Page 508 of 668 FirstFirst ... 8408458498504505506507508509510511512518558608 ... LastLast
Results 7,606 to 7,620 of 10015
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    A cure should be more of an insult to all mutants than anything else.
    Not all mutant powers are safe to have, maybe fine for the mutant ,but not those around them and so cure is better than incarceration/isolation.If Matthew Malloy had a cure available ,he'd probably take it.

Astonishing Member

Some mutants would also prefer to be "normal".

Some mutants wanting to be normal has been covered in the movies, The Gifted, and a little in Legion.

Remember when Rogue became normal in the movies? Think about Stryker's son.

Problem is that some people have made mutants a direct analogy to being an oppressed group, minority, race, gender, religion, etc. that not wanting to be what you were born as is offensive in 2021. Yet played straight in the comics, you can easily see how an overwhelming power sucks.

You should check Dan Slott's Fantastic Four run and whats happened to Franklin, it is offensive to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    I am not agreeing with his character being bad by themselves, but i agree with lot of them being used just for shock purpose, not the best aspect of that period.
    Especially Dummy whom just to point this out is one of 11 characters who have autism... apparently I don't really count Legion since he doesn't actually make any sense at all. Although it is faaaaarrrrr better than DC, hello Black Manta.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sForever View Post
    Some mutants wanting to be normal has been covered in the movies, The Gifted, and a little in Legion.

Remember when Rogue became normal in the movies? Think about Stryker's son.

Problem is that some people have made mutants a direct analogy to being an oppressed group, minority, race, gender, religion, etc. that not wanting to be what you were born as is offensive in 2021. Yet played straight in the comics, you can easily see how an overwhelming power sucks.
    Yeah this is the point where the "oppressed minority" analogy break down. People have a genuine reason to want to know what super powers you have. Realistically IRL you'd end up with a database of superpowers that's maintained by law enforcement personnel. Obviously SHIELD does that, but IRL it'd probably by available to regular law enforcement.

Which of course means that the cops would have a list of every known ability of every mutant on file.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah this is the point where the "oppressed minority" analogy break down. People have a genuine reason to want to know what super powers you have. Realistically IRL you'd end up with a database of superpowers that's maintained by law enforcement personnel. Obviously SHIELD does that, but IRL it'd probably by available to regular law enforcement.

Which of course means that the cops would have a list of every known ability of every mutant on file.
    No they wouldn't because your DNA and other medical situations would be protected under HIPA. A mutant by definition means that their mutation is tied directly to their body/DNA. So it would only be disclosed if those people made their powers public.

Just because you think you should know every person that has HIV so that you can avoid them doesn't mean you are allowed to that information unless they willing give that up.

BANNED

Does this apply to firearms as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    No they wouldn't because your DNA and other medical situations would be protected under HIPA. A mutant by definition means that their mutation is tied directly to their body/DNA. So it would only be disclosed if those people made their powers public.

Just because you think you should know every person that has HIV so that you can avoid them doesn't mean you are allowed to that information unless they willing give that up.
    Heh, my example is a list of what the police know about what you can do. If you actually keep your powers to yourself, then there'd be no data going into the database. Note how I didn't use the word Mutant in my post. In case you failed to guess why: it'd apply to everyone.... Mutant or not. In real life I think the source of your powers would be seen as far less important than how powerful you are. Seriously, Magneto or Hulk, which is scarier to a police officer? The answer IRL would probably be "yes". Both of them are people your average police officer wouldn't be able to do anything about.

Your HIV example is more akin to the Legacy Virus, or well... the measures that have already been taken to deal with COVID-19.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Does this apply to firearms as well?
    Interesting choice of question... since it already does. That's the entire point of registering firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBatman View Post
    You should check Dan Slott's Fantastic Four run and whats happened to Franklin, it is offensive to say the least.
    In what way?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Heh, my example is a list of what the police know about what you can do. If you actually keep your powers to yourself, then there'd be no data going into the database. Note how I didn't use the word Mutant in my post. In case you failed to guess why: it'd apply to everyone.... Mutant or not. In real life I think the source of your powers would be seen as far less important than how powerful you are. Seriously, Magneto or Hulk, which is scarier to a police officer? The answer IRL would probably be "yes". Both of them are people your average police officer wouldn't be able to do anything about.

Your HIV example is more akin to the Legacy Virus, or well... the measures that have already been taken to deal with COVID-19.
    Interesting choice of question... since it already does. That's the entire point of registering firearms.
    There are 3 tiers of mutants
    1) Mutants who have made their powers public (A list X-men or known criminals basically)
    2) Mutants who have mutations that a visible and can't be hidden either by sight or lack of control (Nightcrawler, Proteus , Glob, Lost, Morlocks etc)
    3) Mutants who can pass as humans and haven't made their powers public knowledge ( Cipher, street level background character)

Tier 1 and 2 anyone anywhere can know who those people are. A simple google or youtube video would have them all over it. Tier 3 are the ones that would need protection because they are mutants but have chosen to stay hidden for their own reasons and should be allowed to stay hidden if they choose.

No how you got your powers would be very important because mutants are born mutants. So you would have people trying to find out if kids or their own kids are going to become mutants. Are the people they are hiring secretly mutants. Are their parents mutants or family mutant lineage cause one might suspect that since they have a mutant parent they will also be a mutant. I could go on but you get the point. Mutants would hands down be oppressed in real life as well because it would turn into a witch hunt.

The random person who gets powers wouldn't be known until after they got the powers or made them public and would be far more rare than mutants. So mutants would get the brunt of all laws or discrimination because they reproduce. Remember there were millions of mutants at one point. There are not that many mutates in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    In what way?
    Because it’s written by Dan Slott.

Astonishing Member

not that stuff like this shouldn't be addressed, but am I the only one who found the revelation about Wilhelmina fairly random?

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    not that stuff like this shouldn't be addressed, but am I the only one who found the revelation about Wilhelmina fairly random?
    No, I thought it was kind of out of nowhere.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    In what way?
    According to Slott Franklin was never a mutant and as such does not deserve to be called one... I am not kidding.