Page 411 of 668 FirstFirst ... 311361401407408409410411412413414415421461511 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,165 of 10015
    Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What exactly would writing her similar to a black woman entail? I won't defend the inconsistency of her skin tone but what exactly does writing her as a black woman look like?
    I think I explained exactly what I meant the first time, but you're more than welcome to hypothesize on what I said.

Zaaaamn! I randomly click in this thread and... lawd

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont like the idea of one of the few black family in the X-line be involved in generational slavery. It wouldnt be a good look for Marvel to go down that route with Monet
    Yeaaaah I'm positive you'll only find this take on this board lol.Lawd
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Agreed, and not to be unnecessarily controversial, but while I did love what David did for his X-Factor cast, I've always felt he was never really interested in writing Monet as anything similar to a black woman. I felt like he saw he as this racially ambiguous woman he could randomly attached superficial story beat onto.
    Dude me to From tanning...her Muslim identity...she David seemed to be gobbing on everything but blackness lol. Buuut tbh that's true for a lotta chars...while chars like Dani Jimmy reg talk about their respective tribes Zero and the Japanese art movement Bobby and gay slang. It's rarer (if ever) to see Monet or Bishop or Storm bring up black familial idiosyncrasies or pop culture. Maybe writers are afraid of offending if Greg get it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Monet always reminded me of a touch of Stacy Dash from Clueless. Both in Gen X and X-Factor
    Ha! Yes that's immediately who I thought of when I began reading Gen X..if they had gotten the green light for a TV show Dash woulda been perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    Aren’t Clan Akkabba essentially a bunch of slaves? Aren’t Nova Romans a bunch of slaves? Why would it make any difference if another affluent ancient bloodline incorporates a storyline that perhaps ceases with Monet in the new world, especially by addressing it?
    Are they slaves? To whom? And yeah it'll still be different it Monets fam had owning Mutant slaves this entire time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What exactly would writing her similar to a black woman entail? I won't defend the inconsistency of her skin tone but what exactly does writing her as a black woman look like?
    Acknowledging it in the slightest woulda been nice. Liiiike instead of M having a spread in Vanity Fair. She coulda been in Ebony or Jet lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Her tv actress looked like Stacey Dash. I thought it was her when I was younger
    Nope it was the "black girl" from Sweet Valley High TV show lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I just want to take a second to give a witness.

It's one thing to have your own view of what's actually there. It's entirely another to just "Moira..." a character's background when we've got almost nothing that actually points to it.
    I’m sorry but what exactly is “to Moira a character background”? I didn’t make that on the spot, it’s canon facts from the comics. Just because you haven’t read the issues or were aware of it doesn’t mean it’s made up.

1A58F09F-0DF9-464E-82C9-DEDCE33A310E.jpgC9836906-40F0-4A77-9B70-282290E5A6D0.jpg96E0A096-CFCA-4969-888D-A304571689A6.jpg

How is a Muslim identity not a “black trait” when half of the African continent is Muslim? When the largest Muslim demographic in the us are black americans?

G Willow is the only writer to actually delve into Monet Franco-Algerian identity. Given how marvel writers are all Americans, it’s not really shocking that they know little about french culture outside of generic stereotypes, let alone Algerian and maghrebi culture, it’s not surprising they haven’t included it in her characterisation. I do wish x-writers would bother to at least do some minimal research about Algeria,how there’s a big algerian/north african diaspora in france and the franco-algerian and french culture.

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    How is a Muslim identity not a “black trait” when half of the African continent is Muslim? When the largest Muslim demographic in the us are black americans.
    Well I meant it was just some added adjective that was outta the blue and never touched on again. It'll be like Angel coming out as gay and not doing anything that could be perceived as "gay". And aaaaactually Christianity is now the leading religion of Africa and black americans make up about 20% of American Muslims.
    G Willow is the only writer to actually delve into Monet Franco-Algerian identity. Given how marvel writers are all Americans, it’s not really shocking that they know little about french culture outside of generic stereotypes, let alone Algerian and maghrebi culture, it’s not surprising they haven’t included it in her characterisation. I do wish x-writers would bother to at least do some minimal research about Algeria,how there’s a big algerian/north african diaspora in france and the franco-algerian and french culture.
    But Monet grew up in Monaco
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post

