Page 468 of 668 FirstFirst ... 368418458464465466467468469470471472478518568 ... LastLast
Results 7,006 to 7,020 of 10013

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its stated in the text that he didnt want to risk killing everyone. Most times Scott hits someone, its with his vizor, which gives him a level of control over the intensity. Storm took away his vizor and without it, he wouldnt have the control and could fatally hit her, if he chose to continue the fight with his powers
    Riiiight. But he agreed to keep his Optic Blasts on Ultra Low Levels. Before she took off the visor. It's not like he agreed not to fight without powers too.

He still, very much, had the edge - and even took a few shots at her.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    digging at Cyclops?

people have to stop thinking that nothing bad can happen to Scott. He isn't perfect, Storm is just as good as he is.
    Bad stuff can happen to Cyclops, and I already said she was just as good in her way as he is in the very post you are quoting.

But don't rely on a message from Claremont, at least not from that particular issue. No way is he being an objective story teller in that moment, we all know the behind the scenes drama and how bitter he is towards a fictional character (Scott) to this very day for the actions of editorial and made the situation worse with his pettiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    You forget storm went and established her own school with logan which was more in line with xavier’s vision. Cyclops was fighting a war. You cannot really compare the two. And storm has always been as good as a leader as cyclops post claremont. You do not read xmen if you try and say writers don’t follow this when they have for thirty years now.
    I read and they didn't followed that. What war Cyclops was fighting? could only be for his dignity

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Bad stuff can happen to Cyclops, and I already said she was just as good in her way as he is in the very post you are quoting.

But don't rely on a message from Claremont, at least not from that particular issue. No way is he being an objective story teller in that moment, we all know the behind the scenes drama and how bitter he is towards a fictional character (Scott) to this very day for the actions of editorial and made the situation worse with his pettiness.
    I know the situation, but people act like Claremont committed a crime against Cyclops. Characters also have lose from time to time
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-04-2021 at 07:56 PM.

I read and they didn't followed that. What war Cyclops was fighting? could only be for his dignity
    He was fighting to protect mutants. Its the same fight he has always fought. The dynamic of the war changed with house of m and mutants were put on the defensive. Dawn of x changed that because thanks to moira, the mutants are now united on krakoa in an attempt to save humanity from itself.

Extraordinary Member

Claremont's message is that he was salty X-Factor was happening and his misguided Maddie marriage was interrupted, so he wrote in an issue digging at Cyclops.

Scott and Ororo are equally good leaders but I think that comes from all the great character work he did with them both while in the leadership position, and not this one dumb issue.
    Yes, indeed.

Thing is, he was completely right about X-Factor being a bad idea and the resurrection of Jean (at least the way the brought her back) ruined DPS. But acting like Scott personally betrayed him and being bitter about it to this day, to the point that he inflicted the love triangle of the damned on us, didn't help the situation at all. X-Factor was a black mark on Scott's character that we deal with to this day, but Claremont gets share of the blame for being petty about it in eye rolling ways (like wanting to remove Scott as Rachel's father and having it be a result of Jean + the Phoenix Force).

His bitterness at Maddie's treatment actually resulted in good work for her character. Her becoming Goblyn Queen was done for BS reasons, but his original plans for her were inherently stupid anyway. It was the right balance of her becoming evil but remaining sympathetic and as a result, way more interesting IMO than she was before. Or since unfortunately, other writers just did not write Maddie-as-Goblyn Queen nearly as well as Claremont, I think because he did it under duress.
    Yes, indeed....the sequel.

I know the situation, but people act like Claremont committed a crime against Cyclops. Characters also have lose from time to time
    Everybody failed Cyclops around that time. Claremont got the ball rolling by having him rush into a marriage with a woman he barely knew who looked like his dead fiancé, and everyone let their supposed "friend" just get married despite the very obvious mental breakdown he was having. It unsurprisingly got worse from there.

Claremont didn't commit crimes against Cyclops earlier when he wrote him as leader. He was effective as leader and worked great with the team, but could still be the first to be taken over by his Brood embryo or be taken out by Moira and a gun barrel in the Proteus arc. He wasn't flawless or protected. There is a clear difference between the eras where Claremont was a good writer for Cyclops and beyond where his opinion is so biased it no longer matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Riiiight. But he agreed to keep his Optic Blasts on Ultra Low Levels. Before she took off the visor. It's not like he agreed not to fight without powers too.

He still, very much, had the edge - and even took a few shots at her.
    I dont think you are getting my point. He only had the control to hit her at ultra low levels bc he had the visor. It helped regulate how strong the blasts were. Its why Scott initially felt confident going into that fight with that statement bc there was minimal risk to hurt her. With no visor to control his power, an unchecked blast would injure. He only shot at her with the visor on. The second he lost it, he wouldnt dare shooting at her.

