Page 403 of 669 FirstFirst ... 303353393399400401402403404405406407413453503 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,045 of 10030

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Because superheroes run to save the day, But X-men see Civil War happening a fight were they are need and the X-men go "Nah you guys have good luck with that". The X-men don't care about crime on their block and they aren't trying to save everyone.Cyclops running the street trying to stop muggers feels weird as hell.

The X-men are "superheroes" who fan understand they really aren't superheroes. Because X-men have that overall mentality of mutants first them doing things that don't serve that interest feels weird. The only X-men that work in solos is characters who have had jobs or skills outside of the X-men. Wolverine, X-23, Domino, Cable are mercenaries , Gambit is a thief, Bishop is Cop. So in writing stories for them their job is primary focus, Superhero thing is secondary. When ever they have write about a character who hasn't live a life outside of X-men the like the O-5 or New Mutants it tends not work but because people don't buy idea of X-men running around fighting crime. Since it is hard write believable as X-men as primary superheroes solo books tend not to work. Because again Storm randomly running chasing villains after years not give crap doesn't seem authentic to fans.

X-men aren't superheroes the best comparison I can think about they are Mutant Antifa or Black Panthers.
    What's more, the original idea of the X-Men by Xavier was to have good PR. The X-men costumes were to imitate superheroes and be better accepted by the public.

The X-Men were a vehicle for one purpose: to improve the perception of mutants among humans. They believed that if they were heroes and saved the world, humans would think "Hey, these mutants are good guys, let's stop killing them."

But it didn't happen. They didn't stop killing mutants.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

...And yet still, they continue to be superheroes, saving ALL of humanity time and again. More often "behind the scenes", but often enough quite visible and along side the other world renowned heroes like the Avengers.

They may not be revered like the Avengers but they are still heroes, in their own right, regardless of what the rest of the world thinks and feels about them.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    But it didn't happen. They didn't stop killing mutants.
    And mutants didn't stop killing normal humans or harming them with their super powers in ways that could be considered even worse. Because what ever someone has super powers or not is not a factor in people being willing to do horrible things to others for various reasons, but they do increase the scope in which they can do it.

Mutants are not universal victims, they can be agressors as much as they can be victims just like the rest of humanity.

Besides there is a pretty logical reason why nothing ever happens that changes things to the better permanently. Because it's a super hero comic franchise. Things have to remain stagnant and repeat over and over in order to sell overpriced 20 page comics of people with super powers in fancy (often impractical) costumes fighting other people with super powers, killer robots, aliens, demons, unpowered regular evil/criminal folks, etc, etc.

And said state of stagnation involves heroic or innocent characters having to suffer because people on both sides in the "mutant vs. normal human" situation keep doing horrible things to other humans super powered or not.
    Last edited by Grunty; 12-08-2020 at 10:37 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    OFF topics, but where is the annual forum voting about the X-Titles!?
    Isn't that Master of Sound's job?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    And mutants didn't stop killing normal humans or harming them with their super powers in ways that could be considered even worse. Because what ever someone has super powers or not is not a factor in people being willing to do horrible things to others for various reasons, but they do increase the scope in which they can do it.

Mutants are not universal victims, they can be agressors as much as they can be victims just like the rest of humanity.

Besides there is a pretty logical reason why nothing ever happens that changes things to the better permanently. Because it's a super hero comic franchise. Things have to remain stagnant and repeat over and over in order to sell overpriced 20 page comics of people with super powers in fancy (often impractical) costumes fighting other people with super powers, killer robots, aliens, demons, unpowered regular evil/criminal folks, etc, etc.

And said state of stagnation involves heroic or innocent characters having to suffer because people on both sides in the "mutant vs. normal human" situation keep doing horrible things to other humans super powered or not.
    Why do you read X-Men comics if you think mutants are the bad guys.

Why do you read X-Men comics if you think mutants are the bad guys.
    People can enjoy stories by characters that arent always good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Or stories about good people fighting bad people of the same cultural backround, nationality, ethnicity, species and so on, when they aren't fighting bad people of different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    I disagree, I think they are on same level: Emma has dark phoenix, using storm body to have sex with Shaw, using her authority as doctor to sleep with Scott, Trying to brainwash teen Cyke to date him, mass murder of inhumans, mass torture and mental manipulation on secret empyre, plan to make everyone a mutant.
    Emma doesn't have "dark phoenix", she (along with the Hellfire club) tried to use the phoenix force via Jean and it backfired spectacularly. Emma didn't willingly became a phoenix host and go dark phoenix during AvsX, she just happened to be there along with Scott, Illyana, Piotr and Namor. Does that mean they're villains too? Does it mean that Jean Grey is also a villain since she not only went dark phoenix but destroyed an entire star system? What about Hope and Quentin?

Having sex with Shaw while in Storm's body was a pretty bad thing to do but that doesn't make her anywhere near on the same level as Xavier or Sinister.

Emma Frost is not a doctor, she doesn't have a medical license or a doctorate, she never was anyone's doctor. She was Scott's informal counselor/therapist and she never used her authority to force her way to sleep with Scott, their relationship was fully consensual. Admittedly though, Emma shouldn't have started a relationship with him knowing he wasn't in the right headspace and vulnerable.

Emma didn't come on to teen Cyke, she tried to turn him into who adult Scott was before he died but the way it was written was pretty dubious.

Did you even finish reading Secret Empire? Emma didn't actually turn into a fascist overlord she was simply pretending to be following Hydra in order to protect mutants from harm and humans too. She was more like de de Gaule than Pétain.

Emma did bad things in her past, some of them downright horrible, but she has changed and atoned for them and most importantly, understands if some people are forever distrustful or if some of her victims don't ever forgive her. She understands that her past actions were wrong, unlike Sinister. Most importantly, those awful deeds were carried out as a villain and not as a hero, unlike Xavier. She doesn't have to change her personality or stop become cold in order to be reformed because those are not villainous traits.

You can dislike a character without having to find reasons as to why that character is bad and therefore the reason why you hate them.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

You're shooting blanks, frostedemma
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't think the characters need to keep being mad at Emma for the stuff she did ages ago. They just shouldn't be her best friends and go on praising her about how she's such a great person with such a ~brutal heart UwU~.
    You can respect someone from a distance. I do thing it make sense for Storm and Emma to work together given their position amongst the X-men and while Storm has recognised that Emma changed and the good she has done, it also makes sense for Ororo to not want to have a further relationship with her beyond the teammate, colleague and cordial thing they have going on. It makes sense for Ororo to decline the Red Queen position and anything to do with the Hellfire club. I get that Kitty and Emma are both a listers and whatnot, but it would make much more sense for Emma to have that relationship with one of her actual former student than Kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    Emma doesn't have "dark phoenix", she (along with the Hellfire club) tried to use the phoenix force via Jean and it backfired spectacularly. Emma didn't willingly became a phoenix host and go dark phoenix during AvsX, she just happened to be there along with Scott, Illyana, Piotr and Namor. Does that mean they're villains too? Does it mean that Jean Grey is also a villain since she not only went dark phoenix but destroyed an entire star system? What about Hope and Quentin?

Emma didn't come on to teen Cyke, she tried to turn him into who adult Scott was before he died but the way it was written was pretty dubious.

Did you even finish reading Secret Empire? Emma didn't actually turn into a fascist overlord she was simply pretending to be following Hydra in order to protect mutants from harm and humans too. She was more like de de Gaule than Pétain.

Emma did bad things in her past, some of them downright horrible, but she has changed and atoned for them and most importantly, understands if some people are forever distrustful or if some of her victims don't ever forgive her. She understands that her past actions were wrong, unlike Sinister. Most importantly, those awful deeds were carried out as a villain and not as a hero, unlike Xavier. She doesn't have to change her personality or stop become cold in order to be reformed because those are not villainous traits.

You can dislike a character without having to find reasons as to why that character is bad and therefore the reason why you hate them.
    Yes jean was considered a villian. She as Dark Phoenix tends to rank up there in top 5 in terms of X-men villian

I think you are downplaying the stuff during SE. Bunn wrote her as crazy and she wanted to turn Teen Scott into the man she loved. She kidnapped and tried to brainwash him and it was heavily implied that she wanted to be romantic with him bc she wanted the man that she loved back. Regardless of the outcome in the main book, there were tons of inconsistencies with Emma's characterization in this era but she most definitely was a villian in the Blue tie-in. She experimented on several mutants with MotherVine and forced them to be her army to attack the X-men Blue team. It wasnt to protect any of the parties involved; it was to get Scott adn keep them from stopping her. Despite all the trauma she caused Angelica as a child and making amends, Emma thought it was a good idea to use her again in that capacity which was pretty low. It was a poor choice and showed a lack of growth.
    Last edited by Havok83; 12-08-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Mutants have done bad things at times, yes, but if your premise is "Humans are right to exterminate them" I don't know how you can enjoy them.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Controversial Opinion:

I actually LOVE the bond that Kate and Emma have developed now. Because it's so uncommonly unexpected. I can't see Emm developing that type of relationship with any her former students because she will always be "above" them. With Kate it's a very different dynamic, more colleague/peer than teacher and sub-ordinate.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mutants have done bad things at times, yes, but if your premise is "Humans are right to exterminate them" I don't know how you can enjoy them.
    The thing about X-men is that its not always presented as black or white. The last decade worth of stories have leaned heavily into the shades of gray. Mutants can be good and bad at the same time; its all a matter of perspective. X-Force for example wasnt all that different from a villian group like the MLF but being protagonists, we got to see their POV in a way that most "bad guys" simply arent afforded.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Controversial Opinion:

I actually LOVE the bond that Kate and Emma have developed now. Because it's so uncommonly unexpected. I can't see Emm developing that type of relationship with any her former students because she will always be "above" them. With Kate it's a very different dynamic, more colleague/peer than teacher and sub-ordinate.
    Its forced and wasnt properly built up. I wish we had seen it naturally develop but I guess we can just chalk it up to them getting closer in the gap between AOX and HOX

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't think the characters need to keep being mad at Emma for the stuff she did ages ago. They just shouldn't be her best friends and go on praising her about how she's such a great person with such a ~brutal heart UwU~.
    I think that's the most reasonable take with Emma as an X-Man, althought is worth mentioning that even if the X-Men accept her, the people that she hurt don't own her any forgiveness but that's their decission, as far as i know they move past that.

Another thing, considering we are talking about redemption, i feel that an important part of redemption stories is that is not about the villain getting along with the heroes or whitewashing their past actions, is about then realizing their wrongs and trying to be better, fans and writers should always remember that, for what i remember Emma did exactly that in the 90s during her time in Gen X, apparently other writers regressed her.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona