Page 401 of 668 FirstFirst ... 301351391397398399400401402403404405411451501 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,015 of 10013

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This is the unpoplar and controversial opinions thread. By that nature, people are gonna write stuff that most dont agree with. Its best to just accept that and move on, not to try and argue against it.

My unpopular opinion? Frenzy is terrible. She seems to be a cult favorite on this board but I dont get it. She is not likeable nor has she ever been. I dont see what redeeming qualities she has or whats interesting about her that makes people want more. She's just abrasive and the absolute worst
    What is her backstory? i know very little about beyond some Cyclops fans shipping her with Basilisk.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    There's just something so cringe about Leah Williams' writing and interpretation of Emma Frost.

And I currently really enjoy Duggan's Emma so it's not even just the idea of Emma as a considerably nice/sympathetic/supportive person.
    Exactly, why I couldn't read that X-men Black one shot, I know Emma fans will disagree but outside of Matt Fraction I've never read someone who has more of a fundamental misunderstanding of a character.

Emma when she's good is great, however because of the nature of the character so many writers want to use her without understanding her. Which gives imo about 15 years of bad writing. Hickman has been a saving grace, but my least favorite thing about Emma under certain writers is no comeuppance. Especially as it relates to the other X-women, I don't care if she forms better relationships with them. But I do wish writers would give the other X-women more agency in making a decision to be cordial with Emma. For a few years Emma would insult someone and they'd go right along with the insults Storm under Peter Milligan or whoever wrote the Ghost Box arc with Storm BEGGING Emma to return to the X-men. Gross!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    But this isn't the real reason. It ALWAYS comes back to Jean and slut shamming on these boards, and always the same people.

Essentially enslaving Danger, having sex with his patient, a traumatized victim, because she would be a good match biologically, and all the crap he pulled on Micronauts.

It's particularly non-sense to complain about her in an island that has Sinister, Shaw, Mystique and Apocalypse running around. Or even as heroes, Emma's body count pales next to Wolverine's.
    Mystique just killed a bunch of people and betrayed the X-men pratically every time. All her sexual assault doesn't come from the character herself but from comic writers not understanding that rape by decision is very much assault and downplaying it. I don't think she deserves to be put on par with Magneto, Sinister and Apocalypse imo.

Xavier had done far more horribly stuff than Emma. Deadly genesis isn't even some of the worst **** he pulled, his first meeting with Logan where basically brainwashed and reprogrammed him into joining the X-men, being a complete creep to underaged Jean and putting mental blocks in her mind to dampen her powers, running out on Gabrielle and David Haller (which caused David to create age of apocalypse), Xavier's protocols and was just an all around awful teacher/mentor to the O5.

Marvel Comics Presents with Beast remembering his childhood friend that Xavier erased from his life falls before the 90s T.V. show zen like father figure.

Also Secret Wars and his threats of turning Storm into a puppet was before that era too.

Micronauts has the second highest death count, only second to Wanda

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Not worth it...nope.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 12-07-2020 at 07:04 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    Mystique just killed a bunch of people and betrayed the X-men pratically every time. All her sexual assault doesn't come from the character herself but from comic writers not understanding that rape by decision is very much assault and downplaying it. I don't think she deserves to be put on par with Magneto, Sinister and Apocalypse imo.

Xavier had done far more horribly stuff than Emma. Deadly genesis isn't even some of the worst **** he pulled, his first meeting with Logan where basically brainwashed and reprogrammed him into joining the X-men, being a complete creep to underaged Jean and putting mental blocks in her mind to dampen her powers, running out on Gabrielle and David Haller (which caused David to create age of apocalypse), Xavier's protocols and was just an all around awful teacher/mentor to the O5.
    I disagree, I think they are on same level: Emma has dark phoenix, using storm body to have sex with Shaw, using her authority as doctor to sleep with Scott, Trying to brainwash teen Cyke to date him, mass murder of inhumans, mass torture and mental manipulation on secret empyre, plan to make everyone a mutant.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'd say what Emma was doing to Storm (psychically probing her to make her cry out in pain) was torture. But karma caught up to her for that and her role in DPS with Jean showing up right after and zapping her into a coma.
    That wasn't a one time thing, she would continue to abuse her positions of authority as an X-man, like "training" Iceman by using her powers on him to do this against his will and become Big Brother from 1984 in New Tien. She has no business having any authority anywhere.

