Page 404 of 673 FirstFirst ... 304354394400401402403404405406407408414454504 ... LastLast
Results 6,046 to 6,060 of 10085
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Mutants have done bad things at times, yes, but if your premise is "Humans are right to exterminate them" I don't know how you can enjoy them.
    That's easy G.

They LOVE seeing the mutants be the doormat of humanity getting put down and kept down, it's what they deserve time and time again. Some people actually do like that sort of thing in their books, movies, art, music...they revel in the miseries inflicted on others.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The thing about X-men is that its not always presented as black or white. The last decade worth of stories have leaned heavily into the shades of gray. Mutants can be good and bad at the same time; its all a matter of perspective. X-Force for example wasnt all that different from a villian group like the MLF but being protagonists, we got to see their POV in a way that most "bad guys" simply arent afforded.

Its forced and wasnt properly built up. I wish we had seen it naturally develop but I guess we can just chalk it up to them getting closer in the gap between AOX and HOX
    Based on their interaction during the Whedon era, especially the ending,...I would there was more than enough build-up and history to be where they are now.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Based on their interaction during the Whedon era, especially the ending,...I would there was more than enough build-up and history to be where they are now.
    Yeah if you ignore everything thats happened since Whedon's run. Things havent been consistent with them and Kitty was back to hating Emma at the start of the ResurrXion era.

I blame those "inconsistencies" on bad writing and applaud HiX-Man and Co. for ignoring most of it. Despite what might have transpired over the years since AXM, it's certain that Emma holds a certain regard and respect for Kate. Which we see in the opening of Marauders 01.

Astonishing Member

Mutants have done bad things at times, yes, but if your premise is "Humans are right to exterminate them" I don't know how you can enjoy them.
    So who are you now refering to with that accusation? Considering this is based on a reaction to one of my posts, which i don't see reflecting that kind of viewpoint in any way.

It feels like there is something to clear up here.

Edit:
    Why do you read X-Men comics if you think mutants are the bad guys.
    Considering the above, i think i should adress this too. Where do you read me implying i see mutants as bad guy when my entire post was meant to be about how mutants (who are just humans with super powers) are just as much in the positions of filling the role of good and bad guys as the rest of humanity in these comics.

There is no one dimensional situation of "all normal humans = evil/murderers, all mutant humans = good/victims" at play here. Both sides have their good, bads and uglies and will always do.

There is no universal genocidal urge of normal humans to kill mutant humans, neither is there a universal urge of mutants wanting to use their powers to kill, dominate or harm normal humans.
    So it's incorrect to say "But they didn't stop murdering mutants" as if it's an act done by normal humans collectively or that it's an exceptional situation which should have stopped once mutants become accepted.

That if the X-men and their super heroics would have brought the big change in general opinion and status towards mutants by now, that said mutants would automatically be save from the violence that humans, mutants included, inflict upon each other for various reasons.

Not that they seem to be allowed to even achieve that status (or for long) which i was then lamenting about in the rest of my post. As the super hero nature of the X-men comics, which on one hand gives them all the cool features like super model looks, impressive and outlandish enemies, fancy costumes, also seem to actively forbid them from ever achieving a better status quo.

Since their super hero nature enforces this stagnation either through the writers or the editors enforcing it upon the writers.

Though it may sound naive, considering what i just wrote, i do hope said change in status quo might eventualy happen and stick around, even if the super hero nature of the comics and the need for minority representation will not stop violence against mutants (or mutants enacting violence against normal humans or each other) from happening.
    That if the same story beats keep happening things might at least look hopefull for a change again, which is why i stick with following what's going on with the X-men even when i don't see the status quo change happening yet.

If i misread your intention with the "But they didn't stop murdering mutants" statement, then i'm sorry, but it sounded like a one dimensional representation of the situation to me, just like my post seems to have sounded wrong to you.
    Last edited by Grunty; 12-08-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Yes jean was considered a villian. She as Dark Phoenix tends to rank up there in top 5 in terms of X-men villian

I think you are downplaying the stuff during SE. Bunn wrote her as crazy and she wanted to turn Teen Scott into the man she loved. She kidnapped and tried to brainwash him and it was heavily implied that she wanted to be romantic with him bc she wanted the man that she loved back. Regardless of the outcome in the main book, there were tons of inconsistencies with Emma's characterization in this era but she most definitely was a villian in the Blue tie-in. She experimented on several mutants with MotherVine and forced them to be her army to attack the X-men Blue team. It wasnt to protect any of the parties involved; it was to get Scott adn keep them from stopping her. Despite all the trauma she caused Angelica as a child and making amends, Emma thought it was a good idea to use her again in that capacity which was pretty low. It was a poor choice and showed a lack of growth.
    Yeah dark phoenix!Jean was considered a villain and the dark phoenix is still a major X-men but Jean is not forever categorised as villain the way the person I was responding too seems to think Emma should be.

