Page 463 of 668 FirstFirst ... 363413453459460461462463464465466467473513563 ... LastLast
Results 6,931 to 6,945 of 10013
    Extraordinary Member

The Hellfire Club wasn't villains in the traditional, we will take over the world by force sense. They were rich and powerful business people who happened to be mutants and used their wealth and connections to get what they wanted.

I really want to see the Hellfire Club go back to that after this Krakoa thing is over. Shaw as Lord Imperial with 10 other mutants as the white/black chess pieces. As well a whole new Hellions as their mutant operatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Putting kids on cage is really a villain thing. I think could work better if only one was in the x-men side Emma or Magneto.
    It just make the x-men losing villains and then have to make humanity comlete a-holes to get antagonists
    Its called character growth and evolution. It really made no sense for them to remain villians and would have felt more forced and shown no growth. Having the Hellions slaughtered should have affected Emma and it did. She worked against Xavier and her kids were murdered. She tried something different by working with him and that helped her grow and change her tactics. She wasnt someone that was out for world domination or motivated by evil. Power within the HFC motivated her but she was over the HFC by that point as it no longer mattered

Having over 90% of mutantkind decimated was something that should have prompted Magneto to work with the X-men for the sake of the rest of mutantkind rather than continuing to fight them. His motive has always been about the preservation of mutants and it wouldnt have made sense for him to be in a position where he is risking killing them when there were so few left.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its called character growth and evolution. It really made no sense for them to remain villians and would have felt more forced and shown no growth. Having the Hellions slaughtered should have affected Emma and it did. She worked against Xavier and her kids were murdered. She tried something different by working with him and that helped her grow and change her tactics. She wasnt someone that was out for world domination or motivated by evil. Power within the HFC motivated her but she was over the HFC by that point as it no longer mattered
    Exactly. Plus, at this point she has been an anti-hero for more than twice as long as she has been a villain. Get over it.

Having over 90% of mutantkind decimated was something that should have prompted Magneto to work with the X-men for the sake of the rest of mutantkind rather than continuing to fight them. His motive has always been about the preservation of mutants and it wouldnt have made sense for him to be in a position where he is risking killing them when there were so few left.
    To be fair, he pretty much always worked with either Xavier or the X-men since the end of Morrison's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Exactly. Plus, at this point she has been an anti-hero for more than twice as long as she has been a villain. Get over it.

To be fair, he pretty much always worked with either Xavier or the X-men since the end of Morrison's run.
    Only in Excalibur though where he was in hiding and that was a pre-lude to HoM and the deciMation. I prefer the Magneto we got following that. When we saw Bunn try to make him a villian again towards the end of Blue, it didnt work and wasnt fitting to the character development that Magneto had gotten for several years up to that point. It was like all that was thrown away. Coincidentally Bunn did the same with Emma (although he was just picking up the mess that was started with IvX)
    Last edited by Havok83; 03-30-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    The Hellfire Club wasn't villains in the traditional, we will take over the world by force sense. They were rich and powerful business people who happened to be mutants and used their wealth and connections to get what they wanted.

I really want to see the Hellfire Club go back to that after this Krakoa thing is over. Shaw as Lord Imperial with 10 other mutants as the white/black chess pieces. As well a whole new Hellions as their mutant operatives.
    And what they wanted was to take over the earth, enslaving everyone else. Shaw and Emma were like Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    And what they wanted was to take over the earth, enslaving everyone else. Shaw and Emma were like Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell.
    Yes...but they were not out there twirling their mustaches and monologueing. They worked behind the scenes to accomplish their goals.

And along the line of thought of bringing back a real HFC....I want those annoying tweens to die...or suffer fates worse than death.

these two got back to their old ways many times; Character growth this isnt. More like writers like them and fans complain about a villain acting like a villain, so editor keep giving secnd, third, 4th chances.
    Let's not pretend that popularity isnt the biggest factor here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    these two got back to their old ways many times; Character growth this isnt. More like writers like them and fans complain about a villain acting like a villain, so editor keep giving secnd, third, 4th chances.
    Let's not pretend that popularity isnt the biggest factor here.
    Not until the ResurrXion era. Emma stopped being a villian in 1991 until IvX in 2017 and Magneto stopped being a villian in 2001 until 2018's Blue story where he went after Emma (which itself could be seen as a one off). When a character has been relatively consistent for near 30 or 20 years without a heel change, its safe to say they experienced growth and a heel turn feels OOC for where they are

Avengers vs xmen was amazing. X of swords was my favorite xmen event of all time. Before that it was... age of apocalypse! Followed closely by onslaught!

