Page 417 of 663 FirstFirst ... 317367407413414415416417418419420421427467517 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,255 of 9936
    Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It's all because the manga has a much higher pace due to not being colored. You can make fights that last fifteen issues and it does not matter because you haven't wasted that much time. You cannot expect for various reasons that superhero comics have 20 pages a week.
    I dunno- Alan Davis is superb when it comes to fight sequences. There’s a dialogue without words and he really gets how to use physics, imagination, and attention to powers in ways that move the story along without relying on big feats all the time. Same with Olivier Coipel.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    I dunno- Alan Davis is superb when it comes to fight sequences. There’s a dialogue without words and he really gets how to use physics, imagination, and attention to powers in ways that move the story along without relying on big feats all the time. Same with Olivier Coipel.
    Oh yeah.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

All the new costumes for Krakoa man mutants should be designed by chromat and laquan smith.

Ultimate Member

It helps that he gets to use Nightcrawler a bit, who has a really dynamic fighting style, compared to Wolverine, Colossus, Cyclops, Jean or Storm, who don't really move around as acrobatically. Over at DC, Nightwing and Timber Wolf are sort of the gold standards for that sort of fighting, and over here it's Nightcrawler, Spider-Man and 80s Daredevil.

Pre-metal wings Angel was also pretty dynamic (and, IMO, was better showcased as such in an issue of Thunderbolts, than ever as an X-Man...), having to rely on his aerial agility to get by. Post metal wings, he's a bit tankier, and while much more 'useful' in a tactical sense, not as much fun on the page, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It helps that he gets to use Nightcrawler a bit, who has a really dynamic fighting style, compared to Wolverine, Colossus, Cyclops, Jean or Storm, who don't really move around as acrobatically. Over at DC, Nightwing and Timber Wolf are sort of the gold standards for that sort of fighting, and over here it's Nightcrawler, Spider-Man and 80s Daredevil.

Pre-metal wings Angel was also pretty dynamic (and, IMO, was better showcased as such in an issue of Thunderbolts, than ever as an X-Man...), having to rely on his aerial agility to get by. Post metal wings, he's a bit tankier, and while much more 'useful' in a tactical sense, not as much fun on the page, IMO.
    Fights are certainly more interesting when characters don’t have super-mega powers… Concerning Alan Davis, it is interesting to notice that during Excalibur #1, Rachel Summers was almost always facing enemies that were immune to her powers…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

Here's the opinion: This franchise. It's just . . . too much.

It's too big and I've gotten too out-of-step with it. I've taken to reading titles that have favorite characters in them even when they're not written well. And I can't follow writers because I don't know any of these writers. The only writers who've managed to take up permanent residence in my head are the ones I read in my formative years of the '90s and early 2000s. I'm only just now figuring out what's good because I've been able to get the Dawn of X TPBs from the local library system.

All-New Member

Agree with you on Alan Davis, but not Coipiel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Fights are certainly more interesting when characters don’t have super-mega powers… Concerning Alan Davis, it is interesting to notice that during Excalibur #1, Rachel Summers was almost always facing enemies that were immune to her powers…
    I think part of it is how the powers limit the characters range of motion. Cyclops, no matter the situation, is always going to be leaning forward, hand on his visor, facing the enemy. As an artist, that's BAF to draw, compared to Nightcrawler, who is going to be ass over teakettle, limbs all over the place, flipping through the air with a freaking sword in his tail. Wolverine, Colossus, even psychics like Emma Frost or Jean Grey, tend to have a basic attack posture, and it isn't terribly dynamic.

And so they get big power shots (feats!), colorful costumes and / or badass establishing poses that show off their veiny muscles or prodigious cleavage, because otherwise, they don't have any real kinetic appeal, visually, and come off kind of static, which just draws the readers attention to the fact that they're looking at a static picture of action, not actual action.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Not actually controversial at all but there's nowhere else to put this so I just wanted to say; loving the memes about Fauci and the X-Men now that he's started phrasing concerns about covid mutations as "We need to be concerned about the mutants"

I hate the ship of Rachel and Kitty. It feels like incest to me. I think she is basically her surrogate mother.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I hate the ship of Rachel and Kitty. It feels like incest to me. I think she is basically her surrogate mother.
    Mother? LOL...Rachel is only a few years older than her. Their relationship has always been more like sisters, not mother/daughter. That would be Kitty with Storm, not Rachel. Rachel isnt someone I see as being maternal towards anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Mother? LOL...Rachel is only a few years older than her. Their relationship has always been more like sisters, not mother/daughter. That would be Kitty with Storm, not Rachel. Rachel isnt someone I see as being maternal towards anyone
    I mean Kitty as Kate from Rachel's timeline was a mother figure for Rachel. The idea of her going back in time and dating her surrogate mother feels really icky to me.

I mean Kitty as Kate from Rachel's timeline was a mother figure for Rachel. The idea of her going back in time and dating her surrogate mother feels really icky to me.
    Oh okay. That makes more sense

I kind of view it from the perspective that their dynamic in Rachel’s timeline has already been changed so much in 616. Like this Kitty isn’t destined to become the Kitty that raised Rachel. Still, I totally understand why people are not about it.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 02-03-2021 at 02:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I kind of view at from the perspective that their dynamic in Rachel’s timeline has already been changed so much in 616. Like this Kitty isn’t destined to become the Kitty that raised Rachel. Still, I totally understand why people are not about it.
    After watching the German series Dark on Netflix, the DoFP Kate/Rachel thing, doesn’t bother me in the least.