Yeaaaah I'm positive you'll only find this take on this board lol.Lawd
    Dude me to From tanning...her Muslim identity...she David seemed to be gobbing on everything but blackness lol. Buuut tbh that's true for a lotta chars...while chars like Dani Jimmy reg talk about their respective tribes Zero and the Japanese art movement Bobby and gay slang. It's rarer (if ever) to see Monet or Bishop or Storm bring up black familial idiosyncrasies or pop culture. Maybe writers are afraid of offending if Greg get it wrong

Exactly!! It was very obvious he was interested in a very "exotic'' WOC who he could add these very superficial things onto as long as she wasn't specifically stated as black.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 12-11-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Exactly!! It was very obvious he was interested in a very "exotic'' WOC who he could add these very superficial things onto as long as she wasn't specifically stated as black.
    This is why the Xbooks need more black writers omg

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    This is why the Xbooks need more black writers omg
    Desperately!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Very good explanation. I think that if I viewed comic book characters like real people or even characters written by one author with a singular vision I would go crazy over how many horrible things they’ve done.

While I want the threads to go to another topic, I do have a quick question for the Emma haters. What solution would satisfy you with regards to the character? Do you want every comic book she’s in to explicitly call her out or do you want writers to not use her at all? Legitimately curious.
    Sie you asked, I think I can answer this. I think Krakoa has all the villains, so she should stay with the x-men while the rule continues. After the rule ends characters calling her out for all the wrong things she did and she getting out of x-men because of it. Let her get rogue...

I just want to take a second to give a witness.

It's one thing to have your own view of what's actually there. It's entirely another to just "Moira..." a character's background when we've got almost nothing that actually points to it.
    I’m sorry but what exactly is “to Moira a character background”? I didn’t make that on the spot, it’s canon facts from the comics. Just because you haven’t read the issues or were aware of it doesn’t mean it’s made up.

1A58F09F-0DF9-464E-82C9-DEDCE33A310E.jpgC9836906-40F0-4A77-9B70-282290E5A6D0.jpg96E0A096-CFCA-4969-888D-A304571689A6.jpg
    Politely...

What made you think that I was talking about you there?

Politely...

What made you think that I was talking about you there?
    You literally quoted my comments and replied with "It's one thing to have your own view of what's actually there. It's entirely another to just "Moira..." a character's background when we've got almost nothing that actually points to it.", how am I supposed to interpret that?

You literally quoted my comments and replied with "It's one thing to have your own view of what's actually there. It's entirely another to just "Moira..." a character's background when we've got almost nothing that actually points to it.", how am I supposed to interpret that?
    Which didn't just get posted out of the blue?

Never mind that a line about giving a witness was right there in the post...

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Well I meant it was just some added adjective that was outta the blue and never touched on again. It'll be like Angel coming out as gay and not doing anything that could be perceived as "gay". And aaaaactually Christianity is now the leading religion of Africa and black americans make up about 20% of American Muslims.
    But Monet grew up in Monaco
    The two major religions of Africa are very much still Islam and Christianity with a very small margin between the number of christians and muslims. African muslims account for 1/4 of the global muslim population.
    Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 7.28.10 PM.jpg

Black american make up the largest muslim american demographic with 25 percent of muslim in the us being black, 24 percent white, 18 percent southeast asian, 18 percent Arab, 7 percent mixed race, and 5 percent Hispanic. France has the largest muslim population in the western world primary due to north and western african immigration. 90% of Algerians are muslims, so no it's not random that Monet is muslim despite you not liking it for some reason.

Monet's faith has been brought up outside of x-factor, there was an entire Monet centric issue in x-men vol.4 where her faith was approached and there is that time Monet, Sooraya and Kamala all went to the mosque together for Eid.

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.23.58 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.23.20 PM.jpg

Monet is french (along with her two parents) and her father is the french ambassador to Monaco. Monaco is a city state that's surrounded by France on all side so she probably went back in forth between France and Monaco growing up.

Extraordinary Member

Wow.....I have the issue where Storm had the conversation with Louis St.Croix in my garage somewhere. I never made the connection that he was the elder of the St.Croix family.

You really do learn something new every day.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    slight correction... talented black writers.
    For my part, I’d be satisfied with talented writers…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe