Page 559 of 664 FirstFirst ... 59459509549555556557558559560561562563569609659 ... LastLast
Results 8,371 to 8,385 of 9955

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    X-Men went to the top and has stayed there all this time.
    That's just called being in denial.

X-Men will probably never reach the heights they used to be at.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    You could have used the conflagration of villains and old enemies as good story telling fodder, but, as has been stated before, Hickman’s stories take precedence over characterisation.
    yeah, gotta agree... sooo many things you could do just showing everyday life on Krakoa.... don't need yet another sentinel program or new genocide of Mutants to stop... on Krakoa a bar-brawl between the MLF and Marauders would be adequate reason for plot to happen.... that would probably be a fun fight too.

With the exception of New Mutants, X-23, All New Wolverine and X-Men Red, X-Men comics have not been good post AvX.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    With the exception of New Mutants, X-23, All New Wolverine and X-Men Red, X-Men comics have not been good post AvX.
    That may be less controversial than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That may be less controversial than you think.
    Oh that is good, also nice to see a fellow New X-Men Academy fan.

Astonishing Member

Controversial opinions:
    1) one can criticise the absolute mess of Krakoa’s government without wanting it destroyed

2) I am so goddamn sick of Emma. She’s hogging space from Storm and it’s just endless bitchy yet empty put downs wrapped in juvenile cheesecake

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post

2) I am so goddamn sick of Emma. She’s hogging space from Storm and it’s just endless bitchy yet empty put downs wrapped in juvenile cheesecake
    The second one is just a blatant lie. Storm has a position that is actually higher than Emma and is the star of the show in Sword (and soon apparently, X-men: Red) with every issue dedicated to show how much of an invincible badass she is. The idea that she's not getting spotlight, and because of Emma of all people, is just false.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    That's just called being in denial.

X-Men will probably never reach the heights they used to be at.
    If Feige manages to get to them before societal collapse, and sticks the landing, the franchise will ascend to it's loftiest of heights. Ever.

Now, will the comics ever match or exceed the commercial and creative success of the classical Claremont era? I won't hold my breath on that one(look at how bad Avengers comics are these days....).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Controversial opinions:
    1) one can criticise the absolute mess of Krakoa’s government without wanting it destroyed

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The second one is just a blatant lie. Storm has a position that is actually higher than Emma and is the star of the show in Sword (and soon apparently, X-men: Red) with every issue dedicated to show how much of an invincible badass she is. The idea that she's not getting spotlight, and because of Emma of all people, is just false.
    I think it is fair to say that Emma did find her place in the team initially(Morrison-Astonishing) by literally edging out both Jean and Ororo's positions. So much so that Jean was killed(and stayed dead for a good chunk), and Storm was married off to BP and largely absent as well. And Emma was reverted to evil villian when Jean(first as Jeen) and Ororo started coming back to the books more centrally(AvX -IvX era).

Emma's use as a forceful, domineering presence overlaps with Storm's leadership style, and as telepathic love interest for Scott, you have obvious Jean vibes. I think there's room for them all, but obviously some writers do prefer to consolidate the various archetypes down to just one, and Emma's mean edge let's them be more naughty. I was disappointed in Storm's place in the Krakoan government early in Hickman's run because of all the characters(except Magneto) she actually has the most experience with politics, having successfully negotiated with the UN Security Council (without overt telepathic influence)for her XSE global jurisdiction, and of course her time as Queen of Wakanda, and various dealings with other kingdoms/empires over the years. Her voice has been minimal, with writers preferring to have Sinister or Emma(especially hard in Marauders) chew the scenery. Her current ascension to Voice of Sol/ Regent of Arrakko is interesting in theory, but still in early days. Ewing is doing well so far, but I still haven't seen the intelligent, ambitious strategist-Ororo Claremont did so well in X-Treme X-Men almost 20 years ago.

Its not the characters faults, though; it's the writers/editors. As fans it's easy to get caught up in the story and forget that.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 12-23-2021 at 12:20 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I think it is fair to say that Emma did find her place in the team initially(Morrison-Astonishing) by literally edging out both Jean and Ororo's positions. So much so that Jean was killed(and stayed dead for a good chunk), and Storm was married off to BP and largely absent as well. And Emma was reverted to evil villian when Jean(first as Jeen) and Ororo started coming back to the books more centrally(AvX -IvX era).

Emma's use as a forceful, domineering presence overlaps with Storm's leadership style, and as telepathic love interest for Scott, you have obvious Jean vibes. I think there's room for them all, but obviously some writers do prefer to consolidate the various archetypes down to just one, and Emma's mean edge let's them be more naughty. I was disappointed in Storm's place in the Krakoan government early in Hickman's run because of all the characters(except Magneto) she actually has the most experience with politics, having successfully negotiated with the UN Security Council (without overt telepathic influence)for her XSE global jurisdiction, and of course her time as Queen of Wakanda, and various dealings with other kingdoms/empires over the years. Her voice has been minimal, with writers preferring to have Sinister or Emma(especially hard in Marauders) chew the scenery. Her current ascension to Voice of Sol/ Regent of Arrakko is interesting in theory, but still in early days. Ewing is doing well so far, but I still haven't seen the intelligent, ambitious strategist-Ororo Claremont did so well in X-Treme X-Men almost 20 years ago.

Its not the characters faults, though; it's the writers/editors. As fans it's easy to get caught up in the story and forget that.
    Yeah, Storm and Jean should have been the public faces of Krakoa... why would Xavier think it was a good idea to use Magneto and Aoocalypse for that purpose?

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Yeah, Storm and Jean should have been the public faces of Krakoa... why would Xavier think it was a good idea to use Magneto and Aoocalypse for that purpose?
    Probably the biggest misstep for me during this era is Hickman's overrreliance on "gray area" characters. I don't for a second believe that Xavier or Magneto would entrust their secrets or long term goals for Krakoa. To Emma over Scott, Logan, Ororo, Jean it simply feels forced imo. I said it months ago but Xavier nor Mags would run to Emma for help and clumsily expose their own hands without a solid back up plan. The entire relationship between Emma, Charles, and Erik seems forced and I've yet to see anything come from it other than superficial interactions, contrived storytelling, and the most ill-equipped Xavier and Magneto I've ever read.

I've said it once, and Inferno is a perfect example Hickman was never interested in stories about the X-men he wanted to tell stories about mutantdom. Which is fine, but to exclude Scott, Ororo, Jean, or Logan from the innermost points of this narrative when at various points they have been central figures in matters relating to mutants as a whole doesn't feel organic nor does it come off compelling in the story.

At least we have the last issue of Inferno to clear up 2 years of storytelling.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Probably the biggest misstep for me during this era is Hickman's overrreliance on "gray area" characters. I don't for a second believe that Xavier or Magneto would entrust their secrets or long term goals for Krakoa. To Emma over Scott, Logan, Ororo, Jean it simply feels forced imo. I said it months ago but Xavier nor Mags would run to Emma for help and clumsily expose their own hands without a solid back up plan. The entire relationship between Emma, Charles, and Erik seems forced and I've yet to see anything come from it other than superficial interactions, contrived storytelling, and the most ill-equipped Xavier and Magneto I've ever read.

I've said it once, and Inferno is a perfect example Hickman was never interested in stories about the X-men he wanted to tell stories about mutantdom. Which is fine, but to exclude Scott, Ororo, Jean, and Logan from the innermost points of this narrative when at various points have been central figures in matters relating to mutants as a whole doesn't feel organic nor does it come off compelling in the story.

At least we have the last issue of Inferno to clear up 2 years of storytelling.
    Honestly there's an interesting story there about the hubris of Magneto and Charles, which based on his past work is probably what was going to be aimed for. I imagine the end result would be a uniformly stronger Krakoa with the X-men specifically rejecting some of Mag and Charles' more gray ideas and trying to refocus. A lot of his previous works do have the themes of supposedly great men having their hubris convince them that morally grey choices are the right way to go only to be proven wrong in the end. He did it with the Illuminati, with the council of Reeds, etc. I predicted that the run would end with the next generation trying and succeeding in taking over from the older generation of leaders with more idealistic aims...but the X-office wanted the current thing to be stretched out so instead we get a rushed conclusion and lot of plot points quickly getting defused in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    It kinda makes sense that they would rely on Emma, since they were going to reveal to her their dirty secrets that they had kept from the rest of Krakoa, and they were going to ask her to help them with their intrigues. They probably thought Emma to be loyal enough to mutankind to not betray them, and pragmatist (and morally grey) enough to accept their underhanded methods. Xavier and Magneto probably thought that Scott, Jean or Storm would refuse to accept some of the dirtier but necessary stuff they intended to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Honestly there's an interesting story there about the hubris of Magneto and Charles, which based on his past work is probably what was going to be aimed for. I imagine the end result would be a uniformly stronger Krakoa with the X-men specifically rejecting some of Mag and Charles' more gray ideas and trying to refocus. A lot of his previous works do have the themes of supposedly great men having their hubris convince them that morally grey choices are the right way to go only to be proven wrong in the end. He did it with the Illuminati, with the council of Reeds, etc. I predicted that the run would end with the next generation trying and succeeding in taking over from the older generation of leaders with more idealistic aims...but the X-office wanted the current thing to be stretched out so instead we get a rushed conclusion and lot of plot points quickly getting defused in the background.
    It would be an interesting end for the arc if Xavier and Magneto's convoluted edifice of lies crashes and threatens to destroy all mutants, but the X-Men manage to save Krakoa, kick Xavier and Magneto out, and start rebuilding a more wholesome country for mutants.

So just to put into context,the phoenix bird is now a mythical native american thunderbird totem of legend that is now tied to echo and as far as avengers #51 can only be killed by it's baby daddy, it's baby, or Wanda. O___o
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    It kinda makes sense that they would rely on Emma, since they were going to reveal to her their dirty secrets that they had kept from the rest of Krakoa, and they were going to ask her to help them with their intrigues. They probably thought Emma to be loyal enough to mutankind to not betray them, and pragmatist (and morally grey) enough to accept their underhanded methods. Xavier and Magneto probably thought that Scott, Jean or Storm would refuse to accept some of the dirtier but necessary stuff they intended to do...

It would be an interesting end for the arc if Xavier and Magneto's convoluted edifice of lies crashes and threatens to destroy all mutants, but the X-Men manage to save Krakoa, kick Xavier and Magneto out, and start rebuilding a more wholesome country for mutants.
    Well... I mean... at the rate we're going we'll end up with splinter factions doing stuff like making a new version of Clan Akkaba, and stuff like that. Yeah... was anyone really dumb enough to think Apocalypse was going to just play along with people trying to build a hippie commune?