Page 50 of 657 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150550 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

The artist for X-men Red sucks and is making me not want to pick up the book.

Cyclos is underrated compared to Captain America.
    in truth, Cap is a laboratory rat with a shield. It is very beneficial to have the name of country as a codename.
    I liked Jean's "you stole my man bitch ill kill you" attitude towards Emma.
    Now that Jean said "farewell" to Scott, she is free to start a romance with Namor on the pages of "X-Men Red".
    According to Marve writers, no woman in their universe can resist a violent man that kills civilians screaming angrily at their faces. Why would Jean be different? If this puts the kibosh on chronic Namor/Scott/Jean/Logan/emma love triangles then so be it.
    Rant
    Jean really is the worst character in Marvel, isn't she?
    Scemma forever Triangle never.
    Scott needs an alpha female like Bettsy.
    What woman wouldn't be attracted to Scott? He's 100% alpha male who tells the Avengers to go f*#& themselves.
    I want cyclops back free from any ginger women to be his own man.
    Logically..
    TeenClops should have lusted for Emma & Cuckoos. Especially Stepford Cuckoos! They're teenage triplet clones of his hottest ex, how could he not be?
    End of rant

i hated Xmen Battle of the atom event. it was weird as hell.

Mystique And Xavier is less gross than Mystiqueverine.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    i hated Xmen Battle of the atom event. it was weird as hell.

Mystique And Xavier is less gross than Mystiqueverine.
    I think House of M Mystique was the best romantic interest Wolverine ever had, but then, in House of M both were Shield agents, and Mystique wasn't a villain.

I also think, thanks to Age of Apocalypse, than Logan and Jean can work perfectly well together as a power couple, but many hate that idea.

I liked Scott and Emma, but it was out of character for Emma to like Scott imo. Before she seemed to be interested in men of the Shaw-Magneto-Banshee age group. They had to deage her a decade, from someone in her mid 30s to 27 (the age Morrison gave her).

Quote Originally Posted by oldscottsummers View Post
    I liked Jean's "you stole my man bitch ill kill you" attitude towards Emma.
    I don't understand the hate that some characters can get but this was one of my favorite parts when I was reading New X-Men. The way Jean comes back and just storms into Emma's mind finding them together and then proceeds to mess Emma's mind up was awesome. With that said, I really do love Emma as much as Jean. That part was just so badass.

Spectacular Member

I genuinely liked Joseph, I found his and Rogue's romance extremely endearing.

I liked young Iceman's outing. I found the "full gay" comment hilarious. Most of my mates would have done the same thing if they had telepathic powers.

I miss Xavier leading the X-Men and the X-Men being anonymous. Basically, I want the X-Men back to the state they were pre-Morrison (Even though I loved his run). I also miss the old X-Mansion and I don't love hundreds of students living there.

I don't miss Cyclops at all. I always found him extremely boring. Let him stay dead.

I want them to retcon that the Betsy who got brought back in Sisterhood arc was actually Revanche and I want the real (British) Betsy back. To be clear though, I don't mind the angry ninja lady and I'm all up for them keeping her around. God knows they need minority characters.

I want Claremont back writing an X-Team, like he did with Uncanny 444.

I want Forge and Storm back together.

Phew!! That was cathartic!!

Edit: Oh, and I REALLY hate Anole
    Last edited by tornshattered; 02-12-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Mighty Member

My unpopular/controversial opinions on the X-universe:

1) Scemma was a bad idea and never should've happened. It reduced Emma from a ruthless, strategic-minded, high-functioning sociopath and peer of Shaw, Xavier, and Magneto to a stereotypical "mean girl" who, deep down, is really just a lonely, sad little girl who wants to be loved. Having Scott cheat on Jean with Emma utterly destroyed his credibility as a heroic character (again).

2) The retroactive villainization of Xavier was a mistake and fundamentally broke the concept of the X-Men. Revealing Xavier to have been a slaveowner--i.e. his imprisonment and enslavement of Danger--and, to a somewhat lesser extent, his mindwipe of the X-Men as revealed in Deadly Genesis destroyed his moral credibility and, by extension, that of his dream of peaceful mutant-human integration. After those stories, it no longer made sense in-universe for the X-Men to follow him, invoke his name, or use the institutions he built. It'd be like if Martin Luther King was revealed to have kept a slave in his basement--the Civil Rights movement would've had to have been rebooted from scratch under a different leader unaffiliated with King.

