Page 487 of 658 FirstFirst ... 387437477483484485486487488489490491497537587 ... LastLast
Results 7,291 to 7,305 of 9863
    Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Lol it would be cool to write Avengers
    Well, that's technically not a no, lol.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 04-25-2021 at 06:03 AM. Reason: grammar
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Lol it would be cool to write Avengers
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Well, that's technically not a no, lol.
    I enjoyed your first arc on Thor, but felt you kinda lost your way as it went along.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member

I'm not a fan of the current status quo for the X-books and see a lot of wrong with it (not that the previous runs were better), narratively, continuity wise and in terms agreed upon morals (which are the whole basis for super heros). There are lengthly posts in which i tried to detail and reason why i feel that way. So i will skip it here.
    It's also unlikely that what i write is going to change anyone's mind anyway (this is the internet). So it's not my intention to ruin this for anyone who enjoys it. Feel free to dismiss or consider my view unreasonable.

However while thinking about what will come after this, after this direction has run it's course, Hickman's macro story has been told, etc., i remember that there is that "Moira X" reset button Hickman established and it gets me worried for what Marvel might gonna do to the main comic universe with it.

Now in the past i have questioned if it actualy exists, like Moira X being actualy a fake without her knowing it and it's just a red herring.

But looking over at the Avengers books and seeing how the writer is going through one terrible story/crossover idea after another. Wasting one or more established elements of the marvel universe each time, rewriting established history to suit the story and then throw it away again to go onto the next. How they are digging up the graves of old stories, concepts and characters for mediocre results.

I'm getting worried (in the sense of annoyance), that there is a "do what you want" attitude in the higher ups at the comic division of Marvel, because they have a big line wide reboot planned anyway. That they are itching to go New 52 on the whole Marvel Universe, perhaps in order to free themself of the "dreaded" continuity or try to reshape the comics in the image of the movie universe.

Dismissing 60+ years of continuity (with all it's good and bad) as old baggage and letting it all end on a shrug of what might likely end up a mediocre summer crossover.

Which would also mean that this whole current X-men direction will once again be pointless as nothing lasting COULD come from.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

My sort of unpopular oppinion is that I dislike the "Magneto was right" phrase from Morrisonīs run.

First because itīs reductive, Magneto has tried different approaches to the mutant/human problem going from war with human goverments, to refuges for mutants, to mutant nations, to involve himself on politics with the Hellfire Club to try to be part of the X-men and a headmaster of the New mutants and this phrase no only is unable to reflect that but it was used in a provocative manner to then show Magneto is just some type of Monster whose ideas never had any worth and he should have died a long time ago. So for me both the "Magneto was right" and the "Magneto is a complete monster" pov are extremes that donīt really reflect what the character is really about. So more nuanced takes on him are definitely my personal preference in handling his character.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    My sort of unpopular oppinion is that I dislike the "Magneto was right" phrase from Morrisonīs run.

First because itīs reductive, Magneto has tried different approaches to the mutant/human problem going from war with human goverments, to refuges for mutants, to mutant nations, to involve himself on politics with the Hellfire Club to try to be part of the X-men and a headmaster of the New mutants and this phrase no only is unable to reflect that but it was used in a provocative manner to then show Magneto is just some type of Monster whose ideas never had any worth and he should have died a long time ago. So for me both the "Magneto was right" and the "Magneto is a complete monster" pov are extremes that donīt really reflect what the character is really about. So more nuanced takes on him are definitely my personal preference in handling his character.
    It reflects on how Morrison saw the character and how he wanted readers to see him too, which ended in the whole "Magneto destroys New York and gleefully watches people ready to walk into crematoriums" storyline that was Planet X.

That Magneto was a villain and should only ever be seen as that and that anyone who believes in the anti-villain or heroic qualities of the character is a loon aswell.
    To quote the man himself:
    "What people often forget, of course, is that Magneto, unlike the lovely Sir Ian McKellen, is a mad old terrorist twat. No matter how he justifies his stupid, brutal behaviour, or how anyone else tries to justify it, in the end he's just an old bastard with daft, old ideas based on violence and coercion. I really wanted to make that clear at this time."

Which makes it funny how some readers who are supportive of the character eventualy picked "Magneto was Right" up as a sort of a "told you so" quote.

There is a reason i don't like the whole run and feel it has been nothing but destructive towards the X-men in general. Because while some characters and pieces from it where interesting, he overall just kept destroying things and dismiss established history and characterization as outdated or wrong.
    Essentialy forcing his vision upon other people's work and leaving nothing but rubble for someone else to clean up, which never really happend as the other grand destruction was just 2 years away by the hands of Bendis and Quesada.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post

I agree! Though it adds some interesting commentary when you look at kid omega and how he takes that view upon himself without fully thinking through what it means. I think its indicative of many youth “activists” who will take certain philosophies and only peel the onion so far until they find a way to express their frustrations despite logic and adults telling them otherwise. As for magneto, he is arguably the most complex character in all of comics so yeah i am sure he looks back on it with it regret which he often does with most of his things as he is a highly emotional person.

Extraordinary Member

If there's one problem I have with Morrison it's his tendency to take complicated villains or anti-heroes and reduce them to simplistic mustache-twirling villainy. He did the same thing to Talia Al Ghul, who went from being an anti-hero and possibly Batman's one true love to being just another maniacal homicidal terrorist with no chance for redemption.

Morrison didn't get Magneto. He didn't get Scott. He sort of gets Beast.

At least he wrote good telepaths (Emma, Jean and Xavier).

