Page 510 of 669 FirstFirst ... 10410460500506507508509510511512513514520560610 ... LastLast
Results 7,636 to 7,650 of 10029
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    The Acolytes and Xmen were used as imperfect reflections here because while the Xmen were generally supporting of each other the Acolytes were often less so. For example: Cargill(despite actually caring about Scanner) would often make fun of her for being useless in combat. This actually motivated Scanner to consider changing teams.... which seemingly only didn't happen because of how the UN was POed at the Acolytes and wanted to lock them all up in prison or something. Yeah, Cargill later became an Xman... and Scanner didn't... it's weird. Funny thing though is that Scanner's list of powers is pretty ridiculous. It's just that, they are mostly things that aren't directly useful in combat... unless you wanna sucker punch astral projections anyways.
    the Acolytes were the foils of the X-men so if the X-men supported each other and worked in organized teams, the Acolytes were divided between themselves and respected strenght over supporting each other. The problem with the Acolytes is that they were reunited first by Fabian Cortez as part of his plot to kill Magneto and later by Exodus but they didn´t have a defined mission to acomplish like the X-men had and this also affected their hability to work as a unit. Cargill decided to become and X-man after she had a change of heart and I am not sure what happened to Scanner, if she was living on Genosha it´s possible she´s still dead or she may be living on Krakoa already.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    yeah and as a fan even I like the Krakoa intrigue ,absolutely X-Men and the X-Universe has never been this engaging but I've noticed the interpersonal relationships and drama have taken a major backseat.It's a bit too blink and you'll miss.Like the Mystique story with Irene, it's interesting but there's not much backdrop , how did they get close , what makes Mystique one of the coldest people out there have such a soft spot for Irene?Like I don't know I feel like in previous writing cycles that would be explored deeper maybe with flashbacks, and that is just an example.The pace of Krakoa and the storylines are so kinetic there is little time for the characters to pause have introspection(except Wolverine maybe) the rest just seem to go through the motions as it were. Dont know if that makes sense , maybe that's what I mean by missing the positive beats.
    Agreed completely this ere would be a lot better if we got the chance to see the pov of the characters and their decisions and I hope the writers address this at some point appart from the revelation of Onslaught, he may explain some OOC moments from the characters but not those who have not died or the fact they seem to reactive when they used to always give their pov.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I like this train of thought, and am intrigued by how it stands in contrast to the Arakko way of doing things. "Our lead council is all Omegas, there's never been a non-Omega on it" and over on the Quiet Council of Krakoa, there are *some* Omegas, and some like Kitty, Kurt, Emma, etc. while other Omegas are clearly *not* ready for the Quiet Council (Iceman, Vulcan, Jim Jasper, Proteus, Elixir, etc.). Kurt and Emma and Scott and Ilyanna, among others, manage to be pretty darn important despite not being Omega (and the only mutants who can pull off a solo, Wolverine and Cable, also not Omegas...).

As much as having great 'Omega' power is *a* thing of value in mutant identity and 'status,' it's not the *only* thing that matters on Krakoa, unlike Arakko, where having the biggest mutant dick is all that matters.
    Yes Arakko follows Apocalypse´s belief of survival of the fittest so if you are strong you deserve to be in the ruling goverment and the rest must follow you but given they have been around for hundreds of years some of their council members have a lot of experience to go with their power but there are others who are also quite unstable who are not fit to rule but their powers allow them to do precisely this.

Krakoa is quite a new entity and their Council was made more to represent the different elements of their country and main mutant forces than about power and it´s a good thing because this allow all perspectives to be present in the decision making.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-22-2021 at 05:26 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    yeah and as a fan even I like the Krakoa intrigue ,absolutely X-Men and the X-Universe has never been this engaging but I've noticed the interpersonal relationships and drama have taken a major backseat.It's a bit too blink and you'll miss.Like the Mystique story with Irene, it's interesting but there's not much backdrop , how did they get close , what makes Mystique one of the coldest people out there have such a soft spot for Irene?Like I don't know I feel like in previous writing cycles that would be explored deeper maybe with flashbacks, and that is just an example.The pace of Krakoa and the storylines are so kinetic there is little time for the characters to pause have introspection(except Wolverine maybe) the rest just seem to go through the motions as it were. Dont know if that makes sense , maybe that's what I mean by missing the positive beats.
    I feel like the Mystique/Irene relationship was one that was already set up years ago when Destiny was alive, and in flashbacks in previous Mystique stories. We saw them as "good friends" (presumably all the writers were allowed to do back then) during their stint on the Brotherhood/Freedom Force, we saw Mystique's absolute devastation after Destiny is killed. It's not as well established as some X-Men relationships, but enough groundwork was laid in the past that I think writers don't feel the need to rehash it, just like you wouldn't rehash say, Gambit and Rogue. They are an established couple.

BUT, I completely agree about character interactions and interpersonal relationships. It varies from book to book, but a lot of stuff has gotten shoved into the background. Like, whatever is going on with Scott/Emma/Jean/Wolverine. If they want to hint at a poly relationship, fine, but I'd like some exploration of how all that works so that it makes sense for the characters. And obviously we can't show every single resurrection and reunion (although frankly, I would read an entire book focused on just that), but it makes zero sense to me that Emma's Hellions have been resurrected, and we never once see her interact with them. Siryn dies multiple times in X-Factor, and Banshee apparently doesn't even know about it. Over in Marauders, resurrected Pyro has apparently had zero contact with his old Brotherhood pals, at least from what we've seen on panel. I'm sure it all comes down to which characters writers want to use. No one has a storyline for any of the old Hellions (except Empath), so they just pop up in background shots, but it makes people feel weirdly disconnected from each other. Wouldn't Wolfsbane want to hang out with her old friend Catseye? Why isn't James Proudstar pushing the Five to get his brother back? I think one drawback of having all the mutants alive again and together in one place is that it gets all the more noticeable when characters that were previously best buddies are now ignoring each other because they're in different books.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin King View Post
    I feel like the Mystique/Irene relationship was one that was already set up years ago when Destiny was alive, and in flashbacks in previous Mystique stories. We saw them as "good friends" (presumably all the writers were allowed to do back then) during their stint on the Brotherhood/Freedom Force, we saw Mystique's absolute devastation after Destiny is killed. It's not as well established as some X-Men relationships, but enough groundwork was laid in the past that I think writers don't feel the need to rehash it, just like you wouldn't rehash say, Gambit and Rogue. They are an established couple.

BUT, I completely agree about character interactions and interpersonal relationships. It varies from book to book, but a lot of stuff has gotten shoved into the background. Like, whatever is going on with Scott/Emma/Jean/Wolverine. If they want to hint at a poly relationship, fine, but I'd like some exploration of how all that works so that it makes sense for the characters. And obviously we can't show every single resurrection and reunion (although frankly, I would read an entire book focused on just that), but it makes zero sense to me that Emma's Hellions have been resurrected, and we never once see her interact with them. Siryn dies multiple times in X-Factor, and Banshee apparently doesn't even know about it. Over in Marauders, resurrected Pyro has apparently had zero contact with his old Brotherhood pals, at least from what we've seen on panel. I'm sure it all comes down to which characters writers want to use. No one has a storyline for any of the old Hellions (except Empath), so they just pop up in background shots, but it makes people feel weirdly disconnected from each other. Wouldn't Wolfsbane want to hang out with her old friend Catseye? Why isn't James Proudstar pushing the Five to get his brother back? I think one drawback of having all the mutants alive again and together in one place is that it gets all the more noticeable when characters that were previously best buddies are now ignoring each other because they're in different books.
    Well, also, the fact it's not actually EVERYONE. like these three I mentioned in that other thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I really should have added pictures and descriptions.

Here we have three of the lesser known Mutants in Marvel comics. They have two things in common... they were in X-Statix, and they have plant based powers.

Miz-tree(Makiko Morioka): plant based physiology that lets her change size and shape to a considerable extent, the way Sarin nerve gas is mentioned in her tiny bio makes it sound like her unusual physiology might make her immune to it, and maybe other forms of nerve gas.

Sycamore: James Hutchinson is a big strong guy, but we don't know a lot about him other than that. He's somewhere close to 15 feet tall. Can he shrink down? I don't know.

Orchid: such a minor character she doesn't get a proper name. Her powers can make vines... and flowers... and.. that's all we know.
    Not sure if the writers forgot they existed or simply never heard of them. At any rate... the sheer number of characters makes actually using them all functionally impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBatman View Post
    According to Slott Franklin was never a mutant and as such does not deserve to be called one... I am not kidding.
    I’m not sure what’s offensive there but okay
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I’m not sure what’s offensive there but okay
    It was very Rachel Dolezal.

