Page 488 of 672 FirstFirst ... 388438478484485486487488489490491492498538588 ... LastLast
Results 7,306 to 7,320 of 10077

Marvel stopped treating Magma as an earth elemental eons ago. She is basically the X-men's female Human Torch

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Morrison didn't get Magneto. He didn't get Scott. He sort of gets Beast.

At least he wrote good telepaths (Emma, Jean and Xavier).
    Is that an unpopular opinion? I've seen a lot of people on forums that despise Morrison's Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Haha, yeah, that would explain a lot. Morrison's run was entertaining, using shock value but it wasn't deep. At least is wasn't predictable.

Thats the problem. The Phoenix is the ultimate expression of privilege. It gives you the power to create or destroy on a cosmic scale. If its a universal job... that uses up life forces, its a waste to leave it in the hands of beings that just use it to create new clothes or worse deny the responsibility and store it away in a diamond heart.
    Phoenix isn't a universal job LOL. It was created a the maximum potential from Jean Grey. it i snot suppossed to be democratic

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It reflects on how Morrison saw the character and how he wanted readers to see him too, which ended in the whole "Magneto destroys New York and gleefully watches people ready to walk into crematoriums" storyline that was Planet X.

That Magneto was a villain and should only ever be seen as that and that anyone who believes in the anti-villain or heroic qualities of the character is a loon aswell.
    To quote the man himself:
    "What people often forget, of course, is that Magneto, unlike the lovely Sir Ian McKellen, is a mad old terrorist twat. No matter how he justifies his stupid, brutal behaviour, or how anyone else tries to justify it, in the end he's just an old bastard with daft, old ideas based on violence and coercion. I really wanted to make that clear at this time."

Which makes it funny how some readers who are supportive of the character eventualy picked "Magneto was Right" up as a sort of a "told you so" quote.

There is a reason i don't like the whole run and feel it has been nothing but destructive towards the X-men in general. Because while some characters and pieces from it where interesting, he overall just kept destroying things and dismiss established history and characterization as outdated or wrong.
    Essentialy forcing his vision upon other people's work and leaving nothing but rubble for someone else to clean up, which never really happend as the other grand destruction was just 2 years away by the hands of Bendis and Quesada.
    I really hate all thse "x character is right" A lot of in between is lost on it. Magneto for sure is not someone that people should emulate as being a hero

I liked that Morrison made Jean being in control of Phoenix, but jetisoned it so fast without anything memorable that It didn't stick. Soon characers were telling about Jean losing control of the Phoenix and going dark Phoenix.

I'm agree with your points, Im most of times just lukewarm to his run, I think it was the start of x-men going south
    Quesada getting to be EiC was also very bad for x-men in general.
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-26-2021 at 11:13 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Morrison's Magneto is not what I'd consider ideal, but I can enjoy it well enough when reading the run in its own context. While I vastly prefer Claremont's Magneto as the definitive take, even his Magneto is kind of jarring compared to the Silver Age version. His take was way better than the generic villain of the Silver Age, but as part of the same continuity it doesn't really mesh. He just had 17 years to build on it though, so it was cemented as definitive. But as Morrison was factoring in his original Silver Age antics and whatever crap he got up to in the 90s, a less charitable reading of Magneto's character works within the context of their run. Even now, some readers think Magneto is getting let off the hook too much by working with the X-Men and being on the Council.

Though in Morrison's run, he was being controlled by Sublime, who was ramping up all his worst tendencies. If the editors knew what they were doing, it would have been Magneto in Planet X, and they could have resurrected him purged of Sublime. Much more elegant and simple compared to whatever this "it was Xorn all along, but wait there is another Xorn" BS that sprung up is. Considering Morrison left an out for them that they ignored and then editorial absolved Magento completely anyway, I don't think the run was all that destructive as far as he was concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Phoenix isn't a universal job LOL. It was created a the maximum potential from Jean Grey. it i snot suppossed to be democratic

I really hate all thse "x character is right" A lot of in between is lost on it. Magneto for sure is not someone that people should emulate as being a hero

I liked that Morrison made Jean being in control of Phoenix, but jetisoned it so fast without anything memorable that It didn't stick. Soon characers were telling about Jean losing control of the Phoenix and going dark Phoenix.