I do agree that if Magneto and Xavier are getting passes (even at the time in the 80s, Magneto had a longer villain track record than Emma when he became headmaster of the school), plus Wolverine definitely has a higher body count, Emma shouldn't be regarded as unusual.
    They shouldn't be getting passes, either. It's not just about murder, Emma was introduced brainwashing and manipulating Jean into being Wyngarde's trophy wife/sex toy and trying to force an underaged Kitty Pryde into sex slavery, we don't know how many unnamed victims she's lured into the Hellfire Club's sex slavery business but the implication is a lot. Many of the characters only get by with the comics ignoring their past deeds and there nameless victims never, ever appear and they're not called out by the X-men when they should know better. Why is Emma even on the X-men? Its starling how in the 90's they let a child sex slaver be a principle of mutants students for Generation X. The implications about Emma;'s action before and after joining the X-men are mind boggling in scope, she may not be the worse but having worse people don't make her a saint.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 12-07-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

"Fans" Lurkers should actually read comics. Psylocke was not a original member because she wore a yellow and blue costume for a while during the Jim Lee ninja days. She was not a member before Nightcrawler and Wolverine because she is older. There is no conspiracy. And British Betsy did exist. She did want to be the lioness and not the prim and proper English woman and she wanted to be a warrior. Persistent arrogance can get even murderous. Leave that tumblr nonsense at the door. Believe it or not this has become controversial. It hurts because I love Psylocke/Kwannon.

This is the unpoplar and controversial opinions thread. By that nature, people are gonna write stuff that most dont agree with. Its best to just accept that and move on, not to try and argue against it.

My unpopular opinion? Frenzy is terrible. She seems to be a cult favorite on this board but I dont get it. She is not likeable nor has she ever been. I dont see what redeeming qualities she has or whats interesting about her that makes people want more. She's just abrasive and the absolute worst
    So She is a basically female Wolverine. The X-men franchise is famous for pulling these bad guys or unlikable characters and over time they change and you grow to like them, That is formula for Rogue,Wolverine, Gambit, White Queen, Magneto, Namor and couple of others. I don't think you are wrong with this opinion except I don't think you are valuing conflict and personality clash enough. You need a-holes to contrast your white knights. One of the bigger problem with X-men franchise at times is that everyone gets along and has the same style of being hero.

On small related note Gambit, Cable and lesser degree Wolverine became worse characters when you take away their flaws and explain out their back stories. Gambit is better as womanizing ,chain smoking thief with a mysterious background who is bit of cocky bastard. So I guess the unpopular opinion is We don't need to backstory of some characters,unless you have a killer amazing story just leave the backstory alone, We didn't need to know Wolverine past and real name, We didn't need to know Gambit secret, We don't need to know Rogue's real name,etc. I can't think anything that being James Howlett has actually help for Wolverine.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-08-2020 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    Xavier had done far more horribly stuff than Emma
    That's quite a stretch. He's done a lot of questionable stuff but nowhere near as bad as 80's Emma. And even these days she pulls a lot of disgusting **** far worse than Xavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Fang X View Post
    Which is nothing out of the ordinary of a supervillain group, which she happened to be a part of at the time. Again, in the grand scheme of things, the things Emma did were not anything horrific.
    If you don't think torture, murder and mental enslavement are horrific, I don't know what to say to you.

Also, you may want to expand on what classifies as "torture" because that is completely subjective.
    No there is nothing subjective about this being torture.

The mental gymnastics at play here are worthy of an Olympic Gold Medal.

We're gonna pretend that Danger doesn't exist, another issue that was brought on by Cueball, also his actions involving the Illuminati, his creeping on Jean and later on, Dani, mindwiping Magneto which later spawned Onslaught, and that's just the tip of iceberg that is Charles' transgressions, transgressions that had far more in the way of consequence than anything Emma did beyond Dark Phoenix.
    All of these things have been called out and going by your logic, I don't recall any of them having much consequence compared to Emma causing Jean to go dark which resulted in people dying.