3) Tying into points 1 and 2, both Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon's runs are overrated.

4) Louise Simonson and Scott Lobdell's runs are underrated. Similarly, Claremont's second run (Revolution (2000)-X-Treme X-Men-back to Uncanny (2004)) is also underrated.

5) Jean Grey and Phoenix should've been separate characters from the very beginning. Instead of revamping Jean into Phoenix, Claremont and Cockrum should have created Phoenix as an entirely new character. That way, after Phoenix's death, Jean could've been written back into the books without issue.

6) In lieu of 5, Madelyne Pryor should've been revealed to be Jean resurrected. As originally conceived--i.e. as a random Jean lookalike, both she and her marriage to Scott were bad ideas and made Scott come off like a creepy, obsessed weirdo.

7) Post-Acts of Vengeance Psylocke is an Elektra knock-off.

8) The multiple cullings of large swaths of characters during the "extinction" era were overkill (pun intended), poorly to mediocrely handled, and a waste of characters. The Genoshan genocide, M-Day, the Purifiers' massacre of Xavier's students, the Church of Humanity crucifying mutants, etc. In particular, the Genoshan genocide--which involved more deaths than the real-world Holocaust--and its consequences were drastically underplayed in the Marvel Universe. M-Day shouldn't have happened or at least not been permanent.

9) Cyclops was a better, more sympathetic character before Morrison's run.

10) The central conflict in AvX between the X-Men and the Avengers was contrived, non-sensical, and out of character given the team's histories.

11) The libertine sexual subtext laced throughout Claremont's stories--the BDSM/mind control, underage romance, etc.--was weird and kinda squick. At points, he also veered into the "all women are bisexual" stereotype.

12) Maggott was a unique and interesting character.

13) Sebastian Shaw should've stayed dead after X-Factor vol. 1 #67. Magneto should've stayed dead after X-Men vol. 2 #3. Mojo should've stayed dead after X-Men vol. 2 #11. Apocalypse should've stayed dead after Search for Cyclops. Mr. Sinister should've stayed dead after Carey's run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post

1) Scemma was a bad idea and never should've happened. It reduced Emma from a ruthless, strategic-minded, high-functioning sociopath and peer of Shaw, Xavier, and Magneto to a stereotypical "mean girl" who, deep down, is really just a lonely, sad little girl who wants to be loved. Having Scott cheat on Jean with Emma utterly destroyed his credibility as a heroic character (again).

2) The retroactive villainization of Xavier was a mistake and fundamentally broke the concept of the X-Men. Revealing Xavier to have been a slaveowner--i.e. his imprisonment and enslavement of Danger--and, to a somewhat lesser extent, his mindwipe of the X-Men as revealed in Deadly Genesis destroyed his moral credibility and, by extension, that of his dream of peaceful mutant-human integration. After those stories, it no longer made sense in-universe for the X-Men to follow him, invoke his name, or use the institutions he built. It'd be like if Martin Luther King was revealed to have kept a slave in his basement--the Civil Rights movement would've had to have been rebooted from scratch under a different leader unaffiliated with King.

3) Tying into points 1 and 2, both Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon's runs are overrated.

4) Louise Simonson and Scott Lobdell's runs are underrated. Similarly, Claremont's second run (Revolution (2000)-X-Treme X-Men-back to Uncanny (2004)) is also underrated.

5) Jean Grey and Phoenix should've been separate characters from the very beginning. Instead of revamping Jean into Phoenix, Claremont and Cockrum should have created Phoenix as an entirely new character. That way, after Phoenix's death, Jean could've been written back into the books without issue.

6) In lieu of 5, Madelyne Pryor should've been revealed to be Jean resurrected. As originally conceived--i.e. as a random Jean lookalike, both she and her marriage to Scott were bad ideas and made Scott come off like a creepy, obsessed weirdo.

7) Post-Acts of Vengeance Psylocke is an Elektra knock-off.

8) The multiple cullings of large swaths of characters during the "extinction" era were overkill (pun intended), poorly to mediocrely handled, and a waste of characters. The Genoshan genocide, M-Day, the Purifiers' massacre of Xavier's students, the Church of Humanity crucifying mutants, etc. In particular, the Genoshan genocide--which involved more deaths than the real-world Holocaust--and its consequences were drastically underplayed in the Marvel Universe. M-Day shouldn't have happened or at least not been permanent.

