Page 459 of 668 FirstFirst ... 359409449455456457458459460461462463469509559 ... LastLast
Results 6,871 to 6,885 of 10012

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    SHHH! This is Marvel. Don’t bring your Continuity in here.
    True that Marvel herself forgot about it

I don't care for the Hickman run. There is basically no real life or death stakes anymore because of the cop-out resurrection protocol. I get that comic characters are immortal but to literally make the mutants immortal in the story-line just takes the struggle and humanity right out as regardless of politics or genetics, mutants are still humans, just evolved but now the mutants are growing a god complex because of the changed factors. The mutants are slowly forgetting their own humanity as they have basically taken over the world through blackmail and don't care about anything or anyone unless they are mutants or unless it threatens their homeland. Hell, they just committed genocide on a race of AI in the "Hellions" comic thats gonna give birth to the future villain, Nimrod.

Its like I'm reading the Inhuman comics rather than an X-Men comic. They might as well just rename the comics to "Krakoa" because what I've read so far, Krakoa is run by the villains and the X-Men were replaced by pod people.

Quote Originally Posted by SiycoBatSquirrel View Post
    I don't care for the Hickman run. There is basically no real life or death stakes anymore because of the cop-out resurrection protocol. I get that comic characters are immortal but to literally make the mutants immortal in the story-line just takes the struggle and humanity right out as regardless of politics or genetics, mutants are still humans, just evolved but now the mutants are growing a god complex because of the changed factors. The mutants are slowly forgetting their own humanity as they have basically taken over the world through blackmail and don't care about anything or anyone unless they are mutants or unless it threatens their homeland. Hell, they just committed genocide on a race of AI in the "Hellions" comic thats gonna give birth to the future villain, Nimrod.

Its like I'm reading the Inhuman comics rather than an X-Men comic. They might as well just rename the comics to "Krakoa" because what I've read so far, Krakoa is run by the villains and the X-Men were replaced by pod people.
    I agree. Each mission - there's no risk.

"We're going against an army of Sentinels that are all like Nimrod!"

"Who cares? We will get resurrected if we fail."

"True. True."
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Extraordinary Member

All this is why I keep saying there needs to be dissent among mutants. Yes...the majority are going to love Krakoa...but there still need to be mutants who have a problem with it. Existing mutants like Justice and make new characters who may have an issue because their family members were killed by Magneto, the Brotherhood, Apocalypse, etc...and while they may have once thought of the X-Men as heroes...by standing up for the scumbag mutants they now view the X-Men as no better than the scumbags.

Imagine if one of them was Elizabeth Guthrie...she gets her AoA size changing powers and is re-introduced as a Federal Agent/Deputy US Marshall. How does that play out with her siblings, with the QC, and even just Krakoans in general?
    Last edited by Chris0013; 03-26-2021 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    All this is why I keep saying there needs to be dissent among mutants. Yes...the majority are going to love Krakoa...but there still need to be mutants who have a problem with it. Existing mutants like Justice and make new characters who may have an issue because their family members were killed by Magneto, the Brotherhood, Apocalypse, etc...and while they may have once thought of the X-Men as heroes...by standing up for the scumbag mutants they now view the X-Men as no better than the scumbags.
    Agreed. Like... Sitting next to Magneto... fine. He gets a pass. Pretty effed up childhood.

But sitting next to Apocalypse? The guy who unleashed the Four Horsemen who all killed?

Next to Sinister? Who sent in the Marauders and killed HUNDREDS of mutants - including CHILDREN?

They're cool just... forgiving that?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Agreed. Like... Sitting next to Magneto... fine. He gets a pass. Pretty effed up childhood.

But sitting next to Apocalypse? The guy who unleashed the Four Horsemen who all killed?

Next to Sinister? Who sent in the Marauders and killed HUNDREDS of mutants - including CHILDREN?

Yeah, Sinister, Selene and Apocalypse seem like big problems, Exodus and Shadow King and Shaw, less so, but still people who would have some serious mutant enemies because of their past deeds. Wasn't Dr. Nemesis also a literal Nazi, back in the day? He may have repented, but gosh, that's gotta be a fun room, with him and Magneto glaring at each other across it...

You get penny ante killers like Sabertooth treated like they are the second coming of the Antichrist, and meanwhile, actual genocidal madmen are sitting on the Quiet Council? (Oh, the irony, Sabertooth once committed a genocidal act, the Morlock Massacre, because he was hired to do so by one of the QC who sentenced him to the Sarlacc pit for being a mad killer!)

I am still under the assumption that something must be wonky with Krakoa, to account for not just the blithe acceptance of these super-nasties, but also various less in-your-face OOC bits, like suicidal mutant-hating Jay Guthrie apparently being fine being alive and mutant again (or the various mutants who may have died because of his cooperation with Stryker, such as Wallflower or all of the bus-victims, feel about him being back..., or even the mutants who cared about those victims, like Elixir or Hellion, for that matter. The line to kick Jay's ass should go around Krakoa, and Elixir should be in it twice, and yet, Elixir resurrected him!).