The Dani thing wasn't Charles in control either as far as I remember.
    Me, of course. It ain't that serious.
    Tell that to people who've been cheated on. Or the politicians who end up laughing stocks when they step out on their spouses.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    But this isn't the real reason. It ALWAYS comes back to Jean and slut shamming on these boards, and always the same people.
    Slut shaming is what She-Hulk was subjected to when Wolverine called her Juggernaut's sloppy seconds.

Calling out Emma for sleeping with a married man while she was supposed to be treating his PTSD is not slut shaming.

Essentially enslaving Danger, having sex with his patient, a traumatized victim, because she would be a good match biologically, and all the crap he pulled on Micronauts.

It's particularly non-sense to complain about her in an island that has Sinister, Shaw, Mystique and Apocalypse running around. Or even as heroes, Emma's body count pales next to Wolverine's.
    I've complained about those four as well.

And since you brought up Emma having sex with a patient, Emma did that too.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-08-2020 at 01:09 AM.

Frenzy's a cult favorite here? That's news to me. I don't see much discussion about her.

I don't think the characters need to keep being mad at Emma for the stuff she did ages ago. They just shouldn't be her best friends and go on praising her about how she's such a great person with such a ~brutal heart UwU~.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So She is a basically female Wolverine. The X-men franchise is famous for pulling these bad guys or unlikable characters and over time they change and you grow to like them, That is formula for Rogue,Wolverine, Gambit, White Queen, Magneto, Namor and couple of others. I don't think you are wrong with this opinion except I don't think you are valuing conflict and personality clash enough. You need a-holes to contrast your white knights. One of the bigger problem with X-men franchise at times is that everyone gets along and has the same style of being hero.
    No, she thinks she's Wolverine but she's worse than he ever was. Which is a problem for the franchise, rehabilitating villains is fine sadly the X-men end up whitewashing the villains and they continue to do the same things over and over again and they're popular with the readers so they let it slide. Rogue was a minor terrorist, and got out of that life before she become a monster herself and she went down a long road of redemption, she isn't doing things like putting people in comas and congratulating herself for it as an X-man. Magneto and Namor have no business being super-heroes, they were A class super-villain terrorists with high body counts and barely show any remorse for the suffering they cause. Magneto certainly isn't going on apology tours for the people he's harmed as a terrorist, and in his long life he'd be responsible for killing numerous mutants or destroying their families as well as being a big factor in making mutants more hated by the world. Magneto thinks he's the Punisher when Stan Lee made him to be the antithesis of the X-men, the man who was wronged who become the monster he was fighting. Marvel is far too lenient with him, and so was Claremont. None of them are involved in sex trafficking or deliberately hurting mutants for their own agenda, Emma did this as a villain and as an X-man she did things like make herself the Purple Man of New Tien. Emma is out for herself, and has no remorse for the pain she's caused. She thinks she's owed everything, it could be argued she's a narcissist. The X-men have numerous anti-heroes less toxic and dangerous to the group than Emma.

On small related note Gambit, Cable and lesser degree Wolverine became worse characters when you take away their flaws and explain out their back stories. Gambit is better as womanizing ,chain smoking thief with a mysterious background who is bit of cocky bastard. So I guess the unpopular opinion is We don't need to backstory of some characters,unless you have a killer amazing story just leave the backstory alone, We didn't need to know Wolverine past and real name, We didn't need to know Gambit secret, We don't need to know Rogue's real name,etc. I can't think anything that being James Howlett has actually help for Wolverine.
    Gambit was an anti-hero and his biggest problem was that he unknowingly lead the Marauders to the Morlocks, something which he's been feeling guilty about and trying to atone for for years which he put on pseudo-trial for by Magneto posing as Eric the Red to divide the X-men which caused him to be exiled. He's normally a thief, and he didn't actively participate in the massacre, unlike Emma for her "mistakes". What's Cable done? Wolverine's like Gambit, but he hates the things he does and thinks he's a monster for doing terrible things. He is a killer, but that's never been something glossed over or encouraged by his team mates, and what he does is vastly less bad when Emma since he's defending himself and others, Emma brainwashed mutant citizens under her authority and was a child sex slaver in the Hellfire Club. Backstory's fine, the problem is when they get into absolute monster territory - which Emma fits into.