I'm agree with your points, Im most of times just lukewarm to his run, I think it was the start of x-men going south
    Quesada getting to be EiC was also very bad for x-men in general.
    I saw it as an abstract entity holding auditions for a spokesperson. Kinda how Death has Hela representing the brand. Jean might have been favoured because she's trending... but its been a need-based selection, and choosing to help the most pathetic candidate rise up seems like democratic trait. But like someone else said. Its not logical. Chaos bringer is its nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    I saw it as an abstract entity holding auditions for a spokesperson. Kinda how Death has Hela representing the brand. Jean might have been favoured because she's trending... but its been a need-based selection, and choosing to help the most pathetic candidate rise up seems like democratic trait. But like someone else said. Its not logical. Chaos bringer is its nickname.
    You sw it where on avengers books? haha Jean got the phoenix because she deserved it, it was her own potential. What i don't like is people stealing her things, Phoenix belongs to Jean

The Phoenix Force should have remained Jean's, maybe Rachel's. Marvel needs to stop doing this, thinking that they're building on the lore when they're just degrading interesting concepts - take the Symbiotes for example. More power to those who like the developments, but why does Venom need to have ties to a dark god? Leave the Phoenix Force and Symbiotes alone.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    The Phoenix Force should have remained Jean's, maybe Rachel's. Marvel needs to stop doing this, thinking that they're building on the lore when they're just degrading interesting concepts - take the Symbiotes for example. More power to those who like the developments, but why does Venom need to have ties to a dark god? Leave the Phoenix Force and Symbiotes alone.
    This post is in the wrong thread because not only do I find it not controversial I also find it to be filled with factual statements lol. Phoenix is way overused and the Venom symbiotes are closing in fast. I am okay with people other than Jean (Wolverine wore it better) and Eddy rocking the suit but calm down already Marvel
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    This post is in the wrong thread because not only do I find it not controversial I also find it to be filled with factual statements lol. Phoenix is way overused and the Venom symbiotes are closing in fast. I am okay with people other than Jean (Wolverine wore it better) and Eddy rocking the suit but calm down already Marvel
    Thanks

I think those instances should be very rare, that way readers can actually appreciate it when it happens.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I do agree they give out the phoenix a bit too freely now. But yeah there have been some pretty cool phoenix besides jean though i still think she remains the best phoenix.

Maybe they could have been Jean's disciples?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Thanks

I think those instances should be very rare, that way readers can actually appreciate it when it happens.
    Quoting all for continuity...

The PF needs to do away for about 2o years real time and not come back.

Same with all the symbiotes except Venom, Carnage and maybe one other...and no more should be intorduced for the same 20 years as the Phoenix.

Amazing Member

Speaking of characters that need to go away for 20 years real time and not come back, Madelyne Pryor. I really hope that death sticks. I do not want to see that character back unless it's to immediately get killed off on another anticlimactic fashion.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Morrison's Magneto is not what I'd consider ideal, but I can enjoy it well enough when reading the run in its own context. While I vastly prefer Claremont's Magneto as the definitive take, even his Magneto is kind of jarring compared to the Silver Age version. His take was way better than the generic villain of the Silver Age, but as part of the same continuity it doesn't really mesh. He just had 17 years to build on it though, so it was cemented as definitive. But as Morrison was factoring in his original Silver Age antics and whatever crap he got up to in the 90s, a less charitable reading of Magneto's character works within the context of their run. Even now, some readers think Magneto is getting let off the hook too much by working with the X-Men and being on the Council.
    I thought Morrison had a grudge because people liked Mckellen too much but comic Magneto is 1) Way different to Fox Magneto 2) Fox Magneto never was the reason why Magneto became a big character in comics in the first place.

I will never get this idea of "Magneto is staying way too much with the X-men and heīs such a bad influence on them"as if he joined them a year or so ago so I am like he has been there working with Xavier and the X-men and other marvel heros since before HoM and even in the 90īs he team up with them to stop Apocalypse and in the 80īs he helped fight the heros on secret wars, fought the Beyonder twice and lead the school and was a teacher for the new mutants, why does it surprise you heīs on the Quiet council? He has been there all along.

Though in Morrison's run, he was being controlled by Sublime, who was ramping up all his worst tendencies. If the editors knew what they were doing, it would have been Magneto in Planet X, and they could have resurrected him purged of Sublime. Much more elegant and simple compared to whatever this "it was Xorn all along, but wait there is another Xorn" BS that sprung up is. Considering Morrison left an out for them that they ignored and then editorial absolved Magento completely anyway, I don't think the run was all that destructive as far as he was concerned.
    I think Morrison shoot himself in the foot by making his stories so focused on his little corner that it was really easy to undo them after the fact and marvel didnīt think it was neccesary to make it elegant, they just wanted to retcon Xorn but also keep him because they liked Morrison characterization of him. You know itīs serious when they give Magneto to Claremont again so he would fix him after that one and Chris was like "he never leave Genosha, he was killed and was brought back by mysterious sources end of the discussion . I think they should have let it lie there but then everybody wanted to fix this from their pov.

About Phoenix I donīt think marvel is overusing it, I think they are using it as a kind of Infinity Gem to give characters intant cosmic powers but the original take on the Phoenix as a cosmic entity in itīs own right itīs way more interesting that the recent take they are making.

I also like Jean or Rachel as phoenix more tha any other character.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-26-2021 at 09:38 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Unpopular opinion: the mutant metaphor has failed as an analogy and has not evolved since the 1970s because the primary writers for the X-Men lack the factual knowledge and nuanced experiences of actual racism.