But, so far most of the questions that came up in the first few months were addressed eventually, and it seemed that the writers were well-aware of the issues that fans were concerned about. I'm fairly confident that various questions about why people are so accepting of various odd bedfellows is going to be addressed, just not all at once, and not right this second. It's gonna be a story. And we're just at the middle, not the end, where all the questions get answered.

All the cards aren't even in play yet, I suspect, so the game still has a ways to go before we see everyone's hand.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly...I even has some issue with Magneto in the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, Sinister, Selene and Apocalypse seem like big problems, Exodus and Shadow King and Shaw, less so, but still people who would have some serious mutant enemies because of their past deeds. Wasn't Dr. Nemesis also a literal Nazi, back in the day? He may have repented, but gosh, that's gotta be a fun room, with him and Magneto glaring at each other across it...

You get penny ante killers like Sabertooth treated like they are the second coming of the Antichrist, and meanwhile, actual genocidal madmen are sitting on the Quiet Council? (Oh, the irony, Sabertooth once committed a genocidal act, the Morlock Massacre, because he was hired to do so by one of the QC who sentenced him to the Sarlacc pit for being a mad killer!)

I am still under the assumption that something must be wonky with Krakoa, to account for not just the blithe acceptance of these super-nasties, but also various less in-your-face OOC bits, like suicidal mutant-hating Jay Guthrie apparently being fine being alive and mutant again (or the various mutants who may have died because of his cooperation with Stryker, such as Wallflower or all of the bus-victims, feel about him being back..., or even the mutants who cared about those victims, like Elixir or Hellion, for that matter. The line to kick Jay's ass should go around Krakoa, and Elixir should be in it twice, and yet, Elixir resurrected him!).

But, so far most of the questions that came up in the first few months were addressed eventually, and it seemed that the writers were well-aware of the issues that fans were concerned about. I'm fairly confident that various questions about why people are so accepting of various odd bedfellows is going to be addressed, just not all at once, and not right this second. It's gonna be a story. And we're just at the middle, not the end, where all the questions get answered.

All the cards aren't even in play yet, I suspect, so the game still has a ways to go before we see everyone's hand.
    And what happens to Selene after her appearances in the Captain America book? Does she go to the pit with Sabretooth? She killed humans in that storyline.

Considering Sabretooth's body count...I would not rate him as penny ante.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The problem is that the story of X-men is so complex and so convoluted that it’s hard to say if the problem will be eventually addressed or completely ignored because the authors don’t care, haven’t read the issues… or whatever.

It creates a dissonance between the readers who care and those who don’t care. You cannot read the same story.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I don't care for the Hickman run. There is basically no real life or death stakes anymore because of the cop-out resurrection protocol..
    When have has there been life or death stakes in an X-men book? The X-men come back from the dead so much before Krakoa that when characters come back there was meta-commentary on it by the characters in the book. They are no stakes when they wipe out any meaningful death The Ressurection protocol is just a streamline of the process of the thing we all expect anyways in comics at least we are getting interesting applications of comics gimmick now.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-27-2021 at 05:25 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    When have has there been life or death stakes in an X-men book? The X-men come back from the dead so much before Krakoa that when characters come back there was meta-commentary on it by the characters in the book. They are no stakes when they wipe out any meaningful death The Ressurection protocol is just a streamline of the process of the thing we all expect anyways in comics at least we are getting interesting applications of comics gimmick now.
    Yes, and forces the writers to be creative in upping the stakes. Not to mention it gives the chance for writers to explore what's like to live in a post-death society.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

It definitely feels like people are too okay with the decision for half the government to be mass murdering psychos. The given explanation is "well there are bad people in REAL counties governments too" but people like Mitch McConnell or other unpopular politicians aren't comparable here. This'd be like if Omar Mateen were secretary of State. "Bad people" in govt are not the same thing.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 03-27-2021 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Yes, and forces the writers to be creative in upping the stakes. Not to mention it gives the chance for writers to explore what's like to live in a post-death society.
    If anything writers became less creative relying too much on deaths and ressurrections

Which takes them definitively away from the human experience (they already don’t age…).

From a metaphor for minorities (which is not my theory), now, they are not even a metaphor for human beings. Jealousy? What jealousy? Polyamor is the solution.

What is the interest beyond an academic one?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am going to give an easy example.
    Thunderbird.

When the plane crashed into the mountain. The X-Men were sad. It was a loss.

If that story happened now?

There'd be no concern. Banshee wouldn't rescue him.

They'd just say, "He's crazy, that one."

= BOOM = into the mountain.

"Figured that might happen. Let's go home and resurrect him."

The impact of Thunderbird's death in that scenario is gone.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Ehhhh does it? Their "solution" for X of Swords was "oh no, the eternal resurrection machine conveniently doesn't work now!" as their way to add stakes.