Not until the ResurrXion era. Emma stopped being a villian in 1991 until IvX in 2017 and Magneto stopped being a villian in 2001 until 2018's Blue story where he went after Emma (which itself could be seen as a one off). When a character has been relatively consistent for near 30 or 20 years without a heel change, its safe to say they experienced growth and a heel turn feels OOC for where they are
    Characters change I guess

Of course that on krakoa it matters very little. I hope that forward they stop trying to make every villain be on the good side. It limits the franchise too much
    Last edited by Rang10; 03-30-2021 at 03:22 PM.

Well, the “I’m bad, actually I’m not so bad, in fact I may be good, no actually, bad is funnier…” makes no sense from a psychological point of view. It damages the characters that the writers can’t make up their mind and respect what has been done previously.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Emma wasnt much of a villian. Outside of her role in the DPS, she settled into being more of an occasion antagonist, than actual villian.
    I think that's what made her a great villain (antagonist). Is that she was a bit grey... similar to how Magneto (used to be).

But I mean, Emma did kill Buttercup. That was pretty vicious. She definitely showed a side that she would do anything to ensure victory.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Only in Excalibur though where he was in hiding and that was a pre-lude to HoM and the deciMation. I prefer the Magneto we got following that. When we saw Bunn try to make him a villian again towards the end of Blue, it didnt work and wasnt fitting to the character development that Magneto had gotten for several years up to that point. It was like all that was thrown away. Coincidentally Bunn did the same with Emma (although he was just picking up the mess that was started with IvX)
    Agreed. He also got a mention Astonishing X-men by Whedon, when Danger went to Genosha to kill Xavier, Magneto send a magnetic pulse over the island so she could not use it to attack Charles but Xavier didn´t want him to reveal himself to the X-men so he fought Danger alone until the X-men were on the island. I have always wanted to see the characters remember this time, it would have been interesting to see Charles trying to explain to Magneto why exactly they had a murderous mutant AI invading Genosha again and why it was important for him alone to confront her

Agreed about Bunn he had a good handle on Magneto and Emma but he got criticism when he wanted to forcibly turn them back into villains, they just had way too many experiences with the X-men for this change to make sense in their case, I can see them trying different tactics but not trying to attack the X-men in any way, at this point they are more family to them than friends or a team they work with.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I think that's what made her a great villain (antagonist). Is that she was a bit grey... similar to how Magneto (used to be).

But I mean, Emma did kill Buttercup. That was pretty vicious. She definitely showed a side that she would do anything to ensure victory.
    No doubt killing innocent aninmals to make a girl be your hired assassin is really bad. Violence against animals is one of the most cowards and repugnant ways of violence. it only loses to violence againt kids and elders

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I agree but that was before she was send into a coma by Phoenix and then forced to see someone else kill every student she ever had in one of the worse ways possible, by absorbing their vital energy, that kind of thing can shake people to their core and make them really confront their decisions, after that she went to co-lead Generation X with Banshee and the rest is story, because she went there, then to Genosha, then to the School during Morrison´s run. She´s of course different to Storm, Jean or even Rogue in the way she approaches problems but we can´t say she´s the same character she was in the 80´s.

I think the change in Magneto and Emma has been organic because they had reasons for their change but also the other characters reacted in a realistic manner seeing them in their team, I believe this is something that has been lacking on Krakoa, I think it´s fair for the writers to inject a little more tension when the other villains or former villains are around but Emma and Magneto are a different matter because their change has been done and developed for years by different writers with the appropiate tension shown by other characters and right now feel more natural than if they suceddenly changed their ways for no real reason or just because the X-office needs villains.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 03-30-2021 at 04:27 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022