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    If there's one problem I have with Morrison it's his tendency to take complicated villains or anti-heroes and reduce them to simplistic mustache-twirling villainy. He did the same thing to Talia Al Ghul, who went from being an anti-hero and possibly Batman's one true love to being just another maniacal homicidal terrorist with no chance for redemption.
    Funny how all the writers who came of age in Thatcher's Britain seem to believe in the concept of true evil.

Haha, yeah, that would explain a lot. Morrison's run was entertaining, using shock value but it wasn't deep. At least is wasn't predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    What merit? It’s all about the whimsical idea of a celestial being.

It chose Rachel because she reminded it Jean Grey… The rest, I don’t know…
    Thats the problem. The Phoenix is the ultimate expression of privilege. It gives you the power to create or destroy on a cosmic scale. If its a universal job... that uses up life forces, its a waste to leave it in the hands of beings that just use it to create new clothes or worse deny the responsibility and store it away in a diamond heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Thats the problem. The Phoenix is the ultimate expression of privilege. It gives you the power to create or destroy on a cosmic scale. If its a universal job... that uses up life forces, its a waste to leave it in the hands of beings that just use it to create new clothes or worse deny the responsibility and store it away in a diamond heart.
    If there were a metaphor for destiny, it would be a superbeing, a deity for it has great consequences on our lives. And yet, what is it? Accident? Probability? The explanations made by religions is that gods are way above us and we cannot understand their ways. To me, the Phoenix can be as unfathomable as the rest.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It reflects on how Morrison saw the character and how he wanted readers to see him too, which ended in the whole "Magneto destroys New York and gleefully watches people ready to walk into crematoriums" storyline that was Planet X.

That Magneto was a villain and should only ever be seen as that and that anyone who believes in the anti-villain or heroic qualities of the character is a loon aswell.
    To quote the man himself:
    "What people often forget, of course, is that Magneto, unlike the lovely Sir Ian McKellen, is a mad old terrorist twat. No matter how he justifies his stupid, brutal behaviour, or how anyone else tries to justify it, in the end he's just an old bastard with daft, old ideas based on violence and coercion. I really wanted to make that clear at this time."

Which makes it funny how some readers who are supportive of the character eventualy picked "Magneto was Right" up as a sort of a "told you so" quote.

There is a reason i don't like the whole run and feel it has been nothing but destructive towards the X-men in general. Because while some characters and pieces from it where interesting, he overall just kept destroying things and dismiss established history and characterization as outdated or wrong.
    Essentialy forcing his vision upon other people's work and leaving nothing but rubble for someone else to clean up, which never really happend as the other grand destruction was just 2 years away by the hands of Bendis and Quesada.
    Agreed. I think part of the reason why Morrisonīs X-men run was so well received is because it was done during a time in which the X-men franchise was stuck in a repetitive cycle of repeating concepts from Claremontīs run and the early 90īs so in that sense I understand the appeal of his run because he did made an impact and introduced some interesting changes like the school no longer being a well keep secret but his treatment on the characters in some cases lets a lot to be desired, his tendency to forcibly imposse his view of the characters and undo and destroy concepts important to the franchise reflect badly on his run in perspective. It was at this time the concept of "humans are dying because mutants are being born was introduced" and "mutants are a different species" and I hated the idea of it, it completely defeats the purpose of even trying to get along if your mere existence is a danger for the very people you want to coxist with and is also factually false because if human and mutants were really different species no mutant could be born from a human couple.

I would say Bendis and Quesada did destroy a lot of characters with decimation but given they were not writting the X-men books directly I think the writers at the time managed to keep the franchise going and even to introduce interesting new concepts despite the situation. Second Coming is still my favorite recent crossover because a lot of heart and good writting went into developing it into a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    I agree! Though it adds some interesting commentary when you look at kid omega and how he takes that view upon himself without fully thinking through what it means. I think its indicative of many youth “activists” who will take certain philosophies and only peel the onion so far until they find a way to express their frustrations despite logic and adults telling them otherwise. As for magneto, he is arguably the most complex character in all of comics so yeah i am sure he looks back on it with it regret which he often does with most of his things as he is a highly emotional person.
    Kid Omega is a good example of how lack on Knowledge and just the wish to justify oneīs actions can get too far, especially when you are young.

I would not say Magneto is highly emotional person, more like his trauma sometimes takes the best of himself, he mostly tries to keep his feelings in check, he believes in trying everything to help mutants get in a better situation but this doesnīt mean heīs blind to the actions heīs taking, unlike kid omega he doesnīt really believes some of his actions can be justified even if he saw them as neccesary, heīs very similar to Logan in this sense, and at different points in his life he has addmited that he could and should have taken better decisions, one of the reasons I like him so much as a character is that heīs very self aware and also capable of change and honest with himself and others in ways thatīs hard to see in comics.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-26-2021 at 08:27 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Here's a controversial opinion this would have been a much better official X-men team under Duggan:

Cyclops
    Storm
    Wolverine
    Jean
    Pixie
    Nightcrwaler
    Sunfire
    Maggott

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Here's a controversial opinion this would have been a much better official X-men team under Duggan:

Cyclops
    Storm
    Wolverine
    Jean
    Pixie
    Nightcrwaler
    Sunfire
    Maggott
    That is magma on the cover. She showed up with Pixie in the issue. but i like sunfire better.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    That is magma on the cover. She showed up with Pixie in the issue. but i like sunfire better.
    Agreed. It's counterintuitive to show an earth elemental flying.