Page 41 of 663 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141541 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

It was Reed and Sue it easy. Now, I loved Reed and Sue. They were my 2nd favorite Marvel couple and were, IMO, objectively speaking, THE Marvel couple. However, they had far less obstacles thrown their way than Jean and Scott. You can name several. She left him in the early 70s over Franklin. But considering that they were married in 1966, relatively speaking, very little what I would consider real problems in the relationship.

Simonson put obstacles in their way, as did other writers. Morrison was the first to deconstruct the relationship. I'm always surprised by people who thought Jean and Scott were going to wind up together at the end. Early on I thought that. Not after Scott and Emma started talking. From there it's whether you bought the deconstruction or not. Myself, I thought it was revisionist, nonsensical psychobabble.

In my view, Jean freed Scott to be with Emma. Whatever guilt, remorse, whatever you want to call it that kept him from moving on with his life, she removed that. She didn't make him fall in love with Scott. Those feelings were already there.

Whatever I condemn Scott for, I don't condemn him for hooking up with Emma right after Jean died. She freed him to do that. However, I would think that at least the other originals, knowing nothing about a psychic push, would be MAJORLY pissed at him for awhile. Not chastising him in a couple of panels over one page. More like 6 months to a year of comics

Also, sucking face with his mistress at Jean's cemetery is on Scott as well. Jean freed him to move on with his life. Can he wait till thy get home? Then he's doing it again a month or two later. IMO, those thoroughly disgusting acts are most definitely on Scott. And Emma, of course. Thing is, I don't care about her nor would I really expect better from her.

BANNED

Is it just me, or is Selene...?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Is it just me, or is Selene...?

lol! Is this from the New Mutants?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    lol! Is this from the New Mutants?
    New Mutants Annual 4

The artist is June Brigman. Pretty fun issue.

The New Mutants are a far more interesting team than the Xmen.

That said, Cannonball is the most boring x-character I can think of and it's high time for him to go on hiatus. (Though sticking him on the Avengers is a good start.)

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    The New Mutants are a far more interesting team than the Xmen.

That said, Cannonball is the most boring x-character I can think of and it's high time for him to go on hiatus. (Though sticking him on the Avengers is a good start.)
    If you throw around such definitive statements, you will have to define the teams. "X-Men" can mean quite a number of things. NM too, actually.

Incredible Member Victorian_Soul's Avatar

Cyclops should of died in like he was intended to dafter The Twelve.

Whoops, I did mean to say the original Claremont-era New Mutants characters, but I've never seem a team of X-men that was more interesting.
    Last edited by Arachne; 08-17-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Whoops, I did mean to say the original Claremont-era New Mutants characters, but I've never seem a team of X-men that was more interesting.
    So, like, Karma, Moonstar, Sunspot, and Rahne are a better, more interesting team, than any possible assortment of X-Men?

BANNED

I think Cannonball was necessary, though. You need the 'normal' guy on the team when most of the members are flashy and cool and filled with angst.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian_Soul View Post
    Cyclops should of died in like he was intended to dafter The Twelve.
    He basically did. Everything that came after that was basically a whole new character.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    So, like, Karma, Moonstar, Sunspot, and Rahne are a better, more interesting team, than any possible assortment of X-Men?
    In my opinion, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I think Cannonball was necessary, though. You need the 'normal' guy on the team when most of the members are flashy and cool and filled with angst.
    He really wasn't any more normal than the rest, he was just boring. Unless you're defining "normal" as white and male.

BANNED

He really wasn't any more normal than the rest, he was just boring. Unless you're defining "normal" as white and male.
    I meant his personality and temperament. He was the dopey, good natured country kid with flying powers. The other characters had more pathos and their powers were flashier(except for Doug).

In my opinion, yes.
    I really like Claremont's New Mutants run, its some of his best work, for sure, but I wouldn't go that far. But this is the unpopular/controversial opinion thread!

He had a lot of angst about his powers at first and there's a lot of pathos in losing your dad as a teenager. But I will say he was more interesting back then than he was after Claremont left and Sam became just another everyman hero.