100% this. I find it so weird that many of the DoX books are spinning their wheels when they could literally just fill the pages with overdue character reunions and interactions. For example: why is one of the Hellfire brats getting two issues of focus in Marauders when Emma still hasn’t reunited with the Hellions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    100% this. I find it so weird that many of the DoX books are spinning their wheels when they could literally just fill the pages with overdue character reunions and interactions. For example: why is one of the Hellfire brats getting two issues of focus in Marauders when Emma still hasn’t reunited with the Hellions.
    Two reasons.

First, a reunion is not a story in itself, there needs to be something more.

Second, and this is likely the main reason, all notable reunions would have taken place in the time skip gap between Rosenberg's and Hickman's runs. The writers could of course do some flashbacks, but that is probably harder to fit into their stories.

Yeah, this bugs me too. You have all these characters who do nothing but stand in the back ground :/

Also... if Scanner was to show up... can she sucker-punch Kitty's phasing the same way she can hit astral forms? I don't remember seeing the two of them interact ever....

To be honest this is another thing I'd love to see. Comparisons of the powers of Mutants who've literally never met before.

Astonishing Member

I agree. If they feel the need to produce filler content because books are getting relaunched soon anyway, the main event that will shake up everything again is still a bit away, or they need to fill the 6 issue mark for their trades before cancelation, they could at least produce filler content that adresses the personal relationships and interactions these characters had build up over the decades, especialy with how X-men became so popular in part because of the soap opera aspects Claremont liked to use.

Though i've seen it critiqued several times allready, that some of these writers do not seem to "get" or care about the characters and their history, beyond what they can make them do in their stories (reduction to function over role or character) or say regardless if it fits the character or not, that they seem incapable of actualy accessing their rich history for filler content which would make at least fans of the character happy.

Marvel dropped the ball in not relaunching X-men Unlimited. That could have been used as an anthology series focused on different stories around the resurrected and recently returned characters

Fantastic Member

I would 100% be more interested in seeing Emma spend some time with her old Hellions than the Wilhemina "redemption," but I admit, I'm biased, and just don't give a single damn about the Hellfire brats. I'm honestly kind of resentful about Wilhemina getting this much focus in a book where a lot of characters keep getting squeezed out of the main story. We could have gotten a more in-depth Shinobi Shaw redemption instead, which would still fit in with Emma's vendetta against Sebastian, and he actually has an abusive back-story already established. As it is, Shinobi is just kind of there in the book, doing very little plotwise.

I know there's no good story reason to focus on resurrection reunions, but not seeing it still makes the characters seem very disconnected from each other. If nothing else, it seems like we could get some little glimpses of old friends hanging out together in the background, in places like the Hellfire Gala or the Green Lagoon bar. The artists seem to throw random mutants together for background shots, when we could have a glimpse of Rahne chatting with Catseye, or Emma talking to Jetstream, Tarot and Roulette, or Pyro, Avalanche and Blob all hanging out at the bar. It would make character relationships seem a little more real without necessarily taking up "story space."

I love Brissons new mutants and it should’ve had more issues it should good themes and more stuff about mutant youth I loved the cast a lot too

I would 100% be more interested in seeing Emma spend some time with her old Hellions than the Wilhemina "redemption," but I admit, I'm biased, and just don't give a single damn about the Hellfire brats. I'm honestly kind of resentful about Wilhemina getting this much focus in a book where a lot of characters keep getting squeezed out of the main story. We could have gotten a more in-depth Shinobi Shaw redemption instead, which would still fit in with Emma's vendetta against Sebastian, and he actually has an abusive back-story already established. As it is, Shinobi is just kind of there in the book, doing very little plotwise.

I know there's no good story reason to focus on resurrection reunions, but not seeing it still makes the characters seem very disconnected from each other. If nothing else, it seems like we could get some little glimpses of old friends hanging out together in the background, in places like the Hellfire Gala or the Green Lagoon bar. The artists seem to throw random mutants together for background shots, when we could have a glimpse of Rahne chatting with Catseye, or Emma talking to Jetstream, Tarot and Roulette, or Pyro, Avalanche and Blob all hanging out at the bar. It would make character relationships seem a little more real without necessarily taking up "story space."
    Oh yeah there are tons of characters that Marauders should have been focusing on before Wilhemina, but there are endless threads dedicated to that already.

I’d honestly take an annual issue focused on that gap between Rosenberg and HOX/POX. Maybe the sight of so many lost loved ones is what got so many behind Krakoa? Who knows but the story is just waiting to be told.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    It was very Rachel Dolezal.
    No more than Sinister being considered a mutant now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    No more than Sinister being considered a mutant now.
    Well Sinister's powers are Mutant powers... stolen to be sure, but still mutant in origin.