Emma had widely inconsistent writing during secret empire and death of x era with editorial wanting to turn her into a villain and changing course towards the end. I explicitly said that Emma trying to turn teen Cyke into who adult Scott was written with dubious consent.

The whole point of Emma in secret empire wasn't for her to be hero but for her to go back to her old ways because Scott died.

I don't have any issues with Kitty and Emma newfound bond and after the nonsense and constant slutshaming and catfight we got with Whedon I actually welcome them getting along. But I would have liked to see their relationship evolved and built up on panel. Instead we saw them becoming intimate confidents and throwing slumber parties after exchanging three sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    On small related note Gambit, Cable and lesser degree Wolverine became worse characters when you take away their flaws and explain out their back stories. Gambit is better as womanizing ,chain smoking thief with a mysterious background who is bit of cocky bastard. So I guess the unpopular opinion is We don't need to backstory of some characters,unless you have a killer amazing story just leave the backstory alone, We didn't need to know Wolverine past and real name, We didn't need to know Gambit secret, We don't need to know Rogue's real name,etc. I can't think anything that being James Howlett has actually help for Wolverine.
    I'll say that what made Wolverine worse was pretty much telling us that all what we know about him was a lie and turn him into what Sabretooth always wanted him to be. OG Logan wasn't a saint, but there were enought redeamable qualities to at least not seeing her as a monster. He is that now and the only reason of why i don't consider him a villain is because he is at least regretfull and agrees that he deserves to rot in hell after his death, plus most of the other villains are so horrific these days that his crimes pale in comparison but i hate having to use that argument.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    I don't have any issues with Kitty and Emma newfound bond and after the nonsense and constant slutshaming and catfight we got with Whedon I actually welcome them getting along. But I would have liked to see their relationship evolved and built up on panel. Instead we saw them becoming intimate confidents and throwing slumber parties after exchanging three sentences.
    While I do get the need for wanting "build up" when it comes to relationships, platonic and otherwise, in comics I also understand that for comic book writers there may not be time and space to show and explore that build up, especially when that relationship is not the most important part of the plot and story being told. And we're talking about writers who favour plot over characterisation.

Even Claremont who is the opposite, characterisation within plot, gave us relationship moments that blossomed literally overnight (Storm and Forge, Betsy and Warren) and which we have come to accept as canon.

I can accept Kate and Emma's seemingly out of the blue respect and understanding for/of each other in Marauders because that seemed to be the natural progression of what came long before (barring any inconsistent OOC-ness and even as recent as when Kate and Piotr were getting married). It really isn't such a huge leap.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 12-08-2020 at 01:46 PM.

Astonishing Member

The idea that mutants are genuinely a separate species from humans has always been dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The idea that mutants are genuinely a separate species from humans has always been dumb.
    I totally agree, but I can see why they went with it. If humans are going to treat them so differently and horribly anyways then might as well embrace the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I totally agree, but I can see why they went with it. If humans are going to treat them so differently and horribly anyways then might as well embrace the difference.
    I found them more admirable when they were less influenced by the society and didn’t let people tell them who they were…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I found them more admirable when they were less influenced by the society and didn’t let people tell them who they were…
    I think taking pride in who you are is also admirable. If mutant life wasn't so rough (killer robots, genocides, etc.) I think more mutants would take the "Call me Alex," approach to life.

I think taking pride in who you are is also admirable. If mutant life wasn't so rough (killer robots, genocides, etc.) I think more mutants would take the "Call me Alex," approach to life.
    Indeed. I do appreciate how much pride the Krakoans take in their mutant-ness, now.

Astonishing Member

I mostly viewed it as propaganda on both sides. Obviously if Mutants aren't human, normal people won't feel as squeamish subjugating them. If Mutants aren't human, then it justifies their sense of superiority.

The problem is when they try to portray it as scientific fact. It's further proof that Marvel writers failed Middle School Biology.