, Storm is married off and sent away and everyone else is made to be blind followers. And Cyclops with hs inner circle of Emma and Magneto are free to do as they please. The funny thing is Emma is doing far worst things than Charles ever did but he remains a bastard who should stay dead and she is seen by some as a hero. Did Charles setup re-education camps?

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    The funny thing is Emma is doing far worst things than Charles ever did but he remains a bastard who should stay dead and she is seen by some as a hero.
    The Emma part was the worst. I mean, maybe the children who love her didn't read the old stories, but some of us remember. How dare she try to slap Charles around and call him names. She, who killed a horse to manipulate a child into being her slave. She, who stole Storm's body and let Shaw do as he pleased. She, who has gotten SCORES of children killed. She, who blew up an ice cream store in her first story! She somehow had a moral high ground over Charles? Preposterous.

I have only one: Chuck Austen wrote two of the best issues of Uncanny X-Men I have ever read. Unfortunately it was the last two issues of his run which were preceded by the rest of his run, which was the worst run I've ever read on a book. Not just UXM, ANY book. I try to forget everything but those last two issues ever took place.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

I've got a lot of time for Chuck Austen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Maybe not one of the best, but I hugely love Doug. Despite being a white blond blue-eyed american het man ^ ^
    That is true, though given his closeness with Warlock and his miraculous second mutation of being able to never go any further with like 10 different almost-relationships over his history, he's a prime candidate for the Iceman reveal.
    Does it count as het if he's only been shown to be intimate with Technological beings / A.I's? Or does that make him technosexual?

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    That's because it's challenging to find ways to make their powers useful and visually appealing in action sequences. Characters with physical, visually obvious powers are much easier in that regard.

The key I think is to lean into that skid and make their powers important to the story in other ways. For example, Cypher's language ability would make him an excellent intelligence operative. Or, alternatively, great at making first contact with other mutants--and organizations of mutants--outside the Anglophone world.
    I mean, Necrosha pretty much displayed how his power could be visually appealing. But honestly, after his resurrection I'm surprised that nobodies picked the super low hanging fruit and showed Doug seeing the entire world in Matrix-style code as a way of displaying how he reads everything as language.
    I mean, you could make it yellow/black and Warlock techno-organic and have it be a side effect of his power combining with Warlock's so many times.

Sort of like that - but not made in 5 minutes with an online tool.
    Hopefully incorporating more T-O elements like we've seen below:

Alternately, just whenever something's from Doug's perspective have a bunch of annotations on the various objects and characters in the panel, pointing out various things he's reading at any point.

What erratic behaviour. Most of what he did was what the X-Men had been doing since their inception. X-Force was the most questionable decision and he shut it down when it was no longer needed. Only for Logan to reactivate it behind his back. Even with Utopia, Scott was still trying to maintain good relations with humans like the mayor of San Francisco and he was the one pushing for the X-Men to focus more on just doing regular superhero stuff in Whedon's run. If you're going to give Xavier slack for what he did by claiming it was necessary I don't see why Scott shouldn't be extended the same courtesy

The Emma part was the worst. I mean, maybe the children who love her didn't read the old stories, but some of us remember. How dare she try to slap Charles around and call him names. She, who killed a horse to manipulate a child into being her slave. She, who stole Storm's body and let Shaw do as he pleased. She, who has gotten SCORES of children killed. She, who blew up an ice cream store in her first story! She somehow had a moral high ground over Charles? Preposterous.
    Haven't you heard the latest Xavier reveal? Turns out this whole time Emma has just been a psychic manifestation of Charles's repressed sexual feelings towards Jean. So every bad thing Emma's ever done was actually Xavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Kitty Pryde is a queer baiting racist.

YAAASSS

There are wayyyyy too many white mutants. Mutants are a global phenomenon, white mutants should make up 10%, 14% tops. 1/7 mutants should be from India. More than 1/7 mutants should be Chinese.
    ugh I remember when I became old enough to realize this and wonder why other readers didnt notice and say someting.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian_Soul View Post
    I think that has to do with the fact most of the white characters we see are iconic and made around the 60's-90's where alot of the popular and best stories were made with some of these characters at the forefront being written complex and interesting.
    okay I can give Marvel creators some slack during the 60s-70s but it took them till '82 to -get a black dude on an X-team (whose character Marvel has royally F^CKED up) with the debut of Karma, Moonstar, Warpath, Revanche, Wiz Kid, it seemed like the new generation would be even more inclusive than the "International" team. looong 10 years later we get a futuristic "African-American" in Bishop, Shard, Native American Forge came out. but by the 90s there shouldn't have been any reason not to create complex ethnic X-Men. You had the Cosby show being a big hit...United colors of Benetton, those Burger King kids. and it looked like it wasnt gonna be an issue with Gen X where you get the first African-American X-man Synch on a team, with Asian Jubilee, Mexican Skin, black Monet, Samoan Mondo, ambiguous Penance, Aborigine Gateway hung around, and Blink....who is from the Bahamas (but anyway.) Gen X only had 2 white team members, Husk and the deformed Chamber...things were looking up. but of course cant change the status quo soo they either limbo'd, killed, depowered most of the young ethnic mutants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    That is something.

Monet and Fantomex' status in the X-books has grown in recent years, so I'm not sure that's fully true. I do think there's already a number of iconic characters in regular circulation out of the initial two X-men teams that it makes a character matching that icon status all the more difficult

are Monet and Fantomex really the best choices to highlight your point. Damn the X-men are a sad sack of mostly lily white mutants. lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    okay I can give Marvel creators some slack during the 60s-70s but it took them till '82 to -get a black dude on an X-team (whose character Marvel has royally F^CKED up) with the debut of Karma, Moonstar, Warpath, Revanche, Wiz Kid, it seemed like the new generation would be even more inclusive than the "International" team. looong 10 years later we get a futuristic "African-American" in Bishop, Shard, Native American Forge came out. but by the 90s there shouldn't have been any reason not to create complex ethnic X-Men. You had the Cosby show being a big hit...United colors of Benetton, those Burger King kids. and it looked like it wasnt gonna be an issue with Gen X where you get the first African-American X-man Synch on a team, with Asian Jubilee, Mexican Skin, black Monet, Samoan Mondo, ambiguous Penance, Aborigine Gateway hung around, and Blink....who is from the Bahamas (but anyway.) Gen X only had 2 white team members, Husk and the deformed Chamber...things were looking up. but of course cant change the status quo soo they either limbo'd, killed, depowered most of the young ethnic mutants.
    Bishop and Shard are actually Aboriginal Australians, and the great great grandchildren of Gateway.

Quote Originally Posted by Xargukon View Post
    Bishop and Shard are actually Aboriginal Australians, and the great great grandchildren of Gateway.
    hence the quotes. but at the time...they appeared to be African American
    GrindrStone(D)