9) Cyclops was a better, more sympathetic character before Morrison's run.

10) The central conflict in AvX between the X-Men and the Avengers was contrived, non-sensical, and out of character given the team's histories.

11) The libertine sexual subtext laced throughout Claremont's stories--the BDSM/mind control, underage romance, etc.--was weird and kinda squick. At points, he also veered into the "all women are bisexual" stereotype.

12) Maggott was a unique and interesting character.

13) Sebastian Shaw should've stayed dead after X-Factor vol. 1 #67. Magneto should've stayed dead after X-Men vol. 2 #3. Mojo should've stayed dead after X-Men vol. 2 #11. Apocalypse should've stayed dead after Search for Cyclops. Mr. Sinister should've stayed dead after Carey's run.

I disagree with Shaw having to stay dead, because I think Fitzroy, Shinobi Shaw, Sienna Blaze etc and their upstarts story, was a pretty **** nonsensical story and they were all pretty much failed characters. Killing the Hellions for them wasn't worth it. Nobody even knows what the prize they were competing for is.
    In Necrosha Shaw tells Shinobi something like "you were always a disappointment", and I think they refer to his "failed character who never catched on in spite of getting a push" status.
    PAD with his Ruby Summers story is the first person to make something interesting with Fitzroy, and he established that he only became an immoral crazy murderer because he was resurrected without a soul by Layla Miller.

For me the best moment for the death of Magneto would have been the Morrison run, the issue in which they rescue Lorna in the ruins of Genosha. That was a real 10/10 excellent issue.
    No important mutant died in Genosha, only some of the less popular Acolytes, like the Seamus reptile man we saw recently in Phoenix resurrection as an illusion.
    But M-Day did real harm to the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post

AvX was very disappointing and I agree with you there. Such a letdown.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

BANNED

Wolverine is overrated and I never miss him and wish he was still dead

Teen jean(time displaced) is one of the most obnoxious characters I ever read

I don't like Kitty and think colossus deserves better

they haven't written Mystique properly since the 80s

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    That's fact. I recently wrote to Marvel about how they simplified Mystique to a mustache twirling psycho, rather than the more complex & logical character she was. They need to bring her back to that. Or find a way to explain her wacky mental state - descent. Mystique of the 80's was a more respectable character. If they have to, find a way to bring back Destiny if it'll help bring her back to Earth.

I guess an unpopular opinion for me. Pairings I tend to like the weird pairings that many fans don't. lol

I love RoguePool Didn't expect it to get far, but would've liked seeing more of it before jumping back to the dead horse that was ROMY. Don't hate Romy, but RoguePool was something different for once. So would've been nice if the ship sailed for at least a mini arc before getting thrown in the trash. lol But Duggan's resolution was good under the circumstances. So I am not angry.

Creed x Monet. Given the rage when Uncanny was running, I knew I was a minority who liked those two as a couple. I am legit angry about that getting trashed. If I am correct -I usually am with bad stuff, Creed x Mystique is returning in May. At least ROMY makes sense. Creed x Mystique does not. A ass-pulled mess by Aaron that every modern writer seems determined to keep reviving.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-12-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    As soon as Destiny was gone(and Claremont, really. ), so was she...

But that goes for the whole franchise, basically!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member

I like X-Men Gold. Pretty much everyone else on the boards seems to act like it's awful and they all have their reasons. I just don't give a crap about any of those reasons. I'm a simple man who just wants a little nostalgia. Sometimes I just want to see familiar characters fight aliens and some form of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I disagree with Shaw having to stay dead, because I think Fitzroy, Shinobi Shaw, Sienna Blaze etc and their upstarts story, was a pretty **** nonsensical story and they were all pretty much failed characters. Killing the Hellions for them wasn't worth it. Nobody even knows what the prize they were competing for is.
    In Necrosha Shaw tells Shinobi something like "you were always a disappointment", and I think they refer to his "failed character who never catched on in spite of getting a push" status.
    PAD with his Ruby Summers story is the first person to make something interesting with Fitzroy, and he established that he only became an immoral crazy murderer because he was resurrected without a soul by Layla Miller.
    Aw, I liked Shinobi. This seems like the place to admit it (if I haven't already). I think he had a lot of potential. He wasn't as violent as the rest of the Upstarts and some of what he was doing was to protect his mother. There was also a hint of two that he wasn't as much of a drunkard as he acted. I wanted to know more!