Page 478 of 667 FirstFirst ... 378428468474475476477478479480481482488528578 ... LastLast
Results 7,156 to 7,170 of 10001

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Its all in the name "rightclops." He was the de facto leader of the xmen stories were centered around him for years not just 26 or so issues as it was with kitty. The Xmen have always been more than one character but from Fraction up until he died in AvX the stories of mutantkind centered very much around him, whether it made sense to or not.

It is not about him being always right, even though the ironic thing in this discussion is we call him "rightclops" because many in the fandom assumed him to be right. I would say rightclops was far worse than kitty. When things like this occur you know you have entered cringe-worrthy territory:

This was so bad. It was peak elevating Cyclops

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    This was so bad. It was peak elevating Cyclops
    it sure was. I almost vomited re-reading this when looking for the scans to post here.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Its all in the name "rightclops." He was the de facto leader of the xmen stories were centered around him for years not just 26 or so issues as it was with kitty. The Xmen have always been more than one character but from Fraction up until he died in AvX the stories of mutantkind centered very much around him, whether it made sense to or not.

It is not about him being always right, even though the ironic thing in this discussion is we call him "rightclops" because many in the fandom assumed him to be right. I would say rightclops was far worse than kitty. When things like this occur you know you have entered cringe-worrthy territory:

The whole Cyclops was right which dubbed him Rightclops though happened with AvX and that aftermath was written by Bendis. That Fraction run was a precursor and happened 2 runs before Bendis'

I also think you meant his death in DOX, not IVX. I disagree that all stories revolved around him prior to his death. Schism split up the X-men and the Wolverine side of the franchise had its own thing that had nothing to do with Cyclops. When Bendis took over, Scott was only featured in his two books; he wasnt leading mutantkind nor overseeing all the teams as he had done in Fraction's run
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-06-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The whole Cyclops was right which dubbed him Rightclops though happened with AvX and that aftermath was written by Bendis. That Fraction run was a precursor and happened 2 runs before Bendis'
    whenever he was officially christened the name, him being depicted as "rightclops" was very much a thing well before bendis came along as indicated by the utopian scans above. that period is where his characterization took a huge nosedive, though arguably what he did to Maddie could be seen as even worse than this regarding his character taking a dip.

cyclops was leading his own offshoot of xmen who decided to follow him during bendis run which led up to that anticlimactic revolution at the capital.

yes dox before ivx storyline that was correct. how many years was that of stories centering around him being leader of the xmen and "right" versus kitty? now don't get me wrong kitty from gold was absolutely atrocious but there were definitely similarities in why they both came off unlikable during their respective times as leaders of the xmen. think he was far worse and its great that Hickman course corrected with his character as it was greatly needed imho. maybe he isn't center of the xverse as he was under fraction, bendis, Aaron, etc., but at least he is way more likeable.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 04-06-2021 at 04:21 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I read it and it was one sided. Only Scott talked about his problem with the relationship. If it wasn't one sided readers could never accept Emma and Scott pairing

Readers accepted Scott and Emma for their own reasons. And as mentioned, Logan criticized Scott for not opening up to Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Readers accepted Scott and Emma for their own reasons. And as mentioned, Logan criticized Scott for not opening up to Jean.
    They accepted because narrative painted Scott as good guy

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Beat me to it. It's all right there on the page, Jean just has other stuff going on instead of just pining after her failed marriage.

It's not nonsense. She was ascending to godhood, that was bound to impact how she views her Earthly relationships. She said she loved Scott and needed to let him go "because of what love says," because she was outgrowing him. It's also why she was able to forgive Emma, even though she was still pissed. She could literally see into Emma's soul. "Aloof" isn't an accurate reading of her mindset, IMO.

I also appreciated how her becoming Phoenix again was treated as a positive thing, as a response to the initial DPS. She repeatedly has to tell people "I'm not going crazy, I'm perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with me feeling more alive and awake than I've ever been" and the narrative backs her up.

ExodusCloak said they weren't wholesome, and that was part of the initial appeal to them as a couple.

Scott and Jean could come across as blandly wholesome. And I don't really put that down to the fault of either of the characters or the pairing, it should be much more interesting than it often comes across.
    LOis and Clark ar wholesome and they hve been making success for almost 100 years.

Gonna say that it was a bad take from Morrison. Male characters get all powerful and aren't some distant gods. Thor is a literal God!! recently he got many ups and still isn't completely aloof like Jean was.

She was pining after him, she still with him after all this time

it sure was. I almost vomited re-reading this when looking for the scans to post here.
    It was time for editors step up and rewrite this scene. No wonder Frction run was so awful
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-06-2021 at 04:11 PM.

I don’t really have anything against Cyclops but this made me laugh. They truly did the maximum here only to turn around and then overly vilify him when he was dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Scott was never tempted. He literally told her no and never gave any mixxed signals or play with fire when it came to her. Betsy was 100% the aggressor here. The most he ever did was find her attractive but thats not a sin and he never did anything to even try to act on that

He was really tempted

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I don’t really have anything against Cyclops but this made me laugh. They truly did the maximum here only to turn around and then overly vilify him when he was dead.
    lol. well to be fair a lot occurred between utopia and when he died that gave many heroes in story reasons to have a strong distaste for him. luckily we are well beyond that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I think this was around the same time Nick Lowe was X-men editor and said he saw the X-men franchise as the story of Cyclops. Clueless people and thinking like that is why you get scenes like this.

To get back on topic though.... making Psylocke a telekinetic during Revolution was awful and never should have happened. She should have just stayed a telepath. All the crap going on with her powers over the years is dumb.
    Last edited by Saturius; 04-06-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    I think this was around the same time Nick Lowe was X-men editor and said he saw the X-men franchise as the story of Cyclops. Clueless people and thinking like that is why you get scenes like this.
    well that explains a lot especially if he saw the franchise as his story. yea that is much worse than the gold-kitty run.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 04-06-2021 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post

To get back on topic though.... making Psylocke a telekinetic during Revolution was awful and never should have happened. She should have just stayed a telepath. All the crap going on with her powers over the years is dumb.
    I think Lowe was the group chief editor When Bendis took over, before it he was just editor. That says a lot about Scott being the protgonist over a entire era of X-men comics.

He was really tempted
    I loved the sexual tension between those two then. a very hot scene though jean had every right to at that point to beat both their a$$es!

I called him RightClops because Marvel's intended end for him, as a villainous Magneto-expy, didn't work any more than trying to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans.

I've gone on record as saying that Scott shouldn't have had such a big focus in that era of X-Men, but let's not pretend that there weren't other X-Books where he didn't appear in at all.

I'll give you the Magneto bowing thing, I think I know what they were trying to do for the narrative (characters aside) but this interaction should've been more understated.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Alan Davis is overrated as an artist. My first exposure to him was during his late 90s run on X-men. His art looked terrible especially in comparison to Kubert who was drawing Uncanny.