Page 542 of 655 FirstFirst ... 42442492532538539540541542543544545546552592642 ... LastLast
Results 8,116 to 8,130 of 9824
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I dont think that's fair... that Dani was super bland IMO and not very representative of the comic version.
    While that's true, I don't think writing a better Dani would have made as much of a difference in the film's quality as giving other characters more focus instead of her would have.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    While that's true, I don't think writing a better Dani would have made as much of a difference in the film's quality as giving other characters more focus instead of her would have.
    In general, it was a very cliche and like you said "low quality" movie. Of course it would have been better if the focus had been shared across the characters, but I don't think that was a core problem of the film. A bad film with a poorly characterized Dani shouldn't be used against the character. Same way that if any of the other New Mutants were cast as the POVs and given nothing to work with it shouldn't be a poor reflection on them.

Early Claremont is probably some of the best XMen stuff

Extraordinary Member

In general, it was a very cliche and like you said "low quality" movie. Of course it would have been better if the focus had been shared across the characters, but I don't think that was a core problem of the film. A bad film with a poorly characterized Dani shouldn't be used against the character. Same way that if any of the other New Mutants were cast as the POVs and given nothing to work with it shouldn't be a poor reflection on them.
    I did do a full rewrite of the film. Maybe check it out if you're interested.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Early Claremont is probably some of the best XMen stuff
    This is quite popular and accepted.
    Even someone like myself who doesn't laud him as Master and Saviour and is painfully aware of his short-comings as a writer will stand up and testify to your statement.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

I've seen it described, in this thread in fact, as "painful to read".

While that may be true in some portions (he had his failings) that specific opinion is most certainly an unpopular/controversial outlier.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    This is quite popular and accepted.
    Even someone like myself who doesn't laud him as Master and Saviour and is painfully aware of his short-comings as a writer will stand up and testify to your statement.
    Agreed

Heīs not perfect, I like his writting but I also notice his flaws, still the X-men became one of the best known franchises thanks to his hard work on the title for years, which includes the best selling comic in the medium, with a title he took after it was cancelled because of low sales back in the silver age and no one can take that from him imo.

Now that said, this doesnīt mean new writers canīt write the title as well and do great things with the characters and the franchise.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 10-17-2021 at 05:38 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Oh, absolutely.

This might not be controversial, but in the most recent X-Men Monday JDW talks about his opinions on growth and aging in comics: https://aiptcomics.com/2021/10/25/x-...een-book-club/

That’s the difference between what we do in comics and what happens in TV shows. On TV shows, they’re beings who are aging, even where they’re not supposed to, like when they’re playing vampires and stuff. They know that there’s a finite amount of stories that you can tell, so they lean into that and things have to permanently change. You have to grow characters. But that’s not the case here. And that’s why we can still be reading X-Men comics 60 years later, whereas there are very few TV shows that are still running from 60 years ago.

But when you look at a single character like Superman, I think it’s kind of a bummer that Superman has aged so much that he’s now a married guy with a son. And I know that some people want Spider-Man to be that and I’m glad he’s not because it changes the character from being someone you can relate to into someone who is like your dad. Now Superman is a weird character actually to do this with because not everybody relates to him in the first place. He’s kind of aspirational to begin with.
    I personally think this is one of the worst takes I've ever heard. We all know that comics thrive in the illusion of change, but so thoroughly embracing comics as a stagnant medium just seems like a way to stifle innovation and ensure that fans never get to see character growth. Also this idea that a character becoming a parent or entering any new stage of their life makes them unrelatable is honestly ridiculous.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 10-25-2021 at 07:15 AM.

This might not be controversial, but in the most recent X-Men Monday JDW talks about his opinions on growth and aging in comics: https://aiptcomics.com/2021/10/25/x-...een-book-club/

I personally think this one of the worst takes I've ever heard. We all know that comics thrive in the illusion of change, but so thoroughly embracing comics as a stagnant medium just seems like a way to stifle innovation and ensure that fans never get to see character growth. Also this idea that a character becoming a parent or entering any new stage of their life makes them unrelatable is honestly ridiculous.
    Yeah forced stagnation is really... bleah. :/as a reader it lets me know nothing really matters since the status quo will get reset anyways... :/

BANNED

I personally think this one of the worst takes I've ever heard. We all know that comics thrive in the illusion of change, but so thoroughly embracing comics as a stagnant medium just seems like a way to stifle innovation and ensure that fans never get to see character growth. Also this idea that a character becoming a parent or entering any new stage of their life makes them unrelatable is honestly ridiculous.
    There is literally nothing JDW has ever said that I will ever agree with. In fact I can't stand him. He's a colossal troll to the point where it's not even amusing, he just comes across as a self-entitled dick because he has a position of control over the direction of the books. I hated his X-Men Monday Q&As both because of how condescending his sarcasm came across, and how self-aggrandizing and "pat yourself on the back" his answers were.

I personally think this is one of the worst takes I've ever heard. We all know that comics thrive in the illusion of change, but so thoroughly embracing comics as a stagnant medium just seems like a way to stifle innovation and ensure that fans never get to see character growth. Also this idea that a character becoming a parent or entering any new stage of their life makes them unrelatable is honestly ridiculous.
    Especially considering the majority of Comic book readers/buyers/collectors are adults, in relationships...some married, with children.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah forced stagnation is really... bleah. :/as a reader it lets me know nothing really matters since the status quo will get reset anyways... :/
    This is a perfect example of what fans say they want vs what they really purchase, because if we were being realistic with time most of the X-men that you guys claim you like would be either dead or so old they wouldn't be combat ready.

The Academy X kids would be main team right now as adults while people like Cyclops would be in a wheel chair chair. Dani Moon star would be in her 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    This is a perfect example of what fans say they want vs what they really purchase, because if we were being realistic with time most of the X-men that you guys claim you like would be either dead or so old they wouldn't be combat ready.

The Academy X kids would be main team right now as adults while people like Cyclops would be in a wheel chair chair. Dani Moon star would be in her 60s.
    Um nobody said that they needed the characters to age in real time. That’s not the same as saying that everyone should stay in their twenties forever and have no character growth because comics is a stagnant medium.

Also I love the Academy X kids and would love for them to have a larger role.