Page 504 of 664 FirstFirst ... 4404454494500501502503504505506507508514554604 ... LastLast
Results 7,546 to 7,560 of 9959

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Krakoa is good. People need to get over the idea that it's some cautionary tale about how mutants shouldn't get to be happy and powerful, or that they're all brainwashed clones acting OOC or whatever. HOX was years ago already. They're not gonna basically retcon away an entire era.

Also: Xavier/Magneto/Moira/some of the Quiet Council being shady doesn't mean Krakoa is bad and needs to be taken down. Does anyone ever say that a country should... Cease to exist as a country because the president and/or the government is corrupt?
    Actually yes..to name a couple just in my lifetime..East Germany..the Soviet Union..the heads/governments/councils of these countries were shady and just categorically not good..to put it mildly..and many people all over the world believed they shouldn't exist..and the former no longer exists..unfortunately the latter didn't break up even more and still exists, albeit, in a slightly different way..and on the flipside, Russia now thinks certain countries that did break off shouldn't exist and should be part of the Russian "Republic" again (a republic which includes and condones Chechnya by the way)..and it's not just governments that think these things, it's the people too

Does anyone think North Korea should exist in it's current state?..or any country that is highly oppressive where just trying to leave is considered "escaping" and you can be shot just for trying it? how about any number of countries that criminalize being gay? What about countries that condone "honor killings"?

I'm not saying that Krakoa is comparable in any way to the countries and things I mentioned..but it shouldn't be a mystery why people don't want their favorite "superheroes" to be shady or be complicit in forming a country under shady circumstances without (for the most part) any question. There are supremacy aspects sprinkled throughout these books. I'm not going to go through all the troubling things but it should be easy to see why people might not want their favorite characters involved in something like this.

Also, with so many questionable things, I don't see how anyone can fault people for thinking this could be/should be a cautionary tale...if a cautionary tale is not the intention, they're not really doing a great job conveying it.

As irrational as X-men fandom can be, this hardly seems like an irrational point of view

Defending it (Krakoa) without question is troubling though..that goes for characters and fans
    Last edited by ColossusFan; 07-12-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Oh look at that pose. Sinister is such a drama queen, even when he's unconscious!

Quote Originally Posted by ColossusFan View Post
    Actually yes..to name a couple just in my lifetime..East Germany..the Soviet Union..the heads/governments/councils of these countries were shady and just categorically not good..to put it mildly..and many people all over the world believed they shouldn't exist..and the former no longer exists..unfortunately the latter didn't break up even more and still exists, albeit, in a slightly different way..and on the flipside, Russia now thinks certain countries that did break off shouldn't exist and should be part of the Russian "Republic" again (a republic which includes and condones Chechnya by the way)..and it's not just governments that think these things, it's the people too

Does anyone think North Korea should exist in it's current state?..or any country that is highly oppressive where just trying to leave is considered "escaping" and you can be shot just for trying it? how about any number of countries that criminalize being gay? What about countries that condone "honor killings"?

I'm not saying that Krakoa is comparable in any way to the countries and things I mentioned..but it shouldn't be a mystery why people don't want their favorite "superheroes" to be shady or be complicit in forming a country under shady circumstances without (for the most part) any question. There are supremacy aspects sprinkled throughout these books. I'm not going to go through all the troubling things but it should be easy to see why people might not want their favorite characters involved in something like this.

Also, with so many questionable things, I don't see how anyone can fault people for thinking this could be/should be a cautionary tale...if a cautionary tale is not the intention, they're not really doing a great job conveying it.

As irrational as X-men fandom can be, this hardly seems like an irrational point of view

Defending it (Krakoa) without question is troubling though..that goes for characters and fans
    This, is the most reasonable reply I have seen on these boards in quite many weeks

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

It's incredible to me how much Krakoa Era has brought out politically divergent takes

Basically right-wing conservatives hate it, and don't understand how former mutant villains are being cooperated with, or why mutants are not simply trying to peacefully assimilate like they used to

Lefties praise it because it shows marginalized folks taking their power in their own hands, building something for themselves and not allowing the apathetic/hostile majority of humans to divide mutants

I'm in favor of Krakoa era bringing in moral ambiguity but I think the side books have let it down.

Marauders could have been about Emma Frost corrupting Kathryn Pryde as she becomes a more "practical" (ruthless) businesswoman. Instead it simply made Sebastian Shaw a 1-dimensional evil cartoon and got Emma as a bestie of everyone again, and Kitty/Kate is relatively stagnant and in her old box still

Hellions had a great opportunity to bring in Maddy Pryor, a really revolutionary character in many ways. Instead she is shot and killed 2 issues after appearing. Lmao. And Greycrow is the main antihero of the book I gather, well OK?

The retreat of making a "team of heroes" in the new X-Men book is a further case in point, and shows backing away from the innovative ideas Hickman initially laid out. Where Krakoa was about an almost anthropology of mutantkind and being more realistic about things. Now we're going back to bright dividing lines of Shiny Good Heroes punching down Baddies.

So I feel like all the critiques the anti Krakoa folk keep saying are like... not even there anymore? Krakoa Era isn't even doing the stuff you're so outraged about, they've already retreated in so many ways from the potential it had.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    It's incredible to me how much Krakoa Era has brought out politically divergent takes

Basically right-wing conservatives hate it, and don't understand how former mutant villains are being cooperated with, or why mutants are not simply trying to peacefully assimilate like they used to

Lefties praise it because it shows marginalized folks taking their power in their own hands, building something for themselves and not allowing the apathetic/hostile majority of humans to divide mutants

I'm in favor of Krakoa era bringing in moral ambiguity but I think the side books have let it down.