He was fighting to protect mutants. Its the same fight he has always fought. The dynamic of the war changed with house of m and mutants were put on the defensive. Dawn of x changed that because thanks to moira, the mutants are now united on krakoa in an attempt to save humanity from itself.
    Everyone fought on it. Storm wasn't sitting on a chair on the mansion

Everybody failed Cyclops around that time. Claremont got the ball rolling by having him rush into a marriage with a woman he barely knew who looked like his dead fiancé, and everyone let their supposed "friend" just get married despite the very obvious mental breakdown he was having. It unsurprisingly got worse from there.

Claremont didn't commit crimes against Cyclops earlier when he wrote him as leader. He was effective as leader and worked great with the team, but could still be the first to be taken over by his Brood embryo or be taken out by Moira and a gun barrel in the Proteus arc. He wasn't flawless or protected. There is a clear difference between the eras where Claremont was a good writer for Cyclops and beyond where his opinion is so biased it no longer matters.
    Cyclops character soured for Claremont and I can't blame him. The character also soured for me in 2000s.
    But he never character assassinated him or anything like that.

Claremont had his better intentions to give him a happy ending, but it wasn't mean to be because it is a superhero story.
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-04-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Cyclops character soured for Claremont and I can't blame him. The character also soured for me in 2000s.

Claremont had his better intentions to give him a happy ending, but it wasn't mean to be because it is a superhero story
    Difference is Claremont had a direct hand in the souring. The execution of his happy ending arc contributed to dragging Scott's character through the mud.

Unlike us fans, he is directly responsible for his part in things going south (as with other writers). So I feel like his opinion on this character holds zero weight past a certain point.

Difference is Claremont had a direct hand in the souring. The execution of his happy ending arc contributed to dragging Scott's character through the mud.

Unlike us fans, he is directly responsible for his part in things going south (as with other writers). So I feel like his opinion on this character holds zero weight past a certain point.
    He had no intention to screw up Cyclops, it was the editors that had the worse choices. For example, Scott could continue to be married to Maddie.

It's unfair, because his opinion is very on point haha

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

He had no intention to screw up Cyclops, it was the editors that had the worse choices. For example, Scott could continue to be married to Maddie.

It's unfair, because his opinion is very on point haha
    But he HAD every intention to screw up Cyclops once Shooter decided to split Scott and Madelyne, and that's clear and undeniable.

Everyone fought on it. Storm wasn't sitting on a chair on the mansion
    Storm actually was sitting on a chair in Wakanda for many years.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I kind of had a hard time digesting how cold that scene Cyclops and Storms battle for leadership was. He was obviously not in good shape and sort felt like they were tossing way a emotionally distraught person. It just seemed so much like gloating about his predicament. I don't really blame Storm as CC can just kind of not get things at times on an emotion standpoint on certain topics though he can create great emotion in us in others. I also don't like how the team was acting in the booth and Wolverines obvious BS. The ANAD team hasn't been at odds with Cyclops at the time and for quite some time by that point. They were chummier. I know they did it for Maddie but they ended up turning Scott into the bad guy then Maddie so it was a bit of a waste. People think Woah! This woman looks JUST like Jean. There was an image of the Phoenix rapture but nooo its not jean. Weird things happen to them all the time but its not Jean or anything like that. She should have been Jean but I know they couldn't as Shooter felt that Jean did too much damage to deserve life so...
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 04-04-2021 at 09:35 PM.

BANNED

That’s a racist thing to say. Despite if you are white or whatever, making that assumption based on race is the definition of both classical and modern racism. It also funny that you say “the stereotypical writer”. From the posts i am seeing lately i think a lot of us need to have an honest conversation about race and how our own perceptions are driving us to be that which we accuse others of doing. I hate to be so blunt about it but this is like the fifth blanketed racist thing i have seen on here just tonight and i feel that it needs to be said.
    I didn't say anything racist. The stereotypical writer is a white male who views the X-Men through the ruby quartz. Storm is never going to have that kind of thing going for her, period.

Claremont: Storm is as good as Scott as leader.

Male writers: without Cyclops mutant kind would never survive.

It's like they didn't got Claremont's message
    Exaaaaaactly! Rang10 simply and concisely illustrates the point.

Storm is never going to approach that level of editorial importance. She just isn't. She literally cannot. If she got even a smidgen of that kind of writing, it would IMMEDIATELY be ignored.

Her fans have to go out of their way to make a fuckton of noise online just to have her not get knocked out in the first couple pages of a comic and be colored with brown skin.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 04-04-2021 at 10:38 PM.

Claremont: Storm is as good as Scott as leader.

Male writers: without Cyclops mutant kind would never survive.

It's like they didn't got Claremont's message
    Hum… Claremont is male too. It’s just a problem of women picture and their position in society. Claremont said he was surrounded by wonderful women (family, friends…) in his life.

The current authors didn’t take up Claremont’s idea of fraternity between all people, mutants and humans neither…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe