Page 382 of 663 FirstFirst ... 282332372378379380381382383384385386392432482 ... LastLast
Results 5,716 to 5,730 of 9936

Queerbaiting is good, actually

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Please explain lol.

Mighty Member

I dunno if I ever made my stance on it clear. But basically, I wouldn't care if actual lgbtq+ x-men were getting a notable spotlight, but other than Daken kinda, it's basically a wasteland. Like sure Prodigy and Iceman are there, but so far they're basically fringe secondaries in their books.

I've never had any strong investment in the Scott/Jean/Logan dynamic until the implied Krakoan dynamic and every implication, big or small, has me absolutely ELATED and excited for the next.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    And it never will. There is no way any writer can make this thing make sense. No way in hell these four characters would agree with this kind of arrangement. So Hickman just completely skipped over that part.
    which irritates me because an explanation is better than no explanation
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    100% agree. No one is really satisfied with it, so what's the point? People who are interested in seeing a poly relationship explored aren't getting anything, a lot of fans of the characters are upset, and since it's mostly off screen we're not even getting good writing or memorable moments out of it.
    i just really want some nice Scott/Emma scenes
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Astonishing Member

100% agree. No one is really satisfied with it, so what's the point? People who are interested in seeing a poly relationship explored aren't getting anything, a lot of fans of the characters are upset, and since it's mostly off screen we're not even getting good writing or memorable moments out of it.
    I don't think Hickman cares about queerbaiting, he probably didn't want to deal with the inevitable backlash that would come with wasting panel time on who Cyclops was sleeping with. So he threw them all in a poly relationship and sidestepped all that nonsense to focus on a story people would actually give a **** about. It's a narrative tool that also gives those interested in queer/poly romance something to chew on or at least fantasize about.

And I'm happy with the outcome. Most people don't care and those that do can celebrate whatever little hints Hickman and co. choose to give, because I doubt the relationship gets fleshed out. It can be ignored as soon as Hickman is done with the X-Men and if not, it can be used to tell new stories. He's kicking the can down the road and I appreciate it from a storytelling standpoint, he didn't cause the bad writing between those characters and frankly he's under no obligation to fix it.

Please explain lol.
    What Fokken said, basically

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    I dunno if I ever made my stance on it clear. But basically, I wouldn't care if actual lgbtq+ x-men were getting a notable spotlight, but other than Daken kinda, it's basically a wasteland. Like sure Prodigy and Iceman are there, but so far they're basically fringe secondaries in their books.
    In comparison to previous X-Men eras I'd say this is easily the best period for LGBTQ+ mutants ever? The last time Prodigy, Rictor, Northstar, Daken were even on a regular ongoing was maybe 8, 10 years ago. And all of them at once? Probably never. And then there's also Kate being allowed to come out, bringing back more obscure characters like Shinobi Shaw, Jumbo Carnation and Christian Frost into the spotlight, etc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I've never had any strong investment in the Scott/Jean/Logan dynamic until the implied Krakoan dynamic and every implication, big or small, has me absolutely ELATED and excited for the next.
    This is freaking dumb, why would somebody trade LGBT characters, for a dumb hint/hint of a poly amorous that never develops?

Nice things that x-men sales are really bad, even with a event.

BANNED

What Fokken said, basically

In comparison to previous X-Men eras I'd say this is easily the best period for LGBTQ+ mutants ever? The last time Prodigy, Rictor, Northstar, Daken were even on a regular ongoing was maybe 8, 10 years ago. And all of them at once? Probably never. And then there's also Kate being allowed to come out, bringing back more obscure characters like Shinobi Shaw, Jumbo Carnation and Christian Frost into the spotlight, etc.
    There was a Iceman ongoing and minis. also tim seeley mini focusing on Rictor's ex.

maybe more quality, with gays being protagonists instead of being on a C list book

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    This is freaking dumb, why would somebody trade LGBT characters, for a dumb hint/hint of a poly amorous that never develops?

Nice things that x-men sales are really bad, even with a event. Hickman will go down and his hickminions fans
    You have data showing sales are down? Please don’t get my hopes up without something to verify that’s just cruel

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    You have data showing sales are down? Please don’t get my hopes up without something to verify that’s just cruel
    https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...0/2020-09.html

Don't worry that X of swords will inflate a bit on october and November. Anyway x-factor and Cable seems to be canceled camp pretty soon after the crossover. new mutants and marauders seems bad but more stable

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    Nice things that x-men sales are really bad, even with a event.
    Gonna call bullshit on that analysis.
    1st Any analysis of comics in 2020 needs a huge grain of salt as a result of the COVID shutdown.
    2nd So far almost a third of the top 30 comics of the year are from the X-Line (9 of 30, 6 of the top 15 and 3 of the top 10)
    3rd Hickmans comics (X-Men) are routinely in the top 10 or top 5 each month (depending on Batman or event comics)
    4th There isn't nearly enough data on X of Swords yet
    5th In August the lowest of the regular X-book was Cable #3 ranked in 55th place, ahead of other major titles like Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America, Venom, Deadpool, Catwoman, etc...
    6th You claim that X-Factor is right around cancellation but... In August #2 was ranked 36th and in September #4 was ranked 28th

Now I'm not great at deciphering sales numbers, I've no idea what criteria Marvel uses to determine success or cancellation and there is a ton of information on that site that I quite frankly don't understand... However my pure noobish, armchair assessment of the data says your interpretation is full of... holes.
    However, never let it be said I'm unwilling to be schooled. If you have a more detailed, factually based analysis, with measurable evidence, showcasing your point, feel free to prove me wrong
    Last edited by Kisinith; 11-02-2020 at 07:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    1st Any analysis of comics in 2020 needs a huge grain of salt as a result of the COVID shutdown.
    2nd So far almost a third of the top 30 comics of the year are from the X-Line (9 of 30)
    3rd Hickmans comics (X-Men) are routinely in the top 10 or top 5 (depending on Batman or event comics)
    5th In August the lowest of the regular X-book was Cable #3 ranked in 55th place, ahead of other major titles like Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America, Venom, Deadpool, Catwoman, etc...
    6th You claim that X-Factor is right around cancellation but... In August #2 was ranked 36th and in September #4 was ranked 28th

Now I'm not great at deciphering sales numbers, I've no idea what criteria Marvel uses to determine success or cancellation and there is a ton of information on that site that I quite frankly don't understand... However my pure noobish, armchair assessment of the data says your interpretation is full of... holes.
    I’m amazed ant books were sold at all. Addiction is a powerful thing

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    2nd So far almost a third of the top 30 comics of the year are from the X-Line (9 of 30, 6 of the top 15 and 3 of the top 10)
    3rd Hickmans comics (X-Men) are routinely in the top 10 or top 5 each month (depending on Batman or event comics)

However, never let it be said I'm unwilling to be schooled. If you have a more detailed, factually based analysis, with measurable evidence, showcasing your point, feel free to prove me wrong
    I'm not sure why you are using August? I posted September and Cable was on 84th position, behind Captain America, Catwoman, Batman's Grave.

You are right about X-factor #4, but it is inflated by the event. X-factor #3 without event to help was in 79th, a bit better than Cable.
    These two books can recover, of course.

x-men is not on top 10 since July, usually star writers have to perform a lot better

you are right about not having enough data, but the start seems not great and not hearing good things from retailers

Usually Big Two use to cancel books under 20k, but it isn't only about sales. Many books sell worse than this and still going for many reasons: editors like, trade sales...

In what world is queerbaiting good for anyone other than fic writers?