Marauders could have been about Emma Frost corrupting Kathryn Pryde as she becomes a more "practical" (ruthless) businesswoman. Instead it simply made Sebastian Shaw a 1-dimensional evil cartoon and got Emma as a bestie of everyone again, and Kitty/Kate is relatively stagnant and in her old box still

Hellions had a great opportunity to bring in Maddy Pryor, a really revolutionary character in many ways. Instead she is shot and killed 2 issues after appearing. Lmao. And Greycrow is the main antihero of the book I gather, well OK?

The retreat of making a "team of heroes" in the new X-Men book is a further case in point, and shows backing away from the innovative ideas Hickman initially laid out. Where Krakoa was about an almost anthropology of mutantkind and being more realistic about things. Now we're going back to bright dividing lines of Shiny Good Heroes punching down Baddies.

So I feel like all the critiques the anti Krakoa folk keep saying are like... not even there anymore? Krakoa Era isn't even doing the stuff you're so outraged about, they've already retreated in so many ways from the potential it had.
    This is just as inaccurate as saying that right-wingers hate The Last Skywalker while left-wingers love it. Unless you have some proof that the people complaining are right-wing and the people praising it are left-wing it's just speculation. I could just as easily come up with reasons for right-wingers to love Krakoa and for left-wingers to hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I’m not saying that this theme (dubious moral) is uninteresting but it has been done at the expense of the characterizations of long-standing characters. It has been done in a unsubtle way: too easily heroes have been sold to the idea of Krakoa and working with former enemies… The shift from “we are heroes” to “we are/need to be morally grey” never happened. One day, Krakoa was just there…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Krakoa is good. People need to get over the idea that it's some cautionary tale about how mutants shouldn't get to be happy and powerful, or that they're all brainwashed clones acting OOC or whatever. HOX was years ago already. They're not gonna basically retcon away an entire era.

Also: Xavier/Magneto/Moira/some of the Quiet Council being shady doesn't mean Krakoa is bad and needs to be taken down. Does anyone ever say that a country should... Cease to exist as a country because the president and/or the government is corrupt?
    Well, it had a good start.

Who is arguing or implying that this era is a "cautionary tale about how mutants shouldn't get to be happy and powerful"? As for the brainwashed bit, that's mostly been to try to explain, tongue-in-cheek, why some characters are acting oddly - which is partially personal interpretation, partially character history/continuity.

I admittedly say "Krakoa" when I mean to refer to the QC, that's my bad. And yes, there are plenty of arguments made about how certain countries should be dismantled simply because of the president/leader/government. I'm an American, that argument is made about America itself every year for the last 10 years or so by like half the country all based on who is in power.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I don't think you know what literally means. Or stakes for that matter.
    I'm not saying there are no stakes, but the pacing makes it seem like there are none.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    This is just as inaccurate as saying that right-wingers hate The Last Skywalker while left-wingers love it. Unless you have some proof that the people complaining are right-wing and the people praising it are left-wing it's just speculation. I could just as easily come up with reasons for right-wingers to love Krakoa and for left-wingers to hate it.
    Agreed. That’s a legitimately insulting and condescending assumption to make as it’s basically judging everything as being black and white and painting people by some template that they seem to think everyone fits into. One should never make assumptions of another’s political leanings as if they know them on that level. Hell, things like that shouldn’t even be brought into the conversation in the first place within this type of discussion because that’s a very easy way to make an ass of yourself.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    What hands?
    Mystical holding his arm or Ororo going for his butt? Or kitty...Kitty wtf?
    <unconsciousness does not mean consent >
    I don't want some false illusion of Raven caring about Kurt. At all. Its too late for her because its bull and that cute comeback towards Raven to just "make more babies..." well, it just ended up getting him back-handed.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-13-2021 at 07:29 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    It's probably too early to tell; I remember liking HoX/PoX but disliking X-Men and New Mutants, so I'm not sure how much of the good or the bad was Hickman or not. I want to say that it's probably bad, but we'll see.
    HoXPoX got me back into the X-Men, I was curious where he was taking the story. The pacing was slow but I have found that isn't something new in the way comic book stories are now told.
    You say you didn't like X-Men, yet for me it was the only title that every now and again would even get close to the quality of HoXPoX.

That baby was Chambers not NC's. That would be evident since he turned her down. Also this is not just my opinion its the truth. I didn't know where else to put it.

Also, I will not have to get any punishment for admitting this because I did not give up my womanhood (the stupidest thing started).
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-13-2021 at 07:36 AM.

Also: You are going to have to know the difference between Fanfiction and what's the truth and that doesn't mean when fanfiction is used as an insult towards comic authors but actual fanfiction. Read the comics or don't!
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-13-2021 at 03:18 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Also: You are going to have to know the difference between Fanfiction and what's the truth and that doesn't mean when fanfiction is used as an insult towards comic authors but actual fanfiction. Read the comics or don't!
    What fanfiction is insulting?

Extraordinary Member

Alright, my controversial opinion

They took away so much of Scott's development in Krakoa era.
    Aside from the fact that they ignore his Black suit phase completely and the fact that many X-men thought he was like a mutant Hitler.Seriously and now they made him leader of the X-team in NYC.How does that even work.Isn't he even worse of that magneto in the public eye.
    The fact that he would take orders from Xavier is just non-sensical.
    He does have some back-bone like in X of Swords but has no real power.

The man who ruined his life is now leading a team including his brother and he is powerless.He wanted Maddie to get ressurected as well but has no say in the matter.